2015 Non Freo discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Montanga throwing punches in the Port Game.
9ab055c96e8f1dbb89e3ed2b8dd3e309.jpg

Rousey is awesome. Awesome technique. Has completely destroyed her division.
She dedicated her victory to Rowdy Roddy Piper as well which is nice considering her ring name is inspired by an all time pro wrestling great.
The fact that she has trained with one of my favourite old school Judoka's Gene LeBell is very cool.

Her fights are more entertaining than a lot of the blokes if you appreciate the jiu jitsu/judo technique. No wonder Dana has made her the face of the UFC.

Ah Esti, don't do that. I know what you mean, a quick glance at some threads/posts and you'd think we're fighting for the wooden spoon instead of battling hard at the top of the table. But just limit your visits if it helps or use ignore on 'serial offenders' who really annoy you. Focus on the good stuff. Don't got entirely, that would be a shame.

+1

Bit late to the party and obviously esti makes his own decisions but this board can't afford to lose its best long-term posters. Have a J, have a root, have a rethink and hopefully take to heart...

It's ironic that in the 8 years I've been here that this place is probably at its worst when the team is sitting on a club season record 15-2 o_O Not that's it actually ever been 'bad' or even is really now but this season is the first time ever that it has at times started to test my patience..

Ah to have Bushie back to stir a few of the nuffies up :D:(

It's ironic that in the 8 years I've been here that this place is probably at its worst when the team is sitting on a club season record 15-2 o_O Not that's it actually ever been 'bad' or even is really now but this season is the first time ever that it has at times started to test my patience..

I think it's partly because although Freo are on top of the ladder and so close to winning their first premiership, posters can see that other teams are just as capable of winning it.

It would be hard to take another grand final appearance and another loss.

I think it's partly because although Freo are on top of the ladder and so close to winning their first premiership, posters can see that other teams are just as capable of winning it.

It would be hard to take another grand final appearance and another loss.

Another GF loss and the freo jokes will be endless.

Also because we're one of the very few no1 spot team in a decade to have so many questions if we can win it.

I really hope the '40%' extra work during preseason hasn't burned the players out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We don't seem to be handling success that well huh.

It's just what happens when you expect to win and expect to win easily most weeks. The year is a long slog, personally I am not too fazed at the way the team is playing at the moment because there is so much time left to rectify small issues. However I can see why people are getting a bit worried.

Another GF loss and the freo jokes will be endless.

Also because we're one of the very few no1 spot team in a decade to have so many questions if we can win it.

I really hope the '40%' extra work during preseason hasn't burned the players out.

As brilliant as the Hawks are viewed they are 3 games behind Freo from playing not such brilliant games on a number of occasions.

It's also true in RL among Freo fans - I thinks it's a combination of nerves, anticipation, doubts if we really can do it, etc. I'm enjoying the ride and the pessimism when we're top of the league (!!!) is a part of that.

Well, somehow the expectation move up as well when a team moves up the ladder. In top spot somehow all losses are suddenly game we should have won, so the absolut number of should have won games doesn't change dramatically. And we now expect/hoping big wins instead on being competitive. So overall as much expectations get satisfied as when we would do worse. Seems to be the natural way how the human mind works

It's also true in RL among Freo fans - I thinks it's a combination of nerves, anticipation, doubts if we really can do it, etc. I'm enjoying the ride and the pessimism when we're top of the league (!!!) is a part of that.

I do understand it too, simply put- after 20 years of mostly being either a nothing, middle of the road team or a laughing stock, and wearing the barbs and scorn of arrogant West Coast t@ssr#gs (and the rest) during those two decades, we're finally on the verge of ultimate glory.

We're top of the ladder, two home finals are in sight. This is different to 2013. We have that pain and experience under our belts. We know what needs to be done this time. We got the smallest of tastes two years ago, we know that the pain we felt, and it was a lot, will seem like a flea bite when compared to the ecstasy a maiden flag will bring. We've invested a lot into this game and club, and supporters are genuinely desperate. My own misgivings have manifested in a silent dread but I know why many become outwardly emotional, and subsequently post s**t online.

So, I don't condone it (OBVIOUSLY) but I understand it. A vent thread like Richmond's seems like it would be pretty popular I imagine but surely we're better than that? Inb someone digs up my considerable collection of angry posts, it's the sustained negative posting that wears thin pretty quickly. Especially when nothing of substance is being asserted.

I do understand it too, simply put- after 20 years of mostly being either a nothing, middle of the road team or a laughing stock, and wearing the barbs and scorn of arrogant West Coast t@ssr#gs (and the rest) during those two decades, we're finally on the verge of ultimate glory.

We're top of the ladder, two home finals are in sight. This is different to 2013. We have that pain and experience under our belts. We know what needs to be done this time. We got the smallest of tastes two years ago, we know that the pain we felt, and it was a lot, will seem like a flea bite when compared to the ecstasy a maiden flag will bring. We've invested a lot into this game and club, and supporters are genuinely desperate. My own misgivings have manifested in a silent dread but I know why many become outwardly emotional, and subsequently post s**t online.

So, I don't condone it (OBVIOUSLY) but I understand it. A vent thread like Richmond's seems like it would be pretty popular I imagine but surely we're better than that? Inb someone digs up my considerable collection of angry posts, it's the sustained negative posting that wears thin pretty quickly. Especially when nothing of substance is being asserted.

This is it... Plus the fact that pav - sandi - macca may be in their last year or two in sandies case (personally I think sandi could finish end 2017 given a good run with injuries).

Add that to what you already posted so well and the fact the Hawks have been so good I think causes some frustration if we aren't seen to be growing it improving.

All that aside how good is it to turn up 8 out of 10 weeks expecting to and experiencing wins!

All that aside how good is it to turn up 8 out of 10 weeks expecting to and experiencing wins!

That's it. There are probably 15-16 teams who would love to be where we're at. I was thinking when watching the GWS game on the weekend that they reminded me so much of some of our early days when we would be pretty wrapped just to win a quarter (as they did) against a top team. Come away feeling we'd had a reasonable day, but still another loss and sitting mid table and just thinking, yeah, that's about right, that's where we're at.

Now we're expecting to win every week, and usually with justification. Every week my young son asks me where Freo are on the ladder. I just love hearing me say, we're on top son. Bloody hell, I'm loving it myself. Doesn't mean I don't see problems - and as to the big prize, well who knows? Many good teams have missed it - that's life. But you've got to live for the moment a bit or you just end up a grumpy old sour sap. It's sport FFS, it's meant to be a thing of joy.

The atmosphere reminds me a bit of the off-season 4-5 years ago where the closer it got towards the season starting, the more argumentative people got. The way I see it - people love to complain about *something* and in the absence of anything of substance to argue about, will make a mountain out of a molehill.

We win the first 9 games? We should have beaten everyone by more... We lose a game? It's the sign of a slide - we aren't going to make it this year. God forbid we have a sustained period of being down in form like we have (while still winning and being top of the ladder)

Sure - everyone is here to see our club win a premiership. As supporters we have two choices in how we approach that.

Enjoy the ride, and take it for what it is (regardless of whether 'this is our best chance yet' or whether 'we should be doing better') and accept that we are in a good place right now, that the team does need to improve it's play, but you know what - it's bloody exciting right now.

OR

We can get upset that this is the last chance for the club to achieve the ultimate goal (it's not, but anyway - believe it if you will). That the team doesn't have what it takes to do it this year. That we are going to get smashed come finals. That all the signs of us not smashing teams must mean we suck. That our decision to not recruit talls 4 years ago will cost us this year. That we should have recruited Lever, or Darling, or McGovern, or McCarthy. That nothing in life is ever good enough right now. That Pearce should be dropped (and Subes, and DeBoer, and replaced with untested hypotheticals, because * you Lyon we know better). And we can spend the whole season complaining because we've set the bar impossibly high for what we expect the club to achieve. And we worry we won't make it.

It's our choice. But i'd rather celebrate the wins, enjoy talking about areas the players can improve, not have a 'premiership or bust' approach, and talk about my favourite topic with people I love, than be a negative shithead that brings down the mood of everyone here by melting down constantly. But that's just me.

8 years.

Noob.

The atmosphere reminds me a bit of the off-season 4-5 years ago where the closer it got towards the season starting, the more argumentative people got. The way I see it - people love to complain about *something* and in the absence of anything of substance to argue about, will make a mountain out of a molehill.

We win the first 9 games? We should have beaten everyone by more... We lose a game? It's the sign of a slide - we aren't going to make it this year. God forbid we have a sustained period of being down in form like we have (while still winning and being top of the ladder)

Sure - everyone is here to see our club win a premiership. As supporters we have two choices in how we approach that.

Enjoy the ride, and take it for what it is (regardless of whether 'this is our best chance yet' or whether 'we should be doing better') and accept that we are in a good place right now, that the team does need to improve it's play, but you know what - it's bloody exciting right now.

OR

We can get upset that this is the last chance for the club to achieve the ultimate goal (it's not, but anyway - believe it if you will). That the team doesn't have what it takes to do it this year. That we are going to get smashed come finals. That all the signs of us not smashing teams must mean we suck. That our decision to not recruit talls 4 years ago will cost us this year. That we should have recruited Lever, or Darling, or McGovern, or McCarthy. That nothing in life is ever good enough right now. That Pearce should be dropped (and Subes, and DeBoer, and replaced with untested hypotheticals, because **** you Lyon we know better). And we can spend the whole season complaining because we've set the bar impossibly high for what we expect the club to achieve. And we worry we won't make it.

It's our choice. But i'd rather celebrate the wins, enjoy talking about areas the players can improve, not have a 'premiership or bust' approach, and talk about my favourite topic with people I love, than be a negative shithead that brings down the mood of everyone here by melting down constantly. But that's just me.
I am with you. The other thing is that the players we have with limitations (Suban, de Boer, Mzungu etc) are genuine warriors. They bring something to the team and are far from passengers. In an ideal world we bring in upgrades, and we certainly have some coming through.

It's a defensive mechanism. Failure hurts a lot more when you think victory is a sure thing. So you create doubts and vent them to others knowing that if we lose you don't have to take the full weight of the lose because you never fully committed, you can say to yourself "I knew it, I knew we weren't good enough".

This season is either going to end in pure ecstasy or in an absolute soul-crushing defeat. If we lose it'll hurt us as fans far more than any previous defeat. Because this will be the one that we let slip, the one where we did everything possible throughout the season to put ourselves in a position to win and still didn't get the chocolates. More than likely it'll mean our club champions Pav and Macca finish up without a premiership to their name. In the off-season we will question whether Ross and his gameplan are capable of winning the main event. Ross will be seen as always a bridesmaid never the bride. The Wet Toast supporters will be unbearable in their glee.

But * that. This is our year and we're going win the lot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back