List Mgmt. 2014 Draft Trade FA Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol Gary Lyon never struck me as some one with a great deal of integrity. Melbourne High brought him down to play school footy from Kyabram on a full scholarship I believe, ended up not playing because he didn't want to risk getting injured, and since then has never acknowledged or returned to the school (we have a really strong Old Boys network and it is tradition for successful past students to return to the school, give speeches, mentor etc).
Don't think that's true. A mate of mine's father played for the school and played alongside Garry.

Aside from the fact he's flavour if the week on here; what's so special about Neal-Bullen?

Gets a lot of the pill at SANFL level... What else?

VERY keen on Duggan also; reminds of Simon Black.

EDIT: would mind a sneaky punt of Brayden Maynard with a 2nd rounder; strong, quick, fanatical tackler, great mark...

ive heard a whisper that is very accurate on these things. reckons the cull will be big
How much more is there to cull after retirements? Unless we plan on having zero senior players left. We can just have Riewoldt + 21 kids running around out there losing 100+ each week that's not the right environment for young players to develop.

Logic would dictate: winning 5 games 1 year, and 4 the next...the team isn't up to it. Time to move on the older generation IMO - Jones, Schnides, Gilbo, Gwilt, Joey, Fish, Milera all in the gun

out - 2013
Kosi - 200
Blake - 219
Milne - 275
Dal - 260
McEvoy - 91

out - 2015
Hayes - 297
Jones - 149
Montagna - 232
Gilbert - 146
Gwilt - 125
Schneider - 214
Fisher - 198

2406 games of experience in 2 years!! (Of course, i don't think all 7 will go this year)
Logic might also suggest that those older guys aren't the problem.

A bigger problem is that maybe Saunders, Murdoch, Ross, Weller, Curren, Lee, Siposs, Markworth, Roberton, Shenton, Simpkin, Dunell (12 players) aren't up to it.

Jones, Hayes, Maister, Dunell, TDL, Milera is a good start, I don't think we'll need to free up 10 spots this year though, so maybe one of Gwilt/Fisher & maybe Schneider.

We are in for some serious pain if we lose Joey on top of Lenny IMO. We can barely get hold of the ball and these two are our biggest ball winners.

Logic might also suggest that those older guys aren't the problem.

A bigger problem is that maybe Saunders, Murdoch, Ross, Weller, Curren, Lee, Siposs, Markworth, Roberton, Shenton, Simpkin, Dunell (12 players) aren't up to it.

Jones, Hayes, Maister, Dunell, TDL, Milera is a good start, I don't think we'll need to free up 10 spots this year though, so maybe one of Gwilt/Fisher & maybe Schneider.

We are in for some serious pain if we lose Joey on top of Lenny IMO. We can barely get hold of the ball and these two are our biggest ball winners.
Pretty harsh on Saunders, TC, Markworth and especially Weller IMO.

Saunders rarely gets significant game time (mainly due to the ridiculous sub rule) and is not yet 20yrs old, TC (22) is limited but effective as our attempt at Puopolo, Markworth (22.5) has talent to burn but has been unlucky with injuries and Weller (22.5) is starting to add real offence to his lock-down ability; there's a reason he was a priority selection.

Even Ross, whilst I'm not convinced by him., is only just over 21.

Not everyone is a superstar at 19... See Watson, J.

well, I was talking to the school historian, back when I was doing stuff for the Heritage Society years back. Maybe he's got a foggy memory - who knows.

Have you tried the cubicle walls? That's where most of my schools history was recorded. You're welcome.

I've watched him pretty closely this year at St Pats and I'm telling you he's a very special player. Was challenged early this season about his defensive game and tackling and has responded wonderfully. Different players but he reminds me of Pendlebury, so much time with the footy. Geelong are very, very keen but with the feedback he's been given from some clubs I'd be surprised if he's still there after pick 10-12.
Yeah my concerns are that he won't last too long.
Have heard Freo are also extremely keen on him as well.
I can't remember a player like him at the same age.
I'm looking forward to what moves we make in trade week so we can load up on some mid-late first round picks!

Pretty harsh on Saunders, TC, Markworth and especially Weller IMO.

Saunders rarely gets significant game time (mainly due to the ridiculous sub rule) and is not yet 20yrs old, TC (22) is limited but effective as our attempt at Puopolo, Markworth (22.5) has talent to burn but has been unlucky with injuries and Weller (22.5) is starting to add real offence to his lock-down ability; there's a reason he was a priority selection.

Even Ross, whilst I'm not convinced by him., is only just over 21.

Not everyone is a superstar at 19... See Watson, J.
I'm wasn't actually writing any of those guys off.

But at this stage they are average at best at AFL level, some will make it, others might not improve, but I can't see too many of them becoming really high quality AFL footballers.

The reality is that Jobe was a much better player than Seb at the same age. In 2006 he played 21 games and averaged 23 touches. 11 games over 25 disp.

I don't want to ditch these guys, but from what we've seen so far, they are not going to cut it against good AFL midfields.

There's also a reason Weller was delisted and not traded. He & Curren are honest battlers, support players.

Last edited:
Logic would dictate: winning 5 games 1 year, and 4 the next...the team isn't up to it. Time to move on the older generation IMO - Jones, Schnides, Gilbo, Gwilt, Joey, Fish, Milera all in the gun

out - 2013
Kosi - 200
Blake - 219
Milne - 275
Dal - 260
McEvoy - 91

out - 2015
Hayes - 297
Jones - 149
Montagna - 232
Gilbert - 146
Gwilt - 125
Schneider - 214
Fisher - 198

2406 games of experience in 2 years!! (Of course, i don't think all 7 will go this year)
And therein lies the rub. In three years, if Roo's knee goes bust at the end of 2015, that's pushing up to 3000 games. Geewillikers.

Another thing to consider is if we get rid of some of our older guys who we don't think are up to it, we can grab 1 or 2 older guys from other teams who ARE still up to it but are struggling to get what they want. Ryan O'Keefe is one of those. I'd happily PSD O'Keefe or offer a late/formality pick, Swans wouldn't want to screw him over after all he's done for their club. I think if we really cut deep we have to consider bringing in 1 or 2 quality players and individuals into the playing group who have experience and integrity.

Aside from the fact he's flavour if the week on here; what's so special about Neal-Bullen?

EDIT: would mind a sneaky punt of Brayden Maynard with a 2nd rounder; strong, quick, fanatical tackler, great mark...
Maynard would be amazing if he lasts!
The deal with ANB was a few rumours that have come out that Saints were into him, someone said a few pages back, and looks a good sort as well

Another thing to consider is if we get rid of some of our older guys who we don't think are up to it, we can grab 1 or 2 older guys from other teams who ARE still up to it but are struggling to get what they want. Ryan O'Keefe is one of those. I'd happily PSD O'Keefe or offer a late/formality pick, Swans wouldn't want to screw him over after all he's done for their club. I think if we really cut deep we have to consider bringing in 1 or 2 quality players and individuals into the playing group who have experience and integrity.
The guy will be 34 before next season. He's finished.
Surely we won't move Montagna on and then pick up someone 3 years older.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm wasn't actually writing any of those guys off.

But at this stage they are average at best at AFL level, some will make it, others might not improve, but I can't see too many of them becoming really high quality AFL footballers.

The reality is that Jobe was a much better player than Seb at the same age. In 2006 he played 21 games and averaged 23 touches. 11 games over 25 disp.

I don't want to ditch these guys, but from what we've seen so far, they are not going to cut it against good AFL midfields.

There's also a reason Weller was delisted and not traded. He & Curren are honest battlers, support players.

Weller was delisted as he had no currency, had a big head, poor attitude and wasn't AFL fit. Best thing that happened to him as he then got fit, added boxing as an extra training regime and matured to understand that talent alone won't get you a game. Saints have and will continue to benefit from this enormously as he has the potential to be an A Grade midfielder. Another season of tagging and he will then be unleashed as a genuine midfielder who can take a grab and kick goals. Great pickup by the Saints.

My bro played a fair bit of club footy with Alex. He's got good endurance, skills reasonable. He's also a really high character guy, which clubs look at not at all arrogant like some types that are going to get drafted. I'd agree with you though he is more of a 30-40 pick. Don't think his ceiling is as high as say a Duggan who I also think is very good but will be gone by our second pick. He'll reach his peak earlier but his peak won't be as high and that's not the type of player we should be chasing IMO. More after the De Goey/ Duggan pick hoping one of them slides

Saints have and will continue to benefit from this enormously as he has the potential to be an A Grade midfielder. Another season of tagging and he will then be unleashed as a genuine midfielder who can take a grab and kick goals. Great pickup by the Saints.
I would like nothing better than to see this, looks like a solid b-grader to me, but I hope you are right.

Maynard would be amazing if he lasts!
Maynard G Krebs....
Maynard_G_Krebs.jpg

Weller was delisted as he had no currency, had a big head, poor attitude and wasn't AFL fit. Best thing that happened to him as he then got fit, added boxing as an extra training regime and matured to understand that talent alone won't get you a game. Saints have and will continue to benefit from this enormously as he has the potential to be an A Grade midfielder. Another season of tagging and he will then be unleashed as a genuine midfielder who can take a grab and kick goals. Great pickup by the Saints.
Absolutely. In many ways, his story is much the same as Miles from Richmond. A delisted midfielder for one of the expansion clubs, whose midfields are a glut of terrifying talent. Both were starved of opportunities, and the chief thing that had been holding them back - entitlement syndrome - was soundly beaten out of them when they were first rejected by all 17 other clubs in trade week, then delisted, then ignored in the main draft, and only finally taken in the rookie draft as a last roll of the dice.

Miles and Weller are two classic cases of the maxim that, you only start really living when you've been inches away from being about to die. They are completely different players now from the spoilt brats they were at their previous clubs.

I just keep thinking of Matthew Egan and wonder if Gilbo is similarly going to be finished. Foot injuries suck.
Sam should give Hirdy a call & find out what experimental drugs helped him get back on the park back in the 90s after his persistent navicular injuries.... ;)

If we trade Luke Dunstan I will cry, seriously. Kid is already a very good AFL player and is in his first year, in 4 or 5 years time I imagine he will be our captain.

why would we trade dunstan?

But you are acting like bringing in Savage, Delaney, Longer and Bruce cost us those players when we only would have been able to pick up 1 of Lemmens and Taylor if we hadn't picked up Longer. And then we would have been screwed this year when Hickey went down.

We will continue to bring in fresh young top end talent and getting players from other clubs doesn't stop us from doing that. The club has stated that it will be after more draft picks to draft more young players. Basically, I have no idea how or why you want to bring in players like Gehrig, Hamill, Lawrence, Callaghan and Capuano but you are against us bringing in Savage, Bruce, Delaney and Longer (not saying they are similar players but the 2013 recruits cost us a hell of a lot less than the 2000 crew).

I agree that we need lots more top end kids and that having a bunch of picks in the 20-40 range this year would be great but we will have to give up something good to get it.

Anyway, Lawrence, Callaghan and Capuano didn't do alot. Only Gherig and Hammill did. and even hammill was injured for over a year. remember the 2 weeks endlessly on the injury list by thomas

Yeah I've seen him a few times for St. Pat's but not plenty. I can't remember seeing too many kids have the time and balance that he has, probably a below par carnival by his standards but what he's done since in the TAC Cup has been pretty consistent.
I really think he's probably the one type of midfielder we lack at the moment, that young classy and balanced player. If we could land him somehow I think our midfield could be seriously scary in a few years time.

How have you seen his post carnival form Rahul?
I haven't really kept close tabs on him but he's had a fairly solid season in the TAC Cup all year. Champs he probably didn't have the role he wanted but he's a really high quality user of the football and they don't slide too much.

Delist Milera & give Minch his spot..?

Knightmare still rates McCartin and Wright the highest. Compares Petracca with Dustin Martin.
Rates Wright at a similar level to Joe Daniher.

someonone on saintsational said milera is on personal leave and is now back in SA. Maybe its true?

I would like nothing better than to see this, looks like a solid b-grader to me, but I hope you are right.

+1. I am very happy to be proven wrong, but I'd be surprised if he was in our next premiership team. He is averaging 0.2 possessions a game (14.8 overall) more than Jack Billings, who is an 18 year old kid playing predominantly forward, and 0.2 possessions a game less than Jimmy Webster, who is a second year player playing on a back flank/pocket. Yes, I know he has been tagging, but if anything I thought Curren did a better job tagging, especially early in the year. On current form, I'm not sure he'd be getting a game at most other clubs.

Sam should give Hirdy a call & find out what experimental drugs helped him get back on the park back in the 90s after his persistent navicular injuries.... ;)
Hah. Obviously whichever ones it took!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back