List Mgmt. Welcome to Geelong Nakia Cockatoo - National Draft selection no. 10

Remove this Banner Ad

yep , you picked that one. Is he related to any of teh other Cockatoo's.

Im excited by Ca2 , this kid could really be a buzz to watch.

To be absolutely honest, he has the most upside to most of the top 10. Electric pace, great kick. The play where he breaks away from a center clearance is breathtaking.

We needed mids and pace. It appears we are happy to wait or trade for key backs.

Worked with his mother in Darwin, only heard good things about him which doesn't surprise me as he's has been one of my favourite cats

I played basketball with him in Darwin. Really good kid back then.

he walked past me at a reserves game, knew me instantly and said hello. Talked for a bit.

Still a great guy.

This kid could be easily the best out of this years crop. If he remains injury free and committed to his football he'll end up as one of the greats of our game.

Well done on him, has poise, good skills and one of the best overall athleticism of all this years draftees. The kid has a in ya face palm of that rivals Dustin Martin but also seems motionless with all the time in world. Explosive speed, bust packs, can play outside and find his own ball and I for the life of me am gutted that we didnt take a risk on him.

Enjoy the journey

To be absolutely honest, he has the most upside to most of the top 10. Electric pace, great kick. The play where he breaks away from a center clearance is breathtaking.

We needed mids and pace. It appears we are happy to wait or trade for key backs.

Pace with size. Not frail pace that Varcoe was at times , Ca2 looks more like a modern power mid , Dangerfield and Judd and Martin. But we should not expect too much , too soon because he looks more ready.

Last edited:
And I've got to say, it's the first time I've looked at Cockatoo.
Love his size and confidence.

Dare I say it. Smedts like with confidence and poor ball use.
*ducks*

I made the Billie comparison in the preview thread. It was pointed out he has more tools than Billie. I said I wanted more of a "spine build" with #10 and used Sel, HT and Hawk as the example.

I can see the difference in the tools but Im wary of the same issues..

Go Catters

Pace with size. Not frail pace that Varcoe was at times , Ca2 looks more like a modern power mid , Dangerfield and Judd and Martin. But we shold not expect too much , too soon because he looks more ready.

I glad you're happy with him Turbo, there's a lot of development I know but the skillset is vast, he's got all the good Varcoe traits along with the rest as far as I can see.
Very fluid in his moments the way he rolls out of congested areas just instinctive and comes natural.
He says he's a strong mark, we've only seen a couple but they looked good, and he's got leap according to the combine test.

I glad you're happy with him Turbo, there's a lot of development I know but the skillset is vast, he's got all the good Varcoe traits along with the rest as far as I can see.
Very fluid in his moments the way he rolls out of congested areas just instinctive and comes natural.

I think would have been happy with most of who was there at 10 but this kid has game that would have had him picked earlier if he had played more...so in that sense classic Wells.
He was picked before most thought he would be till the last few hours..in fact teh getting him to GC was probably tipped our pick. In that respect , I wonder if the AFL should try to get teh top 25 or so to the draft , if they want a full on mystery. I glad the reverse order is done and gone.

I made the Billie comparison in the preview thread. It was pointed out he has more tools than Billie. I said I wanted more of a "spine build" with #10 and used Sel, HT and Hawk as the example.

I can see the difference in the tools but Im wary of the same issues..

Go Catters

Only time will tell I guess , but the poor ball use thing doesn't stack up when he was one of the best at the Combine. I suspect its more about him kicking at top pace and being a little out of practice. If we do say Smedts , I can only hope thats a reason to be hopeful rather than sceptical. Billie has the tools to play , and I agree he is a little scrappy by foot. I think he should be closer to the contest where the quick kick is more forgive able .

I think would have been happy with most of who was there at 10 but this kid has game that would have had him picked earlier if he had played more...so in that sense classic Wells.
He was picked before most thought he would be till the last few hours..in fact teh getting him to GC was probably tipped our pick. In that respect , I wonder if the AFL should try to get teh top 25 or so to the draft , if they want a full on mystery. I glad the reverse order is done and gone.

I'm excited about Gore, but Gregson sort of surprised me till I saw what I thought was a mind blowing reel, both he and Nakia will bring huge skill potential with them next season, Gregson and Gore have been playing top SANFL they'll relish the VFL comp next season no doubt.
But I think our reserves may leak a few more goals, hope not!

Agree with all.
As far as backs, nobody is really ready to go from an U18 scene, and we do have Kolo, Walker, Blicavs, Toohey on our list, and given that we released Hamling as well- a project player, and Brown, they must have confidence in that quartet, and rightly so? Some will say not rightly so, I know!
We desperately need the Cockatoo type mid as you say, he looks to have the full package with take off speed and strength and kicking ability. What's not to like here? It seems to be what we need this year, and then next season's draft may have a different emphasis. The draft when we got Ablett, Bartel, Kelly, SJ, and Gardiner, all mids, very hard to ever replicate that, but they have intentionally boosted our resources of mids with a plan.

Agree with all.
As far as backs, nobody is really ready to go from an U18 scene, and we do have Kolo, Walker, Blicavs, Toohey on our list, and given that we released Hamling as well- a project player, and Brown, they must have confidence in that quartet, and rightly so? Some will say not rightly so, I know!
We desperately need the Cockatoo type mid as you say, he looks to have the full package with take off speed and strength and kicking ability. What's not to like here? It seems to be what we need this year, and then next season's draft may have a different emphasis. The draft when we got Ablett, Bartel, Kelly, SJ, and Gardiner, all mids, very hard to ever replicate that, but they have intentionally boosted our resources of mids with a plan.

If we're worried about key defender depth for a year we could do worse than rookie listing Brown.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could not disagree more, thd way he burst out of stoppages by applying the jets was something to see... massive potential, happy with this pick
Yeah no problems. As I say 3 mins of highlights is no way to judge a player. Just with the other guys highlights when they disposed of the ball they pinpointed a team mate nearly every time.

Everyone complaining about his foot skills need to realize that the highlights were from Grand Final day this year which was his only game for the year so he's bound to be a bit rusty, in all honesty if I hadn't played for a year and came out and played like that in my only match i would be pretty stoked, he looks like a gun. I actually see a little bit of Stephen Hill in him from the Highlights with his running and smooth skills, Geelong fans should be excited, he could be something very special, seems like a really nice young bloke too.

Everyone complaining about his foot skills need to realize that the highlights were from Grand Final day this year which was his only game for the year so he's bound to be a bit rusty, in all honesty if I hadn't played for a year and came out and played like that in my only match i would be pretty stoked, he looks like a gun. I actually see a little bit of Stephen Hill in him from the Highlights with his running and smooth skills, Geelong fans should be excited, he could be something very special, seems like a really nice young bloke too.
ok, didn't realise that. Fair enough.

Watching his two interviews on CatsTV you could really tell he was shocked by being called out by Geelong but at the same time super excited the way he just has so much energy during the interviews & can't stop moving :D

Very excited to see him on the training track!

Hopefully a NAB Challenge game if we are lucky depending on how much footy they want to give to him early but I think he is a good chance if he gets through pre-season fine :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back