Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2015 Draft Almanac

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Snoop Dog Skippos Chris25 Knightmare

After attending the WAFL GF and sitting near some scouts they were mainly interested in Yarran. Just wondering what your thoughts are on him? Where you see him going (team and pick round?)

Only got a state combine invite so maybe some not overly interested but 3/4 different team scouts were on saturday.

Also Boland from Subi what do you know about him sneaky late pick? Kicked 7 probably BOG i dont know who the award. Has had 3-4 big games in the back half of this season. I expect clubs may want to wait a year to see how he goes in a full season. Thoughts?

I sat in the same area and it was Sam Menegola they were looking at. I think he had 30 after a quiet 1 st quarter. Polled well in the Sandover too after, I think, missing a few games. Good endurance, any chance, he's 23 I think.

I sat in the same area and it was Sam Menegola they were looking at. I think he had 30 after a quiet 1 st quarter. Polled well in the Sandover too after, I think, missing a few games. Good endurance, any chance, he's 23 I think.

Menegola is a chance. Invited to the state combine. Has excellent endurance, you're right. And good height. Highly productive. Still young enough. He has a shot.

Definitely. At Fremantle and Hawthorn the general criticism of him was that he was an athlete not a footballer, but this year has certainly dispelled that at state level. Will get a chance somewhere.

Bill Monaghan has come out and said he expects to lose Marcus Adams in the draft. I like Adams as a player, does a good job on a wide range of players, built like the proverbial brick shithouse and super aggressive. Has also shown himself to be adept at both ends of the ground. However, I'm not as bullish as Monaghan is in regards to his AFL prospects because I think clubs will be sceptical of his ability to meet the harsh demands of running out an AFL game and as impressive as his physique is, it's not exactly conducive to agility. Do you have any thoughts on him?

I thought they purely watched Yarran and a bit of Adams from West Perth. Thry seemed to write alot of notes on Yarran was it on the hay street end half forward flank 2nd tier?

For me Menagola has all the characteristics to be a good onballer. It could be said he has elite running ability, very good/elite kick, is a big unit for a midfielder and as you said he knows how to find the pill. Had 28 in the last 3 quarters.

Hes already been on the fremantle list. So his card would already be stamped by some. However wont surprise me if eagles move on him as a mature aged rookie.

I also think Menagola has the ability to play as a half back flank/wingman however i believe he lacks a bit in his defensive game and watching his player. Thats his weakness. Speed im not sure either? Avg id say but he makes up for that in other parts of his game

Knightmare why is Clayton Oliver so low on people's lists? I'd take him around 10 or 11. Seriously underrated, IMO.

I base my phantom draft off my feel based in large part particularly early draft on where the media suggest guys will go.

Oliver is inside my power rankings so I'd be prepared before pick 10 to take him myself.

Hey Knightmare,

If you were to compare K Collins to the defenders drafted last year, who would he be most comparable to?

Collins isn't Lever great. Weitering is more this years Lever and probably a slightly better version.

There are no accurate comparisons from last years draft to compare Collins to as none from last year had his 1v1 ability, intercept marking ability and ability to stop while having below average pace at a relatively shorter height. But on draft position he probably goes somewhere give or take five or so positions to where Durdin landed last year, not that they're at all similar with Durdin taller, more versatile and more athletic and Collins the stronger and more solid key defender of the two.
If I had to pick a name from last year Collins is most similar to maybe Hugh Beasley (Brisbane rookie) though that's not a particularly fair comparison as Collins isn't that short and has better intercept marking ability and more strength again while not being that year older as Beasley was.

I see a bit of Daniel Neilson in collin. Neilson bit shorter better athlete but not quite as attacking

Have just caught up on the TAC Cup grand final.

Of those who played strong games.
For Oakleigh: Answerth, T.Phillips, Wenn, B.Crocker, McLarty, Duman. Morgan in the final quarter.
For Eastern: Stephenson, Galluci, Hardwick.
*Of these: McLarty, Duman, Stephenson and Galluci are not of draft age.

In terms of draft stocks. Answerth and T.Phillips while they've produced all year neither did their cases any harm. Wenn was solid and while more a back of mind consideration as a ruckman at least for a VFL list is worth watching for the development of. B.Crocker did his usual thing. Morgan had a big final quarter, whether it gets him drafted who knows but he is someone you'd hope to see again next season if overlooked.

Ryan Clarke for Eastern was the more disappointing player as the guy I was looking to see dominate, but he was well held and unable to have an influence other than that first goal and enthusiastic c'mon that seemed to lift Eastern. Hardwick did his thing though up the ground and at stoppages showed important signs that he needed to show. That may drop his draft stocks from early second round down to later in the second round.

For Oakleigh: Answerth, T.Phillips, Wenn, B.Crocker, McLarty, Duman. Morgan in the final quarter.

In terms of draft stocks. Answerth and T.Phillips while they've produced all year neither did their cases any harm. Wenn was solid and while more a back of mind consideration as a ruckman at least for a VFL list is worth watching for the development of. B.Crocker did his usual thing. Morgan had a big final quarter, whether it gets him drafted who knows but he is someone you'd hope to see again next season if overlooked.

Ryan Clarke for Eastern was the more disappointing player as the guy I was looking to see dominate, but he was well held and unable to have an influence other than that first goal and enthusiastic c'mon that seemed to lift Eastern. Hardwick did his thing though up the ground and at stoppages showed important signs that he needed to show. That may drop his draft stocks from early second round down to later in the second round.
Fraser Pearce comes up well.
Walker showed a bit as well.
Ryan Clarke had his first poor game during the finals.

I thought they purely watched Yarran and a bit of Adams from West Perth. Thry seemed to write alot of notes on Yarran was it on the hay street end half forward flank 2nd tier?

For me Menagola has all the characteristics to be a good onballer. It could be said he has elite running ability, very good/elite kick, is a big unit for a midfielder and as you said he knows how to find the pill. Had 28 in the last 3 quarters.

Hes already been on the fremantle list. So his card would already be stamped by some. However wont surprise me if eagles move on him as a mature aged rookie.

I also think Menagola has the ability to play as a half back flank/wingman however i believe he lacks a bit in his defensive game and watching his player. Thats his weakness. Speed im not sure either? Avg id say but he makes up for that in other parts of his game

Yes, Dom Sheed was sitting a few rows in front of us wearing the black t shirt with gang written on the back.

KM, are you still trying to become a club recruiter? Any luck?

Who was the shut down key defender for oakleigh ? Big brut of a kid , looked a rookie type for mine

Is tom Phillips 19yrs? He looked a good outside type and walker #21 lookd a rookie chance as well

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who was the shut down key defender for oakleigh ? Big brut of a kid , looked a rookie type for mine

Is tom Phillips 19yrs? He looked a good outside type and walker #21 lookd a rookie chance as well
Firns has a national combine invite so he's a late chance. Lockdown key defender, no fuss.

KM, are you still trying to become a club recruiter? Any luck?

Not in clubland but would love the opportunity.

Tom Phillips is that year older. That is correct. He has a really well rounded game and the production is there. So as a late draft selection he is one, and I'd say the same of Answerth who may provide some value to a team.

Firns is probably the guy you're thinking of. Has also at times shown glimpses that he can take some intercept marks. A draft chance.

Definitely. At Fremantle and Hawthorn the general criticism of him was that he was an athlete not a footballer, but this year has certainly dispelled that at state level. Will get a chance somewhere.

Bill Monaghan has come out and said he expects to lose Marcus Adams in the draft. I like Adams as a player, does a good job on a wide range of players, built like the proverbial brick shithouse and super aggressive. Has also shown himself to be adept at both ends of the ground. However, I'm not as bullish as Monaghan is in regards to his AFL prospects because I think clubs will be sceptical of his ability to meet the harsh demands of running out an AFL game and as impressive as his physique is, it's not exactly conducive to agility. Do you have any thoughts on him?

Freo will take Adams wce will take mengola both as rookies if they can.

Chol showing some good signs today Knightmare, think he might sneak up for a second/third rounder bid?

Watching it as we speak on afl.com

Chol is playing incredible football. Ground level work freakish. Showing composure. Incredible in traffic. Skills looking good. Very quick. He is so much improved so if he continues this strong play he can without question rise up the draft order and probably push into the second round.

Chol is playing incredible football. Ground level work freakish. Showing composure. Incredible in traffic. Skills looking good. Very quick. He is so much improved so if he continues this strong play he can without question rise up the draft order and probably push into the second round.
That gather on the wing and then lace out kick was very impressive I thought.

This is the best I've seen him play , usually just moments but today consistency

Good news story for Brisbane which is good

That gather on the wing and then lace out kick was very impressive I thought.

He is showing all the tricks today.

The question with Chol will be best position? At 198cm he may be but isn't certainly a ruckman as you're conceding a bit at centre bounces, and we saw it early with Goddard getting the hitouts over him early, though Chol to his credit adjusted and has leaping ability which puts him in the maybe column.

Just those other elements. That movement, composure. Footskills as you mentioned excellent along with his vision. He has a good mix of traits that with further work and improvement suggests he has a shot at making the grade.

This is the best I've seen him play , usually just moments but today consistency

Good news story for Brisbane which is good

Other games Chol has shown flashes. But likewise. By far and away the best game I've seen him play where he is pretty easily to half time anyway the best and most influential on ground.

Brisbane like GWS really have some names in their academies this year.

The question with Chol will be best position? At 198cm he may be but isn't certainly a ruckman as you're conceding a bit at centre bounces
Same height as Shane Mumford and Mark Blicavs, taller than Patrick Ryder and Stef Martin, and he seems to have a better leap than most of them.

You will retort by saying that Mumford is different because he provides X, and Blicavs is different because he provides Y, but there is evidence that 198cm is absolutely not too short for a ruckman if they can contribute strongly around the ground. Some of them are pretty handy at centre bounces too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back