List Mgmt. 2023 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Key Trade & Draft Dates
Key Dates:

Trade Period, October 6–18
  • Restricted & Unrestricted Free Agency Period: Friday, October 6, 9am – Friday October 13, 5pm (bid matching ends Monday October 16, 5pm)
  • Trade Period (1), picks & players: Monday, October 9, 9am – Wednesday October 18, 7.30pm
Quiet Period, October 19–November 20
  • Trade Period (2), picks only: Monday, October 23, 9am – Friday November 10, 5pm
  • List Lodgement 1*: Tuesday, October 31, 2pm
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (1): Wednesday, November 1, 9am – Wednesday November 8, 5pm
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (2): Friday, November 10, 9am–5pm
  • List Lodgement 2*: Tuesday, November 14, 2pm
Draft Period, November 20–22
  • Round 1 of the National Draft: Monday, November 20, time and venue TBA
  • Trade Period (3), picks only: Tuesday, November 21, 5.45pm–6.30pm
  • Round 2–end of the National Draft: Tuesday, November 21, 7pm until completion
  • Rookie Promotions: Tuesday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (3): Tuesday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • List Lodgement 3*: Wednesday, November 22, 10am (optional; required for those participating in the PSD)
  • Pre-Season Draft: Wednesday, November 22, 3pm
  • Rookie Draft: Wednesday, November 22, 3.20pm
  • Final List Lodgement*: Thursday, November 23, 4pm
* List lodgement dates are yet to be made public, so are approximate based on past history and the requirements of the AFL Rules. When lists are lodged, the number of players on the list must not exceed maximum list sizes. At the same time, clubs must provide the AFL with estimates of total player payments in the current and following year, which must prove the club is not and will not exceed the salary cap. (AFL Rules 5.3, 6.1, 6.8, 7.2, 7.9)

Last edited:
I guarantee Reid goes around again. Boggles my mind that people are so sure he's gone.

If the rest got his body right and he signed 1 year at bugger all, I agree the club would taks him again , even as depth (I wouldn't)

So young and yet so cynical.

The John Longmire era of the Swans have not traded in anyone decent (better than c grade)

But thanks for calling me young

With McKay and Himmelberg why would we be chasing Barass for a much higher draft pick cost! Makes no sense to me.
Three B graders, all being hyped & likely to get big overs because a few clubs need talls.

Although I do acknowledge any of the three would strengthen our list and fill a need, I’m still of a view that DGB is our best option. He’ll be entering his prime years concurrent with our young guns.

Probably the AFL after a review into how we run our seaside recovery sessions.

On a serious note, Barrass isn't a long term solution. He'd be in to help us contend immediately, while these guys are still around, maybe a couple of years after.

As for Lloyd and Cunningham, we're taking steps in that regard. Rankin, Vickery, even Magor is being tried, possibly Cabor, are potential small/med defenders (Cunners) or half backs (Lloyd). Unfortunately not sure we're getting anyone with the tank of Lloyd. Had hoped Stephens, but his composure isn't good enough.
I still think Stephens composure will come. It increasingly improved last year.

Three B graders, all being hyped & likely to get big overs because a few clubs need talls.

Although I do acknowledge any of the three would strengthen our list and fill a need, I’m still of a view that DGB is our best option. He’ll be entering his prime years concurrent with our young guns.
I liked his junior profile too, string bean but good intercept marker.

I know his body's not even cold yet, but I do feel for Stephens and fear for what his future in footy is. It can't be a good feeling to have gone from the highest of highs being drafted as a top pick, rated by so many, to suddenly feeling like everything in your career is just up against it. Right now he must be so uncertain about his future.

But I also feel like the way he's spoken about by some Swans fans (not just on here) is a bit distasteful. This is a kid who rejected offers from other clubs to show loyalty to us and to fight his way into our best 22. It obviously hasn't panned out the way he'd hoped and that's potentially going to have devastating consequences for his career, but if nothing else we should at least respect him for wanting to be a Swan and showing the courage to not take the easy way out.

I know his body's not even cold yet, but I do feel for Stephens and fear for what his future in footy is. It can't be a good feeling to have gone from the highest of highs being drafted as a top pick, rated by so many, to suddenly feeling like everything in your career is just up against it. Right now he must be so uncertain about his future.

But I also feel like the way he's spoken about by some Swans fans (not just on here) is a bit distasteful. This is a kid who rejected offers from other clubs to show loyalty to us and to fight his way into our best 22. It obviously hasn't panned out the way he'd hoped and that's potentially going to have devastating consequences for his career, but if nothing else we should at least respect him for wanting to be a Swan and showing the courage to not take the easy way out.
I still think he'll become a pretty good player in the fullness of time too. Either here or elsewhere. But it's just going to be a very slow burn for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still think he'll become a pretty good player in the fullness of time too. Either here or elsewhere. But it's just going to be a very slow burn for him.
I thought he was going to be a slow burn at some point last year, but he's tapered off this season. Not sure he'll be anything more than depth to be honest

I find the criticism of Rowbottom really perplexing. Often seems to be the busiest player on the field. Averaging:

18 disposals (10 contested)
5 clearances
8 tackles

Seems productive to me.
If he made half the amount of tackles and average 10 more disposals a game we'd be top 4

Not blaming Rowbottom specifically, just we would finally have a dominant mid

I feel like I've said my piece of Stephens previously. But I rather enjoy repeating myself. If his kicking improved by 10% and he was more willing to take a risk he'd be lauded here. Gulden takes risks and flat out misses targets every single game and the ball gets turnover and a goal is scored against us. But we take it because he does create a few more than he concedes. Stephens gets to the right position and creates space but he often ends up just bombing it down the line partly because he misses the 45 degree kick that gulden takes and makes more oftne than not. Stephens misses that more often than he makes it.

He has a lot of good attributes but the two that are fundamental to be a winger are elite kicking and elite evasiveness or speed. He doesnt have either. He has a phenomenal work rate but while florent and blakey can make you miss a tackle stephens rarely does.

To be honest its not stephens that deserves the criticism - its the club. He works hard repeatedly - including in the ressies. Hes not shrking it. Hes not beating up girlfriends or doing lines (so far as I am aware). If he'd been pick 25 no one would say a word about him. He's precisely the reason why once you start playing against adults the number you get drafted at becomes unimportant.

The John Longmire era of the Swans have not traded in anyone decent (better than c grade)

But thanks for calling me young

Who did we trade in who was rated as better than C grade when we got them under Roos?

I'd say we've recruited pretty well from other clubs under Horse..

I feel like I've said my piece of Stephens previously. But I rather enjoy repeating myself. If his kicking improved by 10% and he was more willing to take a risk he'd be lauded here. Gulden takes risks and flat out misses targets every single game and the ball gets turnover and a goal is scored against us. But we take it because he does create a few more than he concedes. Stephens gets to the right position and creates space but he often ends up just bombing it down the line partly because he misses the 45 degree kick that gulden takes and makes more oftne than not. Stephens misses that more often than he makes it.

He has a lot of good attributes but the two that are fundamental to be a winger are elite kicking and elite evasiveness or speed. He doesnt have either. He has a phenomenal work rate but while florent and blakey can make you miss a tackle stephens rarely does.

To be honest its not stephens that deserves the criticism - its the club. He works hard repeatedly - including in the ressies. Hes not shrking it. Hes not beating up girlfriends or doing lines (so far as I am aware). If he'd been pick 25 no one would say a word about him. He's precisely the reason why once you start playing against adults the number you get drafted at becomes unimportant.
All of that may be true, but I suspect if you asked Stephens himself, he'd maybe have the same self-assessment as you. I think he sees himself as an inside mid but his best chance of making it with us is as a wingman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back