Training 2015/16 preseason training (discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

I attended training today. It was, yet again, lovely sitting on the terraces under the Morton Bay Fig trees with Allikat, Gaskin and Harry Reems.

All will be glad to hear Pav was out there, training in full and moving well. Mundy was in everything and looking a million dollars.

There was full ground ball movement exercises with the ball coming out of defence to a contest on the wing, and then someone on the slingshot from the centre circle to run forward and receive the ball inside 50. Generally the skills looked good and most kicks were well placed and weighted. Ed Langdon was very involved and looked good. Sonny (as ever) also looked all class. Sandi is moving like a spring chicken.

There was quite a bit of set shot goal kicking and I feel it looked better than this time last year.

Sonny and Lachie Neale are clear leaders amongst the younger set (although Sonny can hardly be classed as the younger set these days).

It is always hard to go past Sonny for TTHD, but today it has to go to Mundy.

I also must mention that de Boer had a good run with the ball which included a lovely shimmy. He is working hard to hold a place.

I attended training today. It was, yet again, lovely sitting on the terraces under the Morton Bay Fig trees with Allikat, Gaskin and Harry Reems.

All will be glad to hear Pav was out there, training in full and moving well. Mundy was in everything and looking a million dollars.

There was full ground ball movement exercises with the ball coming out of defence to a contest on the wing, and then someone on the slingshot from the centre circle to run forward and receive the ball inside 50. Generally the skills looked good and most kicks were well placed and weighted. Ed Langdon was very involved and looked good. Sonny (as ever) also looked all class. Sandi is moving like a spring chicken.

There was quite a bit of set shot goal kicking and I feel it looked better than this time last year.

Sonny and Lachie Neale are clear leaders amongst the younger set (although Sonny can hardly be classed as the younger set these days).

It is always hard to go past Sonny for TTHD, but today it has to go to Mundy.

I also must mention that de Boer had a good run with the ball which included a lovely shimmy. He is working hard to hold a place.

I wish I could have joined you but I'll be there on Monday. Thanks for the awesome post.

Great catching up with Allikat and meeting Dockerfemme for the first time today. l also had a brief chat with "blast from the past" Imadocker on the shady terraces over by the prison wall.

I hope Salim and JMT had good excuses for not being there today, as the markets were open and the coffee was flowing.

I forgot my binoculars today so I wasn't sure "who was who" out there, however Sonny's voice and amazing pace and skills with the ball could not be mistaken for anyone else.

The main focus of training today was moving the ball from the backline at the southern or hospital end of the ground, then up the prison side boundary line and into the forward line for a shot on goal at the markets end of the ground.

It was all about hitting targets and fast ball movement along the boundary line.

The process started with Ibbo, Mora, Danyle Pearce, Johnno, Muz or Lee Spurr taking turns in driving ball up onto the prison side wing where Tabs, Sandi, or Griff were waiting. They would then either go long to CHF where Pav, Mayne or Crozier were waiting, or they would give off a quick handpass to a running Sonny Walters or Hayden Ballantyne who would then run in for a shot on open goal, or look for a free player such as Lachie Neale standing 20 metres out from goal to give the ball to.

The skills were great and Tabs and Chris Mayne marked everything in sight.

Sandi was in fine form whilst Matt de Boer (Spider Pig), Ed Langdon and Conor Blakey also impressed today.

David Mundy was another whose skills shone in the centre of the ground today and Hayden Crozier and Tommy T-Train also had me impressed.

Lachie Weller just ran lap after lap casually whilst the rehab boys weren't seen at all today and will most likely train tomorrow.

I did see Nat Fye and Ross Lyon arriving as we were leaving though.

Last edited:
Great catching up with Allikat and meeting Dockerfemme for the first time today. l also had a brief chat with "blast from the past" Imadocker on the shady terraces over by the prison wall.

I hope Salim and JMT had good excuses for not being there today, as the markets were open and the coffee was flowing.

I forgot my binoculars today so I wasn't sure "who was who" out there, however Sonny's voice and amazing pace and skills with the ball could not be mistaken for anyone else.

The main focus of training today was moving the ball from the backline at the southern or hospital end of the ground, then up the prison side boundary line and into the forward line for a shot on goal at the markets end of the ground.

It was all about hitting targets and fast ball movement along the boundary line.

The process started with Ibbo, Mora, Danyel Pearce, Johnno, Muz or Lee Spurr taking turns in driving ball up onto the prison side wing where Tabs, Sandi, or Griff were waiting. They would then either go long to CHF where Pav, Mayne or Crozier were waiting, or they would give off a quick handpass to a running Sonny Walters or Hayden Ballantyne who would then run in for a shot on open goal, or look for a free player standing 20 metres out from goal to give the ball to.

Sandi was in fine form whilst Matt de Boer and Conor Blakey also impressed today.

David Mundy was another whose skills shone in the cenrtre of the gorund today and Hayden Crozier and Tommy T-Train also had me impressed.

Lachie Weller just ran lap after lap casually whilst the rehab boys weren't seen at all today and will most likely train tomorrow.

I'm surfing down south til Sunday. See you Monday. I owe you a coffee and vanilla slice.

Weller has basically done everything so far and not surprised if he has been running laps. He's been working with the mids the whole time in drills.

Can't believe he's only 19 as he's definitely bulked up. Weller was slighter than Conner and now looks bigger.

I wish I could have joined you but I'll be there on Monday. Thanks for the awesome post.

The Big Footy training watchers are having their Christmas get together on Monday the 21st of December at the Norfolk Hotel.

Kick off is after training at 11.30am followed by lunch afterwards at a location mutally chosen by those in attendance.

However we need a volunteer to play Santa on Monday.

All they need to do is dress up as Santa and then empty their sack at the pub.

Big turn out of training watchers today. It was lovely to catch up with everyone that I haven't seen in so long.

Early part of the session they were warming up with some short running drills. Johnno was getting some one on one attention, but looks to be running so much better & free-er than the end of last year. ]

The rehab guys were either not there or hiding away in the gym (so no Fyfe today :( )

Uebergang was training up back in the full ground drills - and doing a pretty great job focusing on passing from the full-back position. Langdon was hogging the outside run and looking great.

Neale was a major stand out - he just looks a step up from a lot of the other guys out there. Don't be surprised if he has a bigger & better year than last year. What a draft bargain he's turned out to be!!

Other stand-outs: The old folks home in Sandi & Pav were showing the younger kids how it's done. They both look a million bucks - so basically worth the amount they're getting paid :p Sandi did some work with Ballas either tapping or handballing down to him with Ballas clearing to a man about 30m away.

All our young kids looked pretty great out there today. Early on in the session they split into best 22 & young kids, and Collins & Crozier were in the best 22 group so that's exciting.

And so it doesn't look like we're seeing training through rose coloured glasses: Nyhuis had some pretty average positioning & leads today, got a few yells of what to do. And there were a few dropped marks from anyone that could be considered a tall defender.

I'd give TTHD to Langdon, Pav, Neale today

The process started with Ibbo, Mora, Danyel Pearce, Johnno, Muz or Lee Spurr taking turns in driving ball up onto the prison side wing where Tabs, Sandi, or Griff were waiting. They would then either go long to CHF where Pav, Mayne or Crozier were waiting, or they would give off a quick handpass to a running Sonny Walters or Hayden Ballantyne who would then run in for a shot on open goal, or look for a free player standing 20 metres out from goal to give the ball to.

Sandi was in fine form whilst Matt de Boer and Conor Blakey also impressed today.

David Mundy was another whose skills shone in the cenrtre of the gorund today and Hayden Crozier and Tommy T-Train also had me impressed.

Thanks for the report
Big turn out of training watchers today. It was lovely to catch up with everyone that I haven't seen in so long.

Early part of the session they were warming up with some short running drills. Johnno was getting some one on one attention, but looks to be running so much better & free-er than the end of last year. ]

The rehab guys were either not there or hiding away in the gym (so no Fyfe today :( )

Uebergang was training up back in the full ground drills - and doing a pretty great job focusing on passing from the full-back position. Langdon was hogging the outside run and looking great.

Neale was a major stand out - he just looks a step up from a lot of the other guys out there. Don't be surprised if he has a bigger & better year than last year. What a draft bargain he's turned out to be!!

Other stand-outs: The old folks home in Sandi & Pav were showing the younger kids how it's done. They both look a million bucks - so basically worth the amount they're getting paid :p Sandi did some work with Ballas either tapping or handballing down to him with Ballas clearing to a man about 30m away.

All our young kids looked pretty great out there today. Early on in the session they split into best 22 & young kids, and Collins & Crozier were in the best 22 group so that's exciting.

And so it doesn't look like we're seeing training through rose coloured glasses: Nyhuis had some pretty average positioning & leads today, got a few yells of what to do. And there were a few dropped marks from anyone that could be considered a tall defender.

If Neale got a big 2016 season , all the people that mention to trade him out deserve a slap in the face by their own hand.

The Big Footy training watchers are having their Christmas get together on Monday the 21st of December at the Norfolk Hotel.

Kick off is after training at 11.30am followed by lunch afterwards at a location mutally chosen by those in attendance.

However we need a volunteer to play Santa on Monday.

All they need to do is dress up as Santa and then empty their sack at the pub.

So Capri it is :)

Please don't embarrass us again. Last time you chatted up the waitress while Freo Girl chatted you up. :oops::confused::$

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree whole heartedly on this. I was watching him last Monday in the short, sharp kicking drills and snap shots for goal and he was nailing every one of them. He's an absolute beauty is Lachie who will be AA. Love him, he's top shelf IMO. Our midfield is looking scary good with the addition of Bennell:eek:

Agree whole heartedly on this. I was watching him last Monday in the short, sharp kicking drills and snap shots for goal and he was nailing every one of them. He's an absolute beauty is Lachie who will be AA. Love him, he's top shelf IMO. Our midfield is looking scary good with the addition of Bennell:eek:

As much as I like the look of Tucker imagine Pav and Sunshine leading towards Bennell, Mundy and Hill

The rehab guys weren't there today they trained yesterday but they are on a different schedule to the main group so no Fyfe but Bennell was there in normal threads when he drove up in his Jeep with his Manager. Alex Pearce appeared to not be out on the track today we couldn't spot him from up on the verandah. It was a great session today and I feel Apeness, Clarke; Yarran and Balic would have got a lot out of it if they had been involved and we all know the more you practice the better you get. Apeness and Clarke both need to lift their performance to be competitive for a spot in the 22.

The rehab guys weren't there today as they trained yesterday but they are on a different schedule to the main group so no Fyfe but Bennell was there in normal threads when he drove up in his Jeep with his Manager. Alex Pearce appeared to not be out on the track today we couldn't spot him from up on the verandah. It was a great session today and I feel Apeness, Clarke; , Brady Grey, Yarran and Balic who are all in the rehab group would have got a lot out of it if they had been involved and we all know the more you practice the better you get. Apeness and Clarke both need to lift their performance to be competitive for a spot in the 22.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back