Cricket at Metricon stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

lets hope this becomes a reality, sounds like we might be behind Geelong and Canberra at the moment, but if I was a player and had the choice of Geelong, Canberra and the GC I know which one I would pick.
If those were your three options as a player between December-January I think 9/10 people would choose the Gold Coast. As we know, Metricon was designed with the infrastructure in place to support a drop-in pitch. The stadium could host a cricket match tomorrow if they needed to.

In terms of population, GC blows both Canberra and Geelong out of the water so that has to be a consideration for them. The CEO specifically said they wanted to expand into large regional areas. Well, the Gold Coast is the largest regional area in Australia and it doesn't looking like the growth is going to slow down any time soon. Canberra does have the advantage of a long history of cricket on their side. The 2015 BBL final is being held at Manuka Oval so that could be a sign that Canberra is the front runner for a new franchise.

Financially it would be huge for the SUNS if the city could secure a BBL franchise but it's obvious they are going to have to fight for it. You have to make your case as compelling as you possibly can and that means everything comes into account. The stadium is already very good and a 25,000 is probably about right for what they want. The training facilities that would be shared with the SUNS are supposed to be completed by December 2015, just in time for a BBL team to set up base. The weather couldn't possibly be an issue given Brisbane's isn't. The stadium meets ICC requirements so that isn't a problem either. The ONLY thing that could go against a Gold Coast bid is the history of sports teams folding. Everything else is fine.

I'm not a big cricket fan but if we had a GC T20 team wearing red and gold I would definitely go to the games at metricon. Here's hoping.

I'm not a big cricket fan but if we had a GC T20 team wearing red and gold I would definitely go to the games at metricon. Here's hoping.
Hard to justify predominantly red when this already exists:

P6BA5V9.jpg

BUT you could easily go with a predominantly yellow/gold jersey that uses red as its secondary colour a bit like this:

XkNhODd.jpg

It's basically just the SUNS jumper with the colours reversed. That way they can look a bit more at home with the seats at Metricon being red and not clashing with any existing BBL teams. It makes sense to put the GOLD Coast T20 team in a GOLD jersey even though it'll end up being yellow.

A second Perth team and Gold Coast would be my pick for round 1 of Expansion.

With Canberra and Geelong coming in later on.

Would need a few more international players coming on board to cover those marquee spots or figure out a way to schedule it so the big name test players can take part on a larger scale.

But I'm sure the West Indies guys would adore the GC climate.

I'd love a Big Bash team on the GC. Would increase the popularity of the league in Queensland too, given we'd finally have our cross-town rival derby. Matchu has covered the situation regarding Metricon and the demographic, so I really hope GC gets their team.

I've always been a bit perplexed as to why Sydney and Melbourne have two teams each, given those teams struggle with attendance. I understand the population in both cities is big enough to cater for two teams each, I just think it'd be better to expand to the regional centres first. If anything, Perth deserves a second team before Sydney and Melbourne.

Ideally, I'd love to see Gold Coast, Canberra, and Geelong get their teams in the next few years provided the number of marquee players increase. Jacques Kallis is almost 40 and he killed it on Saturday. Some of the older guys coming back for a 45 day season over the Summer surely is huge possibility, and where better to live for a month and a half than the sunny and beautiful Gold Coast?

Giants and Thunder to share training and administration facilities
The Greater Western Sydney GIANTS have announced a partnership with Sydney Thunder to share the club's training and administration headquarters at Sydney Olympic Park.

The partnership was announced by Sydney Thunder captain Mike Hussey and GIANTS ruckman Shane Mumford at the GIANTS Learning Life Centre today.

Thunder staff and players will be located at the Learning Life Centre during the forthcoming cricket season and the GIANTS will also provide administrative support for ticketing, membership and merchandise.

The GIANTS’ home ground at Spotless Stadium will host two KFC Big Bash matches featuring the Sydney Thunder against the Hobart Hurricanes on January 7 and against the Melbourne Stars on January 17.

GIANTS Chief Executive David Matthews welcomed Sydney Thunder to the GIANTS’ Learning Life Centre.

“We look forward to having Sydney Thunder playing at Spotless Stadium and being part of our club during the cricket season,” he said.

“We believe this is a great example of collaboration between sporting clubs in Western Sydney and will have benefits for everyone including the fans.”

Sydney Thunder General Manager Nick Cummins said he was delighted with the partnership.

“Sydney Thunder aspires to be the club of choice for players in the KFC Big Bash,” he said.

“The partnership with the GWS GIANTS will mean that we will have access to the best administrative and training facilities in New South Wales, and that can only help us in achieving our goal.”

The GIANTS will play a celebrity cricket match as a curtain raiser to the Thunder v Hurricanes game at Spotless Stadium on January 7.

Video in link.

This is the type of agreement that would come about if a Gold Coast BBL team was to ever come to fruition. Sharing of the training and admin facilities at the Carrara Sports and Leisure Centre would be a great outcome for both parties. The Heat averaged over 20k to their home games last season so there is definitely interest in Queensland and I think you would see GC sports fans come together to support the BBL team where as they are quite separated during the winter months.

Would need a few more international players coming on board to cover those marquee spots or figure out a way to schedule it so the big name test players can take part on a larger scale.

Perth wont be getting a second team. The Scorchers are already set to move their games from the WACA to the new stadium once that's completed so there won't be that second ground for a potential second team to play at. Plus I'm not a fan of having 2 teams in one town. It just cannibalises the support, like how the Renegades and Thunder are immediately the poor brothers of the Stars and Sixers, mostly due to playing at second rate grounds. IMO right from the beginning the Renegades and Thunder should have been located in Geelong and Canberra respectively.

A second Perth team would be dumb.

The Scorchers work because everyone just considers them WA anyway

A second Perth team would be dumb.

The Scorchers work because everyone just considers them WA anyway
Fair point, All I see is Perth selling out the WACA every season in support of the Thunder and think they should at least be within a shout.

And while I'm here, Yes the Stars were always supposed to be the Older brother over the 'Gades in Melbourne. I think you'll find that that the intention was for the Thunder to be the dominant Sydney team, They just happened to s**t the bed like nothing else and the Sixers played well a team (Remembering that this was before guys like Steve Smith exploded onto the International stage)

Fair point, All I see is Perth selling out the WACA every season in support of the Thunder and think they should at least be within a shout.

How many games have the Thunder sold out at the WACA? I doubt its many, if any at all ;)

http://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket...at-least-2018-19/story-fn5k3es5-1227188071358

“It (expansion) would never be any earlier than that (the next TV deal). That’s the absolute earliest you’d ever think about it,” McKenna said.

Ten's TV deal lasts another 3 more seasons, and if CA remains conservative they'll only expand the BBL by 1 team. Metricon seems to be competing with Geelong for the 9th license, and I think they'll lean towards Geelong to further consolidate the Victorian market.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think they'll lean towards Geelong to further consolidate the Victorian market.
Would they really risk another Victorian team when neither of the current two teams are maintaining 'fantastic' numbers, given the market?

I'd argue for a second QLD, SA, or WA team well before another Victorian team.

I'm not sure, honestly, how a GC team would fare in the Big Bash considering how campaignerish the GC public are when it comes to attending games, but given the nation-wide popularity of cricket, as well as the condensed nature of the BBL season, I think it'd be a success. It'd give Queensland a second team to develop a rivalry with too.

I would seriously be very annoyed if Geelong got a team, given Vic already has two - which is one too many, tbh.

Would they really risk another Victorian team when neither of the current two teams are maintaining 'fantastic' numbers, given the market?

I'd argue for a second QLD, SA, or WA team well before another Victorian team.

I'm not sure, honestly, how a GC team would fare in the Big Bash considering how campaignerish the GC public are when it comes to attending games, but given the nation-wide popularity of cricket, as well as the condensed nature of the BBL season, I think it'd be a success. It'd give Queensland a second team to develop a rivalry with too.

I would seriously be very annoyed if Geelong got a team, given Vic already has two - which is one too many, tbh.

It might be a 3rd Vic team, but being based in Geelong rather than Melbourne it's a completely different market. Few people living in Geelong, if any, would travel 2 hours to Melbourne for a BB game regularly, while I doubt anyone in Melbourne would go to Geelong for a BB game in the future. However it can consolidate TV audiences as Victorians could be more inclined to watch a game with Geelong than a game with GC, which would please the network and sponsors more. A real issue for CA though would be the viability of splitting the current Victorian cricket squad into 3 competitive teams. If a 3rd Vic team would just weaken the Stars and Renegades on the field then I can see CA opting for the GC.

I love the idea of cricket played at Metricon.
Gold Coast Guards have a nice ring to it.
Also hearing 2nd team joining BB will be from New Zealand .

I think they are pretty clear on no more teams in cities that have a side already. They want new markets.

Geelong, Canberra and GC are the front runners.

Personally I hope GC gets the nod. Just returned from a week up there and the extent of population growth is amazing - it's a great place, superb climate and would eat up a BBL franchise IMO

I love the idea of cricket played at Metricon.
Gold Coast Guards have a nice ring to it.
Also hearing 2nd team joining BB will be from New Zealand .

Highly doubt it. NZ have their own successful domestic competition and they're not going to cannibalise it by sending some of their draw card players to the Australian competition.

I honestly think the Gold Coast would be the clear front runner for a BBL expansion franchise if there hadn't been so many failed pro sports teams over the last few decades. It has Geelong, Canberra and Cairns all covered in terms of population and is growing at a considerably faster rate than all of those cities. Metricon already meets ICC standards so the ground isn't an issue and if capacity is a problem I'm sure a deal could be put together that sees the stadium permanently upgraded after the Comm Games.

The article above claims that a BBL expansion franchise won't happen until 2018-19 at the earliest which is perfect timing for the Gold Coast. All the upgrades/new facilities for the Commonwealth Games will be complete and the Carrara Sports Precinct will be an impressive area. As I mentioned before, they could easily come to an agreement to expand the capacity to 30k+ after the Comm Games if that's what is required to have a Gold Coast BBL team in 2018-19.

I would think the structure of four home games also plays into the GC sports fan's mentality. By only offering four chances to see your team play at home it creates a sense of urgency for the fans and would likely result in bigger attendances than if you played 11 home games. The December-January period also happens to be the busiest period for the tourism industry as plenty of southerners travel the Gold Coast during school holidays. This of course increases the chances even more of getting a crowd. T20 is a good format for the Gold Coast as I think Test and even ODIs would be too long to appeal to the average Gold Coaster when you can just spend those summer days at the beach instead.

I doubt the capacity of Metricon as it currently stands will be an issue. Sydney Thunder are in the process of moving from ANZ Stadium to the 25k Spotless Stadium.

The season falls when all the high rises and hotels are full , with people looking for entertainment , will be a big winner hear on the coast , dont have to rely on the fickle coast public.

The season falls when all the high rises and hotels are full , with people looking for entertainment , will be a big winner hear on the coast , dont have to rely on the fickle coast public.
This is too huge a point to miss imo - you're 100% right. There are people from all over the world visiting the coast over the summer holiday period. Particularly tourists from NZ, South Africa, UK, and India - all traditional cricket countries. They're surely go to a GC t20 match.

Sure, the locals would go to the games - but I imagine the majority of the crowd would be tourists, which would be another great attraction to the GC over the summer months.

This is what I was trying to allude to with my last post when I said it's a peak period for tourism. A BBL team really does appear to be the perfect fit for the Coast over the summer months.

so if we get the bbl we will need the light rail system to deliver the crowds of tourists from the hi-rises.
and water taxis from suffers paRADISE

so if we get the bbl we will need the light rail system to deliver the crowds of tourists from the hi-rises.
and water taxis from suffers paRADISE
A light rail extension to Metricon doesn't look likely any time soon but a ferry/water taxi system looks a possibility before the Comm Games. If you look at this article you will find that Lionel Perry Park and Appel Park in Surfers Paradise will be redeveloped this year to include a dock for a ferry. GC Mayor Tom Tate is also quoted as specifically mentioning his support for a ferry from Surfers Paradise to the Carrara Sports Precinct so it has obviously been talked about and is likely in the plans. Now we just have to wait until the masterplan for the Carrara Sports Precinct is released and hope it includes a dock for a ferry. The Metricon stage 2 redevelopment thread covers all of this extensively.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back