Training 2015/16 preseason training (discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

The rehab guys weren't there today they trained yesterday but they are on a different schedule to the main group so no Fyfe but Bennell was there in normal threads when he drove up in his Jeep with his Manager. Alex Pearce appeared to not be out on the track today we couldn't spot him from up on the verandah. It was a great session today and I feel Apeness, Clarke; Yarran and Balic would have got a lot out of it if they had been involved and we all know the more you practice the better you get. Apeness and Clarke both need to lift their performance to be competitive for a spot in the 22.

Apeness and Clarke are doing a rehab program so at the moment that's not possible.

As much as I like the look of Tucker imagine Pav and Sunshine leading towards Bennell, Mundy and Hill
Where we playing Tabs then ? He took a good solid out the front of the body mark today and held onto it. Maybe he is improving.Pav's retiring before Sunshine gets here in 2017/8 if ever. What if we get Hogan before him then surely we wont get Sunshine as we wont have room in salary cap to get him as we need money for Fyfe and Neale who will both be Superstars by then.

Where we playing Tabs then ? He took a good solid out the front of the body mark today and held onto it. Maybe he is improving.Pav's retiring before Sunshine gets here in 2017/8 if ever. What if we get Hogan before him then surely we wont get Sunshine as we wont have room in salary cap to get him as we need money for Fyfe and Neale who will both be Superstars by then.

There's little chance of us getting Hogan, despite what we all hope. And I'd say there's a decent chance of us getting McCarthy at end of 2016, despite him still being contracted.

And if we were able to attract both of them, by then we'd have Sandilands, Pavlich, Mundy, D.Pearce and others off the books, plus I would presume a higher salary cap. I think we could find a way to fit them in and keep our core stars, if the two big forwards wanted to play for us.

We can have Tabs and Cam

For those that can't be at Freo today there is almost a full sqad training. The oval is wall to wall players including Pav, mundy ,fyfe ,Suban and all of this year's recruits.
I wish you were here to see the work that they are putting in.

Nice one Coulda. Is Bennell out there again yet? What about my boy Ooba?

Big turn out of training watchers today. It was lovely to catch up with everyone that I haven't seen in so long.

Neale was a major stand out - he just looks a step up from a lot of the other guys out there. Don't be surprised if he has a bigger & better year than last year. What a draft bargain he's turned out to be!!

Other stand-outs: The old folks home in Sandi & Pav were showing the younger kids how it's done. They both look a million bucks - so basically worth the amount they're getting paid :p Sandi did some work with Ballas either tapping or handballing down to him with Ballas clearing to a man about 30m away.

All our young kids looked pretty great out there today. Early on in the session they split into best 22 & young kids, and Collins & Crozier were in the best 22 group so that's exciting.

And so it doesn't look like we're seeing training through rose coloured glasses: Nyhuis had some pretty average positioning & leads today, got a few yells of what to do. And there were a few dropped marks from anyone that could be considered a tall defender.

I'd give TTHD to Langdon, Pav, Neale today

A great year draft wise for Freo and he is the best of them by far. Already a very good player who could be anything.

Yes,yes and yes .
The whole squad at training
Sandi ,Hill Bennell, Mzungu,Obbo,Morro Sheridan,Spurr,Johnson,Sonny,D.Pearce, Taberner,Griffin,Hannath,Smith, Sutcliffe ,DeBoer,Yarran,Balic,,Barlow Grey,Ny,Clarke,Deluca,Hughes,Langdon just to name a few.
I had a talk with one of the trainers and the exercise of laying on the ground ,rolling and springing up into a sprint stance was designed for the rehab guys that have had shoulder surgery and need to get the strength back.
Balic was pumping out laps then trying to kick goals very unsuccessfully . He has a long way to go in that area but I can't fault his efforts to get into peak condition.
The oval work was all finished by 10.15 am .

Is there training on Monday? If so I will be there and will do my best to do a 'personal best' training report.

BTW: I ve only seen a couple of sessions, but I think Hurley's name will be mentioned as part of our future forward line group by the middle of next season. Tabs and Hurley are two future key forwards already on our list. If we only recruit McCarthy our forward in the post pav years already looks good iMO.

Is there training on Monday? If so I will be there and will do my best to do a 'personal best' training report.

BTW: I ve only seen a couple of sessions, but I think Hurley's name will be mentioned as part of our future forward line group. Tabs, McCarthy and Hurley.

Hurley @ 193cm ftw!

Excited for 2016

In b4 overexcitement at any potential forward over 190cm :drunk:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A couple of points from training. The boys out on the park worked incredibly hard today. There was one drill involving a stack of disc weights attached to about 20 metres of thick rope that was pulled hand over hand from a squat position. A bunch of players with shoulder issues were walking with heavy hand weights apparently to strengthen them up. Saw Ibbo, Sutty, Sonny, and Ballas among others doing this
Yaran looks silk. His kicking for goal on the run is a thing of beauty. Hopefully we have found another forward.
Clancy nailed a banana from the fence straight through the big sticks, he can kick it.

A couple of points from training. The boys out on the park worked incredibly hard today. There was one drill involving a stack of disc weights attached to about 20 metres of thick rope that was pulled hand over hand from a squat position. A bunch of players with shoulder issues were walking with heavy hand weights apparently to strengthen them up. Saw Ibbo, Sutty, Sonny, and Ballas among others doing this
Yaran looks silk. His kicking for goal on the run is a thing of beauty. Hopefully we have found another forward.
Clancy nailed a banana from the fence straight through the big sticks, he can kick it.
Love that comment of Yarran looking silky Freo. I think he's going to be really exciting for us.

Love that comment of Yarran looking silky Freo. I think he's going to be really exciting for us.

Shane Yarran did an enormous amount of running today and another agility thingy around ground markers.
He appeared comfortable with the load and I would expect the knee bandage will be off after the Christmas break.
He also completed a lot of kicking at goal on the run.
He really is a sharp player . Quick as all buggary and drills goals.

Fyfe with a similar load of running to Yarran, today; Also the agility exercise which left Nat exhausted.
Definitely pushing himself in the conditioning stakes and has probably caught up to the others.
Nat and Ross came out of the gym and ran over to the scoreboard flank and had a kick to kick for about twenty
Minutes to complete the morning session.
I missed seeing Harley Bennell but I was told he had been out earlier before heading for the gym.

Players everywhere today, on the ground, in the gym and others including Pav and Mora, boxing in the South Freo gym.

BTW: I ve only seen a couple of sessions, but I think Hurley's name will be mentioned as part of our future forward line group by the middle of next season. Tabs and Hurley are two future key forwards already on our list. If we only recruit McCarthy our forward in the post pav years already looks good iMO.

I'll be there on Monday as I'm there sometimes. Hopefully bump into you or fellow posters.

Great news on yarran getting over his knee. Hope Hurley can make an impact this year that would be such a bonus.
Ps how good was Taberner in the drills today?

Hurley's a bloody beauty with a character to match. Everything I've seen heard and read screams courage, humility, intelligence and talent. I just love the lad.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back