Strategy Hypothetical Pick Trade Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

For discussion around possible Pick swaps heading into, or during, the draft

What is/ isn't fair, which picks are going to be the hottest property, the players that'll be in every clubs sights on night 2, etc.!

I guess you answered your own question.

Who's going to do it?

No one. No one is giving you a pick in a much better draft so they can get a worse player earlier.

Let's assume the player you get at 12 is the equivalent of the player available at 18 next year. Would you trade 18 for 22 and 24?
let's not get carried away with this whole bad draft vs good draft. Saying you're going to get a worse player just because this draft is considered weaker is silly. There's more key position players in this draft than next year's draft for instance.

Also, there's been many drafts that have apparently been weak only to be considered a strong draft 5 years later. It's very overblown this whole strong vs weak draft. Also, clubs invest the majority of their time into the current draft crop. They keep an eye on the following year but not as closely as you'd expect. They won't really know how strong next years draft is until closer to next year's draft.

Last edited:

Yes but not at that price.
if we are getting a similar type & talent next yr, the price is right.

if there are question on his talent, temperament etc, then we should not. I will not do that for Wardlaw( injury) or pick 4 & 5 as the picks there have questions

if we are getting a similar type & talent next yr, the price is right.

if there are question on his talent, temperament etc, then we should not. I will not do that for Wardlaw( injury) or pick 4 & 5 as the picks there have questions
Would have loved him but have moved on. My view is our f1 should not be on the table if we missed Harley Reid we would curse ourselves he’s far better than sheezel already.

Would have loved him but have moved on. My view is our f1 should not be on the table if we missed Harley Reid we would curse ourselves he’s far better than sheezel already.
If I was even 50% sure of spoon, I would not put F1 on table..
I only feel there is less than 5% chance for that, hence my willingness to trade. But Sam will know how he wants to coach next yr. If he is gonna be experimental, then spoon chances increase to more than 50% but I don't think he will be.

That was Weid + 54 + 72 for 37 - all 2022 picks.

If one of the players we rate at 13 gets through to 22 I'd be in favour of F1 + 37 for 22 + F2. But we can't trade 37 back to you.
But you can trade that to Hawks for 24 + F2 and we can take 22 of Dons hands for F2(WB) and a later pick( for Davey points)

That was Weid + 54 + 72 for 37 - all 2022 picks.

If one of the players we rate at 13 gets through to 22 I'd be in favour of F1 + 37 for 22 + F2. But we can't trade 37 back to you.
I wonder if you can if it's done pre-draft.
I get the rule around not allowing live trades and trade backs.
but seems silly that the Weideman deal blocks another deal between Ess and Melb that's completely unrelated.

maybe if Geelong asked for us?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whatever you guys don't want that is worth more points than 36 I assume. We can't take back 48 since we traded it to you though.
I am surprised that this trade has still not gone through.

Trading 50.52 & 65(609pts) for 36 & 73(511pts) is no brainer. Why is that still not done.

I am surprised that this trade has still not gone through.

Trading 50.52 & 65(609pts) for 36 & 73(511pts) is no brainer. Why is that still not done.
Fall Asleep Knock Out GIF by Ovation TV

and Freo got 43 from North for our F4 which will be 60+

Could we not have offerred swap of F3 for 43 and then used that and 48/49 to move & get pick 34 as well.
As with your other suggestion. Brisbane can't split their picks any further, they don't have the list spots to take the extra picks to the draft.

As with your other suggestion. Brisbane can't split their picks any further, they don't have the list spots to take the extra picks to the draft.
which means the swaps will have to be done on draft night.

Would have wanted to see us swap 48 for blues 49 at the very least to provide us with flexibility to bundle 49 to lions.

So we can trade it to the lions yes pick 48 came from then as part of Gunston trade
Ah right id be interested if AFL would ok something like that

Lions probably be interested in 41 and 49 for 34 and 73, but maybe they feel they need even more points than that or think they can do better than just a 150 odd point increase

Remove this Banner Ad

Back