Mega Thread Adam Goodes (Trolls will be carded - read OP!)

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope my boys do the dance in support of goodsie! Not just the indigenous players, all of them lead by Hodgie!! Not just the hawks either!

Completely agree. The more players who do the war dance the better. They would not just be standing up for Goodes but also standing up for their right to practice their culture in a way they want, not just the way white people are comfortable with.

I hope my boys do the dance in support of goodsie! Not just the indigenous players, all of them lead by Hodgie!! Not just the hawks either!
Yep, I'd love to see it be the start of something. If Eddie Betts were to kick a goal against us and do the dance I'd give him a standing ovation.

Saw this on Facebook and shared it, sums up everything perfectly.

AFL Trade Rumours 2013
--- I'm not racist! ---

"It's not race related. Adam, YOU made this about race"

- Yes Adam has recognised the significantly smaller number of racists in the large pack. But he has never once lumped them all together. The point he and many others are trying to make is that if 30,000 people are booing him for his on field reasons and 4 of them are booing him for the colour of his skin, then the non-racist booers are helping to amplify the voices of the racists, and in turn, are unknowingly keeping racism stay alive.
Why not stop the booing, so that those who are doing it for racist reasons must stand alone and announce their reasoning?
The problem is that today, they can hide amongst the masses and argue that their reasoning is just the same as everyone else's.

"I'm not racist. Does booing Joel Selwood or Jobe Watson make me racist?"

-No it does not. But while Joel Selwood, Jobe Watson, Hayden Ballentyne, Travis Cloke and many more are subject to the occasional game of boos, none of them have ever received as much negativity as Adam Goodes has this year. No one ever has. The only other player that has ever been dealt the same volume of negativity was Nicky Winmar... Does that ring a bell?

"I boo Adam because he slides his knees and plays like a thug"

- A reasonable argument. But why does he receive more hate than Sam Mitchell, Luke Hodge and Tyrone Vickery combined?

"I boo Adam because he ducks his head and plays for frees"

- Another valid point. But why does he receive more hate than Joel Selwood, Paul Puopolo, Trent Cotchin and Lindsay Thomas combined?
Besides, as frustrating as it may be; is there really anything wrong with manipulating, yet staying within the cloudy rules to benefit your side? Does it annoy you when your own players do it?

"I boo Adam because he is a sook/flog"

- One of the most common reasons, and probably one of the least backed up of them all.
For over 150 years players have been wearing their hearts of their sleeves and have been at times ridiculed for doing so. In some instances the public found it entertaining (Mathew Richardson), and on others it was received negatively (Jack Riewoldt).
But never has it resulted in 15 weeks straight of deafening boos.

"There are 71 indigenous players in the AFL, why don't the other 70 get booed?"

This is the most important point that needs to be addressed, and ironically, the one that has been misunderstood the most.
There is no doubt that Adam Goodes has received more negative attention than any other Indigenous player of this era. But here is why:

Shane Edwards relies on Adam Goodes to be the voice of his people.
Cyril Rioli relies on Adam Goodes to be the voice of his people.
Mathew Stokes relies on Adam Goodes to be the voice of his people.
Steven Motlop relies on Adam Goodes to be the voice of his people.
Eddie Betts relies on Adam Goodes to be the voice of his people.
Chris Yarran relies on Adam Goodes to be the voice of his people.
Lewis Jetta relies on Adam Goodes to be the voice of his people.
Lance Franklin relies on Adam Goodes to be the voice of his people.

The list goes for all 70 of them.

Adam Goodes is the voice of anti-racism and people don't like hearing that voice.

That's why he gets booed.
That's why the others don't.

While most of us know that we are not racist, we do know that racism is very much alive.
In 20 years time it may or may not, but one thing's for sure; Adam Goodes will be lauded for his heroics today, and you can either be on the right side of history, or the wrong side.
Our children will be tasked with school projects on Adam Goodes and they will ask us why people booed him.
They will ask, "Mummy/Daddy, you didn't boo him did you?"

What will your answer be?

Media keep bringing this Goodes booing to the forefront. They are part of the problem by continually forcing it in the major headlines.
It sells newspapers (or these days, clicks). I've been surprised that Eddie has been silent on the issue. He probably thought that he might end up putting his foot in his mouth and would be better off keeping his mouth shut.

This sport is at an all time low. These moronic supporters were much better off when we just thought they were morons, they did not need to open their mouths and confirm it for us. Whilst I would never expect it, it would be a great message if every indigenous player refused to take the field this weekend. We would soon learn how poor the game would be if were not for people like Goodesy.....

You cannot excuse the ignorance we are witnessing, its clearly embedded in generations of some of our fellow Australians and really just makes you want to cry with sadness and frustration. It's just ... I struggle to really comprehend the hate.
Agreed, I posted on the Swans FB page that all indigenous players should boycott 'a' round yesterday, now it should be this weekend as a sign of solidarity and send a clear message as one voice.

Posted this in the media section but I'll add it here also:

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/sydney-sw...t-still-wants-an-apology-20150729-gimqms.html

Wtf? Is she serious?

"I do think people shouldn't boo him at the football, they should be trying to encourage him to be a better person than what he is," Joanne said of the former Australian of the Year.

Goodes owes her daughter an apology for the "unfair" treatment she received

My favourite bit:
"He probably should apologise because maybe he should have picked his target a little bit better. She'd only turned 13 five days beforehand. She was technically still 12. She had no idea what she was saying."

Hmmm, ok, she was 13, but technically that makes her 12...

Joanne acknowledged Goodes was entitled to be upset at being called an "ape" but should have ignored the comment because of her daughter's age. Such an action contradicts the "Racism. It Stops With Me" campaign, of which Goodes is an ambassador, launched by the Australian Human Rights Commission in 2012 which encourages people to stand up to racism.

Honestly this seems more Daily Telegraph worthy, I would've expected more from the smh...

Well now we know where she got her ignorance and stupidity from.

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/sydney-sw...t-still-wants-an-apology-20150729-gimqms.html

Wtf? Is she serious?

"I do think people shouldn't boo him at the football, they should be trying to encourage him to be a better person than what he is," Joanne said of the former Australian of the Year.

My favourite bit:
"He probably should apologise because maybe he should have picked his target a little bit better. She'd only turned 13 five days beforehand. She was technically still 12. She had no idea what she was saying."

Joanne acknowledged Goodes was entitled to be upset at being called an "ape" but should have ignored the comment because of her daughter's age. Such an action contradicts the "Racism. It Stops With Me" campaign, of which Goodes is an ambassador, launched by the Australian Human Rights Commission in 2012 which encourages people to stand up to racism.

Honestly this seems more Daily Telegraph worthy, I would've expected more from the smh...
Only the ignorant think ignorance is an excuse...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Following the debate on here as I have- as a lot of us have- over the past couple of years and particularly over the past few days has been nothing short of depressing.

People have so far to go.

Australian society has so far to go.

Goodes is booed because, at their core, even people who are not overtly racist do not like being confronted with uncomfortable questions about both their own prejudices and the continuing, uncomfortable questions that all of this raises about Australian society today and the nation's past.

I am sorry that so many of you have had to read and hear what you have over the past two years and, again, over the past few days even more so. Just horrible.

Following the debate on here as I have- as a lot of us have- over the past couple of years and particularly over the past few days has been nothing short of depressing.

Goodes is booed because, at their core, even people who are not overtly racist do not like being confronted with uncomfortable questions about both their own prejudices and the continuing, uncomfortable questions that all of this raises about Australian society today and the nation's past.

I am sorry that so many of you have had to read and hear what you have over the past two years and, again, over the past few days even more so. Just horrible.

Very well said. You have explained very well why Goodes is being booed in only a few sentences.

Wtf? Is she serious?

My favourite bit:

She got interviewed by Channel 7 Melbourne news too. No wonder her daughter made that racist remark. Such a charming family :rolleyes:

I've moved this to the more appropriate thread:

I am absolutely sick of the girls age being used as an excuse for the vitriol directed at Goodes.
The core reason why her age is so inflammatory is that it shatters the fundamental and incorrect belief that children are untainted by the environment they live in.
It exposes the ugliness of our world and the impact of it on those we incorrectly believe are sheltered from it.

Very well said.

Regarding that last line, this is what scares me. If most of us feel so disgusted and terrified at all the hate, then imagine what Goodes must be going through.

I am absolutely sick of the girls age being used as an excuse for the vitriol directed at Goodes.
The core reason why her age is so inflammatory is that it shatters the fundamental and incorrect belief that children are untainted by the world we live in.
It exposes the ugliness of our world and the impact of it on those we incorrectly believe are sheltered from it.

No it doesn't. It means kids can't think through the consequences of their actions.

She was 13. She says she didn't know ape was a racial slur. I didn't know it until the Symonds affair and I was a lot older.

If what you suggest is true all kids are evil little buggers because all the nasty s**t they do is preplanned with the outcome firmly in mind for both themselves and the target.

Go read up on when the brain fully develops.

The core reason age is relevant is it is irrefutable that children do not have developed brains and cannot think like an adult. It is why law for minors is different to adults.

It is why age is called a disability in some areas of law.

If you think she is lying, which is possible, then sure go and have at it and think she is an evil racist and toss all the names you want to throw at her.

Me - I am prepared to cut a kid some slack and believe that whilst she certainly trying to abuse Goodes, just like Swans fans do to opposition players all the time me included, she was not attempting to racially slur him in any sense of the word.

Not sure if you have kids but would you be happy if this happened to your child remembering you have no evidence this child was brought up any different to how you have brought up or will bring your own kids?

My kids were complete loonys at 13 and did outrageously stupid things. And I can categorically say that although they were aware of race they would have little cognitive reasoning in working out racial pejoratives and the impact they would have on an adult.

I've moved this to the more appropriate thread:

The core reason why her age is so inflammatory is that it shatters the fundamental and incorrect belief that children are untainted by the environment they live in.
For what it's worth, the girl's age doesn't declare that she is absolutely innocent of wrongdoing. In Australia the concept of Doli Incapax (age of criminal responsibility) only fully extends to children below age of 10. From ages 10 to 14, it is arguable, so there is absolutely no reason to suggest Goodes was unreasonable in pointing her out.

Furthermore, the revisionism surrounding this is disgraceful. How did Goodes 'humiliate' her when he stated in a press conference the next day that she is young and innocent and education is key.

For what it's worth, the girl's age doesn't declare that she is absolutely innocent of wrongdoing. In Australia the concept of Doli Incapax (age of criminal responsibility) only fully extends to children below age of 10. From ages 10 to 14, it is arguable, so there is absolutely no reason to suggest Goodes was unreasonable in pointing her out.

Furthermore, the revisionism surrounding this is disgraceful. How did Goodes 'humiliate' her when he stated in a press conference the next day that she is young and innocent and education is key.
Exactly. I feel he was totally reasonable in pointing her out. I would have said lesson learned - but judging from her family's statement, everyone is to blame except them!

No it doesn't. It means kids can't think through the consequences of their actions.

She was 13. She says she didn't know ape was a racial slur. I didn't know it until the Symonds affair and I was a lot older.

If what you suggest is true all kids are evil little buggers because all the nasty s**t they do is preplanned with the outcome firmly in mind for both themselves and the target.

Go read up on when the brain fully develops.

The core reason age is relevant is it is irrefutable that children do not have developed brains and cannot think like an adult. It is why law for minors is different to adults.

It is why age is called a disability in some areas of law.

If you think she is lying, which is possible, then sure go and have at it and think she is an evil racist and toss all the names you want to throw at her.

Me - I am prepared to cut a kid some slack and believe that whilst she certainly trying to abuse Goodes, just like Swans fans do to opposition players all the time me included, she was not attempting to racially slur him in any sense of the word.

Not sure if you have kids but would you be happy if this happened to your child remembering you have no evidence this child was brought up any different to how you have brought up or will bring your own kids?

My kids were complete loonys at 13 and did outrageously stupid things. And I can categorically say that although they were aware of race they would have little cognitive reasoning in working out racial pejoratives and the impact they would have on an adult.
So why did she call him an ape? Was it because he - in her eyes - resembles an ape?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back