News 2015 preseason training news and updates

Remove this Banner Ad

Ottens, Corey, Ling, Bartel . . . big strong brute's weren't they.

Blicavs, Stokes, Christensen, Selwood . . . stark contrast to what made us a tough midfield proposition for any opposing team.

That's misrepresenting our midfield this year, I doubt we ran that we ran that combo even once at a centre bounce

McIntosh Selwood Johnson Guthrie are hardly short people

Jansen is a monster of a kid. If he can develop further this year he is exactly what we need in the middle.

Will give us a strong combination of inside ball winner who is also able to break free and run , can't wait to see him debut

Looking at the photos you can't help but get excited about last years draft - Jansen , Hartman and Lang - all could be part of the midfield in 2 years time.
We are also due for a bit of luck so I hope that Cowan and Menz are able to stay injury free and contribute.

Basketball recruits the way of the future Turbs??

Im sure , on this board he has been compared to Petrrica... if he could become a player for us , you may be right. Blitz then him . Irish played a bit as well.

Thing with the Soap is he is not tall bean pole , something tells me he could play a bit of black top ball. No blood no foul.

Im sure , on this board he has been compared to Petrrica... if he could become a player for us , you may be right. Blitz then him . Irish played a bit as well.

Thing with the Soap is he is not tall bean pole , something tells me he could play a bit of black top ball. No blood no foul.
I'm not too sure if I completely buy into this but I was talking to someone who used to do a bit of scouting and he was of the opinion that basketballers, who have played some footy, should be sounded out.

His thinking was that they have grown up learning to operate within crowded spaces and have really good peripheral vision and an ability to make decisions quickly due to the shot clock.

It was an interesting discussion, that had some valid points (I thought) but I think there is also little bit more to it.

I'm not too sure if I completely buy into this but I was talking to someone who used to do a bit of scouting and he was of the opinion that basketballers, who have played some footy, should be sounded out.

His thinking was that they have grown up learning to operate within crowded spaces and have really good peripheral vision and an ability to make decisions quickly due to the shot clock.

It was an interesting discussion, that had some valid points (I thought) but I think there is also little bit more to it.

Heard the theory espoused re Pendelbury. Yes its tight in the Key but I ahve always thought it was the desicion making on the fly that may benefit. Ball in hand , under pressure , hit the open player or the best option. As far as inside players go , not many BBall players do much at the bottom of a pack

Heard the theory espoused re Pendelbury. Yes its tight in the Key but I ahve always thought it was the desicion making on the fly that may benefit. Ball in hand , under pressure , hit the open player or the best option. As far as inside players go , not many BBall players do much at the bottom of a pack
Pendlebury is the glamour b-baller, no doubt. I really like watching him play. Always looks like he has more time than he should.

And that probably is a by-product of playing basketball.

Perhaps some pre-season should be spend in a gym, playing ball.

Really need 2 of Lang, Blease and Cowan to make their mark next season. We've lost some outside run with Christensen and Varcoe leaving - if we can't replace it adequately then we will look terribly slow through the middle. As it stands really only Motlop and Murdoch have genuine speed in our team.
I have confidence that Lang will start to step up a bit.

Cowan is a mystery but hopefully he comes good.

Blease might surprise.

Pendlebury is the glamour b-baller, no doubt. I really like watching him play. Always looks like he has more time than he should.

And that probably is a by-product of playing basketball.

Perhaps some pre-season should be spend in a gym, playing ball.
Before I continue with this post I want to state that I'm not trying to big note myself in any way but I did play bball at the elite level as a junior and I feel very strongly about the fact that bball definitely helps young aspiring footballers improve their game, particularly with the amount of congestion around the ball these days. Bontempelli, Jake Stringer and Petracca are just 3 recent names that have grown up playing bball and in my mind no doubt helped develop their footballing ability.

Other than the obvious advantages gained out of playing bball such as awareness, agility and making the right decision under pressure bball is a game of instinct. Once you get to a certain level you start to do things without thinking and that's when the real high level talent shows out amongst the rest and IMO these are the players that go on to be quality footballers if they have the right amount of dedication. PM me if you want to know more about who I played with and against in my junior days and how it might have helped them in their footballing careers.

It's a subject that I'm extremely passionate about.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just thinking about our fortunes for next year, there seems to be alot of talk about our depth and how it could either help us improve or hold us back but I think that we could see some real improvement from our top 6 next year compared to last year. Selwood, Hawkins, Taylor, Johnson, Motlop and Duncan are in my view our top 6 players. I think that all of them can to varying degrees have better years than what they had in 2014. It will be interesting to see how it pans out next year.

Just thinking about our fortunes for next year, there seems to be alot of talk about our depth and how it could either help us improve or hold us back but I think that we could see some real improvement from our top 6 next year compared to last year. Selwood, Hawkins, Taylor, Johnson, Motlop and Duncan are in my view our top 6 players. I think that all of them can to varying degrees have better years than what they had in 2014. It will be interesting to see how it pans out next year.

I am sure all clubs are saying similar stuff about their own players, even Eade said he that he expects Ablett to improve next year. But I'm not going to expect more from Selwood, Hawkins, Taylor and Duncan for the most part they had very good years. When Johnson wasn't injured he also played well but he historically doesn't get through a full season unharmed and given that he is turning 31 next year it would be unfair to expect too much more from him. I agree on Motlop, he needs a full pre-season to build up his tank, so that he chase in addition to breaking the lines he was a shadow of his best last year.

If anything our improvement will come from our under 22 year old players lead by Guthrie, Caddy and Horlin-Smith followed by more than half a dozen others, who I am hoping will mimic those guys performance this year. And our new recruits both from trades and player returning from long term injury, I am backing Cowan to have a breakout year.

I am sure all clubs are saying similar stuff about their own players, even Eade said he that he expects Ablett to improve next year. But I'm not going to expect more from Selwood, Hawkins, Taylor and Duncan for the most part they had very good years. When Johnson wasn't injured he also played well but he historically doesn't get through a full season unharmed and given that he is turning 31 next year it would be unfair to expect too much more from him. I agree on Motlop, he needs a full pre-season to build up his tank, so that he chase in addition to breaking the lines he was a shadow of his best last year.

If anything our improvement will come from our under 22 year old players lead by Guthrie, Caddy and Horlin-Smith followed by more than half a dozen others, who I am hoping will mimic those guys performance this year. And our new recruits both from trades and player returning from long term injury, I am backing Cowan to have a breakout year.
No doubt that all clubs at this time of year have cause for optimism. But I stand by the fact that all 6 players can have better years than what they had last year. Selwood carrying a leg injury, Hawk coming off a serious back injury, Johnson a back and then a foot, Taylor being inconsistent for reasons unknown to us, Motlop with his knee and Duncan more due to the fact that at his age he should still be improving even if it is only at a small rate.

But yes, no doubt that our younger players should play a massive part in our improvement along with the players that we have brought in from other clubs. At the end of the day we wouldn't have brought them in if we didn't think that they would make a difference at our club.

Call me what you like, but I see so much to be optimistic about heading into 2015.

Agree with this. Saw him this year with CE at Preston and while he was still A MASSIVE WAY OFF being an AFL player ( just had to bold that for those that will read this and think im calling him the next big thing)

He certainly takes no s**t. Got a bit of a late one to the scone and was straight up again in the blokes face giving him him what for in the chest.
He is thick ( I've said this before) in the midsection. Not fat - just solid - really solid…. like GAS solid. He is a unit.

The BB thing I feel has relevance too as while the fine skills are very different, the in close, fast decisions, quick hands, and both sides of the body work ring true to AFL. His tank needs a lot of work and he is clearly doing it. He will need ill of his 3 years on the B rookie list to develop I feel but form what I saw, the mongrel, the physique, the poise, the basic skills and the desire are there. When starting to make a player, they are pretty good ingredients.

GO Catters

Agree with this. Saw him this year with CE at Preston and while he was still A MASSIVE WAY OFF being an AFL player ( just had to bold that for those that will read this and think im calling him the next big thing)

He certainly takes no s**t. Got a bit of a late one to the scone and was straight up again in the blokes face giving him him what for in the chest.
He is thick ( I've said this before) in the midsection. Not fat - just solid - really solid…. like GAS solid. He is a unit.

The BB thing I feel has relevance too as while the fine skills are very different, the in close, fast decisions, quick hands, and both sides of the body work ring true to AFL. His tank needs a lot of work and he is clearly doing it. He will need ill of his 3 years on the B rookie list to develop I feel but form what I saw, the mongrel, the physique, the poise, the basic skills and the desire are there. When starting to make a player, they are pretty good ingredients.

GO Catters

Good to hear a respected voice on him. The times I saw him , TV and live , he didn't standout in a negative way. Sometimes you see someone and think they are lost , he was not. He also had better foot skill than what id have thought. Got off the ground and took a pack mark. But tank , yes that may be his "Kyptonite" , just like it was KarmichaelHunt. BB is not as demanding in this type of fitness as FB , even playing FP , it seemed he lacked repeat efforts. Few if any players now can get a game without reaching internal benchmarks. I suspect it was one of the issues for "our" Schroder , that or just too one paced.

Still if he can really amp up the mongrel , he could bring something that then give him a little leniency in other areas. I might be hoping for a bit to much , but Im thinking he could be a Martin type.(hopefully without the tatts) If he can really come on in 2015 at get games (like Hartman did) we will know he a likely win.

Last edited:
That is exactly who they are talking about STC, its all pretty encouraging. I am glad that as a club we are able to investigate these posibilites.
And being a cat B rookie (I think) it's basically a free hit. If he turns into a player then great. If he doesn't nothing lost

Exactly Willo, I'd say that we've done pretty well with these Cat B rookies so far, even if you only count the milage we've gotten out of Blicavs.

Does anyone have information on how many cat B rookies we've taken since the rule came in and we can see how many times we've gotten something out of it?

Blicavs might be the only success for all I know.

Exactly Willo, I'd say that we've done pretty well with these Cat B rookies so far, even if you only count the milage we've gotten out of Blicavs.

Does anyone have information on how many cat B rookies we've taken since the rule came in and we can see how many times we've gotten something out of it?

Blicavs might be the only success for all I know.

Blicavs, Bathie and Luxford are the three, and now Lucey the 4th.

We did take guys like Ediriwickrama but that was under the now defunct NSW scholarship scheme so those guys did take up a spot on the normal rookie list, whereas CAT B players are outside the standard rookie list.

We are talking about Luxford yes.
Keep you eyes on him this year in the VFL.

Go Catters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back