Opinion 2015 Draft Discussion Thread - now including Rookie Draft Talk

Remove this Banner Ad

I am disappointed that in the draft and preseason draft the Swans did not pick up a single key position defender.

I can understand your point of view but with Richards, Grundy, Talia, X, AA, Melican, AJ to hopefully come back, Laidler, Rampe, Davis and Sam Reid to help out, how are we going to play anyone else in the backline?
We will know after next year if X, AA will make it or if AJ will make it back, in the meantime I think Talia will work out for us and with Reg having a couple of years left, I think we have a couple of years breathing space.
Like I said with Reid, Laidler, Rampe, Davis to help out, worse case senerio isn't so bad :)

Who makes way for our new draftees in Rd 1? I'm on the record as stating O'Riordan may force McVeigh to the bench. Will Rampe hold his spot given Dawson & Leonardis both play off the HBF?

I'd be amazed (but over the moon) if any of those players played in the 1st this year. That would be an amazing achievement, especially for O'Riordan, who will still be learning the game.

Who makes way for our new draftees in Rd 1? I'm on the record as stating O'Riordan may force McVeigh to the bench. Will Rampe hold his spot given Dawson & Leonardis both play off the HBF?
Out: Sinclair, In: Galloway
Out: Jones, In: sexytyrone97
Out: Towers, In: O'Riordan
Out: Lloyd, In: Mills
Out: Cunningham, In: Murray
Out: McGlynn, In: Papley

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What we absolutely did not need, and I screamed this last year, was more <183cm midfielders. At the start of the season that list was:

Kieren Jack
Craig Bird (gone)
Lloyd Perris (gone)
Harry Cunningham
Jake Lloyd
Daniel Hannebery
Tom Mitchell
Brandon Jack
Jarrad McVeigh
Zak Jones
Luke Parker
Ben McGlynn
Daniel Robinson
Lewis Jetta (gone)

And we didn't draft any. Excellent. What we did draft was a 187cm midfielder, our biggest after Kennedy. And we selected 3 utilities with some athleticism who are also of decent size in Murray, Dawson and O'Riordan. And a pacy halfback, which is proven to be a position that you can acquire to a high standard with low national draft picks. In fact it is one of the 2 best positions you should select with a pick at that range.

We drafted an overage ruckman in the rookie draft, which is exactly where to do it. We drafted an overage small forward in the rookie draft, which is exactly where to do it.

I am very happy. It is almost like people read my posts.

Is that praise for Kennear:eek:

Seriously I agree with your assessment we got the mix right this year and got players we can work with, have good kicks (I'll leave Galloway out of that part) and can be used in multiple ways across the ground.

Now lets see them develop

So now we are going off early!
This place has become a joke.

How does anyone know that these blokes will be any better than the blokes that have been criticised all year?

They are rookies. No other club wanted them.
Yet before they've played a game for the club they are ahead of the criticised ones.

All this based on some highlights.

In the context of the Swans I don't actually think it means much, but FWIW we now apparently have the 13th youngest list and rank 11th in games played.
https://www.draftguru.com.au/lists/2016 *

*The list also has us with 8 rookies (but none listed as category B) and with Daniel Robinson yet to debut so probably doesn't help confidence in the data.

Last edited:
How does anyone know that these blokes will be any better than the blokes that have been criticised all year?

Gee you're becoming defensive! To answer your question, of course we don't know, that's a given. But that's not what's being discussed. The question is more, what type of player should we draft to maximise our chances of success. All swansfan was saying was that since we have enough <183cm midfielders, there was no need for us to draft more players of the same type, and we didn't. Personally I'm not one to get excited over players we've just drafted before they've played a game, but I don't mind the mix of players we got this year. What's your take on this year's draftees?

Is that praise for Kennear:eek:

Seriously I agree with your assessment we got the mix right this year and got players we can work with, have good kicks (I'll leave Galloway out of that part) and can be used in multiple ways across the ground.

Now lets see them develop
Who is Kennear?:eek:

Gee you're becoming defensive! To answer your question, of course we don't know, that's a given. But that's not what's being discussed. The question is more, what type of player should we draft to maximise our chances of success. All swansfan was saying was that since we have enough <183cm midfielders, there was no need for us to draft more players of the same type, and we didn't. Personally I'm not one to get excited over players we've just drafted before they've played a game, but I don't mind the mix of players we got this year. What's your take on this year's draftees?
I thought he was referring to the deliberately piss-taking posts from J_Moore etc saying we should drop our players for all the draftees

That's a great response!

I thought he was referring to the deliberately piss-taking posts from J_Moore etc saying we should drop our players for all the draftees

Stop pointing out my mistakes :oops:

(Edit: You're probably right, but my reply was still on point)

(my reply was still on point)
It sure was, I don't think he picked up on J_Moore's dripping sarcasm (I thought it was hilarious, as was whoever brought up the drop Kennedy gag a few posts later)

I don't think he picked up on J_Moore's dripping sarcasm (I thought it was hilarious, as was whoever brought up the drop Kennedy gag a few posts later)

It was funny, but not enough to make me use my 'like' button.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back