List Mgmt. 2014 Draft Trade FA Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regardless of which player you prefer, we can not crucify our number one pick before he's even played a game. We don't want to encourage a culture where we put too much heat on these teenagers and blame them for mistakes. McCartin will prosper if we support him, it'll take time and Petracca will likely have the greater impact early, but we need to back our recruiters. Look at the drafting they did last year. Have faith.
Our recruiters have had one really good year in a decade, so I think scepticism is understandable & healthy.

Agree on supporting whoever we pick-up though.

You list every single possible, even if unlikely, option for our forwards and claim we have plenty of options but then don't list half of our current mids.

Who of quality did I miss? Joey and Armo. One almost done, the other a GOP. Seb Ross? lol, Saunders? Fair Dinkum talk about splitting hairs.

Jen Phelan on Twitter: "Saints deny changing their minds on who they'll take with no. 1. Might also not tell the player before the draft."
That is interesting. I actually have no clue who we are going to pick now

I hope that is wrong.

Coaches should stay the **** out of this stuff IMO.

*Unless the coach has some intimate knowledge of that player. AR knows the Petracca quite well from whats been reported. Who knows, Petracca just might be a friggin head case?

I hope that is wrong.

Seem to recall a few people throwing a tizzy a few weeks back when there was a rumour that the coach was using his infulence to get family friend Petracca.

Is he now using his influence to overlook family friend Petracca?

Seriously, I just can't keep up :(

Last edited:
I hope that is wrong.

Coaches need to have a say. I don't agree with the coach over ruling the recruiters but they need to be involved in discussions on who their club is going to draft.

Joff, just a few points.

I don't recall anyone from the club officially stating after the trade period that wanted to take Petracca. Certainly it was assumed by many fans however I never saw Pelchen, Elsaugh, Bains, Richardson etc refer to us wanting a particular player by name.

I never saw anything officially from the club that stated exactly what picks were on offer (I'm excluding the likes of jaxons here). I recall something from Pelchen early on that indicated that there may have been two picks within the first 15 or so on offer.

McCartin and Wright are not interchangeable. There would be more reason for the Saints to want McCartin who is a genuine Key Forward than Wright who is more of a Ruck/Forward. So yes we may have got one of them at 4 (assuming we were offered 4) but not neccessarily the one we wanted.

Although most of the experts have Petracca at #1 I do not believe that was the case mid year. Petracca no doubt had a great year while Paddy missed a fair bit with injury. Regardless, I do not believe his #1 status is as clear cut as say a few others over the years.

Not having a go; just trying to put a different side to it.

All good points doc and I am glad someone had the courtesy to actually address my reasons and not with some simplistic one line BS.

Couple of things - nobody at the club stated Petracca. Jon Ralph has stated that this is what was said to him - along the lines of "we didn't trade picks because we wanted the best opportunity to select Petracca" (paraphrased).

Doesn't mean Petracca was a lock though.

McCartin/Wright. In our current list position and with my reasoning, one is as good as the other as far as forwards go. hell I would say, from what I have read McKenzie will probably fit the bill.

You are correct, until fairly recently McCartin was the selection of No.1

maybe watching our mids get flogged week in week out, losing Lenny, and the emerging good reports of Petracca changed the view for many Saints supporters.

Might've been McCartin all along.
Apparently on SEN they reported Richardson has had a massive say in it, almost over ruling Bains & elshaugh

Finally someone talking some sense. Everyonee assumed all along we want Petrecca...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wayne Carey
Shittest family of all time
Arrogant as hell
Would have interviewed very poorly
Absolutely s**t bloke
Also happened to be one of the greatest players to ever pull on a boot.

If we pass on a gun because of his family or arrogance or messy bedroom we have lost the plot.

Who of quality did I miss? Joey and Armo. One almost done, the other a GOP. Seb Ross? lol, Saunders? Fair Dinkum talk about splitting hairs.

So you list Holmes, Longer, and Hickey as viable forwards but laugh at Ross and Saunders who have both shown more form in that role than those 'forwards'? You also forgot Steven and if you don't want to count Joey why did you count Roo since Joey could easily play for longer than Roo.

You complain about us not having mid options while using a bunch of very uncertain forwards (half of which are ruckmen) as proof of viable forward depth yet conveniently choose to ignore a number of proven and unproven mids on the team.

We have better midfield depth and easier access to midfield talent than we do key forwards.

Grabbing McCartin & McDonald does make our spine look a whole lot better in a few years.
Would it be better to grab 2 mids @21&22 and then grab Nielsen at 41?
I don't know how big the gap between McDonald & Nielsen is tho.
Big. McDonald much more versatile (there's that word again), agile, faster and taller.

Wouldn't be unhappy with Nielson though. Probably the best pure stopper in the pool.

tl; dr:
McDonald - Harry Taylor
Nielson - Luke Delaney

Did he really say that?

If I wasn't worried before, I am now

08 - Lynch, Stanley, Heyne, Smith, Cahill, Begley
09 - Winmar, Smith, Pattinson, Johnson, Dawson, Miles
10 - Cripps, Crocker, Ledger, Siposs, Gamble, Polo
11 - Ross, Markworth, Newnes, Webster, Lever, Maister, Blake

We have one player still on the list from 3 years of drafting and he is very unlikely to go on after this year.

2011 was better, but Ross & Markworth are still up against it forge out a career.

We could write a text book on draft failure from that period.

We need to nail this # 1, not be spooked by arrogance.

You are not comparing apples with apples here I think. Marked difference from 2011-13 (when Elshaugh came on board) compared to 2006-10 (when the knob John Peake was running the show).

Also remember 11 and 12 were compromised drafts. Newnes at 37 and Webster in the 40's were both good picks. Markworth has been unlucky with injuries but otherwise he would be another tick. Ross was always going to take longer but I personally like what he does and think next year he will take great steps fwd with 2016 being his breakout year.

In 2012 Wright has been a bit unlucky with broken jaws and the like but I like his courage, mongrel, and dash. Spencer was speculative and we took him apparently to beat Collingwood taking him with their pick. Saunders I'm not sure of but I like Murdoch and he has the tools to be a very good player. Again Saunders and Murdoch were picks in the 40's.

Last year was well and truly nailed. Enough said.

So yes of course you have every right to feel worried and I share your concerns but also please consider as per the above, this current recruiting team has got more picks right than wrong.

Currently I'm confused and am one of those posters who will back this recruiting team as they have given me no reason to doubt their ability to pick the right player based on the last 3 years output...

So you list Holmes, Longer, and Hickey as viable forwards but laugh at Ross and Saunders who have both shown more form in that role than those 'forwards'? You also forgot Steven and if you don't want to count Joey why did you count Roo since Joey could easily play for longer than Roo.

You complain about us not having mid options while using a bunch of very uncertain forwards (half of which are ruckmen) as proof of viable forward depth yet conveniently choose to ignore a number of proven and unproven mids on the team.

We have better midfield depth and easier access to midfield talent than we do key forwards.

No I am not saying they are viable options but development project forwards. Hickey already plays forward, Longer is developing, Holmes is a long way forward than he was thought to be.

But we have Riewoldt, Lee, White, Membrey plus the development players. We don't need another development player.

As for much better depth in the midfield - lol - just lol. Didn't see many games last season? We were continually beaten out of the centre and that was with Lenny.

We came stone motherless last with an AA as our forward option. Our midfield is by far the worst in the League and just got worse with the retirement of Lenny.

Don't see much depth there at all.

The other thing from all this is internally we rate them both very closely and we're trying to find a way to differentiate them.

Wish they'd both done the combine.

I'd take the player who wants to be the best though.

And if everyone was injury free, we'd probably be going for Lever :p

Maybe Petracca did a Wingard & basically told everyone to let him slide to the Pies at Pick 5, otherwise he'll just leave & walk there in 2 years for nothing....

I think the AFL let that one slide. Doubt it will happen again in the early picks. (Boyd is different)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back