List Mgmt. 2023 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Key Trade & Draft Dates
Key Dates:

Trade Period, October 6–18
  • Restricted & Unrestricted Free Agency Period: Friday, October 6, 9am – Friday October 13, 5pm (bid matching ends Monday October 16, 5pm)
  • Trade Period (1), picks & players: Monday, October 9, 9am – Wednesday October 18, 7.30pm
Quiet Period, October 19–November 20
  • Trade Period (2), picks only: Monday, October 23, 9am – Friday November 10, 5pm
  • List Lodgement 1*: Tuesday, October 31, 2pm
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (1): Wednesday, November 1, 9am – Wednesday November 8, 5pm
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (2): Friday, November 10, 9am–5pm
  • List Lodgement 2*: Tuesday, November 14, 2pm
Draft Period, November 20–22
  • Round 1 of the National Draft: Monday, November 20, time and venue TBA
  • Trade Period (3), picks only: Tuesday, November 21, 5.45pm–6.30pm
  • Round 2–end of the National Draft: Tuesday, November 21, 7pm until completion
  • Rookie Promotions: Tuesday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (3): Tuesday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • List Lodgement 3*: Wednesday, November 22, 10am (optional; required for those participating in the PSD)
  • Pre-Season Draft: Wednesday, November 22, 3pm
  • Rookie Draft: Wednesday, November 22, 3.20pm
  • Final List Lodgement*: Thursday, November 23, 4pm
* List lodgement dates are yet to be made public, so are approximate based on past history and the requirements of the AFL Rules. When lists are lodged, the number of players on the list must not exceed maximum list sizes. At the same time, clubs must provide the AFL with estimates of total player payments in the current and following year, which must prove the club is not and will not exceed the salary cap. (AFL Rules 5.3, 6.1, 6.8, 7.2, 7.9)

Last edited:
And he would know

He is paid to know, and it isn't his assessements either as he talks to recruiters. No journalist has more connections to the recruiters and what they are thinking than he does.

I am not saying he is 100% accurate, but I would take his assessments every day of the week over Sheehan.

I reckon Norf go Curtin and McKercher.
Leake makes some sense for us given Rampe and Fox are getting on, though he doesn't scream 'sure thing' either. I'd bet we take Darcy Wilson if he's there as a an eventual Lloyd replacement and best available.
O'Sullivan obviously, but surely a dead cert to go to the bloody cats.
Wouldn't be upset with DeMattia as a small defender as I don't see too many on the list playing that role other than Cunners.
Hard to rate Collard as a small forward if we want to go again there, tape of him playing WA Colts doesn't do much for me. Looks a pretty poor standard.
Ollie Murphy doesn't seem like a Swans type pick.
There seem to be quite a few options around in that range, from around pick 16 (which is where pick 12 will end up), down to the early 2nd round - Riley Hardeman, Koltyn Tholstrup, Arie Schoenmaker, Archer Reid, Charlie Edwards, etc.

Just depends on where we we see the most need.

Cleary won’t go before 30-40, he’s okay but he has nothing special. That screams a third rounder.

People know my thoughts unless one of the top 2 defenders are on the board and Curtin is one and will be gone, I’d trade back ideally.

2023 AFL Mock Draft: Picks 1-27 (first edition)​

I'd want a KPP, but Leake at our first would address needs more than just another mid or half back. Sounds like he can play as a medium defender or forward, as well as pinch hit in the mids. Could be the Fox replacement, with a bit more promise up forward.

Cleary won’t go before 30-40, he’s okay but he has nothing special. That screams a third rounder.

People know my thoughts unless one of the top 2 defenders are on the board and Curtin is one and will be gone, I’d trade back ideally.
A penny for your thoughts

I'd want a KPP, but Leake at our first would address needs more than just another mid or half back. Sounds like he can play as a medium defender or forward, as well as pinch hit in the mids. Could be the Fox replacement, with a bit more promise up forward.

I worry about Leak as just from his description he sounds like another Ling and Stoddart.

I worry about Leak as just from his description he sounds like another Ling and Stoddart.
Don't really get that. Ling and Stoddart (a late pick) were running half backs pure and simple, though Ling was tried as a medium defender unsuccessfully once injury ruined his speed and agility.

Leake sounds better aerially, so more suited to actually defending, plus has some forward talent and has spent time in mids too. Looking at the others around his potential ranking, he offers more than the other half backs and mid/fwds. Of course, as I said we should avoid this and just go for KPP(s).

Don't really get that. Ling and Stoddart (a late pick) were running half backs pure and simple, though Ling was tried as a medium defender unsuccessfully once injury ruined his speed and agility.

Leake sounds better aerially, so more suited to actually defending, plus has some forward talent and has spent time in mids too. Looking at the others around his potential ranking, he offers more than the other half backs and mid/fwds. Of course, as I said we should avoid this and just go for KPP(s).

Don’t want any first on a player that might be this or that. Simply put you want a mid get one, you want a KPD get one same with a FWD. players without set positions are huge red flags

Don’t want any first on a player that might be this or that. Simply put you want a mid get one, you want a KPD get one same with a FWD. players without set positions are huge red flags

and to be honest there is no need to draft small/medium defenders as our best defenders were all midfielders when drafted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A
I’m not sure he earned a multi year deal

He does a lot of the unrewarded stuff up forward, but he just doesn’t kick enough goals, he needs to do both

If he can step up in 24 then sure, but at the moment he’s occupies a position we need an upgrade in, hence the drafting of Kon
Are we after another small forward? The possible shopping him around may have been the vehicle we were going to use to move our pick 12 up OR a prelude to us talking another small forward?
Jake Collard - rated by Twomey at 17
Collard's end to the season – back-to-back hauls of five goals in Subiaco's colts finals – as well as his excellent testing at the Draft Combine has pushed him up the Form Guide. The exciting forward can make something from nothing and kick goals, having booted 32 majors from 11 games at colts level this season. He then was the quickest in the agility test at the Combine (8.157 seconds), was fourth in the 20-metre sprint (2.92 seconds) and also ran the 2km time trial in 6:32 minutes to show his all-round athleticism and spark.

And yet coaches like to develop them to play multiple positions. Heeney mid/fwd, Mills mid/back, Papley fwd/mid, Blakey everywhere, McInerney mid/back, McLean fwd/ruck, Amartey fwd/ruck etc

And yet coaches like to develop them to play multiple positions. Heeney mid/fwd, Mills mid/back, Papley fwd/mid, Blakey everywhere, McInerney mid/back, McLean fwd/ruck, Amartey fwd/ruck etc

How has that actually worked? Yeah great we have players in multiple positions, give me a genuine A grade mid

Well Gulden isn't. Plays mid/wing/fwd. Everywhere.

We tried to be cute with the Stephens pick. Gulden also was picked at selection 32, we are talking about first rounders here. Go for players in set positions

We tried to be cute with the Stephens pick. Gulden also was picked at selection 32, we are talking about first rounders here. Go for players in set positions
Cute. Have you had a second look at the draft where we picked Stephens. One of THE worst.
And he is one of the pure mids that you like.

There was an obvious midfielder on the board though. This is why I got the selection but I hate those types and we compounded playing him in other roles.

Take a genuine mid OR take a KPP (whatever end). No in betweeners. I remember on here everyone wanted Logue…boy jeez glad we didn’t do that.

Nothing special??

1697794422565.png

I think media sleeping on him like they slept on Gulden. I reckon a bid comes for him in late 20s/early 30s at latest.

Nothing special??

View attachment 1836591

I think media sleeping on him like they slept on Gulden. I reckon a bid comes for him in late 20s/early 30s at latest.

Stand by it. Looked good in a very good Allies team. There isn’t anything special, that isn’t a bad thing, role playing mids are important.

Nothing special??

View attachment 1836591

I am glad his disposal numbers did not go down when he went up a level but his clearance numbers did. Going from 7 clearances in the Academy games to 4 in the Championships is a big drop.

Re Cleary, his 'sure thing' aspect might appeal to clubs. Worth remembering that players picked outside the top 20 of the draft don't even average 100 career games played.

Cleary may not blow recruiters away but any recruiters who just want a safe pick and someone who they feel confident will make it at the level and have a long career would be drawn to someone like Cleary.

The academy would've instilled in him the right work ethic and discipline for recruiters to know what they're getting, just as we've seen with Heeney, Mills, Blakey, Campbell and Gulden, even if they've had varying degrees of delivering on their potential to date.

I am glad his disposal numbers did not go down when he went up a level but his clearance numbers did. Going from 7 clearances in the Academy games to 4 in the Championships is a big drop.
That's very likely to do with his role though. Obviously when you go from your league team to the representative team you go from being the star of the side to then sharing with every other star of their respective sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back