EDFL Div 1 Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Not far off there.

Started well then fell away, looked very rusty at times but nothing that isn’t fixable. Boys have been working hard this pre season and no doubt will be back at again this week working on the negatives from Saturday.

The positive was the club had 18’s up and running for the first time in over 5+ years.
Let’s remember they have a new coach. So it often goes the way of the new coach implementing a 2-3 year plan to build success. As the poster mentioned they now have 18s so will they look to build from within and develop? Could this be a strategy maybe? Can't happen overnight and does often depend on the budget a club has to spend as to the coach going after players. Or some clubs leave it to football managers to manage.
Always tough to recruit to clubs in the “outer” regions as such with the traffic etc, as you often need to offer overs, and can Roxy afford to go down that path? Plus it’s B grade footy. Craigieburn also struggled to recruit when in premier and now.
All this traffic congestion over recent years doesn’t help clubs outside the Essendon metro area!! Why sit in traffic for an extra hour!!

Hillside not over the cap thats fanciful crap.

Turbo is correct there are friendship connections there and family.

Could all have gone elsewhere for more money.

Only picked up three players of note
Castello, Caruso’s

Cavka unlikely to be approved by Keilor (and if they do, it will be when season has started is what I am hearing)

Lost Komatai, Ryan, Bonnici from their 1st Final.
One could argue that Komatai and Ryan were in the higher paid bracket and thus two of the above recruits are cancelled out by them.

BF experts… you do realise that by virtue of only playing 16 games, the cap has theoretically gone up!!

Not only did it increase by 10%, but the per game amount also increased because of the above games reduction, approx $1300 a game extra compared to last year.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Let’s remember they have a new coach. So it often goes the way of the new coach implementing a 2-3 year plan to build success. As the poster mentioned they now have 18s so will they look to build from within and develop? Could this be a strategy maybe? Can't happen overnight and does often depend on the budget a club has to spend as to the coach going after players. Or some clubs leave it to football managers to manage.
Always tough to recruit to clubs in the “outer” regions as such with the traffic etc, as you often need to offer overs, and can Roxy afford to go down that path? Plus it’s B grade footy. Craigieburn also struggled to recruit when in premier and now.
All this traffic congestion over recent years doesn’t help clubs outside the Essendon metro area!! Why sit in traffic for an extra hour!!
Good points Turbo.
I think Roxy & Terranova may take one step back this year and develop/recruit kids then have another go at it.

Also drove past Craigieburn's ground this morning, are there some doubts that the ground will be ready for round 5 on 11th May?

How can they be breaching the cap? Which players out of AFL or VFL have they recruited on big $$?? I don’t know of any..
Getting Castello was a big get and the reason a couple of others came as well. I know they knocked back big offers elsewhere so not sure they came purely for the $$ as you’re alluding to in your post. There is a link through previous friendship and family with people at HS so that possibly was a major influence.

Just on Hillsides ‘recruiting’
Personally I don’t think there better than Marby & West Coburg. Unsure how good st Albans will be however there best 6 would be as good as anyone if available all the time.

Hillside have lost arguably there best player in Bailey Ryan. Added 3 guys over the age of 36-37.
Cavka won’t be cleared by keilor and he’s realistically only capable of playing half a season due to his body.

Lots of noise and lots of money spent to be in the same position as last year.

I think they’ll finish 4th

Marby Park
West Coburg
St Albans
Hillside
Tullamarine
Craigieburn
Roxy
Keilor park
Oak park
Rupertswood

Personally I don’t think there better than Marby & West Coburg. Unsure how good st Albans will be however there best 6 would be as good as anyone if available all the time.

Hillside have lost arguably there best player in Bailey Ryan. Added 3 guys over the age of 36-37.
Cavka won’t be cleared by keilor and he’s realistically only capable of playing half a season due to his body.

Marby Park
West Coburg
St Albans
Hillside
Tullamarine
Craigieburn
Roxy
Keilor park
Oak park
Rupertswood
You ain’t playing finals in Div.1 without spending over the cap, that’s the reality. Hillside would be well over but also are financially strong so good luck to them, at least until the governing body can actually police it!
It’s the clubs that chase finals and spend beyond their means that will ultimately see the club slide. Plenty of examples of this is years gone by.

I’ll go with

West Coburg
StAlbans
Marby Park
Hillside
Craigieburn

Moonee Valley
Roxburgh Park
Tullamarine
Keilor Park
Oak Park
Ruperstwood

Last edited:
A
West Coburg won't be as good as what they were in 2023. If they go to premier they're just making up the numbers
Any reason you think they will slide ? They went 18-0, kept almost all the list and added a couple. Hard to see them not being top 2 IMO.

Is any club currently capable of not making up the numbers in Premier ? The bottom 3 in Premier last season weren’t anything special, Marby won’t have it as easy as most think.

A

Any reason you think they will slide ? They went 18-0, kept almost all the list and added a couple. Hard to see them not being top 2 IMO.

Is any club currently capable of not making up the numbers in Premier ? The bottom 3 in Premier last season weren’t anything special, Marby won’t have it as easy as most think.
Why not? Only Deer Park beat them and they are gone
New coach thats why. But I agree, Marby are an unknown quantity. They've lost just as many compared to who they've recruited. Then again Brodie Hollands appointment as coach is huge. But lets not forget how does he go this time around? His success in his first stint there was largely due to the money tipped in from G Allison.

Hillside and St Albans have recruited well too, St Albans in their second year in the EDFL you expect will be better.

New coach thats why. But I agree, Marby are an unknown quantity. They've lost just as many compared to who they've recruited. Then again Brodie Hollands appointment as coach is huge. But lets not forget how does he go this time around? His success in his first stint there was largely due to the money tipped in from G Allison.

Hillside and St Albans have recruited well too, St Albans in their second year in the EDFL you expect will be better.
New coach is a wildcard that’s a valid point, don’t know alot about him. They do have great on field leadership Cleary’s, Lucas, Baravi, Horo etc. that will help the transition.
Brodie, if he has the player buy in , which he should with a young list adds 4-5 goals. He is the best coach in this division, and why they probably play finals.
St Albans fell away late last season, early on they were strong and very hard to beat. They should be primed with a couple of quality additions. The flag might lay with them 3 IMO.
Cavka ain’t getting to Hillside, heard he might even be moving north ? Expect they play finals but won’t threaten the last game.

5th wide open for …
Tulla - spent up big under DC again and will be expecting to at least play finals. Might need luck with injured as a lot of their quality is old and past prime, not much depth last season.
Craigieburn - Weren’t far off last season and if improve then I expect they will get in. Need Carlisle playing 13-14 games.
Moonee Valley - could be a surprise packet. Very good coach and gone under the radar with a few handy recruits. They will at least win more games than last season (6) and if get some momentum may push ?
Roxy Park - On track to play finals last season before fading badly. Terra no mug and hard to beat at home. Bit of a concern their result on the weekend vs CD.

Keilor Park - should do enough to survive but lost a couple of good players. Haven’t done a lot on recruiting front. They were more than competitive last season, hopefully they can be at least that again.
Oak Park - haven’t seen much of them for a few season other than finals. Would be shocked if they won anymore than 3-4 games.
Rupo - plenty of noise about their issues. Will do well to field 2 teams every week.

Marby Park
West Coburg
St Albans
Hillside
Tullamarine
Craigieburn
Roxy
Keilor park
Oak park
Rupertswood
Mooney valley ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For mine,

West Coburg. Deserve to be the top contender.
Marby Park. Will be interesting to view from afar how they go.
St Albans. Some excellent gets.
Hillside. As above. Who has replaced Komaitai?

Tulla
Craigieburn
Moonee Valley
Roxy
Oak Park
KP
Rupo

Will Young clearance denied from Caroline springs

A few clubs are holding firm on contracted players leaving

All senior practise games are to have full compliment of umpires.

With those games possibly having a mixture of leagues providing umps (or if it's at the non EDFL ground, having umpires provided by the other league) the question probably won't be properly answered until the start of the season and depends on how many 18's and women's teams are entered (which is as big a strain on the numbers as those departing the ranks are).

I don't know about huge, his coaching record is ok.
It'll be interesting to see how strongly Marby bounces back,

I don't know about huge, his coaching record is ok.
It'll be interesting to see how strongly Marby bounces back,
I agree but huge in the sense that hes a favourite son of the club and given the lean year they had in 2023, its a needed morale booster around the place.

Yes regarding his record you're right hence why I pointed out the fact he had a lot of $$$ to play with

Saw this on the nfl thread
Good discussion point
Best 10 players in each grade for 2024
Some great players running around in all divisions these days

Any decent practice games this weekend
Happy to take grandies on a road trip for a look

Wonder how you would be getting kicked or grabbed by the throat or even grabbed by the back of the neck and thrown to the ground off the ball.

But not the expert on all topics Mr Turbo. By the way turbo what’s the thoughts on hillside breaching the cap this season ? Surely you would put them in the same thoughts of EK now ?

Sign ons and some massive money being paid per game is the word.
Who’s on the big money? Do tell.

Only picked up three players of note
Castello, Caruso’s

Cavka unlikely to be approved by Keilor (and if they do, it will be when season has started is what I am hearing)

Lost Komatai, Ryan, Bonnici from their 1st Final.
One could argue that Komatai and Ryan were in the higher paid bracket and thus two of the above recruits are cancelled out by them.

BF experts… you do realise that by virtue of only playing 16 games, the cap has theoretically gone up!!

Not only did it increase by 10%, but the per game amount also increased because of the above games reduction, approx $1300 a game extra compared to last year.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Don’t hit them idiots with facts that would be to easy. 😂😂😂

Remove this Banner Ad

Back