List Mgmt. 2023 Trade Thread - Part III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The embedded resources below are kept up to date by the trade board mods (as much as possible – we are human after all). Enjoy!

Courtesy of Lore

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Dow has less potential but still we've turned a guy who hasn't been able to play more than 52 games in 7 years into a Zac Jones level player who may have another gear to go up with less players around him to take the ball off him.

It's a brave move with a real chance that it could go either way. If Henry can become a gun and Gresham stays injured it will look genius. We've had a tendency to hold on to players too long and at least he's moving I guess.
I’m not a big Dow fan but if he can improve like Stocker has at the Saints then I’ll be happy. Hopefully Stocker is the template.

That’s been the plan all along
Shocking plan then - amazing that we are prepared to consider giving away a quality player to teams that won 2 of the last 3 premierships.

Can only be a winner if SOS and Gubby have lined up the greatest surprise trade of all time for this afternoon or have an absolute gun signed sealed and ready to be delivered for next year.

Shocking plan then - amazing that we are prepared to consider giving away a quality player to teams that won 2 of the last 3 premierships.

Can only be a winner if SOS and Gubby have lined up the greatest surprise trade of all time for this afternoon or have an absolute gun signed sealed and ready to be delivered for next year.
“Quality player” 😂

When fit he wasn’t even selected this year

I think that is tough. You only really know how a trade period went with hindsight but if you are assessing now you have to ask the question "what was possible?".

Gresham had to go. Tick. Upgraded draft position. Tick. Brought in two young low first round draft picks with potential. Tick.

Effectively we have gained 4 under 24s, three of which are first rounders and we have lost one underperforming small forward.

Given what was available and our trading hand - I'd give it 8 out of 10. And I still can't think of what else they could have done.
There might not have been much else we could have done, but that doesn't mean what we did was amazing either. It was fine. Not a bad period but I dont think either new addition would raise or change the overall expectation of this group for next year, hence the just above average rating from me.

Gresh is a bigger loss than you are making him out to be. Calling him an 'underperforming small forward' is selling him short. Hopefully Henry can serve as some sort of replacement in terms of talent/ability.

Not sure saying pick 21 and 35 are about the same value but pick 40 is such a huge downgrade is it.

What we’ve done is swap Gresh and Coffield for Henry and Dow and upgraded our second and third picks in the draft about 15 places (give or take) each.

Not sure there was much better we missed, would have been good to get amoungst the pick swapping with North but ultimately we ended up with a pick in a similar range to what they were moving around anyways.
I didn’t say that pick 21 and 35 were the same value, maybe you misread my post?

I did say that their might not be a lot between that pick 21 and a future second when you consider where that 21 will actually finish up and how weak this draft is looking.

I think if we end up with a better draft next year we will be disappointed we don’t have that second round pick.

You can say we’ve upgrade that future 2nd to 21 this year but I’m not sure it will end up being much of an upgrade.

We also downgrade 35 to 40.

You'd reckon if they miss the finals next year again there will be retirements en masse, well there probably will be either way.

They might as well have another crack at a flag next year if they can add a couple of decent mature players, something like Billings and Bailey Smith would top them up with a bit of class and run. The list looks garbage after their 28+ players move on.

I agree on Billings though, why palm him off if it doesn't improve our side. His trade value couldn't possibly be any lower in 12 months time, but he may play some good footy in that period.

View attachment 1833762
they got their premierships with their pensioners, i doubt they would care.

So Melbournes pick 42?

Comes in to 40 after GC match their bids?
38 & 42 equals 21 points wise.

Aim for one of GC's multiple picks in the 20's (say 26)

Our Gresh compo plus that pick for a pick in the early teens?

Or one of those in the 20's for Geelong's 1st?

Lots to play out between now & draft night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2 days ago I would have been all over Ginnivan but if the rumors about him and McStay are even half true then I'd be avoiding that kid big time. I hope he sorts himself out.

Think we are done from here.

Don't think we trade Billings out unless we know we can use that pick to move up into the top 20.

SOS loves a bid and a live trade so plenty to play out still.

Points aren't pick 9 unless you can use them on an academy or FS though. A late future first seems about right to get a quality contracted player over. Pick 34 this year is pretty much a pick in the 40s or 50s in a better draft.

Shultz is a better more rounded player than Butler, not by heaps but definitely better. If the Pies can turn Ginnivan into a first round pick while taking Schultz, it will be good business.
Future second for Ginnivan about right

I think Dow has less potential but still we've turned a guy who hasn't been able to play more than 52 games in 7 years into a Zac Jones level player who may have another gear to go up with less players around him to take the ball off him.

It's a brave move with a real chance that it could go either way. If Henry can become a gun and Gresham stays injured it will look genius. We've had a tendency to hold on to players too long and at least he's moving I guess.
Hope Billings stays
He needs a fresh start

Trading for the sake of trading lol

If we are getting a pick in the 40s, keep Billings.

Don't go anywhere near Shiel, give the kids we've already got in there more minutes.

SOS hasn't filled me with much confidence at all, snake oil salesman vibes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back