Strategy 2013 v 2014 Draftees, who would you take

Remove this Banner Ad

4 and 7 must have been very tempting though! Would have been a pretty agonising decision.
Not really, club's subsequently said they rated the top three picks head-and-shoulders above the rest. If it had've been 3 and 7, now that might've been enough.

Having to add in 21 into the deal would've made the decision easier too.

The mail (and it's also been mentioned a couple of times since in the media now as well) was also that it was 1 and 21 for 4 and 7, so I don't think we had to think that much about it if that was the case. Given that I kept on hearing that we didn't rate Wright nearly as highly as Paddy, I think it's pretty safe to say that we would now be incredibly happy that we didn't do that deal, especially since I believe we rated Goddard a lot higher than 21 and thought it was ridiculous that he was still available there.

Yeah, that's what I recall reading too. GWS were interested but they weren't going to sell the farm for pick #1. St Kilda wanted a decent return. No deal, and both are probably fine with that (I know the fan bases are).

Not really, club's subsequently said they rated the top three picks head-and-shoulders above the rest. If it had've been 3 and 7, now that might've been enough.

Having to add in 21 into the deal would've made the decision easier too.

I heard this in 2009 also, that the top 3 were head and shoulders above the rest, Scully, Trengrove and Martin, pitty Talia #13, Fyfe #20 and Carlisle #24 wern't rated all that highly.

I heard this in 2009 also, that the top 3 were head and shoulders above the rest, Scully, Trengrove and Martin, pitty Talia #13, Fyfe #20 and Carlisle #24 wern't rated all that highly.
You can play that game with any draft with the benefit of hindsight

I think that most years I would accept 4 and 7 for 1 and 21 purely to the quality you can get in that range. That being said if their was a year to reject that type of trade it was probably this one. Saints in hindsight did brilliantly and there was a clear top 3 and then a significant drop off. Other years I think St Kilda would have accepted such a trade.

I think that most years I would accept 4 and 7 for 1 and 21 purely to the quality you can get in that range. That being said if their was a year to reject that type of trade it was probably this one. Saints in hindsight did brilliantly and there was a clear top 3 and then a significant drop off. Other years I think St Kilda would have accepted such a trade.

When there is a true KPP available, you take that option as they are so hard to find..... Can't fault the Saints recent drafting, they've done well.

When there is a true KPP available, you take that option as they are so hard to find..... Can't fault the Saints recent drafting, they've done well.

Agree if theres a KPF at pick 1 and that is the only spot he can possibly be drafted then keep it, but other than that say whitfields year, swallow, scully etc and a similar offer had been made then I'd be taking the 4 and 7 which is all good in hindsight but I would be accepting that swap most years.

The 2014 draft class has been called very even. It might be even but I think the quailty in the first rounder is lacking. Think of it like this CP is rated the top midfield talent and is rated better then any other midfielders of his draft class by quite a bit. Yet he would not have been taken in the first 4 picks of the 13 draft. What the 2014 draft doesn't have is players that you could build a team around or genuine star power.

Boyd. Doggies building the club around the kid.
Kelly gun would not be surprised if he becomes the best of all the giants young guns.
Billings has heaps of class with all the tools to become an A grade midfielder.
Bonty the new generation prototype midfielder.

2014 draft just does not have the high end talent that the clubs that finish bottom 4 would have been hoping for.

You can play that game with any draft with the benefit of hindsight

I will put it out there, I would take Lever, Petracca and Langford ahead of Boyd, unpopular opinion? yes, but to me they look like they will be the better players, hell I also think Collingwood got it wrong picking Moore at 9, I believe Langford will be the better player, (not because he's at Essendon either), Moore struggles to read the play something Langford does extremely well, a skill often overlooked, stats will also clearly show the discrepancy. I honestly don't think Moore will make it as a forward at AFL level.
But that's just my opinion, without the benefit of hindsight.

Last edited:
92850_51a1870cabd304d0f439a33fc7f835a7.png

The 2014 draft class has been called very even. It might be even but I think the quailty in the first rounder is lacking. Think of it like this CP is rated the top midfield talent and is rated better then any other midfielders of his draft class by quite a bit. Yet he would not have been taken in the first 4 picks of the 13 draft. What the 2014 draft doesn't have is players that you could build a team around or genuine star power.

Kelly gun would not be surprised if he becomes the best of all the giants young guns.

2014 draft just does not have the high end talent that the clubs that finish bottom 4 would have been hoping for.
WTF? Forgetting about McCartin for a minute, who I would have thought you could build a team around as much as most, but have you not seen Petracca play, or heard about him? How the hell is he not "star power" and I certainly don't agree that he wasn't good enough to have gone in the top 4 of the previous draft.

Many underestimate or discredit him because he wasn't seen as a likely no.1 pick from a long way out, but that was only because there were questionmarks about whether he would just be a "flanker", or "undersized key forward" at AFL level and there were real doubts that he would be able to play midfield, but once all those doubts were emphatically erased, he went back to being ranked around the sort of area he always would have been, had those doubts not existed in the first place. He put together two seriously top notch seasons at under 18 level, so it's not like he just came from no-where, or was undeserving of going super-high in his draft. Not too many would have put together two better or more dominant seasons at under 18 level leading up to their draft than Petracca did.

While they bring some very different attributes to the table, he well and truly outperformed Jack Billings at junior level (albeit Jack was significantly hampered by an injury in his draft year, so we didn't really get to see the best of him that year- although Petracca outperformed him as an "underager" as well) and he has some very serious weapons, just like Jack does (in Petracca's case he's much more explosive and athletic, much more powerful, stronger overhead, more dynamic and more proven in the midfield) and I dare say there was only one club in the comp (if that) who would have taken Bontempelli ahead of Petracca, had Petracca been in the 2013 draft and come off the sort of seasons that he went into the 2014 draft off.

In hindsight they'd likely take Bonty, given that he's had a season at AFL level and showed so much, while Petracca has only just been drafted and as such is a less "safe bet", but you don't have hindsight at the time of a draft and as such, I fully expect most, if not all clubs would have gone Petracca over Bont (who was a relative "smokey") in that situation. There was one club that apparently didn't even rate Bont in the first round at the time of his draft and he sure as s**t wasn't someone who was widely considered a consensus top 5 pick, let alone top 4, I don't believe.

Last edited:
I will put it out there, I would take Lever, Petracca and Langford ahead of McCartin, unpopular opinion? yes, but to me they look like they will be the better players, hell I also think Collingwood got it wrong picking Moore at 9, I believe Langford will be the better player, (not because he's at Essendon either), Moore struggles to read the play something Langford does extremely well, a skill often overlooked, stats will also clearly show the discrepancy. I honestly don't think Moore will make it as a forward at AFL level.
It actually does have the benefit of hindsight because you've now seen how the draft plays out. Different players are rated differently by all clubs and your opinion on Langford is one not shared by 11 AFL clubs because they all preferred to take someone else ahead of him, some of them doing so two or three times.

That's not to say that he might not turn out to be a good player, that's just how he was rated on draft day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I will put it out there, I would take Lever, Petracca and Langford ahead of McCartin, unpopular opinion? yes, but to me they look like they will be the better players, hell I also think Collingwood got it wrong picking Moore at 9, I believe Langford will be the better player, (not because he's at Essendon either), Moore struggles to read the play something Langford does extremely well, a skill often overlooked, stats will also clearly show the discrepancy. I honestly don't think Moore will make it as a forward at AFL level.

That's because he may be used as a back-man...........and that would be the only reason.
Moore does everything at a very good level and is quite fast & mobile for his height.
Tack on the fact that he's a natural leader and will do everything to get the best of himself, I can't see where the fail comes into play.

Leaders and those that push themselves beyond normal limits have the best chance of making it in a tough AFL environment..
Moore, Brayshaw and Lever may be the safest bets of the top 20 to play 200+ games, health allowing.

WTF? Forgetting about McCartin for a minute, who I would have thought you could build a team around as much as most, but have you not seen Petracca play, or heard about him? How the hell is he not "star power" and I certainly don't agree that he wasn't good enough to have gone in the top 4 of the previous draft.

Many underestimate or discredit him because he wasn't seen as a likely no.1 pick from a long way out, but that was only because there were questionmarks about whether he would just be a "flanker", or "undersized key forward" at AFL level and there were real doubts that he would be able to play midfield, but once all those doubts were emphatically erased, he went back to being ranked around the sort of area he always would have been, had those doubts not existed in the first place. He put together two seriously top notch seasons at under 18 level, so it's not like he just came from no-where, or was undeserving of going super-high in his draft. Not too many would have put together two better or more dominant seasons at under 18 level leading up to their draft than Petracca did.

While they bring some very different attributes to the table, he well and truly outperformed Jack Billings at junior level (albeit Jack was significantly hampered by an injury in his draft year, so we didn't really get to see the best of him that year- although Petracca outperformed him as an "underager" as well) and he has some very serious weapons, just like Jack does (in Petracca's case he's much more explosive and athletic, much more powerful, stronger overhead, more dynamic and more proven in the midfield) and I dare say there was only one club in the comp (if that) who would have taken Bontempelli ahead of Petracca, had Petracca been in the 2013 draft and come off the sort of seasons that he went into the 2014 draft off.

In hindsight they'd likely take Bonty, given that he's had a season at AFL level and showed so much, while Petracca has only just been drafted and as such is a less "safe bet", but you don't have hindsight at the time of a draft and as such, I fully expect most, if not all clubs would have gone Petracca over Bont (who was a relative "smokey") in that situation. There was one club that apparently didn't even rate Bont in the first round at the time of his draft and he sure as s**t wasn't someone who was widely considered a consensus top 5 pick, let alone top 4, I don't believe.

From what I've heard even the draft experts rate this draft quite low interms of quailty. As for CP he is considered less of a talent then most of the midfielder taken that high in other drafts. The high quality talls that everyone raved about just did not come on.
Take a look at the best players from last years U18 champs Parish Tucker and Burton just to name a few all this years draft and all probably already ahead of McCartin and CP.
This years draft is not one that is being talked up as anything special but it is already considered better then 14 with a likely much better number one pick.

Funnily enough I think you could probably make the case to take Petracca or Brayshaw ahead of all those guys but Boyd, based on junior performance and style of play.

They're physical, contested midfielders with a high skill level - Kelly, Billings and Bont all have very high skill levels, but they don't have the inside game of either Petracca or Brayshaw... and there isn't one elite midfielder in the competition who doesn't have a great inside game.

McCartin certainly would be picked before the midfielders.

No way.

McCartin & Goddard is better than Pickett & Ahern

I'd take Boyd, Kelly and Billings ahead of Petracca if he was in last year's draft. Not sure about Bontempelli, it's great with hindsight but I think [etracca had a lot more runs on the board then Bonts did.

Kelly was nearly taken in the mini draft that's how predigiuosly talented he was considered. Too suggest that all of Bonty Billings and Kelly won't develope an inside game at AFl level when there bodies allow is just not the case.

To be really elite at AFL level you really need both inside and outside game, I'm sure there are a few exceptions.

Both CP and Brayshaw had a huge size avantage at U18 level. They will not be the big dogs at AFL level.
Will be interesting to see how there games translate in the big leagues.

I'd say Bontempelli has an elite inside game, he is very good around clearences. I'm sure there would be some stats to back that up.

Kelly was nearly taken in the mini draft that's how predigiuosly talented he was considered. Too suggest that all of Bonty Billings and Kelly won't develope an inside game at AFl level when there bodies allow is just not the case.

To be really elite at AFL level you really need both inside and outside game, I'm sure there are a few exceptions.

Both CP and Brayshaw had a huge size avantage at U18 level. They will not be the big dogs at AFL level.
Will be interesting to see how there games translate in the big leagues.

How has Ollie Wines' game translated to the 'big leagues'? Pretty well you'd say.

Of Kelly, Billings and Bont - Billings has the best contested game, all will develop further but none have the natural inside game that Petracca or Brayshaw have, regardless of their 'size advantage' as juniors.

One thing often overlooked with young players is that strong teenagers often become very strong men.

I'm pretty bullish about Petracca and Brayshaw, both have inside based games with good outside skill sets.

In my mind you'd take Boyd and McCartin before any of the mids, after that they're pretty even.

How has Ollie Wines' game translated to the 'big leagues'? Pretty well you'd say.

Of Kelly, Billings and Bont - Billings has the best contested game, all will develop further but none have the natural inside game that Petracca or Brayshaw have, regardless of their 'size advantage' as juniors.

One thing often overlooked with young players is that strong teenagers often become very strong men.

I'm pretty bullish about Petracca and Brayshaw, both have inside based games with good outside skill sets.

In my mind you'd take Boyd and McCartin before any of the mids, after that they're pretty even.

How you going buddy? hope all has been well.
You must be very excited getting Petracca and Brayshaw, 2 very good young players who both look set for long AFL careers.

Funny how Boyd is seen as must take players at pick 1 just because he is a KPF, honestly this is just my opinion but I would really consider Lever and Langford ahead of him, I personally would not use a pick on a player just because they play as a KPF, but I would go for the guys who seem to know how to read the play the best which Petracca, Lever, Langford and Brayshaw all seem very good at, players like Hogan and Daniher on the other hand I would have selected ahead of these guys because they can read the play playing KPF.
I just don't see it in Boyd, I'm on my own with this opinion but I guess time will tell.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back