Traded Jack Redden [traded to West Coast for pick 17]

Remove this Banner Ad

The Dr

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 20, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Strong whispers that Jack Redden may be weighing up his future at the Lions. He is contracted for next year.

Very solid inside mid, tackles like a maniac, 24yo, but seems to have slightly dropped his output in recent seasons...

Not sure if he's any chance of actually leaving but which teams would want him and what would he be worth?

Really interesting one. From SA originally, so if Dangerfield goes to Geelong could Adelaide throw money at him? He's a good player, I wouldn't say a star but I'd have thought an early second rounder and maybe a player would get the job done. Whilst I imagine Brisbane would be disappointed to lose him they have quite a few that are a similar type.

Really interesting one. From SA originally, so if Dangerfield goes to Geelong could Adelaide throw money at him? He's a good player, I wouldn't say a star but I'd have thought an early second rounder and maybe a player would get the job done. Whilst I imagine Brisbane would be disappointed to lose him they have quite a few that are a similar type.
He's a Free Agent next year clubs would be better off waiting we could also get a band 1 compo pick next year also

That's a fair point.

Question- would you be disappointed to lose him? How do you rate him as a player?
Yes I would be disappointed if he left, really rate him very highly he's injury has set him back a bit this year. His hard as nails but quite slow wins a lot of clearances something we don't win a lot of so would be a huge loss for us

PAP could do with another inside mid.

Somewhat ironic (given the fierce rivalry), that as Redden fills Port's needs and not particularly the Crows', and the vice-versa with Aish, I doubt there would be much of 'go-home' bidding war between the two clubs (if any, really).

Doubt Brisbane fans would see the irony.....

He's a Free Agent next year clubs would be better off waiting we could also get a band 1 compo pick next year also
God I hope they bump up the age for free agents soon, he's way too young to a be a free agent.

Yes I would be disappointed if he left, really rate him very highly he's injury has set him back a bit this year. His hard as nails but quite slow wins a lot of clearances something we don't win a lot of so would be a huge loss for us

I don't watch a lot of Brisbane games, but couldn't Rockliff, Beams, Robinson and Zorko cover him in the clearance department? I mean if you got a decent pick or a young key position player would you happily accept the offer?

God I hope they bump up the age for free agents soon, he's way too young to a be a free agent.

I don't watch a lot of Brisbane games, but couldn't Rockliff, Beams, Robinson and Zorko cover him in the clearance department? I mean if you got a decent pick or a young key position player would you happily accept the offer?
They could but we're better off looking at getting Motlop if we can convince him to come to the Lions he's a great clearance player and good mates with Christensen.

We have the young key position players and look like adding Schache this year we need a mature key forward to help our kids which is why we're chasing Dixon.

Exactly the kind of player Richmond need. I'd give our first rounder for him.
You have to wait 12 months. Unless we get a very good offer he's not going anywhere, specially with Aish, Adcock and Leuenberger leaving this off-season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our first rounder and Nathan Gordon not good enough for you? :p

Throw in Post and we can double the running joke quota!

Good player but not a great player..

So so on calling him an inside mid. He can win his own ball , but hardly a clearance machine. Obviously not implying he is outside. The best description of redden is a more defensive physical brad ebert.

He would be a solid addition to port adelaide if we could get him..

Hard to see how a trade is possible though..

Is a free agent next season so teams would not want to overpay. He isn't a star midfielder either , but would fit in nicely after gray , wines , boak , wingard in the next group with hartlett , ebert , polec , ahchee s.gray and pittard.

No way would port part with pick 9/10 for him.

I seriously doubt bris would part with redden for ports 2nd round.

Kinda of hard to see where we could come from.

I think if danger goes adelaide could be well served to do compo pick 12ish? For redden + pick 20 .. If bris wanted to do that I don't know.

Good player but not a great player..

So so on calling him an inside mid. He can win his own ball , but hardly a clearance machine. Obviously not implying he is outside. The best description of redden is a more defensive physical brad ebert.

He would be a solid addition to port adelaide if we could get him..

Hard to see how a trade is possible though..

Is a free agent next season so teams would not want to overpay. He isn't a star midfielder either , but would fit in nicely after gray , wines , boak , wingard in the next group with hartlett , ebert , polec , ahchee s.gray and pittard.

No way would port part with pick 9/10 for him.

I seriously doubt bris would part with redden for ports 2nd round.

Kinda of hard to see where we could come from.

I think if danger goes adelaide could be well served to do compo pick 12ish? For redden + pick 20 .. If bris wanted to do that I don't know.

An 8 spot pick upgrade and you're not sure if Brisbane would do that?

Also if we get an academy bid before pick 12 it makes the difference between pick 12 and pick 20 negligible. We might as well trade him for a third rounder.

Hard to see him going this year unless Brisbane get a Godfather-style offer. Reasoning being: Brisbane would back themselves to get him to re-sign next year, and even if he didn't re-sign he's a fair chance to get contract offers netting compensation better than what's currently being mooted in this thread.

Hard to see him going this year unless Brisbane get a Godfather-style offer. Reasoning being: Brisbane would back themselves to get him to re-sign next year, and even if he didn't re-sign he's a fair chance to get contract offers netting compensation better than what's currently being mooted in this thread.
I'm not too sure if they would do it for a godfather offer this year and these things aren't ever really offered. The two of Rich and Redden will be interesting to watch next year and if the club is serious about 'youth' then letting one of if not the two (highly unlikely) would be let go as they are free agents and depending on the compo as they both are RFA I think. With the likely addition of Schache and Hipwood this year our future KPP's would be pretty well much a lock then the club would look to attaining mids and the early mail is that next years draft is that type and we could possibly pick up two with very early picks and also Allison. The media would cry club falling apart but I would see club with a very bright future (and yes, if they all stay and if the cranky coach and captain don't hurt their pretty little feelings).

Nah he is s**t and not worth looking at. Nothing to see here.
He must have loved his Mums cooking last weekend! In all seriousness as big a fan as I am of Redden, the amount of players Brisbane are losing is a joke. AFL has a serious issue.

Adelaide have also been hit hard with Bock, Davis, Gunston, Tippo... Danger, but have been able to cover, so far.

Reasoning being: Brisbane would back themselves to get him to re-sign next year, and even if he didn't re-sign he's a fair chance to get contract offers netting compensation better than what's currently being mooted in this thread.

I see the logic in this line of thinking, however, is that really in the best interests of the Lions?

Holding out for a compensation pick, inevitably requires Brisbane to lay dormant during the 2016 FA period (unless another Lions player utilises free agency). Is that really a wise choice? If Redden does indeed want out, would it not be better to get the best you can for Redden now (and subsequently get a pre-season/season into another draftee/player), than to play the waiting game next season?

Anyway, free agency is a disgrace. Has shifted the balance of power far too in favour of the player, when it should always be in favour of the clubs.

Employer > Employees. Come at me Bloshy apparatchik troglodytes.

I see the logic in this line of thinking, however, is that really in the best interests of the Lions?

Holding out for a compensation pick, inevitably requires Brisbane to lay dormant during the 2016 FA period (unless another Lions player utilises free agency). Is that really a wise choice? If Redden does indeed want out, would it not be better to get the best you can for Redden now (and subsequently get a pre-season/season into another draftee/player), than to play the waiting game next season?

It depends if a) he's not going to re-sign, and b) what gets offered to Brisbane. I'm sure the Lions would prefer a), so aren't going to trade him away on spec. If he wants to leave and if we're offered a late second rounder this year (say, mid-30s) is that really better than getting between pick 19 (end of first round) through 25 (after our second rounder - I'm not bullish on our season next year)? I don't have expect Redden to draw much more than that on the current market after his so-so year.

He must have loved his Mums cooking last weekend! In all seriousness as big a fan as I am of Redden, the amount of players Brisbane are losing is a joke. AFL has a serious issue.

Adelaide have also been hit hard with Bock, Davis, Gunston, Tippo... Danger, but have been able to cover, so far.

The players who are leaving have been overtaken on the list and what they think they are worth is not reflected by the value they have at the club. Is Leuey worth as much to us as he would be to a club who needs a number one ruck? Redden is a very vanilla footballer and if we didn't have as many injuries as we've had this year he would be in that 20-25 bracket on our list, wouldn't be a walk up start in our midfield. As much as people want to call it a crisis they clearly avoid the facts and lack any critical thinking of their own, just swallow what the media feeds them then recite it as fact.

Leuey may be worth 500k a year to another club, he's not to us.

Redden may be worth 450k a year to another club, he's not to us.

Wouldn't it make more sense to free some cap space up for positions of need, like a key forward etc than overpay players on our list who are excess to our needs?

Sorry if this came off as harsh, not having a go at just you, people in general who spout the same old thing about these same players without having a look at our list. We're an easy target I get that, maybe have a look at who is rumored to be leaving and try and see why then just believe everything the media prints.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back