Training 2015/16 preseason training (discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

Only got there for the second half of the session so can't shed a lot of light but will provide what i can.

There was a lot of goal kicking and as usual a lot of short sided games where the focus is on quick hands in tight and short sharp kicking.
There was also a focus on moving the ball from defense. In this drill the main defenders (split into two teams) were Spurr who excelled, Johnson, Collins (who looked good), Morabito, Hughes, Tanner among others who I can't remember.

Griffin was punished at one stage for a dropped mark and a miss-kick and his group was made to run a lap. Outside of that the skills in the drills were pretty good with the usual suspects in Sonny, Hill, Weller, Sam P-S the pick of the group.

The goal kicking was hit and miss with a lot of the boys and kicking under fatigue is clearly a point of emphasis. Mayne was kicking the ball well though and hardly missed from what I saw and Shane Yarran was also accurate (not sure if he participated in all of the session though?)

There seemed to be a small rehab group today including Fyfe, Grey, Bennell, Suban? and a couple of others.

Of the young guys, Ueber did a bit but was also working off to the side away from the main group for parts of the session and is quite slight, as has been posted previously. Watching him though, his hands were pretty good and although he is very raw at this stage the potential is there.
Didn't see much of the others although Collins was good (kicking was a bit shaky though) and Darcy Tucker was competing well in the short sided games and used the ball well.

Others of note who trained well IMO were Ballantyne, Neale, Tendai, Hurley (very fit and growing with confidence) and Blakely.

Top 5 for the TTHD award today were: Ballas, Neale, Weller, Mayne and Gu (others mentioned above were unlucky).

Training today was attended by Channels 7, 9 & 10 obviously responded to the announcement of the new coaching structure and roles that had been approved by the Dockers Board and to view the new coaches working with players.

Training started with the usual warm up drills with handball (to develop quick hands) and kicking.

There wasnt as much emphasis on lap running today but a lot of running was undertaken within game simulation where players moved the ball on by hand or foot and ran on to receive or ran to cover an opposition player. The first part of the session after warming up was broken into 3 groups (forwards, backs and mids) with new line coaches working within their respective speciality roles.

In this part of the session it is difficult from where you sit to notice all the players in each group. I sat at the clubhouse verandah so I saw more of the forwards with the backs at the other end of the ground and the mids on the far scoreboard side. (Jedi often sits on the scoreboard side so he has seen more of the mids which has been reflected in some of his reports).

I have noticed that they are putting a lot of work into Tabs and Tanner Smith about holding your ground and getting front position to mark the ball. In earlier sessions of the pre-season they have had Grif and Hannath working on positioning at CHF. It appears that Tabs (who didn't drop a mark when charging out on leads is being earmarked for that key Forward position at this early stage so obviously Pav will play deeper. In the early part of this phase David Hale defended against Tabs in marking contests in that way letting Tabs gain first hand feedback.

David Hale is very impressive in the way he goes about his coaching duties and he will provide a significant contribution to our club.

The next phase was the whole squad that was on the ground were having shots at goals and we still struggle to put the ball through the goals but the much maligned Chris Mayne was accurate today. Irish was accurate and of course Son Son and Ballas excelled as did Sandi in this phase. The goal kicking drill was done twice today and with some 35 players or thereabouts shooting for goals from all angles there are bodies everywhere and footies being kicked at all sorts of angles.

Ross came out onto the ground in the middle of the session where they were in the 3 groups and that is where they did some short low level passing but they were hardly the old stab kicks that us old guys remember from the good old days when the likes of Barry Cable played .The second half of the day is well covered cp3_jr see his earlier post. In the first half of training the usual pair Son Son and Lache Neale were IMO the best performers.

The rehab group were once again on light duties and no on field running but a number of them like Nathan Fyfe Micky Barlow (his Birthday is this Friday) Harley Bennell were involved adjacent to the Clubhouse end Goals doing handball and reflex work. Harley Balic, Shane Yarran (no tape on his knee today) Michael Apeness (limp isn't as pronounced today) and Nick Suban came out for a look at training as did Clancee Pearce and Cameron Sutcliffe with the remainder working out in the Gym. Pav was unsighted today and he didn't appear on the track on Monday either.

It was a good session albeit a little warmer and possibly more work was done in intensive game simulation (almost full field) in the last half of the days session as against doing laps.

Tayl0r pls post this to Training Reports in the under construction thread

I can confirm my knee surgery went well and Im ready for a full recovery, ready by the NAB Challenge :p

Think I might have some problems with ASADA should they come knocking on the door however :eek:

Alright my fun's over, carry on, kind of high right now :drunk:

Reminds me of coming off my ACL op. Came out of surgery, woke up in the room, called mum and told her the weed at the hospital was really good quality :drunk:
the post anesthetic high is a really euphoric place ( I'm not advocating taking surgery here kids ) ..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I got down to training late today but was pleased to see Nat Fyfe running laps and doing a lot of goal kicking practice . He looks in great shape and gave a big hello good to see ya .
Clancee ,Sutcliffe, Suban and Grey where doing laps followed by stoppage blocking and grappling . They also did some goal kicking .
Clarke came out of the gym and said that his knees were a lot better and he would be ready for preseason games .
Yarran was doing goal kicking and had his knee strapped .
Harley Balic was doing laps . He just looks so good when he is running . Others like Clancee pound their way around the track where Harley like Hill and Fyfe just seam to effortlessly glide running on top of the grass hardly touching it . Harley's building some great muscle definition so he must be doing extra time with the weights .
He appears to be very serious about getting his fitness up to senior player levels as quickly as he can . I am getting excited about how soon he will be pushing for a best 22 position .
Silvagni was practicing his marking and kicking out from the goal square . He had a breeze behind him and the ball was regularly caring 10 and 15 meters past the 50 metre line .

There were quite a few in the Gym and Apeness came out briefly and had a bit of a kick before heading back in .On my way out of the ground Griffin walked passed and he was in good spirits .
So there wasn't that much going on out on the oval but those out there were working hard .

I got down to training late today but was pleased to see Nat Fyfe running laps and doing a lot of goal kicking practice . He looks in great shape and gave a big hello good to see ya .
Clancee ,Sutcliffe, Suban and Grey where doing laps followed by stoppage blocking and grappling . They also did some goal kicking .
Clarke came out of the gym and said that his knees were a lot better and he would be ready for preseason games .
Yarran was doing goal kicking and had his knee strapped .
Harley Balic was doing laps . He just looks so good when he is running . Others like Clancee pound their way around the track where Harley like Hill and Fyfe just seam to effortlessly glide running on top of the grass hardly touching it . Harley's building some great muscle definition so he must be doing extra time with the weights .
He appears to be very serious about getting his fitness up to senior player levels as quickly as he can . I am getting excited about how soon he will be pushing for a best 22 position .
Silvagni was practicing his marking and kicking out from the goal square . He had a breeze behind him and the ball was regularly caring 10 and 15 meters past the 50 metre line .

There were quite a few in the Gym and Apeness came out briefly and had a bit of a kick before heading back in .On my way out of the ground Griffin walked passed and he was in good spirits .
So there wasn't that much going on out on the oval but those out there were working hard .
Thanks for the report . The guys training that you mention less Griff are the Rehab group. Did you see your mate DeLuca and say hello as he seems to have gone missing this week or is hiding in the Gym.

Reminds me of coming off my ACL op. Came out of surgery, woke up in the room, called mum and told her the weed at the hospital was really good quality :drunk:
the post anesthetic high is a really euphoric place ( I'm not advocating taking surgery here kids ) ..
Knee realignment myself. I'm normally a shy bloke but I was an absolute motor mouth for a while there, and still am a bit.

I got an infection after my 2nd ACL recon and was laying on the hospital bed trying to be all tough (in front of a very good looking nurse)by not taking any pain killers after my surgery. I had a drain inserted into my knee getting rid of the gunk and like a mighty bazooka the pain hit me. She walked over and asked if I wanted something for the pain and all I could do was nod my head and try not to curl into the fetal position. She came back and injected my left leg with this wonderful stuff. 2 Minutes later my family decides to walk in and see me. I don't remember the conversation I had with them, but I get reminded of it from time to time. So glad smart phones weren't a big thing back then!!

Thanks for the report . The guys training that you mention less Griff are the Rehab group. Did you see your mate DeLuca and say hello as he seems to have gone missing this week or is hiding in the Gym.
Hi Danny ,
Yea I failed to mention him .He came out from the gym and kicked the ball for about 5 minutes at the goals , gave a wave then disappeared back into the gym . He looks to have gained a couple of Kgs through the core and into the thighs.
Weber seams to be concentrating on the boys core and upper body development while the other coaches are looking at the way the boys get up and moving from contests .Today in one of the drills Clancee ,Sutcliffe Suban and Grey had to lay on their ground ,role their body then spring into a sprinting stance and push off from each other . They did that for about 10 minutes .Extremely taxing ,they were all blowing hard at the end of it .

He was training a bit on Tuesday. Spent most of the time hiding inside though.

Today in one of the drills Clancee ,Sutcliffe Suban and Grey had to lay on their ground ,role their body then spring into a sprinting stance and push off from each other . They did that for about 10 minutes .Extremely taxing ,they were all blowing hard at the end of it .
Some of the boys were doing this yesterday too - opposite side of the ground so I couldn't see who it was. It looked crazy hard!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back