Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Footscray-logo-1999.gif
VS
Sydney-logo-1997.gif

3.15pm, Sunday, August 19, Etihad Stadium
Last time we met:Western Bulldogs 5.10.40 def by Sydney 20.12.132, Round 10 2012, SCG
Possible Line-ups:
Western Bulldogs:
B: Roberts, Roughead, Johannisen
HB: Murphy, Lake, Talia
C: Sherman, Boyd, Wallis
HF: Giansiracusa, Dickson, Griffen
F: Grant, Cordy, Addison
Foll: Minson, Picken, Smith
I/C (from): Jong, Pearce, Djerrkura, Campbell, Skinner, Cooney, Jones, Hooper

Sydney:
B:Shaw, Grundy, Johnson
HB: Malceski, Richards, Mattner
C: Smith, Goodes, Jetta
HF: Hanneberry, LRT, McVeigh
F: McGlynn, O’Keefe, Mumford
Foll: Pyke, Kennedy, Jack
I/C (from): Bird, TDL, Everitt, Parker, Gordon, Spangher, Armstrong, Morton, Reid

Bulldogs Preview: This week we play our last home game, and last match in Melbourne, against first placed Sydney. The Swans smashed us in round 10 and we haven’t looked the same since, so the Dogs will be up against it.

At the Selector’s Table: Hargrave misses with a suspension. On the chopping block could be any of Sherman, Djerrkura, Hooper, Skinner, Campbell or Grant. Having said that, Sherman, Djerrkura, Skinner and Hooper may be retained to fight for spots on the list following the end of year cull. Griffen and Pearce both may return after being late withdrawals last week. Wood, Williams and Cooney could come back from injury, whilst Cordy or Jones might play after spending weeks at Williamstown. Panos has been mentioned in the media this week and is a chance to become our fifth debutant in 3 weeks. In: Panos, Wood, Cordy, Griffen Out: Hargrave, Djerrkura, Campbell, Sherman

The Game: Not too much to say for this one, other than it will be a great chance to get more games into our fresh young guys. Missing Libba and Cross makes our task even more difficult against the Swan’s impressive midfield featuring Kennedy, Jack, Goodes and the outside run of Jetta. Last time around, Picken went to Jetta, this week Murphy may be needed to run with him so that Kennedy is not allowed to pick up clearances at will. Kieran Jack has really stepped up and can also hurt. Minson vs Mumford should be a good battle, although Minson’s colours were lowered against Maric last week and he’ll need to do better. The Bulldog’s backline is very young with Talia, Johannisen and Roberts so needs Lake and Murphy to lead the way with their experience. Reid will likely miss, meaning Roberts-Thompson, Goodes and the resting ruckman (Pyke or Mumford) will be Sydney’s tall forward options. The Swans will probably rely on midfielders to kick the majority of their goals, from guys like O’Keefe, Jack and Jetta. Our forwards have a big task against Sydney’s experienced backline featuring Richards, Malceski and Grundy. Dickson has looked the most lively of late, whilst Lake might play forward again if he is not needed back. We finally managed to convert last week, at one stage having scored 11 goals 4, before we again tired by three quarter time and started both missing and leaking goals. With such a young side this will likely happen again, so the first half of the match will really need to count. As has been the trend in recent weeks, we will likely see plenty of players tried in new, unfamiliar positions.

Players to watch:
Matthew Panos: May become our fifth debutant in three weeks. Many on here are unsure where he stands, so this may give us an indication.
Fletcher Roberts: Came on a substitute late in the third quarter last week. Managed to pick up plenty of possessions playing as loose man in defence, will be good to see how he goes when playing more accountable.

Prediction: The Bulldogs will have to work hard to stay within reach of Sydney. In round 10 we went in slightly confident after solid efforts against Geelong and Collingwood and got smashed, this time is a completely different story, and we will have an almost unrecognizable side on the park. Sydney need to win all of their games to hold onto top spot and secure a home final, and will not drop this one. Sydney by 47 points

Christ in a bucket, why can't they debut Panos?

With Jones and Cordy, why not let them find form in the VFL? We're going in with four ruckmen again and a marking forward that's having difficulty taking a mark. Unless Cooney is going to be playing forward all game then why him?

As i said, one season figuring out where they will play him, get rid of the deadwood to allow him to play more games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Campbell won't be playing.

Jong, Talia, Jones/Skinner, Cooney (sub)
think it will be better to not have conney as sub, since we don't want him coming on and do poorly when he is ment to be the spark as the sub. i.m.o

Surprised Sydney brought Reid straight back in.
Disappointed we brought Markovic straight back in. Would much prefer Talia start over him.

Only one on that bench I'd definitely like to start is Talia. Not sure who else should be in.

think it will be better to not have conney as sub, since we don't want him coming on and do poorly when he is ment to be the spark as the sub. i.m.o

I don't think we need to worry about spark this week, we will be 10 goals down when sub is activated, needs quarter and a half to see how his knee goes.

I don't think we need to worry about spark this week, we will be 10 goals down when sub is activated, needs quarter and a half to see how his knee goes.
but i like to think we have a chance :/
am i the only one that still believes we can win?

With Jones and Cordy, why not let them find form in the VFL? We're going in with four ruckmen again and a marking forward that's having difficulty taking a mark. Unless Cooney is going to be playing forward all game then why him?

Cordy is being promoted because he did find form in the vfl.
I suspect that Campbell will not make the final 22. Three 'ruckmen' is still kinda top heavy but obviously the club wants to give the young talls a real good go, dont forget that we are looking to the future.
Jones is pretty good when he doesnt get molested by multiple players at every contest.
Hopefully he has enough support this week, I think it's one of our stronger forward lines for several weeks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back