Training 2015/16 preseason training (discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the Scharenberg ACL injury today shows that people with cursed knees just keep having problems at AFL level. I'd love Mora to be the exception and I think the rookie list is the right place for him to be.

The way Menzel returned for Geelong gives me some hope. I'd hope by Feb he's ready for a couple of trots in the NAB

How is Bennell travelling? My favourite player while he was at the Suns, actually probably in the whole comp. Always liked Fremantle and now with Bennell I will be keeping an even closer eye on your mob. That midfield of yours has the perfect mix of inside grunt and outside class. Easily the best midfield in the comp but not looking that great up forward or down back I must say. Still hoping you make the GF next season and will be cheering for you (unless against the QLD teams that is)

How is Bennell travelling? My favourite player while he was at the Suns, actually probably in the whole comp. Always liked Fremantle and now with Bennell I will be keeping an even closer eye on your mob. That midfield of yours has the perfect mix of inside grunt and outside class. Easily the best midfield in the comp but not looking that great up forward or down back I must say. Still hoping you make the GF next season and will be cheering for you (unless against the QLD teams that is)

Turned up to training a week early

Good signs. Very excited about what he can bring to the side. Also put Hill another rung down the tagging ladder so could see him explode this year.

Deciding on a buddy between Hill and Bennell is going to be hard.

Good signs. Very excited about what he can bring to the side. Also put Hill another rung down the tagging ladder so could see him explode this year.

Deciding on a buddy between Hill and Bennell is going to be hard.
It will be interesting to see what happens withHill regarding tags. With so many high end options in our set up I think they will focus on whichever player is most vulnerable to a tag rather than which player is better per se. I cannot rate Bennel higher than Hill for now anyway.

I might be alone here, but it has only taken one set of training reports for me to get excited for season 2016. After watching quite a bit of training over the last three seasons the correlation between a player having a good year and how they train in the preseason is an obvious one (with Neale's last preseason the only exception).

Our best 22 looks pretty good/decent if players play at 2015 level with Lukey Mac out and Bennell in. Imagine if Neale can lift to another gear and Crozier can turn potential into becoming a consistent scoring threat. The fact that both players returned in ripping condition is a good start at least to their 2016 performance projections.

Bennell starting his preseason early is another fantastic indicator of how he will fare in 2016. Keep the wonderful reports coming.

The potential improvement on 2015 form if Clarke and Ballas can have uninterrupted preseasons is another reason to be massively optimistic. IMO Gu, Barlow, Dawson, Mayne and Sutcliffe should also improve on 2015 form without any setbacks to fitness.

Imagine if we can also recruit a mature-age key position player capable of playing straight away.

Morobito coming good, Bennell making amends, the potential for good stories coming out of our club this years seems endless.

Last edited:
I don't rate Bennell higher than Hill, yet. I just think that teams will focus on Bennell more than Hill because of his size and goal scoring ability. Either way, we are in for a good ride IMO.

I might be alone here, but it has only taken one set of training reports for me to get excited for season 2016. After watching quite a bit of training over the last three seasons the correlation between a player having a good year and how they train in the preseason is an obvious one (with Neale's last preseason the only exception).
Certainly not alone there. It's feeling friggin' awesome so long as our young talls can all step up another rung over the pre-season.

Centre line Hill Mundy Weller
Half forward Bennell Fyfe Walters
Forward Balla Pav Clark
If thats not a 100 point plus line up then Mandurah is not the greatest place on the planet :D
Love it! No pressure Weller, just step up in to the centre/half forward line surrounded by 5 of the best players in the AFL.

Centre line Hill Mundy Weller
Half forward Bennell Fyfe Walters
Forward Balla Pav Clark
If thats not a 100 point plus line up then Mandurah is not the greatest place on the planet :D

Crozier looking super fit is another reason to get excited. Add him to the mix of quick players rotating through midfield and forward. We have the potential to be one of the quickest teams in the league.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just relaxing with my little girl on the outer wing by ourselves watching the squad train.

Morra without strapping and looks a bit leaner and in great condition. Running well.

Grey is doing laps and looking a little trimmed down. Clancee is striding them out and looks very fit.

I'll try write up a report later on today.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back