Strategy 2013 v 2014 Draftees, who would you take

Remove this Banner Ad

So how have you measured his talent. From what I've seen he looks ok but doesn't have any real standout attribute.
I would say he got a good kick on him and is an ok mark. Not overly quick for a player who is more outside then inside correct me if wrong.
BB can play and he has some real weapons.
If he buys into what Mick and Co would saying and use his pace as defensive weapon too we will have a player.
He has real speed and can kick the footy really well at full pace.

How has Acres preseason been is he best 22 if so where will he be played this year?
When we drafted Acres Pelchen described him as the "prototypical modern footballer" (ie. around 190cm and able to play multiple roles, both inside and out, forward, midfield or back) and just a couple of weeks ago Richardson described him as having the "best athletic profile" of anyone on our list.

In the earlier juniors he played at CHF (which is probably why his marking looks so good), but then closer to his draft year he played at times in a key defence role, and then also half forward flank, half back flank and midfield and I believe until he injured his shoulder just prior to the champs in his draft year he was earmarked to be WA's no.1 "inside mid", ahead of Sheed.

Against you guys last year he played half the game and had 10 possies (9 listed as contested :eek:), 1 goal, 2 clearances, 2 inside 50's and 5 tackles), after he had a late start to the season, due to a preseason injury and he then injured himself just a few mins after being subbed on in his 3rd game for us and didn't play again for the rest of the year, from memory. Otherwise I expect he would have played about as much footy as Dunstan and Billings did for the year (16 games each).

I think if he develops well he is expected to be a lot like Goddard was for us- ie. able to play whatever role we need him to play at the time, but probably mostly a midfield role, as he is very good in the packs and very good at weaving his way through them once he gets the ball. His kicking is no-where near as good as Goddard's though, but I think he's probably quicker.

what are u 12. Don't need biased opinions. acres might be a gun but has yet to show anything. all i hear is hype so far. POTENTIAL. And what i have seen has not been good at all.
BB i Would rate as Potential as well. But will influence more games than acres will THIS year. reasons for that is a more matured body.

Make ur own opinions off what ya see. not what ya hear.

what are u 12. Don't need biased opinions. acres might be a gun but has yet to show anything. all i hear is hype so far. POTENTIAL. And what i have seen has not been good at all.
BB i Would rate as Potential as well. But will influence more games than acres will THIS year. reasons for that is a more matured body.

This is why the blues pick of boekhurst was so so wrong, from I post I wrote on the saints board.

The Blues passed on goddard at 19 (as did the Dons at 20 with laverde) then 7 picks after the goddard pick slightly reached IMO for a rebounding DEFENDER in vojo rainbow, then you can tell the Blues always wanted to take a TALL when they went foster (a FF beast at underage level but will most likely be meh at afl level) so it shows the blues did want a tall in the draft.

This is why they should never have gone boekhurst instead of goddard.

What blues should of done
19. Goddard
28 touk miller (taken at 29 by GC)
60 clem smith, worth the risk
63 Cavaka (taken at 66 by WC, I rated him big time)

Now that's a draft, fills the same needs by crazy most efficient players, and fills the inside outside mids by miller and cavaka over boekhurst, you get your big man in Goddard over foster and a rebounding defender wasn't in your greatness needs as much as pure mids was so vojo pick didn't have to be made.

But hey that's just what I see btemplar88

That's hardly surprising, Acres missed most of his draft year after dislocating his shoulder and missed most of last season with ankle and quad injuries. Bit hard to deliver when he's played little football in the last two years, still showed enough to get drafted pick 18 and signed to a contract extension at the end of last year.

That's hardly surprising, Acres missed most of his draft year after dislocating his shoulder and missed most of last season with ankle and quad injuries. Bit hard to deliver when he's played little football in the last two years, still showed enough to get drafted pick 18 and signed to a contract extension at the end of last year.
The longest contract at the club at the moment for what's it's worth

So what have SEEN of BB at AFL level that makes you say he'll influence more games then Acres?

I can see BB making a impact very early in the year.
A player who has those kind of weapons if they translate at AFL level is invaluable.

We were never interested in drafting a tall with a high pick in the 14 draft.
There is something that doesn't seem quite right about Goddard.

GWS need a key defender and went with Marchbank
Adelaide also went key defender and took a risk on Lever.
Nth wanted a key defender and took Durdin from SA rather then the local product.

His a good size for a key defender and has a pretty good skill set to go with it.
That's why I wonder what the other guys had that made the other clubs pass on Goddard.

A player who has those kind of weapons if they translate at AFL level is invaluable.

Nth wanted a key defender and took Durdin from SA rather then the local product.

His a good size for a key defender and has a pretty good skill set to go with it.
That's why I wonder what the other guys had that made the other clubs pass on Goddard.
Or maybe those teams went with those KPD's because they're better than Goddard? Doesn't mean something "isn't right" with him.

This is why the blues pick of boekhurst was so so wrong, from I post I wrote on the saints board.

The Blues passed on goddard at 19 (as did the Dons at 20 with laverde) then 7 picks after the goddard pick slightly reached IMO for a rebounding DEFENDER in vojo rainbow, then you can tell the Blues always wanted to take a TALL when they went foster (a FF beast at underage level but will most likely be meh at afl level) so it shows the blues did want a tall in the draft.

This is why they should never have gone boekhurst instead of goddard.

What blues should of done
19. Goddard
28 touk miller (taken at 29 by GC)
60 clem smith, worth the risk
63 Cavaka (taken at 66 by WC, I rated him big time)

Now that's a draft, fills the same needs by crazy most efficient players, and fills the inside outside mids by miller and cavaka over boekhurst, you get your big man in Goddard over foster and a rebounding defender wasn't in your greatness needs as much as pure mids was so vojo pick didn't have to be made.

But hey that's just what I see btemplar88

DVR has been drafted to in time play in the midfield.
Rogers said pre draft even if a draftees position read HBF
that they saw a player who would go into the midfield.

DVR has more tricks then his given credit for. His left boot is a weapon. But he is a very well rounded footballer.

Last edited:
I reckon a good number of clubs are going to regret not having drafted Goddard when they had the chance. There have been plenty of examples over the years of those who have been rated really highly prior to their draft year who didn't have a great draft year and slid down the rankings as a result, but then hit the ground running as soon as they got onto an AFL list, and I'm pretty much expecting that to be the case with Hugh as well.

He's probably known for a good 2-3 years that he was going to be drafted (unless something went horribly wrong) and had been playing TAC Cup footy for 3 years (which is very rare) and I reckon when that is the case it would be easy to struggle to stay as motivated and desperate to do well as the others who aren't as sure/confident they are going to be drafted would be. Others would be busting a gut, wanting to have have one really big year to make sure they get onto an AFL list, whereas someone like him (who had long been expected to be drafted, and taken high) could easily enough just be wanting his TAC Cup footy to be over already, so that he can get on with his AFL career.

He also had a hip operation last preseason which would probably help to explain why he got off to a relatively slow start to the 2014 season. (He was regularly in the best 2 or 3 for Geelong after the champs though).

In most other drafts (when there aren't a plethora of KPP options like there were last year) it's hard to imagine someone like him (who has shown that he can play both forward and back- his was earlier tipped to go no.1 off his forward play and he kicked 19 goals and took 16 contested marks in his 8 games in 2013) lasting much past say pick 12 or so. I don't think anyone would have batted much of an eyelid if GWS had taken him with pick 6 or 7, either, as they were widely tipped to do in the weeks leading up to the draft.

Last edited:

I reckon that probably raised a few eyebrows and I have to say I always questioned why he was considered a potential top 10 prospect at that height (191cm), especially with so many other KPD options and GWS do have a history of questionable selections with very high picks on similar types in the past (Plowman and Buntine), so it will be interesting to see how he goes at AFL level (if played in a key position).
Lever was looking like a top 3 or so lock prior to doing his knee, he was just killing it, so I think them taking him was just like you guys rolling the dice on Menzel. Once they have slid that far, they are probably worth the risk.
Don't they see him playing forward, especially with Tippett having bulked up and Tarrant having been moved back to defence? Either way, it will be interesting to see how he goes at senior AFL level and whether he is able to bulk up that very, very skinny frame to a suitable level. Like Goddard, he was at one time widely talked about as someone who could go very, very high in that draft, yet I thought he was more underwhelming than Hugh for the 2014 season and didn't seem to play good footy anywhere but in the ruck (where he won't play much at AFL level). I did like some of the flashes I saw form him up forward in the champs though, so if he can play like that on a regular basis he could be really good up front.

Last edited:
I reckon a good number of clubs are going to regret not having drafted Goddard when they had the chance. There have been plenty of examples over the years of those who have been rated really highly prior to their draft year who didn't have a great draft year and slid down the rankings as a result, but then hit the ground running as soon as they got onto an AFL list and I'm pretty much expecting that to be the case with Hugh as well.
)..

Goddard does have some massive up side. He is a big boy and could play #1 key defender. Also has a lovely long kick on on him.
Maybe he wasn't keen on a move interstate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Slipping a pick or two outside the first round isn't exactly a reflection on anything when there are 3 other quality defenders in the draft.

When we drafted Acres Pelchen described him as the "prototypical modern footballer" (ie. around 190cm and able to play multiple roles, both inside and out, forward, midfield or back) and just a couple of weeks ago Richardson described him as having the "best athletic profile" of anyone on our list.

In the earlier juniors he played at CHF (which is probably why his marking looks so good), but then closer to his draft year he played at times in a key defence role, and then also half forward flank, half back flank and midfield and I believe until he injured his shoulder just prior to the champs in his draft year he was earmarked to be WA's no.1 "inside mid", ahead of Sheed.

Against you guys last year he played half the game and had 10 possies (9 listed as contested :eek:), 1 goal, 2 clearances, 2 inside 50's and 5 tackles), after he had a late start to the season, due to a preseason injury and he then injured himself just a few mins after being subbed on in his 3rd game for us and didn't play again for the rest of the year, from memory. Otherwise I expect he would have played about as much footy as Dunstan and Billings did for the year (16 games each).

I think if he develops well he is expected to be a lot like Goddard was for us- ie. able to play whatever role we need him to play at the time, but probably mostly a midfield role, as he is very good in the packs and very good at weaving his way through them once he gets the ball. His kicking is no-where near as good as Goddard's though, but I think he's probably quicker.

Acres kicking is very good and he has elite pace.

I reckon that probably raised a few eyebrows and I have to say I always questioned why he was considered a potential top 10 prospect at that height (191cm), especially with so many other KPD options and GWS do have a history of questionable selections with very high picks on similar types in the past (Plowman and Buntine), so it will be interesting to see how he goes at AFL level (if played in a key position).
Lever was looking like a top 3 or so lock prior to doing his knee, he was just killing it, so I think them taking him was just like you guys rolling the dice on Menzel. Once they have slid that far, they are probably worth the risk.
Don't they see him playing forward, especially with Tippett having bulked up and Tarrant having been moved back to defence? Either way, it will be interesting to see how he goes at senior AFL level and whether he is able to bulk up that very, very skinny frame to a suitable level. Like Goddard, he was at one time widely talked about as someone who could go very, very high in that draft, yet I thought he was more underwhelming than Hugh for the 2014 season and didn't seem to play good footy anywhere but in the ruck (where he won't play much at AFL level). I did like some of the flashes I saw form him up forward in the champs though, so if he can play like that on a regular basis he could be really good up front.

Marchbank will be a gun. His got a late birthday so is tracking very well for a young KPP.
I think he would have been the #2 tall on a lot of clubs draft boards.
His a great contested mark. He is a very good field kick. Is very good at rebounding from defence.
Has shown he can play at either end.
Is now listed at 193cm. May still grow more?
I saw footage of Marchbank tearing a game apart for CHB and he looked like a 17yr Jezza Cameron.
If he didn't suffer injuries the last two years he would have gone much higher then #6.

Lever was tracking well. But Menzel still played in his draft year and dominated at champs.
I was shocked that the crows didn't take Durdin over Lever. Didn't think they'd go past the local kid.
There was some talk the Crows were pretty keen on Goddard.

Durdin this kid looked good in his underage year. His a great size for a KKP. His got good field kicking skills.
But don't think his shown much as a forward in his draft year.
Was also surprised that Nth didn't take the Victorian product in Goddard.

I thought there was no way he would get past Adelaide's pick but it's kinda nice that his ended up at the Saints.

Marchbank was the tall we wanted from this draft given McCartin wasn't going to happen.

Carlton got its tall anyway.......Jaksch.
Jaksch, Whiley and Boekhorst was a pretty good netting for pick #7

I reckon a good number of clubs are going to regret not having drafted Goddard when they had the chance.

which clubs though as Essendon have a pretty solid backline as is for the next 5+ seasons. Carlisle still has improvement yet to come so Essendon are not going to lose much.
Carlton may, especially with Jamison getting long in the tooth with another 2 or 3 years left in him but Jaksch looks a real beauty. I think he'll have the better career v Hugh Goddard by the time it's all done and dusted.

Marchbank was the tall we wanted from this draft given McCartin wasn't going to happen.

Carlton got its tall anyway.......Jaksch.
Jaksch, Whiley and Boekhorst was a pretty good netting for pick #7

Very happy with the 3 for 1. I know the club was keen on Marchbank. Would have probably missed him anyway.

KJ was said to be very high on our draft board 3 years ago and would have already been a blue if Menzel didn't slide.

Goddard does have some massive up side. He is a big boy and could play #1 key defender. Also has a lovely long kick on on him.
Maybe he wasn't keen on a move interstate.
I think this was just one of those years where there were 3 or 4 somewhat similar types that you could just about throw a blanket over and it was just going to depend on the specific needs and preferences of the clubs in their draft range which would determine what order they went in. My view for pretty much the whole 2014 season was that if a club got Goddard outside the top 10 that they would be getting a bargain, so it's fair to say I was seriously pumped that he lasted till 21. He may not have been at his best in the champs last year, but I saw enough to know that he can definitely play footy and he just had that height advantage on Marchbank and Lever and the strength advantage on Durdin, while not having any obvious, glaring weaknesses that I'm aware of.

I see a lot of similarities as far as playing style goes between him and Jarryd Roughead, with them both being big, competitive and strong, with excellent speed, big leaps, good hands and good long left foot kicks and both having the ability to play down back, up forward and I dare say in the ruck. Like Hugh will, Roughy started down back from memory, although I'm not confident Hugh will ever be as good up forward as Roughy. Chances are he won't be, but if he did it certainly wouldn't surprise me greatly. He and McCartin played about 6 games together up forward for Geelong in 2013 (their underage year) and Hugh kicked as many or more goals than Paddy in every one of them, which I think says something.

Last edited:
Acres kicking is very good and he has elite pace.
So far for us Blake's kicking has been something he's admitted that he's been "working on", with some who saw him for his games at Sandy saying it wasn't that great, while from what I've seen it's been fine and neither anything special, nor poor.

As for his pace, are you saying that from what you've seen visually when he's played, or from that WA testing from early in his draft year? He tested off the charts there, but didn't test anywhere near as well at the combine later that year (albeit coming off no footy for months and a shoulder op) and from what I've seen of him I would say his pace is good and that he is slippery (like say a Farren Ray, who he reminds me of when he runs), but that he's certainly not noticeably super-quick by any means.

I think with him it's just that he's a really well rounded package of attributes, combined with natural footy ability and also class. He just sort of cruises around and does things at a high level. I'm really looking forward to seeing how he goes once he gets a few games under his belt and he got better as the game wore on on the weekend. Farren Ray being our for the next 2-3 months has really opened up a spot for someone like Blake and hopefully he grabs his chance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back