List Mgmt. 2023 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Key Trade & Draft Dates
Key Dates:

Trade Period, October 6–18
  • Restricted & Unrestricted Free Agency Period: Friday, October 6, 9am – Friday October 13, 5pm (bid matching ends Monday October 16, 5pm)
  • Trade Period (1), picks & players: Monday, October 9, 9am – Wednesday October 18, 7.30pm
Quiet Period, October 19–November 20
  • Trade Period (2), picks only: Monday, October 23, 9am – Friday November 10, 5pm
  • List Lodgement 1*: Tuesday, October 31, 2pm
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (1): Wednesday, November 1, 9am – Wednesday November 8, 5pm
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (2): Friday, November 10, 9am–5pm
  • List Lodgement 2*: Tuesday, November 14, 2pm
Draft Period, November 20–22
  • Round 1 of the National Draft: Monday, November 20, time and venue TBA
  • Trade Period (3), picks only: Tuesday, November 21, 5.45pm–6.30pm
  • Round 2–end of the National Draft: Tuesday, November 21, 7pm until completion
  • Rookie Promotions: Tuesday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (3): Tuesday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • List Lodgement 3*: Wednesday, November 22, 10am (optional; required for those participating in the PSD)
  • Pre-Season Draft: Wednesday, November 22, 3pm
  • Rookie Draft: Wednesday, November 22, 3.20pm
  • Final List Lodgement*: Thursday, November 23, 4pm
* List lodgement dates are yet to be made public, so are approximate based on past history and the requirements of the AFL Rules. When lists are lodged, the number of players on the list must not exceed maximum list sizes. At the same time, clubs must provide the AFL with estimates of total player payments in the current and following year, which must prove the club is not and will not exceed the salary cap. (AFL Rules 5.3, 6.1, 6.8, 7.2, 7.9)

Last edited:
A few thoughts that no one asked for...

- I think I've made my thoughts on Parker well known so not gonna get into that. I think he deserves better than to be shafted for someone no faster or more skilful than he is simply because he's been average in a handful of games. Even his staunchest critics would surely have to acknowledge that he doesn't look 100% fit. He's playing like someone who is sore. There were a few times today I caught him just contorting his face in discomfort as soon as he was tackled. Luke Parker just doesn't do that.

- Looking at our midfield, I still don't actually know who people think we'd bring in who is supposedly better than what we have. Mills has been an AA mid, now granted he's far from that this year, he doesn't look to be moving all that great either, but his AA is more relevant to the present day than, say, Crouch's. Warner and Gulden are crowd favourites for a reason (though Warner gives me the shits a bit personally). Rowbottom went toe to toe with the best of the best last year and was the key in getting us to a GF. Yet as a collective they can't make it work. What makes anyone think Crouch or Worpel or whoever else people supposedly want will make any difference to that?

- Watching Hickey and his obsession with taking the ball out of the ruck rather than using his mids, I thought to myself, "And people want Grundy?" And watching Grundy tonight against Carlton, I thought to myself, "And people want GRUNDY?" He ain't the answer IMO. I feel like we'd benefit far more from a standard tap type ruck who can just put it to our talented mids' advantage more often, rather than a ruckman who wants to be one of the mids but is just a big clumsy dinosaur. (Obviously such players aren't easy to come by.)

Just my take. Enjoy reading everyone's opinions, especially on the midfield which I find incredibly stressful LOL
No mid we can possibly get in is going to be half the player Sheldrick will be IMO - obviously injury recovery depending.
Between he, Mills, Warner, Roberts, Stephens and Gulden, we don't want for much as far as mids go over the next few years. Maybe a Bont/Goodes/Blicavs sized option...

Hopefully Sheldrick becomes the big clearance difference maker for us. I certainly don't see the need to bring in a Worpel or Crouch on big-ish money when Sheldrick is an obvious solution still on rookie contract money.

BOG! lol. I gave you grace when Florent was worst on ground on the weekend and dreadful last week too.
I don't think Florent was worst on ground on Saturday, he wasn't at his best but definitely not the worst.

But then I like Nickelback so what do I know 🤷

nah the luke parker who shits the bed in every grand final he plays:p

He has had some good games this year for sure, stood up against the kangas . But Gulden has kept our season alive more than him

Anyway regardless not here to s**t on him, just his best is done and he won't ever be worth anymore so it's an idea.

All this thread is about is trade guns in, but then anyone suggested for trade is hands off.

Parker's been loyal absolutely and well paid and rewarded for it.

You can only trade someone who has value he has high value and won't ever be as good as he has been that's all I am saying , pure business. His work in the centre bounces etc is overrated by the coaching team, his clearances are often to the detriment of the team imo

I thought you were joking about trading Parker while he still has value. You should have been. As far as I'm concerned, it is a joke to suggest that.

Parker is our captain and also, with Rampe, our spiritual leader. His value to us far outweighs whatever return he might garner at the trade table. He remains a great player, especially when the pressure is on and in finals. But his value in instilling Bloods culture and also leading/directing/guding all the young players around him is inestimable. I reckon he's still got two seasons in him, possibly more. And even if he doesn't, absolutely NO WAY do we trade him. I would be disgusted with the club unless it was his idea.

With Ethan Read almost a certainty to go to GC Suns and Witts likely to be their number 1 ruck for at least a couple more years, we should make enquiries about Ned Moyle. He smashed Stretch and Ladhams yesterday and would be a walk up starter to our AFL team. If he stays at GC, he is destined to play as Witts backup, then potentially be overtaken by Read. He's 21 and ready to play regular AFL, which he will get with us.

Absolutely, I've been saying this for a while. But I'm not sure Gold Coast will be ready to let him go, and he's contracted. Might be more gettable next year but we may have gone down a different path by then. Then again, how much are you willing to pay for Moyle? Our first would probably get it done, maybe Hawks' second rounder - but are you willing to pay that much? I don't know that I am.

I thought you were joking about trading Parker while he still has value. You should have been. As far as I'm concerned, it is a joke to suggest that.

Parker is our captain and also, with Rampe, our spiritual leader. His value to us far outweighs whatever return he might garner at the trade table. He remains a great player, especially when the pressure is on and in finals. But his value in instilling Bloods culture and also leading/directing/guding all the young players around him is inestimable. I reckon he's still got two seasons in him, possibly more. And even if he doesn't, absolutely NO WAY do we trade him. I would be disgusted with the club unless it was his idea.

Parker's captaincy is overrated

I hope he is good off field, because on field we struggle for leadership

He is a good player absolutely and would take a great deal, but it's a a business too.

I mean you even said he is great in finals and big moments, that's his big flaw, he isn't, didn't offer anything in 14,16 or 22 and when the chips are down in a big game he hack kicks it to the opposition so often or handballs to danger .

Now that's not to s**t on him it's to say he isn't this all time superstar and if again we got a great deal (which we won't ) then we should take it and he would have had to agree anyway

I know he is held up on here by most as a superstar. I disagree he is , I like him but he is overrated amongst many swans fans imo

Parker's captaincy is overrated

I hope he is good off field, because on field we struggle for leadership

He is a good player absolutely and would take a great deal, but it's a a business too.

I mean you even said he is great in finals and big moments, that's his big flaw, he isn't, didn't offer anything in 14,16 or 22 and when the chips are down in a big game he hack kicks it to the opposition so often or handballs to danger .

Now that's not to s**t on him it's to say he isn't this all time superstar and if again we got a great deal (which we won't ) then we should take it and he would have had to agree anyway

I know he is held up on here by most as a superstar. I disagree he is , I like him but he is overrated amongst many swans fans imo
I'm with you on Parker as you know. I just don't think we should trade him. He's captain and a player we've backed in now. I would've done it in 2021 and kept Hewett instead.

runs and hides

I'm with you on Parker as you know. I just don't think we should trade him. He's captain and a player we've backed in now. I would've done it in 2021 and kept Hewett instead.

runs and hides

Hey look before i'm pitchforked it's just a suggestion based on

a- he has to want to go

b- we get offered a wonderful deal from some team desperate enough to pay for someone whos best is most likely gone

it won't ever happen and I am also fine with it, but this is a hypothetical thread

runs and hides

I don't agree we should have traded Parker in 2021 but it would have made more sense then when he was worth something than doing it now.

Parker barring serious injury has 2 years of leave it all out there, crash and bash best 22 football left in him with where this list's midfield status is at.
Current Parker and leading into next year should not attend center bounces anymore. Watching the game on replay again last night he simply does not have the reaction time speed and ball in dispute on the ground gets left in opposition wake. Was left floundering laying on the SCG Turf more than once while GC Mid romped away with our other mids chasing arse. Does this mean he should be banished forward and not attend stoppages ? Not on your ****ing life. Still the only player I would trust in this side to clear the ball from a contest with 20 seconds left on the clock in a do or die effort. Hack kicked or not. Will Sheldrick, Warner & Co become this player ? Lets hope so but for now you don't trade him and that will see out his days. I've been a critic of his at times of the hack it forward blind kick but for hardness, spirit and true blood does not have many peers currently. Get him forward more often as many have suggested but trade ? Please ! Is his value going to get you a piece that is missing to win a flag currently ? Or pick up a young superstar that is going to change the course of the Franchise as they say in the NBA ? Very Unlikely. So we get the best out of a great Bloods warrior while he can still stand and then send him off in to the sunset.

Absolutely, I've been saying this for a while. But I'm not sure Gold Coast will be ready to let him go, and he's contracted. Might be more gettable next year but we may have gone down a different path by then. Then again, how much are you willing to pay for Moyle? Our first would probably get it done, maybe Hawks' second rounder - but are you willing to pay that much? I don't know that I am.
I haven't been following Moyle closely but he looked a class above Stretch and Ladhams (and Hickey for that matter) on Saturday. If our recruiters rated him (or any other ruck eg Bryan, Sweet etc), then a second rounder +/- further late round picks wouldn't be too much. It's becoming very very clear we have a massive hole in the ruck.

I don't think Florent was worst on ground on Saturday, he wasn't at his best but definitely not the worst.

But then I like Nickelback so what do I know 🤷

First you cheat on me (with the The King! of all people).

Then you go and say you like nickelback.

broken heart GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

runs and hides
At the time it sounded like we were trying to accomodate Dawson and also satisy Parker in his extension, then rumoured to be 4 years at $700k+. I was openly saying that we should offer Parker 3 years, or a bit less over 4, and try to find the money to retain Hewett.

Maybe the Hewett discussions at Carlton were too far gone by the time Dawson requested a trade (otherwise we had the money, so no excuses), but I'd hate to think we lost Hewett because we had to add some extra or an extra year to satisfy Parker.

I literally created a Spotify playlist called CreedBack to jam out to 2 of the greatest 2000's buttrock bands driving along with the windows down. Might even have some Staind in there too...

There are dozens of us. Dozens!

At the time it sounded like we were trying to accomodate Dawson and also satisy Parker in his extension, then rumoured to be 4 years at $700k+. I was openly saying that we should offer Parker 3 years, or a bit less over 4, and try to find the money to retain Hewett.

Maybe the Hewett discussions at Carlton were too far gone by the time Dawson requested a trade (otherwise we had the money, so no excuses), but I'd hate to think we lost Hewett because we had to add some extra or an extra year to satisfy Parker.
I still have no issue whatsoever with the club losing him. I 100% blame Horse for making that an inevitability.

I literally created a Spotify playlist called CreedBack to jam out to 2 of the greatest 2000's buttrock bands driving along with the windows down. Might even have some Staind in there too...

There are dozens of us. Dozens!
Gonna get myself in trouble again here and say that With Arms Wide Open... great song.

Paddy McCartin has retired :(

a sad day, mostly for him ... no surprise, though
i really would like to see him stay with the club in some kind of coaching or mentoring role
stick with his brother
his was a brilliant story last season, and i'm proud of the club for supporting him back to football .. and getting him to a grand final with his brother
it's probably the one thing about the fckng horrible day that's worth remembering and celebrating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back