Roast Joel Selwood

Remove this Banner Ad

There's nothing wrong with pointing out that Sel's been down….I have seen Jimmy Bartel, Corey Enright and SJ cop plenty every now and again…and the balance of their careers has been superb.

I love Selwood, he's a champion but the OP pointing out his significant drop in form the last few weeks is not a hanging offense.

I was never into hero worship combined with a "he can do no wrong" attitude and never will be. Sel's been average but he will respond, and a few off weeks does not diminish him as a player.

But it is worth comment.

I have often felt that too much of a work load falls on Selwood's shoulders. Maybe it is starting to take it's toll.

Last edited:
Piss poor effort

Would not be in top 10 in B & F
Let me get this crystal clear, you're accusing Selwood of poor effort? The little champ bleeds for this club (literally and figuratively) he would be the last bloke on our list I'd accuse of poor effort. Absolutely dead last in that category.

He is having a down year but he's getting a hard tag, no support in the midfield, negligible support from ruckmen. He's still leading us for clearances and iirc even disposals this season.

Last edited:

The little champ bleeds for this club (literally and figuratively)

almost got to the point where a rest would do him some good. Or perhaps shift him out of the midfield and just plonk him forward pocket to remain in that position. The continual head knocks, he's going to be a bloody crippled (but very wealthy) 32-33 yr old when he retires from the game.

When GAJ was getting tagged, he had help. Chappy, SJ, Bartel, Corey, Kelly, Ling, hell even Stokes. And need I mention Rooke, Mooney and Dasher at times to get in the way.

Selwood, to draw a parallel, has Caddy, Guthrie, Lang, Gregson, Boris, Motlop, Thurlow, Bews, Kersten to block for him.

The class could be there but the experience is not. And they are just not getting him help and it shows. Seeing the game live Sel gets mugged off the ball - dragged, scragged, whacked, pushed over, wrestled etc. And not one player gets to him it seems. As it is off the ball, they are not watching for him - they are playing the game - but he just needs help.

Again, gets sent off for 4 x blood rules but not a free paid. The bloke must be exhausted.

Go Catters

So he's had a bad month? I'd hate to see his stats if he was going well! :rolleyes:
(hrmm... the total clangers are a bit of a worry. I think I'll blame them on his sore hand!)

Screen Shot 2015-06-22 at 12.07.31 am.png
Screen Shot 2015-06-22 at 12.09.57 am.png

(He's on target for 170 clearances this season. His average is 5 per game, the most he's ever had was 153 last season in 24 games)

Although he has still be solid (as @Teriyakicats stats show) he has certainly been down on form, something I've noticed a lot, which to his credit he improved in the second half, was movement through stoppages, he was stagnant far more often than I have ever seen him, usually he was like Ablett, also fluid and on his toes whereas now he seems more flatfooted and more eager to try to push off his opponent.
Caddy however was fluid more often than not (which is a symptom of his improved form the last 6 weeks) and Guthrie everywhere except in the centre square.
I never played a lot of midfield, mostly because I was too tall, but when I did I was always told to "keep moving", it is harder to tag a moving player, it is harder to block and stop a moving player and it is far easier to move from a stoppage at pace and momentum if you are moving.
On ya bike Selwood!

Criticism not of Selwood-how many times was he upended yesterday off the ball often right in front of an Umpire who....... that's right didn't see it- but of our midfield strategy. No-one assists him and the only one of us who has defended him recently was Johnson in the Port game who had a 50 paid against him.

Piss poor thread!
He's the only A grade midfielder we have, and he's always the first to cop the tag.

Unfortunately, Selwood will be playing a lot worse than today as the season progresses because frankly, our midfield around him is probably the worst in the entire competition.
Far too inexperienced and then a batch of old players like Stokes, Kelly, Johnson who have probably gone on one year too many.

This.

Roast the whole team, top 8 was on the line yesterday and they blew it without even giving a fight.

It's not just here. Others are noticing too.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...-in-footy-shorts/story-e6frf3e3-1227408636060

LET’S start with a disclaimer.

Joel Selwood is a champion of the game. He’s won three best-and-fairest awards, three premierships, four all-Australian jumpers and twice been named captain — he’s got credits in the bank.

But, the reality is that the Geelong skipper is not having a good season.​

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...-in-footy-shorts/story-e6frf3e3-1227408636060

Selwood's main issue is not himself but lack of support in terms of ball winning and ruck- AND physicality around the ball. He gets scrapped badly, I think because our other mids are not physical.. some would say soft.

Our mids are the problem (minus Blicavs who was very good again yesterday considering) -
- No Stanley or a good ruck
- Caddy (very inconsistent and too slow to make decisions still - good upside though)
- Guthrie (ok when it falls his way or on the end of a handball - poor ball winner - soft - inconsistent - not ultimately a midfielder anyway)
- Duncan / Bartel missing
- Our youngsters are exactly that, no point being critical

NEED Dangerfield and some hard mids / non-injury prone ruck... badly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So he's had a bad month? I'd hate to see his stats if he was going well! :rolleyes:
(hrmm... the total clangers are a bit of a worry. I think I'll blame them on his sore hand!)

View attachment 145803
View attachment 145807

(He's on target for 170 clearances this season. His average is 5 per game, the most he's ever had was 153 last season in 24 games)

The stats for Rds 7 to 12 tell a very different story.
As I pointed out above, the claims that he's had a bad season are just plain rubbish.
But he has had a bad 6 weeks or so.
In fact, take out the Essendon game, and he's averaging only 17.8 disposals over that period.

The stats for Rds 7 to 12 tell a very different story.
As I pointed out above, the claims that he's had a bad season are just plain rubbish.
But he has had a bad 6 weeks or so.
In fact, take out the Essendon game, and he's averaging only 17.8 disposals over that period.
One thing I noticed a while ago, Fred, was that if he was having a bad day with being tagged, his pressure acts went up. The way I saw it, he'd make a terrible Ship's Captain- if he was going down, he was going to make sure that he was taking someone with him.
I'd have to match those thoughts with stats- will try to do so later on.

When GAJ was getting tagged, he had help. Chappy, SJ, Bartel, Corey, Kelly, Ling, hell even Stokes. And need I mention Rooke, Mooney and Dasher at times to get in the way.

At Geelong perhaps. Didn't have that support at Gold Coast, and if anything he took his game to an ever higher level. The "needs support from his teammates" line is thrown out very quickly by all of us, but ultimately, if the player is good enough, he can overcome taggers without it.

One thing I noticed a while ago, Fred, was that if he was having a bad day with being tagged, his pressure acts went up. The way I saw it, he'd make a terrible Ship's Captain- if he was going down, he was going to make sure that he was taking someone with him.
I'd have to match those thoughts with stats- will try to do so later on.

That would follow. If you're not getting it yourself, you have to chase and tackle the opponent who is getting it.
It's one reason why a higher Tackle count is often a bad thing, not a good sign.

Selwood, to draw a parallel, has Caddy, Guthrie, Lang, Gregson, Boris, Motlop, Thurlow, Bews, Kersten to block for him.

The class could be there but the experience is not. And they are just not getting him help and it shows. Seeing the game live Sel gets mugged off the ball - dragged, scragged, whacked, pushed over, wrestled etc. And not one player gets to him it seems. As it is off the ball, they are not watching for him - they are playing the game - but he just needs help.

Again, gets sent off for 4 x blood rules but not a free paid. The bloke must be exhausted.

Go Catters

But Daz, Ablett had less support at Gold Coast and could manage it.

Selwood is not in same class as Ablett - few are - his leadership and bravery make him a great Geelong player but he is not in that elite bracket like Fyfe or Ablett, or even Mitchell.

Selwood over his career has been a champion player by any measure but right at the moment he is a long way off the very best midfielders in the league. And has been for a while. This form slump is not unique, he goes through them every year.

But Daz, Ablett had less support at Gold Coast and could manage it.

Selwood is not in same class as Ablett - few are - his leadership and bravery make him a great Geelong player but he is not in that elite bracket like Fyfe or Ablett, or even Mitchell.

Selwood over his career has been a champion player by any measure but right at the moment he is a long way off the very best midfielders in the league. And has been for a while. This form slump is not unique, he goes through them every year.

He has never had a run anything like the last 6 weeks.

At Geelong perhaps. Didn't have that support at Gold Coast, and if anything he took his game to an ever higher level. The "needs support from his teammates" line is thrown out very quickly by all of us, but ultimately, if the player is good enough, he can overcome taggers without it.

Selwood V GAJ is difficult though, very different players.

Ablett is the evasive type / slippery, while Selwood is crash and bash / one paced. Selwood is far more easily tagged for this reason. He's predictable.

Bottom line, Selwood is not Ablett (best ever midfielder) and needs support to be at this best. We saw his effectiveness increase when Duncan stepped into the midfield and was winning the footy. I know I harp on about it, but Guthrie and Caddy are just poor stoppage / clearance players at this stage, not AFL level if you ask me. And never showing any harsh physicality towards opposition. They get trounced by every other midfield in the comp. Not having a great ruckman I don't see as a legitimate excuse, it doesn't help of course.

Still no top 10 B&F list from CW

tumblr_mil4q4utPG1rc0luco1_400.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back