List Mgmt. 2014 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we will go mid unless they legit think the best on the board is a KPP, they won't reach for a big i can guarantee that.

I like to feel that we have already secured two ready to go strong mids for 2015 in Mora and Sylvia and can be adventurous with the draft.

Past Brayshaw and Petracca no one seems to be be screaming pick me in the mids. De Gooey and Laverde seem to be the best of the rest but then going Lamb/Marchbank over a mid gives you the flexibility to either develop them as a tall mid or running tallish defender which I think I prefer. For mine Simpson goes to the rookie list and we use our third pick on a tall defender, draft seems to look OK out to the 50's in terms of depth.

Dream draft but don't think they will be there
Round 1 - Goddard/Durdin
Rnd 2 - Smith/Aidan Anderson
Rnd 3 - Oscar McDonald/D Nielson

Happy with
Rnd 1 - Lamb/Marchbank
Rnd 2 - Keitl/McKenzie
Rnd 3 - Redraft Simpson

Brad Lloyd has since confirmed we considered trading away our latter pick(s) to upgrade pick 13. Also, only refers to us using Picks 13 & 34 for selections. Perhaps 54 is to be utilised to redraft a delisted player in the coming weeks.

“We found that to get up the draft order in the first round we were going to jeopardise our draft position and we were not prepared to do that. We’re very comfortable with our position and we see picks 13 and 34 as a great opportunity to get some young talent into the football club.”

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2014-10-16/freo-comfortable-with-its-position-says-brad-lloyd

Seems like either the club thinks that pyschologically moving Josh to the rookie list could be a bad move or we think that another club may pounce. Alternative is they think this draft dies in the alps post pick 40.

Can't imagine any of them filling a need. I liked Battersby going into the draft, but he didn't improve a great deal in the SANFL last year. A bit like Haiden Schloithe, maybe there's something there but nothing more than rookie depth. Otherwise, Petrenko is simply not a good footballer. And Johnston has failed at two clubs now.

Taylor Hunt from Geelong is probably the only player I'd really be looking at as a delisted free agent. Just a good defensive midfielder who'd probably fit a Lyon game style, not much more to his game than that. He'd be competing with Clancee and Suban though.

I assume he read my phantom draft and saw Durdin going to Fremantle?
Re Hagdorn I thought the same thing re Chris25 when I saw the phantom I thought it was an inspired move getting Durdin to our pick.

Just another question, which mids after Petracca,Brayshaw have the best chance of turning into a Brandon Ellis/Mitch Duncan type quality mid? Would you take them before a Marchbank or Lamb?

I'll have to suss this Caleb Daniel out.

He's a gun - pure and simple. Bloody impressive highlights here. If he was 180cm and a smidge quicker he'd be top five, no question.

[edit: I particularly like the one-step goal from 50 starting at 0:23 in, the ballsy pass at 0:55, the rebound at 2:19, cooly slotting from 50m at 2:41, the freak goal at 3:08, effortless 1-2 at 4:15, another freak goal at 4:55, slick assist at 5:32, another 50m at 6:22 and even a nice little contested grab at 8:38. He just looks like he has so much time. There's also a few pretty average passages of play by Durdin in this footage, even though I like the look of him elsewhere.]

Last edited:
I wasn't referring to a 'best available' strategy. I was answering the fact that it was stated that we would target a midfielder with our top pick.

I don't think the club is too fussed what comes out of the wash if it is taking best available.

It may cause another club to pull the trigger earlier on a mid causing a better tall to drop through that may be rated higher than the next available mids on our list.

He's a gun - pure and simple. Bloody impressive highlights here. If he was 180cm and a smidge quicker he'd be top five, no question.

[edit: I particularly like the one-step goal from 50 starting at 0:23 in, the ballsy pass at 0:55, the rebound at 2:19, cooly slotting from 50m at 2:41, the freak goal at 3:08, effortless 1-2 at 4:15, another freak goal at 4:55, slick assist at 5:32, another 50m at 6:22 and even a nice little contested grab at 8:38. He just looks like he has so much time. There's also a few pretty average passages of play by Durdin in this footage, even though I like the look of him elsewhere.]

wow - he is impressive. Hate to say it but seems like a more polished Neale.

I really wouldn't be paying much attention to Hagdorn's article as I'm pretty sure that in the Sunday Times yesterday his article stating we were going after talls he referred to one of them as Marchant. One can only assume he means Marchbank.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like the sound of Durdin or DeGoey with our first pick. Marchbanks disposal drops him below these guys IMO. Goddard I am not sure about but being a well known Victorian name will always mean we would have to pay extra to keep him. Durdin seems just as good if not better if we are going tall.

Reading the article on Lamb he is gifted athletically but prone to going missing and being down on himself if he is sub-par to the point where his coach say it is his biggest hurdle.
Players that overthink the game that much and put mental pressure on themselves can easily struggle with AFL where there is always pressure on.

D. Pearce a classic example and why his training form never seems to translate consistently onto the ground. If Lamb is still around at our second pick I would take him but not with our first where we need to be more certain.

Strongly suspect we will take Simpson with our third pick - he is clearly better than anything else at that pick and it avoids the risk of leaving him for the rookie draft. WC (the main risk club for us) are committed to using their 3rd pick on junior Waterman so would need to go with their second (32) to trump us and that is unlikely.

I wasn't referring to a 'best available' strategy. I was answering the fact that it was stated that we would target a midfielder with our top pick.
which is cherrypicking the part of the sentence that suits your post, it was paraphrased as Lloyd saying "We will take a midfielder at 13 if he is best available, have loaded up on talls the last 2 drafts."

That's hardly revealing our hand, 'best available' is a highly subjective term AND we have no idea who other teams will be picking before us.

Strongly suspect we will take Simpson with our third pick - he is clearly better than anything else at that pick and it avoids the risk of leaving him for the rookie draft. WC (the main risk club for us) are committed to using their 3rd pick on junior Waterman so would need to go with their second (32) to trump us and that is unlikely.

WC are committed only to using their last pick on Waterman, as no one bid on him. They could certainly use their third pick on Simpson.

which is cherrypicking the part of the sentence that suits your post, it was paraphrased as Lloyd saying "We will take a midfielder at 13 if he is best available, have loaded up on talls the last 2 drafts."

That's hardly revealing our hand, 'best available' is a highly subjective term AND we have no idea who other teams will be picking before us.
No that's saying we are targeting a midfielder and the only thing to get in the way is a KPP that is rated higher than a midfielder.

Size is only issue. He is probably the complete opposite to what Freo need.

There's a chance he'll make it to the rookie draft (just as decent a chance that someone will take a crack in the 2nd round), in which case we may as well regardless of him not really being fit-for-needs. Too much ability to not even end up on a rookie list...

No that's saying we are targeting a midfielder and the only thing to get in the way is a KPP that is rated higher than a midfielder.

Jesus, I was trying to summarise his conversation on the radio. Did you hear it? I listened to it on the radio in the car so forgive me for not taking contemporaneous notes. From memory it went something like this.

Middlemass: So will you be looking to boost your key position players again in the draft?
Lloyd: Not necessarily, we have loaded up on talls the last two drafts. We recognise that we need more in that area but we are also looking at elite midfield talent. We will use pick 13 on the best available but these are the two areas we need boosting.

If anything, the way I heard it he was trying to send a signal not to assume we will go KPP. Nothing more or less.

WC are committed only to using their last pick on Waterman, as no one bid on him. They could certainly use their third pick on Simpson.

Oops true, I was assuming WC taking three in the draft but they could take more and drop Waterman down. They have not finalised their list yet. Having seen some glimpses in 2013 playing for Peel I would be pretty gutted if we lost Simpson to those flogs but I can understand the talent versus disciplne argument as well for the position he is in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back