Traded Adam Treloar [traded w/ #28 to Collingwood for #7, #65, 2016 first rounder]

Remove this Banner Ad

How. Carlton think they're getting him. We are happy to be taking your two first rounders.
If Tomlinson genuinely wanted to come to us I'd be more than happy to give up two firsts and a second rounder. Seems fair if Treloar and a second is worth our two firsts.

Also, Carlton think their getting half your list for a second round pick. Kudos to them if they can scam you guys that badly.

Others get an opportunity, we get well compensated. If it was for some crappy end of first rounders it would be another story...
You're playing for the finals in 2016 and an 18 year old will need to fill Treloar's contribution and you might lose him for nothing?

I can't see how a chance to keep a top level talent is a loss for a club.

What I read in that is the player's manager is complaining that his player didn't get offered more cash. GWS has to manage an entire list, not just cater to Adam. I don't think the Giants chose to lose Adam, I think Adam decided that earning the same as Shiel wasn't sufficient and hence packed his bags.

Looking at the quotes:

"We had an offer on the table from GWS which we thought was inadequate, we told them we thought it was inadequate, we gave them another number which I think was more than fair and reasonable which he'd be happy to accept."

GWS offered what they could afford, Adam/Blucher wanted more.

"(Adam) would have signed for two years on the spot (but) there was no movement (from the club) so when we realised there was going to be no movement we had an obligation to seek some alternatives."

GWS offered what they could afford, Adam/Blucher wanted more.

"We think that what they're (Collingwood) intending to offer is more than fair and reasonable for a player who obviously wasn't a priority for GWS."

Saying Adam wasn't a priority is a bit of a joke. GWS offered what they could afford, Adam/Blucher wanted more. Maybe he'd rather GWS had forced out a Shiel or a Coniglio instead of treating them all consistently and fairly?

"At the end of the day there was a whole bunch of players who were out of contract and one by one they picked them off through the course of the year."

Because the various players signed the offers put to them. By the sounds of his first comment, Adam had a contract offer from very early on.

"They signed them without coming to Adam with what we thought was anything like a fair and reasonable number and that’s their prerogative."

And we're back to GWS offering what they could afford, Adam/Blucher wanted more.

Like I said, it's just my own little conspiracy theory, and I'm not saying this proves it, just that it's fitting with what I think has happened behind the scenes.

The fact that GWS made one offer to Treloar, had it knocked back, and then didn't really do anything about it from that point on, suggests to me that - as his manager says - they didn't really prioritise signing him.

Most managers of elite knock back a first offer and get another, and another, in this case it sounds like they knocked back an offer and didn't get another one, which again leads me to believe the Giants essentially intended to lose Treloar.

Wasn't Treloar a Carlton supporter growing up? Might change his mind now that Carlton want him.

Carlton also have more to give to GWS then Collingwood.

If Collingwood manage to get Treloar, then Aish will probably head to Carlton. If they get Aish, Treloar might go to Carlton.

If neither, then Carlton will at least force Collingwood to pay up

Not when team harmony is more important

Review this in light with the current predicament with McCarthy. Player does not want to be at your club and manager stated that he will not be at the end of his contract, does not equate to a committed worker. That affect harmony.

I recon professional athletes would not care if Treloar stayed back for more $. If he is committed and helps them achieve success then they will put up with it.

Review this in light with the current predicament with McCarthy. Player does not want to be at your club and manager stated that he will not be at the end of his contract, does not equate to a committed worker. That affect harmony.

I recon professional athletes would not care if Treloar stayed back for more $. If he is committed and helps them achieve success then they will put up with it.
And i have no doubt we would release him. Once we get massive overs as he is a key position player with 2 years left. Freo think allot of him as they put down the massive offer.

Its not so much that he gets more its more that all these (most) have bought in to what we are trying to build. Treloar thinks, as does his manager, that he is worth more than Shiel and shouldnt have to take a pay cut. His opinion. Not mine.

Would love for him to stay but its not the end of the world.

Like I said, it's just my own little conspiracy theory, and I'm not saying this proves it, just that it's fitting with what I think has happened behind the scenes.

The fact that GWS made one offer to Treloar, had it knocked back, and then didn't really do anything about it from that point on, suggests to me that - as his manager says - they didn't really prioritise signing him.

Most managers of elite knock back a first offer and get another, and another, in this case it sounds like they knocked back an offer and didn't get another one, which again leads me to believe the Giants essentially intended to lose Treloar.

I think it was more a product of the situation. Not many clubs have six "must signs" coming off contract in the one year like GWS had with Cameron, Shiel, Treloar, Coniglio, Smith and WHE. It's easier to negotiate when you can go back and forth with cap space to spare and only one person to give it to, but when you've got Cameron taking up to $400k a year less than from other clubs, Shiel taking $100k-200k less than from other clubs, and probably similar for the other three, topping up Treloar's compared to the rest would be sending the wrong signal. I guess you can argue he "wasn't a priority" because he ranked in the same ballpark as the rest, but that five or six (depending on whether you can WHE) would have been a focus all year and it sounds like GWS simply couldn't come near what Adam expected in terms of pay so he decided to move where the others decided to stay. The "priority" stuff is just re-writing history to avoid coming off as a mercenary, since that's still seen as a bad thing in the AFL.

Wasn't Treloar a Carlton supporter growing up? Might change his mind now that Carlton want him.

If Collingwood manage to get Treloar, then Aish will probably head to Carlton. If they get Aish, Treloar might go to Carlton.

Did you just wake up ?

I think it was more a product of the situation. Not many clubs have six "must signs" coming off contract in the one year like GWS had with Cameron, Shiel, Treloar, Coniglio, Smith and WHE. It's easier to negotiate when you can go back and forth with cap space to spare and only one person to give it to, but when you've got Cameron taking up to $400k a year less than from other clubs, Shiel taking $100k-200k less than from other clubs, and probably similar for the other three, topping up Treloar's compared to the rest would be sending the wrong signal. I guess you can argue he "wasn't a priority" because he ranked in the same ballpark as the rest, but that five or six (depending on whether you can WHE) would have been a focus all year and it sounds like GWS simply couldn't come near what Adam expected in terms of pay so he decided to move where the others decided to stay. The "priority" stuff is just re-writing history to avoid coming off as a mercenary, since that's still seen as a bad thing in the AFL.

You may well be right, and I definitely agree that you can't trust a player manager's version of events - they always conveniently paint their client as a hard-done-by victim of evil football club practices. I still do think that there was something going on behind the scenes there, but if so it will more than likely never come out, so it's a bit of a moot point.

IMO if I was the Giants and I was picking to 'let go' one of those players, it would have been Treloar - he's a bit vanilla really - Cameron, Shiel and Smith are better - but has shown more at AFL level than Cogs or WHE, so would fetch more trade value. But that's just me thinking.

PS as far as my conspiracy theories go, is it worth reading your username backwards or is that just a bizarre coincidence.

We'll happily offer a late 1st rounder this year (Yarran pick) and a mid to late 1st rounder next year (Henderson pick). Happy to exchange 2nd rounders this year too for academy points.

Gets us in the ballpark and forces Collingwoods hand a bit. Which is also a win as it makes it more likely Aish falls to us in the PSD.
What is Aish nominates for the national draft?

Yeah. Finishing bottom of the ladder and having Yarran (mid-late first), Henderson (mid-late first) and Bell (early second) leaving gives us currency. With the loss of those blokes we should have ample currency, plus a reasonable contract to Kruezer and the retirements of Judd, Carazzo and Ellard, we should have a bit of cash to splash around too.

If it does nothing more than make Collingwood cough up 2 x 1st rounders, and force Aish to the PSD, its a win/win for us even if GWS knock back an offer.

What is Aish nominates for the national draft?

In a weak draft, I'd be happy spending our Yarran/ Henderson late 1st round pick on him. Assuming he wants to come to the Blues of course.

Carlton has means to do the trade - will force Collingwood to bet the farm on one player. GWS will be winners in the end.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I seriously doubt we get Adam BUT if we do i would be stoked as we do have more to offer than the Pies currently but who knows how trade week will play out.

He is destined for the Pies i reckon and will be a great signing no matter where he goes.

I seriously doubt we get Adam BUT if we do i would be stoked as we do have more to offer than the Pies currently but who knows how trade week will play out.

He is destined for the Pies i reckon and will be a great signing no matter where he goes.

IMO as good as Treloar is, and is going to be in the future, Carlton need all the picks they can get to rebuild there list, Carlton probably just putting there hand up to try and get GWS a better deal and in return GWS will do them a favorable deal for the blokes Carlton are targeting.

IMO as good as Treloar is, and is going to be in the future, Carlton need all the picks they can get to rebuild there list, Carlton probably just putting there hand up to try and get GWS a better deal and in return GWS will do them a favorable deal for the blokes Carlton are targeting.

Yeah can see where you are coming from but proven players like Adam who are in their prime now and still young are a much safer bet than taking a punt on a kid who is unproven at AFL level.

If Adam was in this draft right now at his current age he would be a Top 3 pick easily depending on the need of the teams with the top picks! Everyone says draft kids / draft kids etc etc but they fail a lot regardless where they are selected in the draft and no club is immune from drafting a dud player high who just does not cut it at the elite level while dominating the under 18's.

Adam is a NO brainer IMO if you can get him right now if he fits your player structure regarding to what the team needs and the drafting strategy.

Being young and a high draft pick prospect is grossly over rated on this forum with many thinking or adhering to the chain of thought that cause your team is young the future is bright but those young players need to have talent and a mix of experienced heads to guide them so the talent can be shown and not wasted.

Only on Big Footy is it more important to have a young list than to actually have talent. :cool:

Treloar with Cripps, Gibbs, Murphy and Kreuzer in the middle will be super.

Yeah can see where you are coming from but proven players like Adam who are in their prime now and still young are a much safer bet than taking a punt on a kid who is unproven at AFL level.

If Adam was in this draft right now at his current age he would be a Top 3 pick easily depending on the need of the teams with the top picks! Everyone says draft kids / draft kids etc etc but they fail a lot regardless where they are selected in the draft and no club is immune from drafting a dud player high who just does not cut it at the elite level while dominating the under 18's.

Adam is a NO brainer IMO if you can get him right now if he fits your player structure regarding to what the team needs and the drafting strategy.

Being young and a high draft pick prospect is grossly over rated on this forum with many thinking or adhering to the chain of thought that cause your team is young the future is bright but those young players need to have talent and a mix of experienced heads to guide them so the talent can be shown and not wasted.

Only on Big Footy is it more important to have a young list than to actually have talent. :cool:

Oh I completely agree with you, in that majority on here over rate draft picks, we already know Collingwood will be offering x2 draft picks, and if Carlton are to come over the top of that deal then they must be offering something very nice, IMO Carlton are probably better off keeping the picks, and going to the draft and backing in there recruiters to find the talent, Carlton have quite a few wholes in there list, and you would know your list a lot better then I would, but Carlton have a real chance in the next couple of years to really build there list from bottom up with some good draft picks. I just think it's a bit of posturing by Carlton, to try and help GWS get the most out of Collingwood, and in return GWS help you out with a couple of the GWS boys you are chasing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back