Training 2015/16 preseason training (discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes stop guessing everyone, it was in fact Mora.

Great to read too that I wasn't dreaming and that this passage of play was actually witnessed by other over optimistic training watchers who were down there too.

Unfortunately though no houses were seen collapsing during this time and we all must now sit back and wait for Mora to once again do another knee or simply fade away into obscurity in the seconds at Peel.

A Miserable Christmas to everyone. I'm off to piss in the punchbowl at my work Christmas do.

Then can you please explain how he was in the top four of the best and fairest up until round six or seven? There is a basic lack of impartial judgement of his performances by some on here that is absurd. It is one of the safest bets in the world he will be in the team come round 1 and is looking in fantastic shape at training. D.Pearce will be a major beneficiary of Bennell joining the club as he will be matched up on the third quickest mid for extended periods in a game.

Sorry, but you seriously watch him with the definition of the opposite of the "Rose coulured glasses' approach. BTW I wish you a merry christmas in all seriousness.
He started the season well, no arguments there, but when he reverted back to his usual self he was racking up turnovers, by hand and foot, not just one or two. He panics under pressure, pure and simple, and I believe the team will be more effective without him in it.

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

There was one passage of play during the match sims on Monday when Morra was taking the kick in after the opposing side had kicked a behind at the southern end of the ground. He took the safe option and hit up the spare man (Danyle Pearce) 15 metres away deep in the back pocket on the prison side of the ground.

Danyle then kicked the ball perfectly to Michael Johnson standing at the top of the 50m arc who then gave off a handball to a running player who just blistered with pace through the centre of the ground driving the ball lace out to Pav in the forward 50m arc.

Can anyone guess who that running player was?

Well, that effectively gave me a semi.

Great to read too that I wasn't dreaming and that this passage of play was actually witnessed by other over optimistic training watchers who were down there too.

Unfortunately though no houses were seen collapsing during this time and we all must now sit back and wait for Mora to once again do another knee or simply fade away into obscurity in the seconds at Peel.

A Miserable Christmas to everyone. I'm off to piss in the punchbowl at my work Christmas do.

too positive mate, tone it down a bit.

I'm a boy from the bush Dan and don't do them report thingys.
Langdon reminded me of myself over a hundred:all effortless class and unmatchable speed.
Weller is a distinct downgrade on my looks but still presentable.
Blakely has the potential to match my physicality, vision,handball speed,run and advanced reading the game skills.
salim malik If your that Good scon the Dockers should have drafted you as your Brownlow Medal material but then on reflection I think you would be good over at Wet Toast. hA ha

Last edited:
I would like to echo what Sheriff mentioned before in the top trainers.

Both Griffen and Sandi look terrific. With Zarke still in rehab both Sandi and Griff will hopefully work well together.

I'm not sure if teams will go with one ruck now that the sub rule has finished. If so Griffen will most likely not play.

Then can you please explain how he was in the top four of the best and fairest up until round six or seven? There is a basic lack of impartial judgement of his performances by some on here that is absurd. It is one of the safest bets in the world he will be in the team come round 1 and is looking in fantastic shape at training. D.Pearce will be a major beneficiary of Bennell joining the club as he will be matched up on the third quickest mid for extended periods in a game.

Sorry, but you seriously watch him with the definition of the opposite of the "Rose coulured glasses' approach. BTW I wish you a merry christmas in all seriousness.

I'll explain: Daniel Pearce had a solid start to the year. One could argue that he was one of the reasons why Freo were so dominant in the opening rounds of the season. However, as the season progressed DP became more erratic with his disposal, and by the end of the season our forwards were wearing Kevlar Helmets due to all the bomb kicks that DP was dropping.

In short: What I remember most about DP's 2015 season was the shot at goal he had from the goal square (I think against the Giants). He threw the ball onto the ground, and in general seemed very nonchalant and flippant. He ends up slamming the ball into the post, or missing. This perfectly summed up DP as a player: Prone to brain fades, but can sometimes execute the impossible.

Each training session I have been to this preseason, I'm don't wear my rose coloured glasses.

But I can honestly say that I am bowled over by this group of athletes we have at our disposal. To me,I am certain we have the best list we have ever had in terms of depth.

The way they all train,I can't think of one player who is not giving his heart and soul to better himself.
When I have watched this group train, some of the skills I have seen have really excited me.
I'm really interested to see how our team shapes this year,there's going to be some serious competition for spots.
So there ya go:thumbsu:
Now that is a post from a fair dinkum supporter. Totally agree with the sentiment of your post G2 and SW. I watched the session on Saturday and was astounded by the fitness of the entire group and the sheer number of support staff on the ground with the players. The professionalism in our game, not just Freo, has gone up another notch right across the board over the last couple of years. There are half a dozen players in the rehab group but each of them look to be pretty close to joining full training. Apeness and deluca probably won't be available for round one but otherwise, touch wood, everyone else should be fit and available. It's hard not to be feeling reasonably confident and that's probably why the PST reports might appear to be over confident to anyone who is not fortunate enough to make it down to training.

Griff ,really Sherrif. ;)
Yes, from what I have seen definitely . Ive only seen three sessions, but in those sessiosn my observation is that he has improved massively compared to the last preseason. In one Saturday session I watched he was keeping up with midfielders in the running and then also pulling more weight than anyone with the rope activity they do. He seems as mobile as he was pre knee injury. My opinuon is based on a very small number of sessions, but it is my opinion from what Ive seen.

I dont get why you have a problem with this. Even Griffin has said he is career best shape. Im not sure what you are on about in regard to one simple difference in opinion.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rubbish. Ironically considering the recent discussion here there are plenty (of Freo bIg Footy posters) who watch D.Pearce with the opposite of a 'Rose coloured glasses'. approach. D.Pearce could be in our top four players for six or seven rounds (according to our apparently 'know nothing' coaches), then miss one or two kicks and be set upon on here (This actually happened in season 2015 BTW). Barlow can have five turnovers in a quarter (happened in 2015 as well) and nothing is said on here. Spurr can have three turnovers in a half of footy directly costing goals (like he did against West Toast). Again, nothing said on here.
In the training Ive seen Danyle is shaping up brilliantly for season 2016.

To clarify my point that Danyle could miss one or two kicks and then be ripped into on here. It was around round eight or nine when Danyle missed two kicks in a short period of time. In the game thread there was four or five posters who ripped into him. I didnt go to the Best and Fairest count (correct me if Im wrong if you did go), but it was only a couple of round earlier he was around the top four in the count. My point is that it was neither 'hyperbole' nor exaggeration to state the level of criticism of D.Pearce on here doesn't match up with 'impartial judgement' in any way, shape or form.
For me the annoyance was the number of times Danyle would be in the clear and fluff the kick. Especially the way that we play, we tend to get into scraps and clean ball comes at a premium - class with the ball was what cost us progressing deeper into the finals. Then we find him in space and we're all licking our lips like this:
bT2z79Y.gif

Then we see the shank, the grubber or the kick perfectly weighted to the opposition player. I know it's not every time. It might not even be that many times, but it was certainly more than a couple and it burns. It stands out. Barlow's usually in there getting the ball for us and isn't known as an elite user of the ball - in fact I think his disposal and decision making in 2015 was below par and if it continues I reckon the young blokes will be in danger of getting past him. Danyle came to the club specifically to add class and run, it stands out when he fluffs it.

Yes, from what I have seen definitely . Ive only seen three sessions, but in those sessiosn my observation is that he has improved massively compared to the last preseason. In one Saturday session I watched he was keeping up with midfielders in the running and then also pulling more weight than anyone with the rope activity they do. He seems as mobile as he was pre knee injury. My opinuon is based on a very small number of sessions, but it is my opinion from what Ive seen.

I dont get why you have a problem with this. Even Griffin has said he is career best shape. Im not sure what you are on about in regard to one simple difference in opinion.

sherrif Ethan Hughes has stood out more than Griff (Ethan has bulked up and he performs really well on the track) and I would rank him (Hughes) after Son Son Neale and Morra. It depends on what you are judging Griff on Improvement from last season or on being in the top echelon of the hardest and best trainers at PST this year?

My judgement is based on a significant number of sessions attended on a criteria of hardest and best trainers at PST and I think salim malik is thinking the same.Son Son also voluntarily attended all the sessions of the 1-4 year players ahead of the Senior Group's commencement on 1 December.

Morra also started within the 1-4 years but his early attendance was what appeared to be a strategy of the S & C guys to test his knee out (in what appeared to be a make or break strategy).

Son Son has done more sessions at a highly sustained rate of work ( Neale missed 1or 2) than anyone that's why I have rated him as the best overall trainer at PST to date.

For me the annoyance was the number of times Danyle would be in the clear and fluff the kick. Especially the way that we play, we tend to get into scraps and clean ball comes at a premium - class with the ball was what cost us progressing deeper into the finals. Then we find him in space and we're all licking our lips like this:
bT2z79Y.gif

Then we see the shank, the grubber or the kick perfectly weighted to the opposition player. I know it's not every time. It might not even be that many times, but it was certainly more than a couple and it burns. It stands out. Barlow's usually in there getting the ball for us and isn't known as an elite user of the ball - in fact I think his disposal and decision making in 2015 was below par and if it continues I reckon the young blokes will be in danger of getting past him. Danyle came to the club specifically to add class and run, it stands out when he fluffs it.

I clearly advise not to pay attention to him with sharp implements in your hands.

I clearly advise not to pay attention to him with sharp implements in your hands.
Standard Dockers supporters' gameday protocol, friend :)

The sharp things get put away with the rope and prescription drugs. The TV controls and the couch are fair game though.

Langdon, Morabito, Weller and Blakely are four none best 22 players who are getting a nice run in this thread who are realistic chances to make the leap to regular selection.

Bennell an automatic inclusion if fit.

Crozier, Taberner and A Pearce can almost expect opportunities if they continue their development.

Smokies in Yarran, Grey, Hughes and Irish.

That is a lot of emerging talent. Training reports are fantastic to get and the obsession and dedication of the reporters is a bit of a lifeline.

sherrif Ethan Hughes has stood out more than Griff (Ethan has bulked up and he performs really well on the track) and I would rank him (Hughes) after Son Son Neale and Morra. It depends on what you are judging Griff on Improvement from last season or on being in the top echelon of the hardest and best trainers at PST this year?

My judgement is based on a significant number of sessions attended on a criteria of hardest and best trainers at PST and I think salim malik is thinking the same.Son Son also voluntarily attended all the sessions of the 1-4 year players ahead of the Senior Group's commencement on 1 December.

Morra also started within the 1-4 years but his early attendance was what appeared to be a strategy of the S & C guys to test his knee out (in what appeared to be a make or break strategy).

Son Son has done more sessions at a highly sustained rate of work ( Neale missed 1or 2) than anyone that's why I have rated him as the best overall trainer at PST to date.
This is getting absurd. All I said was that in the three sessions Ive seen Griffin has stood out to me. The reason is that I saw him running and keeping up with midfielders (which I have never seen him do before) and then dominating strength exercises on one occassion and then IMO he looked more mobile acrooss the ground in some skills exercises in another. From what I have seen he is the most improved compared to last preseason by a country mile. It is simply an observation that is all.

Im not sure why there is such a need to justify that someones observation is wrong. I agree that Walters, Mora and Neale are training at an outstanding level and have said so. I have actually only seen Hughes train once as he was in the gym the two other times I watched.

Last edited:
I, for one, am rapt that Griff is training the house down. Clarke is going into the pre-season late, and still getting over knee issues. Sandi is not going to go forever and will need to be managed.

People have short memories - Griff was instrumental in our early 2013 run before doing his knee, when he was our primary ruck. If we get him back again to that level and grow his game to be a more effective ruck/fwd, it will go a long way to solving our forward marking options temporarily.

Last edited:
This is getting absurd. All I said was that in the three sessions Ive seen Griffin has stood out to me. The reason is that I saw him running and keeping up with midfielders (which I have never seen him do before) and then dominating strength exercises on one occassion and then looked more mobile acrooss the ground in some skills exercises in another. From what I have seen he is the most improved compared to last preseason by a country mile. It is simply an observation that is all.

Im not sure why there is such a need to justify that someones observation is wrong. I agree that Walters, Mora and Neale are training at an outstanding level and have said so. I have actually only seen Hughes train once as he was in the gym the two other times I watched.

You're right ,Sherrif its your opinion and you're certainly entitled to it and if Griff does improve it will be another great bonus . I've got a blinkered opinion on Griff .I need to look at his positives . Have a big Xmas and see you next year.:thumbsu:

tants, get in here. Somebody is telling truths about your buddy.

Seems that DP has been defended. He's never as good as he seems or as bad as he seems. He'll be best 22 at the start of the year. I doubt anyone will pass him throughout the year. But if they do, we'll be in great shape because he's a top 10 player from the Minor Premiers.

Everyone should love DP.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back