2015 Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't want to be unkind either but by what measure? He was taken at pick 67, has played what 40 games in 4 years and is playing reserves. He is 209 cm but averages just 22 hitouts and isn't much use forward. Late second rounder/early third rounder at best I would think.
Just to point out, he was only taken at 67 because the Pies had exclusive access to him under the old academy system. It was said at the time he would have gone a lot earlier had he been available in the open draft.

And he's in the reserves due to team balance, rather than lack of ability or form. He's in the unfortunate position of having a freak of nature in Grundy ahead of him in the pecking order.

He's contracted, we would not part with him unless we get a first rounder or something of equal value. He is currently playing reserves because we have the best young ruckman in the league Brodie Grundy and there are clubs out there that need a young ruckman.

His hitout average is lower because he hasn't played many games as the first ruckman. As a forward he shown he's a good set shot and can take an overhead mark, our delivery to forwards are about the worst in the comp so he might go better in a team with better ball users.
Looks like he's staying then.

Supposedly Hendos manager was on the radio and said he was worth 6-16...that's fine by me! :D

Just to point out, he was only taken at 67 because the Pies had exclusive access to him under the old academy system. It was said at the time he would have gone a lot earlier had he been available in the open draft.

And he's in the reserves due to team balance, rather than lack of ability or form. He's in the unfortunate position of having a freak of nature in Grundy ahead of him in the pecking order.
Fair points although you'd have to acknowledge he hasn't shown a great deal when he has played. If he isn't a number one ruck then he has to be value up forward - yet he has kicked 18 goals in 38 games. He may develop but in terms of trade value he clearly isn't worth a first rounder in what is considered to be a pretty strong first round draft.

Witts is alright, give him a couple years of full time senior footy and he could be something, but at the moment he hasn't done enough to warrant a first round pick. In comparison Geelong paid pick 21 (i think) for Stanley who is a better player overall and still paid overs (he was only a year older than Witts is now at the time). If Carlton lose Kruez and delist Warnock, Witts would be an option to look at imo, but only for a pick 30-40.

Fair points although you'd have to acknowledge he hasn't shown a great deal when he has played. If he isn't a number one ruck then he has to be value up forward - yet he has kicked 18 goals in 38 games. He may develop but in terms of trade value he clearly isn't worth a first rounder in what is considered to be a pretty strong first round draft.
That's the thing. He is a number 1 ruck, and therein lies the problem. It's become clear during the season that he and Grundy aren't able to function to their full potential in the same side. Witts actually has shown a lot when given the opportunity to solo ruck, so much so that the playing group voted him as the preferred starting 22 ruckman this preseason after Witts' strong finish to 2014.
He's been unfortunate this year, in that he had shoulder surgery in the offseason, and subsequently wasn't able to lift any weights during preseason, and had a late start to the year, meaning Grundy was handed the first ruck spot and has come on in leaps and bounds. His lack of strength caused by the shoulder issue also looks to have effected his contested marking, which was looking quite good at the end of 2014.

I'd honestly prefer to keep him. I think he will be something special and we won't get full value for him if he leaves this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's contracted, we would not part with him unless we get a first rounder or something of equal value. He is currently playing reserves because we have the best young ruckman in the league Brodie Grundy and there are clubs out there that need a young ruckman.

His hitout average is lower because he hasn't played many games as the first ruckman. As a forward he shown he's a good set shot and can take an overhead mark, our delivery to forwards are about the worst in the comp so he might go better in a team with better ball users.

All of that is fine - you can say you want a first if you're going to trade a contracted player, but why is anyone going to want to GIVE you a first??

leuenberger, Kreuzer, Smith, Gorringe - there's no shortage of available ruck men.

Hypothetical Selwood compo (if band 2 will be around pick 20)

for

Jack Redden

Interested in Lion and non-Lion views.

Probably as fair as Brisbane could hope for. West Coast are one of the fairest traders anyway so both clubs will work a deal.

Both clubs are fair at the trade table

Yep, there are only a few clubs that are notoriously bad at the trade table and Bris/WC are not one of them. Look at the Yeo deal, at the time was fairly fair (yes it has turned out to be a bargain but at the time it was reasonable)

Jack Redden and Luey compo (20ish) for steven Motlop?

Looks fare if players agree.

He even explained what he meant and still you think he stuffed it up?

You almost nailed it lol.
I didn't read the rest of his post, just saw him miss the mark when comparing ages of Gibson and Henderson and saying they're almost the same age, there was 5 years difference. If I went and picked up a 17 year old girl could I just say we're the same age despite me being 23? It's only 6 years, close enough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back