Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Footscray-logo-1999.gif
VS
Carlton-logo-2006.gif

7.40pm, Saturday, July 21, Etihad Stadium
Last time we met: Western Bulldogs 14.12.96 def Carlton 9.15.69, Round 16 2011, Etihad Stadium

Possible Line-ups:
Western Bulldogs:
B: Gilbee, Lake, Murphy
HB: Djerrkura, Austin, Higgins
C: Cross, Boyd, Griffen
HF: Dickson, Williams, Howard
F: Dahlhaus, Cordy, Giansiracusa
Foll: Minson, Liberatore, Picken
I/C (from): Djerrkura, Tutt, Wallis, Smith, Grant, Sherman, Veszpremi, Pearce, Jones, Johannisen, Panos

Carlton:
B: Yarran, Jamieson, McInnes
HB: Armfield, Watson, Russell
C: Scotland, McLean, Gibbs
HF: Collins, Duigan, Robinson
F: Betts, Thornton, Garlett
Foll: Casboult, Murphy, Carazzo
I/C (from): Bell, Lucas, Curnow, Joseph, Bootsma, Ellard, Dale

Bulldogs Preview: This week we play host to an injury depleted Carlton side on Saturday night. After a dismal past 6 matches, the Bulldogs will want to turn their form around and the once premiership favourites look more vulnerable than ever at the moment.

At the Selector’s Table: Markovic will miss with a hamstring injury. Form wise, Sherman and Howard are perhaps first on the chopping block after both playing a couple of ordinary games in a row. Hargrave has been quiet and is struggling to get back to top form. Austin looks to be a likely replacement for Markovic, unless Williams is moved down back and Jones or Roughead come back in, although this is perhaps unlikely. Giansiracusa will return after a month out to provide some much needed experience forward. Pearce, Veszpremi, Johannisen, Panos and Grant are also potential selections. In: Austin, Giansiracusa, Pearce Out: Sherman, Markovic, Hargrave

The Game:Carlton will look a shadow of their best 22 this week. Missing from their best will potentially be captain Judd along with Waite, Simpson, Touhy, Walker, Laidler, Joseph, Henderson, Warnock, Kreuzer and Hampson. With Carlton’s best three ruckmen missing, the task will likely fall on the inexperienced Casboult, with Watson pinch-hitting. Minson should win this battle comfortably. Without Judd and Simpson, Carlton still possess some star-power in the midfield through Murphy (a likely target for Picken), Scotland, Carazzo, Robinson and Gibbs. Like Hawthorn, they can move the ball quickly and have some very clean ball users, although will not be particularly strong in tight. After a strong first half of the season, the Bulldogs have recently been beaten in the contested possession count and will want to rectify this. The Bulldogs will want some pace through the centre, which will likely see Tutt given a full game to help out Griffen and Dahlhaus. Carlton’s danger men up forward, in the absence of Walker, are Betts and Garlett (who is very much out of form). Without Wood or Addison, the Bulldogs may play Murphy and Djerrkura on these two to match them for pace. Carlton don’t have many tall options forward, which should give Lake free reign to take the game on as he loves to do. Yarran is Carlton’s danger man in defence, and the Dogs may need to apply a forward tag to curb his influence. Jamieson will run with Cordy whilst Watson will go to Williams if he starts at CHF

Players to watch:
Brian Lake: Without any high quality tall forwards to oppose, he has the chance to take the game on and could be vital if we have a chance.
Will Minson: Like Lake, will be up against weakened opposition and should be set for a big match.

Prediction:The game will be decided by which Carlton side turns up. Their best and worst are far apart. Having managed to easily beat Collingwood twice, they have not beaten any other team in the top 8, and have been shown up several times against weaker sides. Despite this, they should still start as strong favourites given the Bulldogs recent form. Expect the Dogs to come out firing this week, which should hopefully see them extremely competitive. If we can manage to kick a score, there is no reason why we can’t take the points and upset them for the second time in two years. Prediction: Bulldogs by 9 points.

It really comes down to how our forward line functions though doesn't it? I guess if we can kick 11-12 goals, and the backline holds up, we could win!

Levi Casboult and Tom Bell both elevated from Carlton's rookie list. Both will most likely play this weekend.
Casboult coming in makes the Kreuzer rumour a bit stronger.

I declared this season a write off pretty much before a ball had been bounced this season. I didn't quite think we'd be this bad, but I knew we were in a semi rebuilding phase. So most of this season I haven't been too concerned with some of our losses... I've been shitty with a fair few performances where we have been belted. I haven't felt excited before any match this season, but I must say this week I am as close to being pumped without actually being pumped. I want us to win this badly.

It's a game like this that can give supporters hope, even though the season is shot to bits as far as finals is concerned. I don't just want to beat the Blues, I want to scare them so they piss themselves. I want to smash them from pillar to beam to post, and their piss can run along the gutter and into the downpipe.

******* getting sick of these changes to be honest, same ins and outs week in week out.

Why drop players if you are going to bring them back 2 weeks later (without even showing anything in the twos)

I'm positive Sherman will be back within a couple of weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its pretty disappointing! Sherman is exactly the type of player we are in need of and its a shame he didn't turn out as we'd hoped. Even worse, we definitely paid overs to get him. Just think, we could have an extra first rounder in this year's draft! Now we'll get very little for Sherman at the end of the year, if anything...

Whenever Casboult plays in the forward line (and a fair chance even when he's in the ruck), Will is going to absolutely monster the ruck. Thornton is probably going to be playing as their 2nd ruck looking at their side, maybe Watson in there sometimes.
Will needs to use it efficiently, because he's going to get a lot of hitouts.

Good luck boys, think the Dogs will get up by a few goals.

With our current injury list I'll just be happy with a good showing from some of the fringe and younger players on our list.

Looking forward to seeing old Carlton boy Austin in action, too.

Good chance Hargrave has played his last game, Dropped 2 weeks ago, reprieved with Austin injury last week and now dropped again, As I said in changes thread McCartney's post game comments were clearly directed at him and he has not embraced the change, decent player in his day, but the writings on the wall.

Its pretty disappointing! Sherman is exactly the type of player we are in need of and its a shame he didn't turn out as we'd hoped. Even worse, we definitely paid overs to get him. Just think, we could have an extra first rounder in this year's draft! Now we'll get very little for Sherman at the end of the year, if anything...

Good point on Sherman though clearly being played out of position as a permanent forward. How lucky are Howard and Cordy to be in the team neither have actually shown anything to suggest they are up to AFL level. Cordy in particular brings nothing to the table, how you can play a guy who has not even played a decent game at VFL level is beyond me. Comes a point in time when its more harmful for his development then good.

On the game itself we just need to win a little respect back it has been a horrendous month. Winning is obviously beyond us but kicking a decent score and having a 4 quarter crack is what matters this week. Its disrespectful to the supporters for players to dish up such rubbish each week... and enough with the coaching staff saying be patient we're developing comes a point after 4 humiliating performances when enough is enough

I've got the same feeling as you Igloo....There's no logical reason for it but I think we'll win... Watch us lose by plenty hahaha...
I'll die. If we lose this week, we'll get blasted in the media like we never have before. It'll be horrible.
Blues have way too many outs. Decimated by injuries and. We need to win this.

-Why is Pearce selected? dude didnt play VFL before the bye so he has missed 2 weeks of footy. Furthermore JJ who has actually played and played well is not selected in front of Pearce and Vesz is baffling given we delisted Mulligan.
-Calling up Grant is strange too, I applauded Macca's move to send him to the gym for the rest of the season to put on muscle. Why is he getting called up?
-I thought Gilbee was bad last week and in the post match presser he was refering to both Hargrave and Gilbee, why does he get to keep his spot?
Baffling decisions.

Also Dickson out is a huge blow, dude is either first or second on our goal kicking tally.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back