List Mgmt. 2023 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Key Trade & Draft Dates
Key Dates:

Trade Period, October 6–18
  • Restricted & Unrestricted Free Agency Period: Friday, October 6, 9am – Friday October 13, 5pm (bid matching ends Monday October 16, 5pm)
  • Trade Period (1), picks & players: Monday, October 9, 9am – Wednesday October 18, 7.30pm
Quiet Period, October 19–November 20
  • Trade Period (2), picks only: Monday, October 23, 9am – Friday November 10, 5pm
  • List Lodgement 1*: Tuesday, October 31, 2pm
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (1): Wednesday, November 1, 9am – Wednesday November 8, 5pm
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (2): Friday, November 10, 9am–5pm
  • List Lodgement 2*: Tuesday, November 14, 2pm
Draft Period, November 20–22
  • Round 1 of the National Draft: Monday, November 20, time and venue TBA
  • Trade Period (3), picks only: Tuesday, November 21, 5.45pm–6.30pm
  • Round 2–end of the National Draft: Tuesday, November 21, 7pm until completion
  • Rookie Promotions: Tuesday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (3): Tuesday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • List Lodgement 3*: Wednesday, November 22, 10am (optional; required for those participating in the PSD)
  • Pre-Season Draft: Wednesday, November 22, 3pm
  • Rookie Draft: Wednesday, November 22, 3.20pm
  • Final List Lodgement*: Thursday, November 23, 4pm
* List lodgement dates are yet to be made public, so are approximate based on past history and the requirements of the AFL Rules. When lists are lodged, the number of players on the list must not exceed maximum list sizes. At the same time, clubs must provide the AFL with estimates of total player payments in the current and following year, which must prove the club is not and will not exceed the salary cap. (AFL Rules 5.3, 6.1, 6.8, 7.2, 7.9)

Last edited:

Any talk of Warner or McDonald coming our way is just absurd, no way it happens. It’ll be a package built around the first rounder (kind of the whole point in us letting TB go). What you will be getting for sure is a genuine gun defender whose best footy will be unlocked by having other great players around him in addition to the ball not living at his end of the ground. Perfect replacement and upgrade for Paddy McCartin assuming he retires in my opinion

Any talk of Warner or McDonald coming our way is just absurd, no way it happens. It’ll be a package built around the first rounder (kind of the whole point in us letting TB go). What you will be getting for sure is a genuine gun defender whose best footy will be unlocked by having other great players around him in addition to the ball not living at his end of the ground. Perfect replacement and upgrade for Paddy McCartin assuming he retires in my opinion
Swans would want an arm and a leg for either. We have seen how much they value both.

On SM-A515F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Let's say swans are interested in both barrass and nortz. How does it get done ?

2023 first for barrass

2024 first +2024 2nd + 2023 first (if we can move our 2nd and hawks 2nd into the first round) for naughton
Tbh if it was up to me... every single damn pick not needed for Cleary that we can muster.

Barass to Sydney (depending on cost) makes sense from a Swans needs perspective.

But I struggle to see it making much sense for WCE and even less sense from Barrass' point of view.

Sure WCE will get in compensation (hopefully just draft picks) and get Barrass' salary off their books, but they are going to be retiring most of their big earners within the next couple of years and if they want money for 'new' recruits (English etc) then they could merely back end any contract.

WCE's 2023 leadership group is Shuey (cpt), Barrass & McGovern vice-captains.
IMO they have only 2 players that would guarantee a first rd pick (Allen & Barrass).

A rebuild needs a foundation and I'd argue WCE have the worst list in the AFL.
So trading out a guy who is potentially a future captain and one of their best two players seems to make no sense to me.

As for Barrass moving, he's well paid, he & his partner are both from WA, they've just had a new baby and he already has a Premiership Medal.
Why move?
Are we in a position to offer him more money/longer contract?
Certainly more likelihood of finals in Sydney than out West. But is that enough of a drawcard?
I mean we have the media suggesting Barrass having a sister living in Sydney could be a factor in a potential move. Seriously?

The media drums are beating and more and more it's almost being presented a fait accompli, but as I say I just don't understand how it makes sense from a Barrass/West Coast perspective, particularly as the Eagles could generate draft picks (for highly rated WA draftees) by splitting their #1 pick.

But if Barrass moving to Sydney does end up making us better and stuffing up WCE even more, well then who am I to complain. :)

Barass to Sydney (depending on cost) makes sense from a Swans needs perspective.

But I struggle to see it making much sense for WCE and even less sense from Barrass' point of view.

Sure WCE will get in compensation (hopefully just draft picks) and get Barrass' salary off their books, but they are going to be retiring most of their big earners within the next couple of years and if they want money for 'new' recruits (English etc) then they could merely back end any contract.

IMO they have only 2 players that would guarantee a first rd pick (Allen & Barrass).

So trading out a guy who is potentially a future captain and one of their best two players seems to make no sense to me.

As for Barrass moving, he's well paid, he & his partner are both from WA, they've just had a new baby and he already has a Premiership Medal.
Why move?
Certainly more likelihood of finals in Sydney than out West. But is that enough of a drawcard?
I mean we have the media suggesting Barrass having a sister living in Sydney could be a factor in a potential move. Seriously?

The media drums are beating and more and more it's almost being presented a fait accompli, but as I say I just don't understand how it makes sense from a Barrass/West Coast perspective, particularly as the Eagles could generate draft picks (for highly rated WA draftees) by splitting their #1 pick.

But if Barrass moving to Sydney does end up making us better and stuffing up WCE even more, well then who am I to complain. :)
Back in 2005 I moved to Malaysia for 2 years,then Germany for another 2 before retiring. There was a money element but it was mainly the challenge. Who knows what motivates people?

Back in 2005 I moved to Malaysia for 2 years,then Germany for another 2 before retiring. There was a money element but it was mainly the challenge. Who knows what motivates people?
Exactly. I have a couple of mates who have moved overseas for career opportunity and they have young kids.
Let’s not underestimate how bad things are at the Eagles. They will be down the bottom of the ladder for the next 3 years. I think the question is why wouldn’t he want to instigate a move to a competitive and well run club?
Maybe he wants to get out of the Perth fishbowl - who knows

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Barrass coming to Sydney - why wouldn’t he? Lived in Perth all his life and gets a chance to get paid good money to live somewhere else. Escape a floundering club and no concerns about ‘what if I leave and they win’. Imagine how frustrating it would be to be in the leadership group at WC. I know people discount the sister connection but she pops up on Sam Naismith’s instagram a lot (dating?) so he probably has a good idea of what he’s getting himself into at Sydney if he does come.

HSun latest - basically our 1st round pick would likely get Barrass deal done.

"Sydney would have to part with its first draft pick to land gun defender Tom Barrass from West Coast after years of strong interest in the backman.

The Swans are chasing a key defender and have set their sights on Barrass, 27, in a move which would cost John Longmire’s men their top pick (number seven as the ladder stands).

West Coast could even ask for another pick in the later rounds to complete the deal but the Swans will likely consider a top-10 selection enough for a 27-year-old."

HSun latest - basically our 1st round pick would likely get Barrass deal done.

"Sydney would have to part with its first draft pick to land gun defender Tom Barrass from West Coast after years of strong interest in the backman.

The Swans are chasing a key defender and have set their sights on Barrass, 27, in a move which would cost John Longmire’s men their top pick (number seven as the ladder stands).

West Coast could even ask for another pick in the later rounds to complete the deal but the Swans will likely consider a top-10 selection enough for a 27-year-old."
I'm not sure why we bother negotiating this. Why don't we simply let the journalists sort it out between themselves and then they can let the two clubs know what they will need to do to get it done?

Barrass coming to Sydney - why wouldn’t he? Lived in Perth all his life and gets a chance to get paid good money to live somewhere else. Escape a floundering club and no concerns about ‘what if I leave and they win’. Imagine how frustrating it would be to be in the leadership group at WC. I know people discount the sister connection but she pops up on Sam Naismith’s instagram a lot (dating?) so he probably has a good idea of what he’s getting himself into at Sydney if he does come.
Why wouldn't he?
  • Two young kids he may not want to take away from their grandparents and all the support, love etc that grandparents can offer (see Tom Hickey). Theres no Swans players with young kids except Reid and Hickey who both may not be around next year.
  • He may prefer to live in his new home that he owns rather than pay top dollar to live a rental of much less quality (See Tom Hickey)
  • Hes already on good money and has another 4 years on his contract.
  • Maybe hes on more money as hes part of the Eagles leadership group.
  • Maybe he would enjoy being a leader of a rebuild, and like a lot of Swans older players, feed off the energy of the young crew coming through
  • His sister keeps popping up on Naismiths Instagram.

There are plenty of reasons to stay.

Why move?

Yep, on the surface it makes very little sense from the Eagles or Barrass' perspective... Theres got to be more to this trade?!

The Swans have been and are asking questions of a lot of players - HH, TDK, Barrass, Naughton - and Im sure theres more. The Eagles as a club are about to go through massive changes on and off the field. Both clubs have a lot of draft capital and both Clubs seeming likely to be very active in the trade period.

So, what other players and clubs are involved? Naughton, English, any of the Swans WA brigade, Stephens, Mclean ???

Why move?

I think the salary part is underrated for the Eagles.

Barrass, 4 years at 750k (supposedly) is a bad contract for a guy who gets injured a lot and isn't a superstar.

We had a few weird aquisitions around that period. Brett Allison and Stephen Tingay were others. All on their last legs. 10 games combined out of the 3.

tingay the one that stunned me ... he was a really good player but from memory was a known crock when we signed him

"Complete rubbish"? Come on mate even you know that's not true and it's why one post later you've basically just said there's no way Stephens would get a game over him.

Warner is playing his role and no, he's not perfect at it. Why would he be at 22 years old? I think he's probably overrated at this point but it's also OK to just say that rather than completely dismissing the work and good footy he's put in this year.
The "complete rubbish" was in comparison to his play from a year earlier. And I stand by it 100%.
From a contested ball winning, break-away speed beast, to a $2 shop Chad Wingard.

I think Stephens is a guy that could be playing the kind of role Chad currently is and Chad should be doing what he did to get there in first place. Especially given Angus is out.

I mean is the proof not in our win/loss column from 4 rounds ago? It totally is.

As for not being good at it because he's "only 22" !? Christ on a bike, Alexander the Great had conquered half the known world by 20 etc etc I reckon Chad could manage to not stand still on the edge of a footy contest.

The "complete rubbish" was in comparison to his play from a year earlier. And I stand by it 100%.
From a contested ball winning, break-away speed beast, to a $2 shop Chad Wingard.

I think Stephens is a guy that could be playing the kind of role Chad currently is and Chad should be doing what he did to get there in first place. Especially given Angus is out.

I mean is the proof not in our win/loss column from 4 rounds ago? It totally is.

As for not being good at it because he's "only 22" !? Christ on a bike, Alexander the Great had conquered half the known world by 20 etc etc I reckon Chad could manage to not stand still on the edge of a footy contest.

Less $2 shop Chad Wingard, more Dylan Stephens and Alexander the Great!

You should post more often.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back