List Mgmt. 2023 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Key Trade & Draft Dates
Key Dates:

Trade Period, October 6–18
  • Restricted & Unrestricted Free Agency Period: Friday, October 6, 9am – Friday October 13, 5pm (bid matching ends Monday October 16, 5pm)
  • Trade Period (1), picks & players: Monday, October 9, 9am – Wednesday October 18, 7.30pm
Quiet Period, October 19–November 20
  • Trade Period (2), picks only: Monday, October 23, 9am – Friday November 10, 5pm
  • List Lodgement 1*: Tuesday, October 31, 2pm
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (1): Wednesday, November 1, 9am – Wednesday November 8, 5pm
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (2): Friday, November 10, 9am–5pm
  • List Lodgement 2*: Tuesday, November 14, 2pm
Draft Period, November 20–22
  • Round 1 of the National Draft: Monday, November 20, time and venue TBA
  • Trade Period (3), picks only: Tuesday, November 21, 5.45pm–6.30pm
  • Round 2–end of the National Draft: Tuesday, November 21, 7pm until completion
  • Rookie Promotions: Tuesday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (3): Tuesday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • List Lodgement 3*: Wednesday, November 22, 10am (optional; required for those participating in the PSD)
  • Pre-Season Draft: Wednesday, November 22, 3pm
  • Rookie Draft: Wednesday, November 22, 3.20pm
  • Final List Lodgement*: Thursday, November 23, 4pm
* List lodgement dates are yet to be made public, so are approximate based on past history and the requirements of the AFL Rules. When lists are lodged, the number of players on the list must not exceed maximum list sizes. At the same time, clubs must provide the AFL with estimates of total player payments in the current and following year, which must prove the club is not and will not exceed the salary cap. (AFL Rules 5.3, 6.1, 6.8, 7.2, 7.9)

Last edited:
You mean the bloke that wants to go to St Kilda so wasn't ever an option for us? That Paddy Dow?
Ji mean the bloke we lost interest in last week who was keen for Sydney but settled for vast Kilda.

Well that's different to what has been widely report across many platforms, which indicated he showed little interest in leaving Victoria.
Fox sports? Article last week suggested we lost interest. It was definately reported that way. Reported a number of times Sydney’s interest did not evolve, Sydney’s interest dimmed…we definately withdrew from Dow.

Really like what you guys are doing this year. Inspiring list management.

Hoping it pays off next year as I've always liked the Swans and love Errol and the Lizard.

Florent an old neighbour of my long time best mate too, sucked at Cricket when we were 11 the campaigner.
“Really like what you guys are doing this year. Inspiring list management.”

LMAO, if our list management pop in here for ideas and inspiration, we are truly in deep sh1t 🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤣

No chance of getting pick 4 and why would we try to trade up from 11 to 10? I think we are more of a chance to trade for pick 7 from the cats.
I was thinking, in a world we have Collingwood's first pick we offer all 3 first picks for the Suns pick 4. 11, 23 & 18 would be better than anything else they would likely be offered

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Posted that 3 hours ago lol

Do you know he got injured
Yes.

And I hope he overcomes that and he can then become the player he looked like he was going to be.

Similarly Heeney is always playing gimped. Doesn't change anything with how I feel about him. Ditto Mills, toss in Parker.

Get paid big bucks - then perform.

We need those first 2 in particular to reach their potential and be consistent as hell.

Both of them playing at potential will be awesome. I don't give a s**t how it happens, not get injured fine, just do it.

Sure, but I'd be more comfortable if they were like 27 or something. At least we could count on them for a few years. 30 tends to be the beginning of the end for most AFL footballers. Very few improve at that age.

Mid to late 20's is a problem age for us. That's the type that would want 4 or 5 year deals and block progression of our younger players. If we believe in our drafting, this is the right move

Paul Roos was the instigator of moneyball selections as he termed them from an AFL perspective. He was very much into the NBA where the term is used regularly. He looked at the likes of Kennedy, McGlynn, Mattner, Richards & a few others who simply weren't being utilised at their clubs but he saw their potential to be far better than what they were currently showing.
It's getting very good people into your club at minimum cost.
That's not moneyball.

It's instead of a KPF who kicks 70 goals a season and say averages 20 disposals and 8 marks for 1mil p/y.
Replacing them with 2 ĶPF's who kick 35 goals and average 10 disposals and 4 marks but are on 250k p/y.

Has nothing to do with finding value as such or under utilised gun players.

Paul Roos was the instigator of moneyball selections as he termed them from an AFL perspective. He was very much into the NBA where the term is used regularly. He looked at the likes of Kennedy, McGlynn, Mattner, Richards & a few others who simply weren't being utilised at their clubs but he saw their potential to be far better than what they were currently showing.
It's getting very good people into your club at minimum cost.

Paul Roos was in charge of recruitment?

Kennedy and Mcglynn and Mattner actually had all shown they were good, just had opportunities for them

Ted was salvaged more.

Kennedy we gave a multi year deal instead of the hawks 1 for instance, its not picking the scrap bin

That was when we got Brand, Gray, Taylor, Chambers etc

If the rumoured $1.1m salary next year is true.. we will likely have to give up one of our best 15 players (this year or next)

Think we can do better
That won't be happening SG. At worst, we will lose pick 23 and if losing that pick gives us a real chance at winning a flag, I'm all in.
With the inclusions this year I believe we should be almost equal flag favourite.

From this list reported a while ago in the HSun, something I had completely forgotten about is that Ramps' $900k is off the books now his old contract is finished - not sure what he'd be on under the new deal for '24/25?

Isaac Heeney $850,000-$950,000
Dane Rampe $800,000-$900,000
Callum Mills $700,000-$800,000
Tom McCartin $650,000-$750,000
Luke Parker $650,000-$750,000
Lance Franklin $550,000-$650,000

Buddy's money is also out now as well ($650k)

At best guess, that'd be say $400/500k from Ramps' 2023 salary, and Buddy's $600/650k - that's around $1m+ already.

Adams was reported in same article as $600,000-$700,000 this year, so if say $200k was moved to 2024, that'd be up to $800/900k.

Just a bit of guesswork.

From this list reported a while ago in the HSun, something I had completely forgotten about is that Ramps' $900k is off the books now his old contract is finished - not sure what he'd be on under the new deal for '24/25?

Isaac Heeney $850,000-$950,000
Dane Rampe $800,000-$900,000
Callum Mills $700,000-$800,000
Tom McCartin $650,000-$750,000
Luke Parker $650,000-$750,000
Lance Franklin $550,000-$650,000

Buddy's money is also out now as well ($650k)

At best guess, that'd be say $400/500k from Ramps' 2023 salary, and Buddy's $600/650k - that's around $1m+ already.

Adams was reported in same article as $600,000-$700,000 this year, so if say $200k was moved to 2024, that'd be up to $800/900k.

Just a bit of guesswork.

Blakey in there now

I was thinking, in a world we have Collingwood's first pick we offer all 3 first picks for the Suns pick 4. 11, 23 & 18 would be better than anything else they would likely be offered
I can't think on any level we will be getting their first round pick. Even if by some lunacy we offered to absorb Grundy's contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back