List Mgmt. 2014 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

He's a gun - pure and simple. Bloody impressive highlights here. If he was 180cm and a smidge quicker he'd be top five, no question.

[edit: I particularly like the one-step goal from 50 starting at 0:23 in, the ballsy pass at 0:55, the rebound at 2:19, cooly slotting from 50m at 2:41, the freak goal at 3:08, effortless 1-2 at 4:15, another freak goal at 4:55, slick assist at 5:32, another 50m at 6:22 and even a nice little contested grab at 8:38. He just looks like he has so much time. There's also a few pretty average passages of play by Durdin in this footage, even though I like the look of him elsewhere.]

Just had a look and he is a gun. No way he will be available by round 3. Neale looks average compared to him.

Not sure about only bringing in two draftees...

It is a very different strategy for Freo who have usually gone around 8-10 (by my memory only!). So 4-5 changes this year depending on rookies.

It will only be a one year scenario, looking at our list we will have significant turnover in the next couple of years.

Just had a look and he is a gun. No way he will be available by round 3. Neale looks average compared to him.

Add a 16.1 beep test into the mix, too. Yet in SEN's words here (with a grain of salt), "South Australian Caleb Daniel, who starred in this year’s National Under-18 Championships, is quite possibly the most talented player in the draft. He is also far from a certainty to be picked up by a club."

That whole 167cm thing seems to be worrying the heck out of recruiters. I tend to think if you're good enough, like I'll begrudgingly admit Boomer is, it's not as problematic as you'd think... at a rookie pick you'd be utterly bonkers not to take him.

Add a 16.1 beep test into the mix, too. Yet in SEN's words (with a grain of salt), "South Australian Caleb Daniel, who starred in this year’s National Under-18 Championships, is quite possibly the most talented player in the draft. He is also far from a certainty to be picked up by a club."

That whole 167cm thing seems to be worrying the heck out of recruiters. I tend to think if you're good enough, like I'll begrudgingly admit Boomer is, it's not as problematic as you'd think... at a rookie pick you'd be utterly bonkers not to take him.
Our Hayden Ballantyne is listed at 174cm - http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/player-profile/hayden-ballantyne
It's not like he is dwarf size ...

Our Hayden Ballantyne is listed at 174cm - http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/player-profile/hayden-ballantyne
It's not like he is dwarf size ...

Look at Ballantyne next to Neade, who is still 3cm taller than Daniel. 7cm is nearly three inches in the old language - the difference between them is substantial. However, as I said, I don't feel it's a massive impediment at all. He's still able to tackle effectively, as the highlights show; on the other side of the ball, he's unlikely to get any more poleaxed than the current crop of little blokes do already - and he has enough acceleration and smarts to escape danger on most occasions anyway.

Look at Ballantyne next to Neade, who is still 3cm taller than Daniel. 7cm is nearly three inches in the old language - the difference between them is substantial. However, as I said, I don't feel it's a massive impediment at all. He's still able to tackle effectively, as the highlights show; on the other side of the ball, he's unlikely to get any more poleaxed than the current crop of little blokes do already - and he has enough acceleration and smarts to escape danger on most occasions anyway.
Plus he'll win a lot of high tackle free kicks :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Freo are after talls. Key positions.

How do we know that? We may assume it, but it's equally likely they'll stick to their usual 'best available' mentality. Besides, when you're talking third-rounders and rookies, you're rarely looking (apart from mature-agers) to fill immediate need as much as looking for potential longer-term gems (read Lachie 'Who The F' Neale).

How do we know that? We may assume it, but it's equally likely they'll stick to their usual 'best available' mentality. Besides, when you're talking third-rounders and rookies, you're rarely looking (apart from mature-agers) to fill immediate need as much as looking for potential longer-term gems (read Lachie 'Who The F' Neale).

Mainly because it is so blatantly obviously and that any body can see that Freo are light on for key position players.

Mainly because it is so blatantly obviously and that any body can see that Freo are light on for key position players.

Ref:

Middlemass: So will you be looking to boost your key position players again in the draft?
Lloyd: Not necessarily, we have loaded up on talls the last two drafts. We recognise that we need more in that area but we are also looking at elite midfield talent. We will use pick 13 on the best available but these are the two areas we need boosting.

Again, no point trying to second-guess the club's recruiting strategy.

I like Daniel's highlight tape but he is a very one sided by foot . In saying that he appears to have very good football smarts and could be a good pick up as a rookie .

I like Daniel's highlight tape but he is a very one sided by foot . In saying that he appears to have very good football smarts and could be a good pick up as a rookie .

Agreed by foot (as is Lachie). He's noticeably ambidextrous with his hands, though (and he has a very safe pair of them).

Ref:

Again, no point trying to second-guess the club's recruiting strategy.
I would be highly surprised to not see us take one of Goddard, Durdin or Marchbank with our first, if they're available. Sure, we might take a mid, but it seems far more logical they'll go for a tall

Please Sir one M'govern please and could you also throw Abbott also Cary as a mature age Rookie just for good measure

Remove this Banner Ad

Back