beetz

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 30, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Right, who's left?

Who SHOULD Freo take?

Who are Freo likely to take?

First up, Tyler Keitel would be a great development option.

Wouldn't mind Keitel but a mature aged key defender (preferably one still developing, perhaps in the 20-22 year old range) would be absolutely fantastic. Look what collingwood got out of Frost this year in just his second season. Getting a similar player is the absolute ideal with this pick.

Last edited:
Wouldn't mind Keitel but a mature aged key defender (preferably one still developing, perhaps in the 20-22 year old range) would be absolutely ideal. Look what collingwood got out of Frost this year in just his second season. Getting a similar player is the absolute ideal with this pick.

Mitch Brown (Ex Geelong) - 24yrs old, 196cm
Sam Grimley (Ex Hawthorn) - 23 yrs old, 198cm

Lloyd made comment that the Talls thinned out from the time their third round draft pick came up. But Tyler Keitel would have to be a chance for our Rookie Draft. Our first two ND picks were massive gets and too hard to pass over (Weller, Blakely).

Watching Peel this year they were certainly top heavy - but there would be room for another tall along with Tanner Smith and Sean Hurley after going midfielders/medium forwards in the ND.

Really think we need to go a speculative/mature age KPF pick. Peel are fine down back, but up forward we literally only have Apeness. We do need to take some kind of punt there.

Mitch Brown (Ex Geelong) - 24yrs old, 196cm
Sam Grimley (Ex Hawthorn) - 23 yrs old, 198cm

Lloyd made comment that the Talls thinned out from the time their third round draft pick came up. But Tyler Keitel would have to be a chance for our Rookie Draft. Our first two ND picks were massive gets and too hard to pass over (Weller, Blakely).

Watching Peel this year they were certainly top heavy - but there would be room for another tall along with Tanner Smith and Sean Hurley after going midfielders/medium forwards in the ND.
Not really interested in delisted players. They were delisted for a reason. If they have spent a season or two in the state leagues then maybe it's worth talking, otherwise I'd rather draft an untried player to go with Smith and Hurley.

As long as we get Smith back I'm happy. I'm a bit worried another club may poach him if we don't use our first rounder. A talented tall backman that's trained with the best defenders in the AFL would be pretty tempting even if it is a dirty move.

We can't complain if it happens. We have taken the risk.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Provided everyone is fit, which they never are, Peels talls are Hurley, Moller, A.Pearce, Apeness, Silvagni, Hannath and Griffin. Plenty. Of that list I think only 4 are good enough to maintain an AFL career. That's the problem. Which will be compounded when our older first 22 retire. I still believe we are working hard behind the scenes to recruit a free agent or trade for an established KPP. Hawkins and Rance are two likely targets. The kitty will be huge when our stalwarts retire.

I have a feeling we are going to go after Rance in the free agency. This year we apparently offered Frawley more money than Hawthorn which suggests we have a huge amount of money to spend. Also when the oldies retire that leaves even more money free to spend on proven free agents like Rance.

Tyler Keitel is the man

That would be ideal for me.

Peel are certainly flush with KPDs and Rucks, it'd be difficult to fit any more in, but up front it is just Apeness (i'm ignoring a resting ruck because that's useless to us in terms of developing a KPF). Keitel operating as a CHF like he did for a while in the U18s would be great.

Of course, this is just setting up for disappointment.

Keitel and/or Loersch. Both WA boys too which I think means even more when they're rookies. They can be patronised for longer, they don't have to change their lives too much, and money's less of an issue. And I'd be surprised if Keitel wasn't picked up by Freo.

Along with that, I'd like to see Brenda Abbott. He's deployable at either flank and even potentially as a back pocket. Very big boy, well developed physically, and some very nice distribution skills off half back. I think there's a few reasons hindering his selection, but they're not too big and potentially perfectly suited for a pick-up by a Perth side. Also fills a bit of a need with a less dynamic, bulkier player in the Crozier position.

Provided everyone is fit, which they never are, Peels talls are Hurley, Moller, A.Pearce, Apeness, Silvagni, Hannath and Griffin. Plenty. Of that list I think only 4 are good enough to maintain an AFL career. That's the problem. Which will be compounded when our older first 22 retire. I still believe we are working hard behind the scenes to recruit a free agent or trade for an established KPP. Hawkins and Rance are two likely targets. The kitty will be huge when our stalwarts retire.
Zero chance of getting Hawkins. He is a Geelong father/son selection.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back