List Mgmt. 2014 Draft Trade FA Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What if pick 3 was involved?

Pick 1 for Pick 3 (Wright/McCartin), ORourke & Jacksch....

Still overs IMO

JOR is rookie list at best IMO. Jacksch less so and will have currency but the over riding factor with both is that they're out of contract so their price would be less.

People will argue we'll still get the player we want from the draft, so we are effectively getting them for free. But the way I see it is this is Pick 1. It will net a very very good player in pertracca. They'll need to offer up something better.

Also worried about JOR clogging the senior list which is already pretty tight. Unless we cut it quite deep.

What if pick 3 was involved?

Pick 1 for Pick 3 (Wright/McCartin), ORourke & Jacksch....

Problem here is, we are missing out on an elite mid. We get a gun forward (potentially) and a very good swing man, and a ok-good mid. If this deal was made, i'd really want to trade into the top 15 and secure Weller or De Goey...maybe Joey & 21 - Kangas for Pick 14 & 54

walk away with:

Jaksch
O'Rourke
(3)Wright/McCartin
(14)Weller
(38)Wigg
(54)Urban

Yes, but I'd prefer it if we could on-trade those 2 for more picks.

Good idea, their are a lot of clubs interested in O'Rourke and Jaksch, they are probably only worth 2nd round picks which GWS don't have a lot of use for. If they traded the pair to us we would love to have another 2 second rounders. Lets say we on trade O'Rourke to Melbourne and Jaksch to Carlton

>Pick 1
<Pick 3, pick 21, pick 26

We end up with picks 3, 20, 23, 26, 38

Still overs IMO

JOR is rookie list at best IMO. Jacksch less so and will have currency but the over riding factor with both is that they're out of contract so their price would be less.

People will argue we'll still get the player we want from the draft, so we are effectively getting them for free. But the way I see it is this is Pick 1. It will net a very very good player in pertracca. They'll need to offer up something better.

Also worried about JOR clogging the senior list which is already pretty tight. Unless we cut it quite deep.

If we could get two early second rounders for the pair I think that would be a good trade.

Yes well some people would call him an amateur hack rather than a professional commentator.....lol

lol Gary Lyon never struck me as some one with a great deal of integrity. Melbourne High brought him down to play school footy from Kyabram on a full scholarship I believe, ended up not playing because he didn't want to risk getting injured, and since then has never acknowledged or returned to the school (we have a really strong Old Boys network and it is tradition for successful past students to return to the school, give speeches, mentor etc).

My apologies. It is a very dark illness.
No probs.

I may sound harsh towards Mitch, but I remember that my university degree never stopped & waited for me to 'get better' during my depression years, same with my 2 part time jobs - I had to keep studying & working & fight through the mental demons. I didnt have the luxury of 3 years of $500k a year salary (& the rest he's earned so far) to fall back on & take time out while i got myself better. I had to keep struggling & fighting through it all. Mental illness is very serious, but geez these elite sports people don't really understand how good they have it; to be able to just walk away & not have to worry about cash or lifestyle changes to an extent, while they get themselves better makes the road to better mental health a lot easier.

FWIW, I'm pretty sure the depression manifested through his struggles to get back from his chronic injuries, not really anything to do with playing for Melbourne as such.... :thumbsu:

No probs.

I may sound harsh towards Mitch, but I remember that my university degree never stopped & waited for me to 'get better' during my depression years, same with my 2 part time jobs - I had to keep studying & working & fight through the mental demons. I didnt have the luxury of 3 years of $500k a year salary (& the rest he's earned so far) to fall back on & take time out while i got myself better. I had to keep struggling & fighting through it all. Mental illness is very serious, but geez these elite sports people don't really understand how good they have it; to be able to just walk away & not have to worry about cash or lifestyle changes to an extent, while they get themselves better makes the road to better mental health a lot easier.

FWIW, I'm pretty sure the depression manifested through his struggles to get back from his chronic injuries, not really anything to do with playing for Melbourne as such.... :thumbsu:
Good on you mate. A lot of people don't make it out of that. :thumbsu:

Personally, this is what I would do..

Retire: Hayes, Maister, Jones, Schneider
FA: Gwilt
Delist: TDL, Dunell, Shenton
Trade: Pick 1 and 38 for Pick 3, 20, 24

Pick 3: Wright/McCartin
Pick 20: Weller
Pick 21: Duggan
Pick 24: Neal-Bullen
Pick 56: Weller upgrade
Pick 74: Minchington upgrade

PSD: Jacksh

Rookie: Slider, Saad, LeGrice/McTaggert

Ins and outs (trying by comparisons)

Hayes > Neal-Bullen
Maister > Wright/McCartin
Jones > Weller upgrade
Schneider > Minchington upgrade
Gwilt > Jacksch
TDL > Weller
Dunell > Duggan
Shenton > Slider

Add Saad and LeGrice/McTaggert to rookie list

PARTY!

In seriousness though..

A) we may have to trade one of those 20 picks for Jacksh if a bidding war starts and we think he is worth it compared to who else may be around at that pick

B) I haven't factored in Gwilts FA compensation pick :/ maybe we trade that for Jacksch or a moneyballer like last year (also not opposed to delisting/trading Siposs and using the pick in the draft [Urban?])

C) have a feeling that that trade of picks with GWS may be asking a bit much.. However I think I have a blueprint of how it should go (e.g. Throw Jacksch in and lose a pick, trade away our second rounder instead and use Gwilt compo in draft, etc.)

D) Saad in PSD, Whiley in RD also an option

But if we came away with that I would be ecstatic!

All I care about is getting another pick in the top 15 and picking up Duggan.
I think he's seriously underrated on here and has class and time like few others.
I don't think he'll be around come our second pick.
This kid is seriously special.

I think he's seriously underrated on here and has class and time like few others.
I agree, guessing you've watched him for St Pats? Have only seen him at Metro/Jets level but his ball use and execution is a class above, it's wonderful to see a 17 year old able to receive, steady himself and execute better the a lot of AFL footballers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree, guessing you've watched him for St Pats? Have only seen him at Metro/Jets level but his ball use and execution is a class above, it's wonderful to see a 17 year old able to receive, steady himself and execute better the a lot of AFL footballers.

Yeah I've seen him a few times for St. Pat's but not plenty. I can't remember seeing too many kids have the time and balance that he has, probably a below par carnival by his standards but what he's done since in the TAC Cup has been pretty consistent.
I really think he's probably the one type of midfielder we lack at the moment, that young classy and balanced player. If we could land him somehow I think our midfield could be seriously scary in a few years time.

How have you seen his post carnival form Rahul?

I have a gut feeling that Gilbo might retire....depending on of course his injury and how serious/if its the recurring injury he has had.

There is a time when you need to start thinking about life after footy and your body, for Gilbo that time is now imo

While I don't think he will it wouldn't surprise me at all of Gilbo does hang them up. Three serious foot injuries in one year at 28 isn't great. I think next year though if it hecks up again he'll hang them up.

Good. Bring it onnnnnnn.

What sort of numbers are we looking at though? Surely not 10+?

I have no insider info but from my reckoning it has to be at least 6 (first 3 picks plus 3 rookies) and could easily be 8-10 depending on trades and how many extra picks we manage to get.

Gone: Lenny Hayes, Beau Maister

Not good enough: Sam Dunell, Trent Dennis-Lane, Tom Simpkin, Terry Milera, Arryn Siposs (Yes the last three are contracted but don't see them making it at AFL level wouldn't be surprised if we move them on even if no trades.) - None are going to help win us a flag just list clogging.

Thanks for the service but time to go: Clinton Jones, Adam Schneider, James Gwilt

Then you have question marks over others:
Daniel Markworth - I hope we keep him but not sure if he has re-signed or not
Lewis Pierce - I hope we keep him as well either on the rookie or senior list like DM unsure if re-signed
Sam Fisher - I think he'll probably remain though
Leigh Montagna - Does he want to be here?? i think he does personally but we'll see
Sam Gilbert - Foot is a worry now..
David Armitage - If we got a very good offer that was to good to refuse he'll be traded
Rhys Stanley - Not exactly safe either like Armo if we got a good offer that we couldn't refuse he is gone
Darren Minchington - what will they do??

Cameron Shenton is a lock to be elevated by the look of it.

etc.... not saying all that will happen.

While I don't think he will it wouldn't surprise me at all of Gilbo does hang them up. Three serious foot injuries in one year at 28 isn't great. I think next year though if it ****s up again he'll hang them up.

I just keep thinking of Matthew Egan and wonder if Gilbo is similarly going to be finished. Foot injuries suck.

I've watched him pretty closely this year at St Pats and I'm telling you he's a very special player. Was challenged early this season about his defensive game and tackling and has responded wonderfully. Different players but he reminds me of Pendlebury, so much time with the footy. Geelong are very, very keen but with the feedback he's been given from some clubs I'd be surprised if he's still there after pick 10-12.

lol Gary Lyon never struck me as some one with a great deal of integrity. Melbourne High brought him down to play school footy from Kyabram on a full scholarship I believe, ended up not playing because he didn't want to risk getting injured, and since then has never acknowledged or returned to the school (we have a really strong Old Boys network and it is tradition for successful past students to return to the school, give speeches, mentor etc).
Prick stole my footy as a kid... Kicked it into his yard by accident; he kept it.

Logic would dictate: winning 5 games 1 year, and 4 the next...the team isn't up to it. Time to move on the older generation IMO - Jones, Schnides, Gilbo, Gwilt, Joey, Fish, Milera all in the gun

out - 2013
Kosi - 200
Blake - 219
Milne - 275
Dal - 260
McEvoy - 91

out - 2015
Hayes - 297
Jones - 149
Montagna - 232
Gilbert - 146
Gwilt - 125
Schneider - 214
Fisher - 198

2406 games of experience in 2 years!! (Of course, i don't think all 7 will go this year)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back