Mega Thread Adam Goodes (Trolls will be carded - read OP!)

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure, wasn't articulated. Just guessing from the conversation but think it was his 'Preachy' or some such. Can be kind of justified for a little boo, but the extent and ferocity of it bespeaks of something different IMO.

Personally feel it is the message which irks and makes people uncomfortable and irrate
From someone who lives outside Victoria it seems the man who helped fire this situation has been rather quiet this week. Melbourne based supporters is this correct, has Eddie made any comments I'm not aware of?

Had a good chat to a few opposition supporters on the issue at work.

The sentiment was, essentially, they boo goodes because they think he is a ******.

However, I feel this is a superficial analysis of why there is booing of Goodes specifically. The next question is 'why do you think he is a ******', followed by 'its the way he talks'.

Personally I don't buy that. Sure, you can think someone is a ****** but the actions demonstrated by the general footballing community seem to have much deeper.

It is a shame that he has become so divisive instead of fostering a dialogue about the indigenous community and social issues attached.

Irony is, most people use his activism on the issue to then state it is 'all about him'.
Please ask them, if Goodes is a ******* merely for his demeanour, what word do they use to describe a footballer who bashed a man so viciously that he was left with permanent brain damage?

The girl does deserve an apology, but from the media rather than Goodes.

Goodes reacted in an understandably emotional way to what he perceived as racism.

It was outrageous for the media to splash the girl over live TV and the front of newspapers.

The gentleman that he is - he made that point himself. Yet he is a "sook" and a "flog" - they can GAGF

Do hope Goodes plays again soon. This whole situation is a farce and should not be rammed by the media down our throats constantly. They are part of the problem the media.

Lindsay Gaze was on SEN this morning and Tim Watson asked him what advice he would give Goodesy - he said "you are too much of a champion to let them win. History will vindicate you and damn the people who are booing you"

Not sure how to quote but I hope this is right. The NRL is leading a player tribute.

Source: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1227462294806

JOHNATHAN Thurston will perform a traditional Aboriginal war dance this weekend as NRL superstars rally to support embattled Sydney Swan Adam Goodes.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal some of league’s top indigenous athletes, including Thurston and South Sydney skipper Greg Inglis, are planning indigenous dances as the controversy surrounding Goodes splits a nation.

And supporting the move is rugby league’s top Aboriginal official, ARL Indigenous Council chair Linda Burney.

Speaking on Wednesday, Burney labelled the Goodes booing furore “bloody ugly” and urged NRL players of all colours to “shake a leg” in support of the 2014 Australian of the Year.

Thurston, for one, is in.

Last edited by a moderator:

Seems the Hawks wanted to wear their indigenous jumper as well but were stopped because of the clash by the AFL. Like to see some of their fans get their heads around that.

I'll say it...seriously AFL. Get them to wear black socks or something. That eliminates the 'clash'. This idea that there are clash jumpers is so annoying. Who can't tell the difference between a Richmond and a Hawthorn one?

Seems the Hawks wanted to wear their indigenous jumper as well but were stopped because of the clash by the AFL. Like to see some of their fans get their heads around that.

That is a shame. I would have loved to see us wear the Indigenous Guernsey. Hopefully other clubs that can follow suit.

Adam Goodes needs to know there are a lot of people that support him.

Last edited:
The girl does deserve an apology, but from the media rather than Goodes.

Goodes reacted in an understandably emotional way to what he perceived as racism.

It was outrageous for the media to splash the girl over live TV and the front of newspapers.
And her parents/guardians allowed it as well. The media should have blurred her face for her own welfare.

I'll say it...seriously AFL. Get them to wear black socks or something. That eliminates the 'clash'. This idea that there are clash jumpers is so annoying. Who can't tell the difference between a Richmond and a Hawthorn one?

Richmond's is solid black and Hawthorn's is solid brown - that is a huge clash regardless of motive

It seems to me, from afar, that Goodes's detractors have just ran out of excuses to boo him.
You know who should we point our anger to? That girl's mother. It ALL stems from HER, not Adam. Seems like a stretch, but you know what? If she did not educate her daughter enough to not call people of darker skin "apes" then, no one would not be in this situation they're in. If the mother thinks there an apology to be made, then she should look in the mirror.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond's is solid black and Hawthorn's is solid brown - that is a huge clash regardless of motive

Agree to disagree. I don't feel it is a clash and it is just one game, I'm sure the umpires will manage. Wear white socks or white shorts. That said, decision is made no point arguing. At least it shows a positive intention from Hawthorn and that is the main point.

tigers stand by goodes as do most of the players in the comp its only a small gesture of wearing our indigenous jumper but its something only regret is titch Edwards wont be out there to wear it
Your playing group have done the club of the great Jack Dyer proud. The did a great thing.

A bit of open-mindedness to other peoples' opinions and a willingness to challenge (not necessaryily change) your own view would go a long way for a lot of people currently mired in this debate.

When one extreme side of the debate is Andrew Pridham (amongst many others) saying "If you're booing Adam Goodes I've got bad news for you, you're a racist" and the other side is Alan Jones (amongst many others) saying things like "...(Goodes) tells us that we’re all racists. Every time he speaks, Australia is a racist nation", you know that the middle ground has been lost on this issue. Black and white rather than shades of grey. That suits mainstream journalism because they profit off all this tremendously. They can print story after story claiming to be getting to the heart of this issue and pitting commentators like Richards Hinds and Miranda Devine against each other in a supposed battle of the minds.

I don't agree with absolutely everything written by the person who writes on the Black Steam Train blog, but he provides a unique take on this issue that nobody in the media has thus far. To call him an Uncle Tom is lacking in a lot of the repect you might demand others show Goodes. He's discussing casual racism and overt racism that is so at the heart of this issue, just not from the perspective anyone else in the media is experienced enough or willing enough to talk about.
He or she has a bizarre interpretation. This is not new. Indigenous Australians are as diverse in their responses to racism as whites. Where is Tony Abbot's favourite man of colour Warren Mundine at the moment? Johnathon Thurston has an entirely different response. Just watch.

He or she has a bizarre interpretation. This is not new. Indigenous Australians are as diverse in their responses to racism as whites. Where is Tony Abbot's favourite man of colour Warren Mundine at the moment? Johnathon Thurston has an entirely different response. Just watch.

Warren Mundine supports Goodes :

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...r-solidarity-on-the-afl-field-20150729-gim2k0

And Thurston and Ingliss will do the war dance when they score a try this weekend.

Hey guys, I feel emotionally invested enough to come here and post.

First of all I am so proud of my club for getting on the front foot for other clubs to follow. My club has improved off fiend and on field and this is just another sign to me that we have turned the corner.

With the above out of the way, I have to say in all honesty I have booed Goodes, In my defense it was last year, in the last game we played against you, and it was for the dive in the second quarter. At the time I felt nothing off it, as it was no like I boo'ed every possession he has etc BUT I cant help feel ashamed by it today. Simply due to what we are witnessing now, is simply Vilification at best or down right Racism. In any form, vilification/bullying should be stamped out in all forms.

What changed my view was simply watching the WC game with my sons, have 4 boys from teenage years to 4 years old. My 8 year old started boo'ing goodes and when I asked him why?, he said "cause everyone is doing it and you did it at the sydney game last year". That forced me to turn the TV off and have a good conversation with the 4 of them, let me just say it opened my eyes.

No person should feel its a right to victimize someone doing there job, even if that job is on the footy field.

Anyway, sorry about rambling nature of my post. I really hope Adam continues playing AFL as the game needs its characters and would be poorer without him.

He deserves more.

Hey guys, I feel emotionally invested enough to come here and post.

First of all I am so proud of my club for getting on the front foot for other clubs to follow. My club has improved off fiend and on field and this is just another sign to me that we have turned the corner.

With the above out of the way, I have to say in all honesty I have booed Goodes, In my defense it was last year, in the last game we played against you, and it was for the dive in the second quarter. At the time I felt nothing off it, as it was no like I boo'ed every possession he has etc BUT I cant help feel ashamed by it today. Simply due to what we are witnessing now, is simply Vilification at best or down right Racism. In any form, vilification/bullying should be stamped out in all forms.

What changed my view was simply watching the WC game with my sons, have 4 boys from teenage years to 4 years old. My 8 year old started boo'ing goodes and when I asked him why?, he said "cause everyone is doing it and you did it at the sydney game last year". That forced me to turn the TV off and have a good conversation with the 4 of them, let me just say it opened my eyes.

No person should feel its a right to victimize someone doing there job, even if that job is on the footy field.

Anyway, sorry about rambling nature of my post. I really hope Adam continues playing AFL as the game needs its characters and would be poorer without him.

He deserves more.

Nice post. Hope you beat the Hawks tomorrow.

Wow.... some people on bf are pathetic. Just questioned a few people on the mb and they said they were booing goodes because they thought a free kick should have been paid against him. When i asked if they booed every other player that benefitted from the umps, the excuse turned into "i boo him because he won a premiership against us in 05"

Incredible

Wow.... some people on bf are pathetic. Just questioned a few people on the mb and they said they were booing goodes because they thought a free kick should have been paid against him. When i asked if they booed every other player that benefitted from the umps, the excuse turned into "i boo him because he won a premiership against us in 05"

Incredible
joke really, I try to stay clear from the MB as it really gets me going reading some crap people say.

Not sure how to quote but I hope this is right. The NRL is leading a player tribute.

Source: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1227462294806

JOHNATHAN Thurston will perform a traditional Aboriginal war dance this weekend as NRL superstars rally to support embattled Sydney Swan Adam Goodes.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal some of league’s top indigenous athletes, including Thurston and South Sydney skipper Greg Inglis, are planning indigenous dances as the controversy surrounding Goodes splits a nation.

And supporting the move is rugby league’s top Aboriginal official, ARL Indigenous Council chair Linda Burney.

Speaking on Wednesday, Burney labelled the Goodes booing furore “bloody ugly” and urged NRL players of all colours to “shake a leg” in support of the 2014 Australian of the Year.

Thurston, for one, is in.
If the crowd boos Thurston it will say a lot about this entire situation and prove a lot about the so called reasons why Goodes is booed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back