List Mgmt. 2023 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Key Trade & Draft Dates
Key Dates:

Trade Period, October 6–18
  • Restricted & Unrestricted Free Agency Period: Friday, October 6, 9am – Friday October 13, 5pm (bid matching ends Monday October 16, 5pm)
  • Trade Period (1), picks & players: Monday, October 9, 9am – Wednesday October 18, 7.30pm
Quiet Period, October 19–November 20
  • Trade Period (2), picks only: Monday, October 23, 9am – Friday November 10, 5pm
  • List Lodgement 1*: Tuesday, October 31, 2pm
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (1): Wednesday, November 1, 9am – Wednesday November 8, 5pm
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (2): Friday, November 10, 9am–5pm
  • List Lodgement 2*: Tuesday, November 14, 2pm
Draft Period, November 20–22
  • Round 1 of the National Draft: Monday, November 20, time and venue TBA
  • Trade Period (3), picks only: Tuesday, November 21, 5.45pm–6.30pm
  • Round 2–end of the National Draft: Tuesday, November 21, 7pm until completion
  • Rookie Promotions: Tuesday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (3): Tuesday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • List Lodgement 3*: Wednesday, November 22, 10am (optional; required for those participating in the PSD)
  • Pre-Season Draft: Wednesday, November 22, 3pm
  • Rookie Draft: Wednesday, November 22, 3.20pm
  • Final List Lodgement*: Thursday, November 23, 4pm
* List lodgement dates are yet to be made public, so are approximate based on past history and the requirements of the AFL Rules. When lists are lodged, the number of players on the list must not exceed maximum list sizes. At the same time, clubs must provide the AFL with estimates of total player payments in the current and following year, which must prove the club is not and will not exceed the salary cap. (AFL Rules 5.3, 6.1, 6.8, 7.2, 7.9)

Last edited:
From Sam Edmund (SEN):

Tom Barrass, close to a formality to Sydney, I’m hearing,” Edmund began on SEN’s Whateley.

“That will be happening. Signed a five-year deal at the Eagles in 2021 so he’ll need to be traded and that’s the whole point, isn’t it?

“He has currency as the Eagles look to rebuild. Sydney, well they have to give something decent.

“A 27-year-old best and fairest winner and a premiership defender. They have been into him for a while, Sydney. There is a link there and this is not new interest from club to player, but this year it sounds like it’s absolutely happening.”

From Sam Edmund (SEN):

“Tom Barrass, close to a formality to Sydney, I’m hearing,” Edmund began on SEN’s Whateley.

“That will be happening. Signed a five-year deal at the Eagles in 2021 so he’ll need to be traded and that’s the whole point, isn’t it?

“He has currency as the Eagles look to rebuild. Sydney, well they have to give something decent.

“A 27-year-old best and fairest winner and a premiership defender. They have been into him for a while, Sydney. There is a link there and this is not new interest from club to player, but this year it sounds like it’s absolutely happening.”

FigBooty strikes again!

From Sam Edmund (SEN):

“Tom Barrass, close to a formality to Sydney, I’m hearing,” Edmund began on SEN’s Whateley.

Until Eagles just say "no" or "McDonald, Warner and a future first please" then he stays

He also reported that the North assistance package is almost a 'done deal' - they get to pre-list Ryley Sanders as an NGA player (ie. get him for free), and the Ben McKay FA compo pick would end up being pick 3.

He also reported that the North assistance package is almost a 'done deal' - they get to pre-list Ryley Sanders as an NGA player (ie. get him for free), and the Ben McKay FA compo pick would end up being pick 3.
I miss the old days when clubs were s**t and would just get folded

I know you're just relaying what Edmund said, but not sure how he can know that. There's still a few months until the trade period. It would basically suggest the Swans and Eagles have already come to an agreement on a deal that would satisfy West Coast enough for them to give up a contracted player. Do such deals normally happen in July? I have no idea but I wouldn't have thought so?
Considering we can finish anywhere from 5th to 15th, thats a vast difference in draft picks, it's hard to really see how it could possibly be done.
Himmelberg as a free agent I could understand, but not a trade of this magnitude.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know you're just relaying what Edmund said, but not sure how he can know that. There's still a few months until the trade period. It would basically suggest the Swans and Eagles have already come to an agreement on a deal that would satisfy West Coast enough for them to give up a contracted player. Do such deals normally happen in July? I have no idea but I wouldn't have thought so?
Doubt it would be a "firm" deal but perhaps an "understanding" that if certain conditions could be met then a deal could be struck. It would allow both clubs a lot more certainty in their planning and both have dealt in good faith in the past. I imagine it would require that Barrass would be fine with whatever was on offer or perhaps that's another condition.
Or perhaps it's all made up.

I am highly sceptical of the trade period. Imo it is little more than a marketing tool to sell advertising space. When talking caps, future picks etc and the ramifications they have on lists moving forward, I highly doubt trades are negotiated in that trade window. Sure some would be but the bigger moves such as the barrass one, I have 0 doubt the clubs involved would be discussing any deals through the year. There is too many moving parts for it to be done in just a few days at the end of the year.

If barrass and Sydney have a mutual desire to join, barrass manager would already be getting into contact with representatives to find real estate etc.

From the clubs point of view, they'd need to know very early in the piece of any large incoming salaries so they can plan their list moves accordingly . No good signing everyone up and then having to juggle a barrass deal in October. Likewise wce would already have an understanding of what any package would look like and can work on the machinations on those picks would be, whether they use or trade them.

I firmly believe that the afl that is portrayed to the public is very much geared to generate money, sell a story as such and is very very different to the afl that operates behind the scenes

I think they broadly would.

"Give us your first and you can have him subject to him agreeing to terms with you."

"OK done."

All the other stuff is smoke and mirrors. I think most deals and clubs are dealing with each other all the time

I hear what you guys are saying but aren't there still so many unknowns? As Jewelsbon said there's such a vast difference in where our picks could end up between now and the end of the season. There's players who might re-sign that we don't know about, players who might depart that we don't know about. Like Dawson for example, we only learned of his trade request in September. And Aliir's move was on and off multiple times throughout that trade period he ended up leaving. I dunno just feels like there's still so many variables at play that would make it hard to settle on a comfortable deal. But you guys might be right, who knows

I hear what you guys are saying but aren't there still so many unknowns? As Jewelsbon said there's such a vast difference in where our picks could end up between now and the end of the season. There's players who might re-sign that we don't know about, players who might depart that we don't know about. Like Dawson for example, we only learned of his trade request in September. And Aliir's move was on and off multiple times throughout that trade period he ended up leaving. I dunno just feels like there's still so many variables at play that would make it hard to settle on a comfortable deal. But you guys might be right, who knows
I think they would have agreements in place for various outcomes. For example if swans have a tip 5 pick, wce may chuckle in some salary or send a later pick our way, if it's a pick between 5 and 10 or whatever , wce won't pay any salary etc. I don't think it would be 100% concrete until the picks have been allocated but I reckon both clubs would have a fair understanding of what the deal would be

I think they would have agreements in place for various outcomes. For example if swans have a tip 5 pick, wce may chuckle in some salary or send a later pick our way, if it's a pick between 5 and 10 or whatever , wce won't pay any salary etc. I don't think it would be 100% concrete until the picks have been allocated but I reckon both clubs would have a fair understanding of what the deal would be
That makes sense

Yeah would have to be something like that I'd imagine.
So I guess we can assume, if the article is to be believed, that Barrass, Swans and Eagles have agreed in principle.

Yeah would have to be something like that I'd imagine.
So I guess we can assume, if the article is to be believed, that Barrass, Swans and Eagles have agreed in principle.
Yea I'd imagine all 3 parties have agreement in principle and the finer details to be ironed out. If we assume the deal is done, I wonder how much say the swans have in barrass for the rest of he season. Given the Eagles have absolutely nothing to play for , is it reasonable for the swans to say " look given wce injury history atm, and ladder position, any deal os contingent on barrass being fit and healthy , please consider playing barrass in reduced roll to close out the season to mitigate the risk of any long term injury "

Interestingly barrass pulled out late last week

Yea I'd imagine all 3 parties have agreement in principle and the finer details to be ironed out. If we assume the deal is done, I wonder how much say the swans have in barrass for the rest of he season. Given the Eagles have absolutely nothing to play for , is it reasonable for the swans to say " look given wce injury history atm, and ladder position, any deal os contingent on barrass being fit and healthy , please consider playing barrass in reduced roll to close out the season to mitigate the risk of any long term injury "

Interestingly barrass pulled out late last week
Well packing can take a long time. Good to get ahead of it rather than leave it til the last minute.

I think they broadly would.

"Give us your first and you can have him subject to him agreeing to terms with you."

"OK done."

All the other stuff is smoke and mirrors. I think most deals and clubs are dealing with each other all the time
Don't forget the shadows behind the windows.

Exactly this. The core deal with an understanding of the fringes that need to be adjusted at the end. Hard to imagine something this complicated getting done in a few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back