Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2015 Draft Almanac

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Snoop Dog Skippos Chris25 Knightmare

After attending the WAFL GF and sitting near some scouts they were mainly interested in Yarran. Just wondering what your thoughts are on him? Where you see him going (team and pick round?)

Only got a state combine invite so maybe some not overly interested but 3/4 different team scouts were on saturday.

Also Boland from Subi what do you know about him sneaky late pick? Kicked 7 probably BOG i dont know who the award. Has had 3-4 big games in the back half of this season. I expect clubs may want to wait a year to see how he goes in a full season. Thoughts?

Snoop Dog Skippos Chris25 Knightmare

After attending the WAFL GF and sitting near some scouts they were mainly interested in Yarran. Just wondering what your thoughts are on him? Where you see him going (team and pick round?)

Only got a state combine invite so maybe some not overly interested but 3/4 different team scouts were on saturday.

Also Boland from Subi what do you know about him sneaky late pick? Kicked 7 probably BOG i dont know who the award. Has had 3-4 big games in the back half of this season. I expect clubs may want to wait a year to see how he goes in a full season. Thoughts?

Yarran has talent and near goal and really do damage. Has taken another positive step forward this season.

The thing with Yarran is that he is 26 years of age and not 19/20. And his level of performance for me isn't so dominant that it makes me think he'll be someone a club would be thinking would slip into a best 22.

Boland I've seen plenty of having played for the Pies VFL team before. He is a very good state leaguer but not an AFL quality talent with his play neither consistent not dominant enough.

Yarran has talent and near goal and really do damage. Has taken another positive step forward this season.

The thing with Yarran is that he is 26 years of age and not 19/20. And his level of performance for me isn't so dominant that it makes me think he'll be someone a club would be thinking would slip into a best 22.

Boland I've seen plenty of having played for the Pies VFL team before. He is a very good state leaguer but not an AFL quality talent with his play neither consistent not dominant enough.

KM. would Bombers take Francis over Parish if was available at their first pick, on your opinion?

KM. would Bombers take Francis over Parish if was available at their first pick, on your opinion?

I haven't heard any specific rumours so 50/50 call between the two.

I like Francis but if I'm guessing Parish.

Best to wait for more specific media rumours. I'm the one watching these the u18s play rather than the one with the contacts in clubland to know what particular clubs have in mind.

Nathan Freeman.

But being more serious in this draft Ryan Clarke is exactly that. Highly competitive and hard. He won't back down and will really stand his ground and not be intimidated. Plays mostly inside though has that outside balance. And boy can he run. He has the pace and explosion as well as the endurance and gut running.

Yeah , I've seen freemans name on the port board as someone suggested that port were very high on him pre draft.

Port will likely send pick 10 to gcs , and be at the draft with picks 31 , 50 and another 2nd or 3rd rounder if we move someone on.

Will need to catchup on the TAC Cup Grand Final. Hopefully there is a link to a replay somewhere so that I can catch a replay over the coming week.

Invited to the state combine so he is while an outside chance, in with a shot.

He is one of Oakleigh's team of contributors without being a standout.

Unusually high scoreboard impact by his standards.

Not invited to the state or national combines and to my eyes was not a standout during the season as yet another able component for Oakleigh without being a standout. So I'm not expecting P.Phillips gets drafted.

I'm assuming you're talking about Mitchener? He is an overager and handy at TAC CUp level.

Hard to see what his best position he will be able to fill at AFL level as an undersized ruckman.

Might be worth the investment for a VFL side to have developing though would be my thought.

That's just my variation in terms of where I personally rate talents and it's always going to be different to where I see talents going. Though I'm probably over time becoming increasingly confident to evaluate talent more differently to the norm and may take it a few steps further away again from the norm.

The variation for me this year is those I rate much lower than their draft positions I have serious doubts as to whether they're good enough for AFL level, and there are a few I'd consider with greater at least role playing potential at AFL level. So that may mean someone like a Capiron as one example moves past several others I still rate in say the late 20s. I plan over the coming months to probably exaggerate that feel within my power rankings a touch more if anything and just back myself in to a greater extent from that perspective.

Still a component to Eastern's team rather than a standout, but it's a great sign that given he becomes draft eligible next year that he is at least playing now.

It will come down to his development and how strong his 2016 season is.

Played for Tas through the u18 champs and will have seen all three of those games.

In saying that I can't recall his play so I expect he was quiet.

Will surely develop a view on him over the coming year if he develops his game and comes good.
Yeah, Mitchener. I can see him playing as a CHF, his around the ground work was impressive and good hands from what I can tell.

Yeah , I've seen freemans name on the port board as someone suggested that port were very high on him pre draft.

Port will likely send pick 10 to gcs , and be at the draft with picks 31 , 50 and another 2nd or 3rd rounder if we move someone on.

Freeman is such a Port Adelaide (style) of player. He can win the contested footy and uses it reasonably efficiently. But his running is for an inside player outstanding. He has an elite pace and endurance combination. I still see him as a variation on Luke Shuey. Shuey I feel will be the slightly more dominant contested ball winner, Freeman the more explosive and better runner with better decision making ability. But in terms of career projection. That's what I'm still anticipating. It is also thought that Freeman still has his running ability. So he is such a Port Adelaide (style) fit because he does those things needed but so perfectly fits the clubs style of game as he will accelerate and take on the game with ball in hand.

I think Hinkley / port recruiters really like guys that are really competitive , or combatitive types and speedy guys as well...

Any names that sound like that?
I think all coaches like those type of players

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

hey mate, enjoying the read.

I dont see a whole lot written about Hardwick, i know he had a couple of big bags that boosted his numbers but it seems hes always hitting the score board.

Who does he resemble in AFL terms?

Why is he not rated as high as others ? Is it a case of a game style that wont translate from u18s to AFL level? or has too many weaknesses?

cheers

2 me he looks a bit like a Paul medhurst type. Quick on the lead, and strong hands, so often 2 strong for the small defender, 2 quick for the bigger defenders. Interesting to see what he's tank is like, he seems to look tired after 1 effort when up the ground.
It will be interesting to see where he ends up.

Sent from my SM-T330 using Tapatalk

2 me he looks a bit like a Paul medhurst type. Quick on the lead, and strong hands, so often 2 strong for the small defender, 2 quick for the bigger defenders. Interesting to see what he's tank is like, he seems to look tired after 1 effort when up the ground.

Guessing if tank related he can't put on fwd pressure, essential these days

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What are the dates for trade week and draft?

Friday October 9 - NAB AFL restricted free agency offer and unrestricted free agency period begins

Monday October 12, 10am - NAB AFL Trade Period begins

Sunday October 18, 5pm - Close of NAB AFL restricted free agency offer and unrestricted free agency period

Wednesday October 21 - NAB AFL restricted free agency matching offer three-day period ends

Thursday October 22, 2pm – NAB AFL Trade Period closes

hey mate, enjoying the read.

I dont see a whole lot written about Hardwick, i know he had a couple of big bags that boosted his numbers but it seems hes always hitting the score board.

Who does he resemble in AFL terms?

Why is he not rated as high as others ? Is it a case of a game style that wont translate from u18s to AFL level? or has too many weaknesses?

cheers

Hardwick can play and is dominant through the TAC Cup.

He is a smart medium marking forward who loves a goal and is a goal first - everything else second kind of guy.

Hardwick is thought to potentially have the ability to push up the ground but when he has I've felt his impact has been fairly low. Additionally I'm struggling to find a point of difference that will keep him effective at the next level.

His best chance is if he becomes a rotational forward/midfielder and look to develop himself on a Rockliff.

Overall I feel Hardwick is probably similar to Brent Macaffer as a junior (Macaffer managed 70 games from 16 games - Hardwick isn't achieving quite those extreme numbers on the season but he has had his hot games where he kicks his 7,8,10 goals). Where he is a medium forward who can hit the scoreboard in bunches in the juniors, but without that point of difference to set him apart it's going to be hard for him to establish himself at AFL level.

He is overall worth a shot. But I wouldn't personally be comfortable in the first two rounds of the draft selecting him. After that I'd be open to considering him depending on who else is left.

In terms of an AFL comparison. While a past player now. He is something like a Ben Warren equivalent in this draft as a good medium forward who wants to be a primary or major option near goal but without that major point of difference that will necessarily allow him as many big hauls at AFL level as he manages in the juniors.

Another good comparison. Medhurst was actually while he played a lot taller actually is much shorter as a sub 180cm forward, whereas Hardwick is around 186cm.

Hardwick doesn't quite have those same extremely strong hands or 1v1 ability. But still like Medhurst he is a marking general forward.

Any information you can give me on Callum Moore mate? Cheers in advance!

Callum Moore is an athletic tall forward. Overager who missed out last year. He could be though probably in my view won't become a key forward as a lighter type. He is someone who has shown glimpses this year without starring.

In saying that AFL clubs rate him and he has a definite chance to go in the 2nd - 3rd round range.

Who are the best Half back flankers and back pocket players in the draft? any you can see being there in the second round?

Aaron Francis, Riley Bonner, Darcy Tucker are the first round types who can play back. The latter two have some second round chances but are expected to go first round.

From the second round. Brandon White, Mitchell Hibberd, Stephen Tahana and Daniel Capiron are among those who can play back and could be worth a shot.

Thanks mate. I just read that Ben Cavarra won the Dolphins B&F again to go with his win in 2014 and his Ranges B&Fs in 2013 and 2012.

I think youve answered a few questions on him this year, but is he really that far off being drafted? I know hes small but he just seems to dominate so consistently.

Cavarra has been good both last year and this year in the VFL. His kicking efficiency as a starting point needs to improve and needs to be higher than 50%. Further to that he needs to add some more weapons. He covers the ground extremely well and can find the footy but maybe some more heavily scoreboard impact or some other x-factor would make him more appealing in the minds of recruiters.

Haven't heard much about Francis since the champs, how has his back end to the year been and what level has he been playing at?

Francis has as far as I can find only played at league level this year.

He has according to sportingpulse only played the one game since July (being at the end of August) so that's probably why there has relatively speaking been less discussion/excitement about him over the last few months.

Thanks for that. So has he been injured?

Those that recruit for the clubs will really earn their money this year with so many of the best prospects having their seasons derailed to varying degrees by injury (eg. Mills, Francis (presumably), Kennedy, Weideman, Dunkley, Burton, Skinner, Balic, Curnow, etc).

This would probably be looking like a much stronger draft crop if it weren't for so many of them being injured for chunks of the season.

Last edited:
KM, know much about Jacob Wheelahan??
A lot of the Ballarat folk rate him highly, yet doesn't seem to be getting mentioned much in despatches on this board.

Sorry to argue the point, as you do such a fantastic and thorough job, but I think you'll find hardwick is actually closer to the 181/182cm mark rather than 185-187cm. Hence y I compared to medders. According to various lists he's listed at low 180s and standing next to him at the huddles, he definitly isn't any bigger than that.

KM, know much about Jacob Wheelahan??
A lot of the Ballarat folk rate him highly, yet doesn't seem to be getting mentioned much in despatches on this board.

Wheelahan has been invited to the state combine so there is some interest from at least a few clubs.

But unless you're going to the national combine there will not be so much interest from very many on here. Particularly considering it's a weak and shallow draft relatively speaking.

Wheelahan has only played over the second half of the season for North Ballarat Rebels. He has been ok without standing out, showing some occasional flashes of something up forward but hasn't by position found nearly enough of the footy or even once been listed among the bests. So he is probably more someone if spoken about I would have thought more likely would be a shot for a VFL development list position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back