ICC Cricket World Cup 2015 in Aus & NZ.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Read an article that Afridi wants his fastest century crown back. Age and current form is against him probably. The best thing about ABDV innings is that you can be assured that some of the big guns at the WC may fancy a crack at that record which will make for awesome cricket. More likely to be achieved in Hobart or some of the small grounds in NZ, if at all.

http://tribune.com.pk/story/824693/i-want-to-reclaim-my-fastest-odi-century-record-afridi/

Im looking forward to us playing Afghanistan in Perth, should be an enthralling affair. Playing a very weak subcontinent team on one of the most bouncy pitches in the world, Im sure will do their confidence all the world of good. :rolleyes:

Bet you get excited about how 'competitive' Australia were in losing all three games in the group stage of last years soccer World Cup. How about you wait till the game is played champ before you pass judgement on players you've most likely never watched before. If you bothered to do your research you'd realise that Afghanistan is a reasonable side boasting 3-4 players who have genuine star potential and ireland are even better than that.

Bet you get excited about how 'competitive' Australia were in losing all three games in the group stage of last years soccer World Cup. How about you wait till the game is played champ before you pass judgement on players you've most likely never watched before. If you bothered to do your research you'd realise that Afghanistan is a reasonable side boasting 3-4 players who have genuine star potential and ireland are even better than that.

Australia is a far more competitive soccer side than Afghanistan being a cricketing side, champ.:rolleyes:

Before you start to get all condescending, I already have stated in here Im looking forward to seeing Hassan bowl down under in earlier posts. However, I would rather see the top 8 test nations participate in a round robin tournament playing each other twice with the top 4 sides competing for semi-finals spots. The time and place in playing the non-Test status countries in ODI cricket is not in a WC. The majority of matches against non-test nations in the ODIs are going to be a very one side affair which I do not find attractive nor for the betterment of the game given this is our show piece event of cricket.

Australia is a far more competitive soccer side than Afghanistan being a cricketing side, champ.:rolleyes:

Before you start to get all condescending, I already have stated in here Im looking forward to seeing Hassan bowl down under in earlier posts. However, I would rather see the top 8 test nations participate in a round robin tournament playing each other twice with the top 4 sides competing for semi-finals spots. The time and place in playing the non-Test status countries in ODI cricket is not in a WC. The majority of matches against non-test nations in the ODIs are going to be a very one side affair which I do not find attractive nor for the betterment of the game given this is our show piece event of cricket.

Socceroos have been below average for a fair while tbh, but that's for another thread. Regarding your idea, I feel it would be repetitive and not really a World Cup. Needs more nations and variety, give the developing nations a chance on the world stage. No one is making you watch those games. 4 groups of 4 groups who play each other once then top 2 Straight to quarters would be a better format IMO.

Soccer have been below average for a fair while tbh, but that's for another thread. Regarding your idea, I feel it would be repetitive and not really a World Cup. Needs more nations and variety, give the developing nations a chance on the world stage. No one is making you watch those games. 4 groups of 4 groups who play each other once then top 2 Straight to quarters would be a better format IMO.

How would it not be a world cup? The top 8 ranked nations competing against each other at the same time with the top teams vying for semi-finals berth?

Why do you need more nations? What we need is strong and competitive cricket games to showcase cricket the brand.

A lot of followers of cricket know full well that the world cup really doesnt begin till the QT finals commence. I would rather us play the other top 8 cricketing nations than to watch one sided affairs, of course there may be the rare upset. However for people that dont have foxtel I feel sorry for as the wont be able to view top cricketing nations play in the World Cup. At least in a format where we play every top 8 nation it would be televised on 9.

If your so keen on Ireland and Afghanistan we should get them over for a tri-series next summer, after all as you its variety and giving the developing nations a chance.

How would it not be a world cup? The top 8 ranked nations competing against each other at the same time with the top teams vying for semi-finals berth?

Why do you need more nations? What we need is strong and competitive cricket games to showcase cricket the brand.

Showcase to who? Your mentality has held cricket back for decades. It's a closed club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rugby Union does it well.

Four groups of five, top three qualify for the next WC, top two into the quarter finals. The first WC in 1987 had sixteen nations, expanded to twenty in 1999.

How is it so hard for cricket to expand at the same rate as Union?

I wouldnt mind that for a World T20 tournament and I wouldnt have a problem with the lower ranked non-test nations play in a World T20.

I wouldnt mind that for a World T20 tournament and I wouldnt have a problem with the lower ranked non-test nations play in a World T20.

T20 is the equivalent of Rugby Sevens.

ODI is the showcase format.

Exactly where has cricket been held back for decades?

There are countries which have been Associates since the sixties and seventies and have barely progressed anywhere. It's been fifty years since Associates joined the ICC - how is it that only three have gone on to become Test nations?

great. lets get them in. lets bring them all in. I want Singapore in the next world cup and Guernsey as well.

A typically well thought out response.

Were you even aware that HK are an ODI team, and would've been at the World Cup if it was the same format as 2007 (four groups of four)?

A lot of followers of cricket know full well that the world cup really doesnt begin till the QT finals commence. I would rather us play the other top 8 cricketing nations than to watch one sided affairs, of course there may be the rare upset. However for people that dont have foxtel I feel sorry for as the wont be able to view top cricketing nations play in the World Cup. At least in a format where we play every top 8 nation it would be televised on 9.

If your so keen on Ireland and Afghanistan we should get them over for a tri-series next summer, after all as you its variety and giving the developing nations a chance.

You've got an extremely narrow view. Governing bodies should be trying to grow the game not make it more elitist. 8 nations is essentially a champions trophy which is an anti climactic event. More nations is more representative of the nations who play cricket regardless of their abilities. True cricket fans want to see these lesser known nations at what is reputedly a 'world cup'. Many great stories have come fro. Associates at past world cups.

I do like that tri-series idea though. Would be a genuine way of helping those two teams take the next step.

You've got an extremely narrow view.

And your view leads on the whole to a tournament where it doesnt realistically begin till the QT finals where viewers like yourself are waiting for that rare upset win to get all giddy and excited about. Even then a rare win doesnt lead to qualification. Sure massive underdogs have landed in QT finals and even semi-finals.

It wont happen this year. Big call. I know.:cool:

And your view leads on the whole to a tournament where it doesnt realistically begin till the QT finals where viewers like yourself are waiting for that rare upset win to get all giddy and excited about. Even then a rare win doesnt lead to qualification. Sure massive underdogs have landed in QT finals and even semi-finals.

It wont happen this year. Big call. I know.:cool:

That is in part due to the way it is scheduled. That is a massive call by the way, it's happened every year since 99. I'm tipping ireland to beat West Indies.

I think the best of both worlds would be 4 groups of 4, with the top two progressing.

That's what the group stages are for.

You don't see people complaining about easy wins in the FIFA WC group stages. Namibia and Fiji got pummeled by Wales at the last Rugby WC. Good teams should be winning in the group stages, and if they don't then they don't deserve to go through.

That is in part due to the way it is scheduled. That is a massive call by the way, it's happened every year since 99. I'm tipping ireland to beat West Indies.

I think the best of both worlds would be 4 groups of 4, with the top two progressing.

Actually thats not a bad call, with the state of WI cricket and with the moronic decision to not pick their best players that may bite them in the arse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back