Opinion 2015 Draft Discussion Thread - now including Rookie Draft Talk

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree but I'm happy to back the club and if they feel Marsh is something we don't have, then fine. I just hope we don't pick him first round in the RD.

We will, we have committed to him, that tends to be the first selection taken. Our next live pick in the rookie draft will be Pick 32 unless we pre-list two academy players.

As for taking a KPD where would he play in the Reserves behind Malican, X.Richards, Allir Allir and Abe Davis? You want to draft a player to be given no chances to show what he can do?

Jack2Jack makes a sensible analytical post and you answer it with that bullshit.

Are you capable of posting anything that resembles something insightful with regard to tactics, analysis, meaningful assessment of players,coaches etc?

As far as I can tell your knowledge extends to McVeigh, Jetta, TDL are soft/cats and St Kilda are scum and you seemingly have an inability to comprehend anything longer than two sentences.

Almost forgot your ability to give 'likes' to posts by mods.

TL;dr WOW.
Get off your high horse champ, I wasn't bagging him at all, I was amazed at the effort that went in to the post. Put me on ignore if you like

We will, we have committed to him, that tends to be the first selection taken. Our next live pick in the rookie draft will be Pick 32 unless we pre-list two academy players.

As for taking a KPD where would he play in the Reserves behind Malican, X.Richards, Allir Allir and Abe Davis? You want to draft a player to be given no chances to show what he can do?

Fair point, on the KPD, still feel we may have to draft more than is ideal as it is the glaring area we need to get right going forward. Richards isn't young, probably has 1 year, 2 at most left. That said I see your point. Honestly I'm happy to back the club with the Rookie Draft. I loved our National draft selections after Callum Mills (obvious).

Fair point, on the KPD, still feel we may have to draft more than is ideal as it is the glaring area we need to get right going forward. Richards isn't young, probably has 1 year, 2 at most left. That said I see your point. Honestly I'm happy to back the club with the Rookie Draft. I loved our National draft selections after Callum Mills (obvious).

Best of both worlds. We may draft a kid who can go both ends ala reid and davis. Prob more of a forward but can still go back if absolutely necessary.

Best of both worlds. We may draft a kid who can go both ends ala reid and davis. Prob more of a forward but can still go back if absolutely necessary.

Actually like that idea, a genuine swingman. It is why it was annoying Brown went earlier in the ND but that is the sort of type. Sort of a forward/defender (pinch).

another ruckman

52. Kyle Galloway – Deniliquin (Ruckman 206cm/105kgs)
He’s a big, big boy and is still growing. Just 5cm shorter than Sandilands he has developed quickly and could go early if recruiters want him bad enough. Has done enough to show he could be a future star.

another ruckman

52. Kyle Galloway – Deniliquin (Ruckman 206cm/105kgs)
He’s a big, big boy and is still growing. Just 5cm shorter than Sandilands he has developed quickly and could go early if recruiters want him bad enough. Has done enough to show he could be a future star.

The problem with having so many ruckmen is how do you give them sufficient time to learn their trade, particularly on game day?

Sinclair/Tippett in the firsts.
And already TD, Naismith, Nankervis in the NEAFL.

Naismith has a 3 year contract so presumably we are developing him with the hope he will be our #1 ruckman down the line.
He's still relatively raw and I would have thought, positionally relatively one dimensional. He needs time in the ruck.

Nankervis would ideally be more fwd/ruck (Tippett to Naismith's Sinclair), but is also still developing and needs time in the ruck to develop that aspect of his game.
TD is probably on the way out, but it's difficult to see where he lines up in the NEAFL if not predominately in the ruck.
Even putting him in a KPP post creates problems as we already have guys learning their trade there (eg AA, XR, Melican).

Galloway turned 19 last week and has only been playing footy for ~3 years.
So I would have thought fair to classify him as a project who needs minutes in the ruck to learn and develop.
I'm just not sure with our existing talls how we do that with our current NEAFL line-up.

Picking another project ruckman doesn't make a lot of sense to me

Screenshot_2015-11-26-19-52-53.png

Dunno what if you blokes have discussed this already, I'm assuming from this you'll be taking him in the rookie draft.
Great bloke, came third in the Ovens and Murray league BnF, was coached by a bloke named Cresswell, someone who's quite familiar with the Bloods.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The problem with having so many ruckmen is how do you give them sufficient time to learn their trade, particularly on game day?

Sinclair/Tippett in the firsts.
And already TD, Naismith, Nankervis in the NEAFL.

Naismith has a 3 year contract so presumably we are developing him with the hope he will be our #1 ruckman down the line.
He's still relatively raw and I would have thought, positionally relatively one dimensional. He needs time in the ruck.

Nankervis would ideally be more fwd/ruck (Tippett to Naismith's Sinclair), but is also still developing and needs time in the ruck to develop that aspect of his game.
TD is probably on the way out, but it's difficult to see where he lines up in the NEAFL if not predominately in the ruck.
Even putting him in a KPP post creates problems as we already have guys learning their trade there (eg AA, XR, Melican).

Galloway turned 19 last week and has only been playing footy for ~3 years.
So I would have thought fair to classify him as a project who needs minutes in the ruck to learn and develop.
I'm just not sure with our existing talls how we do that with our current NEAFL line-up.

Picking another project ruckman doesn't make a lot of sense to me
We had a similar issue when Pat Mitchell was here. He was meant to be developed as a ruckman but because of the ruckmen ahead of him he didn't get much of a run in the ruck and was starved of ball standing in the goalsquare as a full forward

Another option out of left field would be to play Derickx as a tall defender. I vaguely remember reading he played some time there at Richmond

Galloway will be a very very long term project. He is more around the 208cm mark. Hasn't played much footy at all. Played a few games for the Shepperton Bears in the Goulborn valley football league last season

I like the addition of another ruckman, especially a genuine 1st ruck (we only have 1 of those on our current list), was needed more than another KD imo.
Tippett & Sinclair are more ruck/forwards, but are 1st in line and will be playing seniors when fully fit.
Naismith is probably next cap off the rank (you'd think so after his 3 year deal anyway), very possible he could be playing a few senior games next year (with or without injury).
Nankervis is probably in the unfortunate position of 4th in line (more of a forward/ruck too), could certainly over-take Naismith with a good pre-season but is probably relying on a few injuries to get a game in the seniors.
Derickx, barring some divine intervention, is all but gone end of next year.

As for how do you develop them in the 2nds? Tippett/Sinclair obviously won't play there. Nankervis will be more forward/pinch hitting (that's more his role anyway), leaving Naismith/Galloway to spend a fair bit of time in the ruck. You'd think they'd put their development over Derickx, who'll bit part here and there if needed. Odds are though at least 1 or 2 will be injured meaning fitting them all in will be a total non issue.

Can someone explain how pre-selection works? When can it be done?

All clubs can pre list International Rookies and players who haven't played at AFL or State League level for 3 years*
Sydney/GWS can also pre list players from their academy that they nominated before the draft or players of NSW Origin (how Galloway and Murray were eligible)
Brisbane/GCS can also pre list players from their academy that they nominated before the draft or players of QLD Origin

*might also have a game component to it

All clubs can pre list International Rookies and players who haven't played at AFL or State League level for 3 years*
Sydney/GWS can also pre list players from their academy that they nominated before the draft or players of NSW Origin (how Galloway and Murray were eligible)
Brisbane/GCS can also pre list players from their academy that they nominated before the draft or players of QLD Origin

*might also have a game component to it
Thanks mate, that last NSW origin cleared up my confusion!!!

View attachment 196033

Dunno what if you blokes have discussed this already, I'm assuming from this you'll be taking him in the rookie draft.
Great bloke, came third in the Ovens and Murray league BnF, was coached by a bloke named Cresswell, someone who's quite familiar with the Bloods.
How good is Sam Murray's post? Obviously better at Facebook than Leonardis!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back