List Mgmt. Free agency/trade/draft discussion (READ OP FIRST)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 13, 2008
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool
Mod Edit - A note for opposition posters: please read

We reserve the right to remove posts in relation to any trade rumour or potential trade target that do not have a credible source or that cover old ground and don't add anything new to the discussion.

----------------------------------------------------

A tad early but an article on the AFL website caught my eye this morning.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-03-11/frawley-free-to-move-from-dees

JAMES Frawley is free to leave Melbourne at the end of this season with the key defender listed as one of this year's unrestricted free agents.

Do we make a play for him? I believe Goodes will retire this year and I have a feeling one of ROK or LRT will as well. We could have the money to make a play for him and would be a great addition to the side with Teddy now 31.

Last edited by a moderator:
A tad early but an article on the AFL website caught my eye this morning.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-03-11/frawley-free-to-move-from-dees

Do we make a play for him? I believe Goodes will retire this year and I have a feeling one of ROK or LRT will as well. We could have the money to make a play for him and would be a great addition to the side with Teddy now 31.

We'll need that money to keep paying Buddy and Kurt I'm afraid. But we've got the perennially underrated AJ coming back from injury, Xavier Richards who is skinny but seems to be developing OK, Aliir Aliir who could be anything (or nothing), and a couple of decent quality medium defenders in Rampe and Laidler who can play tall if needed. Plus Lockyer may yet come good. Maybe. Hopefully. Anyway, we've also got Reid who can play back if we need him to. Key defence is an issue, but no team is perfect in every part of the ground.

Here's a list of Free Agents at the end of the year. Ones in bold are the ones, if we have salary cap room, I'd make a play for:

Restricted free agents
David Mackay (Adelaide Crows)
Bryce Gibbs (Carlton)
Ben Reid (Collingwood)
Heath Hocking (Essendon)
David Mundy (Fremantle)
Todd Goldstein, Lachlan Hansen (North Melbourne)
Shannon Hurn (West Coast)
Shaun Higgins (Western Bulldogs)

Unrestricted free agents
Jason Porplyzia, Ben Rutten (Adelaide Crows)
Jonathan Brown, Ash McGrath (Brisbane Lions)
Michael Jamison, Kade Simpson, Jarrad Waite (Carlton)
Nick Maxwell, Tyson Goldsack (Collingwood)
Dustin Fletcher, Leroy Jetta, Jason Winderlich (Essendon)
Garrick Ibbotson, Luke McPharlin, Matthew Pavlich (Fremantle)
Corey Enright, James Kelly (Geelong Cats)
Brad Sewell (Hawthorn)
James Frawley, Lynden Dunn (Melbourne)
Leigh Adams, Michael Firrito, Brent Harvey (North Melbourne)
Domenic Cassisi, Kane Cornes, Tom Logan, Paul Stewart (Port Adelaide)
Shane Edwards, Jake King, Chris Newman (Richmond)
Sam Fisher, Jarryn Geary, James Gwilt, Lenny Hayes, Clint Jones (St Kilda)
Adam Goodes, Nick Malceski, Ryan O’Keefe, Lewis Roberts-Thomson (Sydney Swans)
Sam Butler, Dean Cox, Darren Glass, Matt Rosa (West Coast)
Matthew Boyd, Daniel Giansiracusa, Dale Morris, Robert Murphy, Tom Williams (Western Bulldogs)

Can see Walsh being replaced with Goldsack , if Goldsack doesn't get games at the Pies I think he will look at his options.
If we are looking at a KD on the cheap and wouldn't have to give up to much I would have a look at D Astbury from the Tigers 22 , 195cm 95kg , has not cemented a spot yet , but with XR , Aliir , AJ and I still think Ted and LRT will go on in 2015 we still have time for XR and Aliir to develop into 2016

So Smith has signed? Was actually worried about him leaving, since he was on the trade table (apparently) and the free agency released at the end of last year.

Seems like he is no longer on the list..

Can see Walsh being replaced with Goldsack , if Goldsack doesn't get games at the Pies I think he will look at his options.
If we are looking at a KD on the cheap and wouldn't have to give up to much I would have a look at D Astbury from the Tigers 22 , 195cm 95kg , has not cemented a spot yet , but with XR , Aliir , AJ and I still think Ted and LRT will go on in 2015 we still have time for XR and Aliir to develop into 2016

Astbury has been cruelled by injuries though. Remember him dislocating his kneecap a few minutes in against us at the SCG in 2011. Ben Griffiths from Richmond could be another option. Has a 65-70m boot on him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Before chasing any big name players , the club should and will concentrate on the present list. Jetta and Mitchell should be top of the list.

I wouldn't mind going after a mid range player to replace teddy when he retires. astbury could be a good option

After having a look around the other boards and seeing that the discussion has sprung up relating to our players, thought it was about time to start a discussion.

as our list is ripe for a premiership run for at least this year and the supposed salary cap pressures (with largely complete disregards for cap increase and our retirements this year) let it begin!

First round pick will more than likely be for Heeney, do not mind at all.

Names floated by other boards:

Smith (contracted 2016)
Parker (contract 2016)
Reid (contracted 2017)
Rohan (contracted 2017)
Mitchell (uncontracted)
Membrey (uncontracted)

Let the discussion commence

Last edited:
After having a look around the other boards and seeing that the discussion has sprung up relating to our players, thought it was about time to start a discussion.

as our list is ripe for a premiership run for at least this year and the supposed salary cap pressures (with largely complete disregards for cap increase and our retirements this year) let it begin!

First round pick will more than likely be for Heeney, do not mind at all.

Names floated by other boards:

Smith (uncontracted)
Parker (contract 2016)
Reid (contracted 2017)
Rohan (contracted 2017)
Mitchell (contracted 2015?)
Membrey (uncontracted)

Let the discussion commence
I thoght Smith extension signed this year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll be the first to admit that I know nothing about list management and trading, but I still reserve the right to poo poo and rubbish any outrageous trades put up.

I'll be the first to admit that I know nothing about list management and trading, but I still reserve the right to poo poo and rubbish any outrageous trades put up.
i think if we trade we will get $ we are in a strong position with a lot of players who could be playing AFL at other clubs. Decision to be made by players is do I go and play for a club that has less premiership potential than Sydney ?

Wait up, how is Mitchell uncontracted this year? We signed him on a 5 year deal when we drafted him to keep him off GWS and the money they were offering to not go F/S. That was my understanding anyway. He shouldnt be out of contract until 2017.

you would assume O'Keefe, LRT and Walsh would be gone at the end of the year. That's three senior spots open for the three we need to take in the ND, saving money for resignings like Mitchell(if needed) and a few others. No need for any FA signings, I think our list looks pretty good.

Wait up, how is Mitchell uncontracted this year? We signed him on a 5 year deal when we drafted him to keep him off GWS and the money they were offering to not go F/S. That was my understanding anyway. He shouldnt be out of contract until 2017.

I did a quick search and according to this article dated February 2011 we signed him in August 2010 (time flies!), perhaps this year could be the last year of the deal, as I have a feeling it might have been 4 years not 5 years, can anyone confirm?

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/the-swans-15m-man-is-only-17/story-e6frg7mf-1226012256931

Last edited:
I did a quick search and according to this article dated February 2011 we signed him in August 2010 (time flies!), perhaps this year could be the last year of the deal, as I have a feeling it might have been 4 years not 5 years, can anyone confirm?

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/the-swans-15m-man-is-only-17/story-e6frg7mf-1226012256931
you would think 4 years @ a shade under 400,00 would be about right. 5 years 2 300,00? That's a long contract for a 17 yo, but then again, we are the long contract kings.

My reading of that article has always been that the money and the length of contract offered was the Giants offer. Our offer was less years and clearly less money for him to be out of contract by now

Hiding him in the reserves for the rest of the year probably won't work if he keeps on racking up 64 touches. Let's start some rumours about his off-field behaviour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back