List Mgmt. List Management 2014 - Contracts, Retirements, Delistings, Trade Bait (Updated in OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure how I feel about MDB being resigned.

I really want Crozier and Duffy to be the players getting matches in his historical spot and you can add Simpson to that list if he is still in the team. I think that all three players lack seasoning but add an X-factor which I just don't see in MDB. To me this seems like a comfortable option. Its a bit like nobody getting fired for recommending Microsoft, you know there are better options but don't want to rock the boat.

Well that's that.

So who gets traded or cut in his place. Much harder to pick now. To be honest I think that I am going to be disappointed now with whoever goes. I had kinda adjusted to the idea he would not be there. To me it finalises the retirement of McPharlin and the delist of Simpson. The only alternative is to see some serious trading. Two slots minimum. So who's on that list?

They were

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/af...-are-diminishing/story-fniv64vs-1227065205227

There is more at the end

FREMANTLE is engaged in a high-stakes list management balancing act in pursuit of an elusive premiership that risks costing the Dockers an extended period in the wilderness, according to list analyst Terry Wallace.

Wallace, a consultant since coaching the Western Bulldogs and Richmond, believes Fremantle can contend for a flag next year but said the club’s hopes were diminishing.

Wallace said paying “overs” for Melbourne free agent James Frawley, who turned 26 yesterday, was a “worthwhile gamble’’ should veteran defender Luke McPharlin retire.

He said Frawley could be critical to keeping the premiership window open while skipper Matthew Pavlich and ruckman Aaron Sandilands continue.

“Let’s say McPharlin retires, I still think there’s enough in Sandilands and Pavlich for another year if they get Frawley as a replacement down that end,’’ Wallace said.

“That balances things out for them for another 12 months. But there’s a gaping hole coming isn’t there? I mean Pavlich is 33 at the start of next year and Sandilands is 32. There’s a big hole coming trying to replace those two.

“I still think they’ve got 12 months in them, but that door is closing and their ability to find the right replacements is going to be key.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/af...-are-diminishing/story-fniv64vs-1227065205227

There is more at the end

FREMANTLE is engaged in a high-stakes list management balancing act in pursuit of an elusive premiership that risks costing the Dockers an extended period in the wilderness, according to list analyst Terry Wallace.

Wallace, a consultant since coaching the Western Bulldogs and Richmond, believes Fremantle can contend for a flag next year but said the club’s hopes were diminishing.

Wallace said paying “overs” for Melbourne free agent James Frawley, who turned 26 yesterday, was a “worthwhile gamble’’ should veteran defender Luke McPharlin retire.

He said Frawley could be critical to keeping the premiership window open while skipper Matthew Pavlich and ruckman Aaron Sandilands continue.

“Let’s say McPharlin retires, I still think there’s enough in Sandilands and Pavlich for another year if they get Frawley as a replacement down that end,’’ Wallace said.

“That balances things out for them for another 12 months. But there’s a gaping hole coming isn’t there? I mean Pavlich is 33 at the start of next year and Sandilands is 32. There’s a big hole coming trying to replace those two.

“I still think they’ve got 12 months in them, but that door is closing and their ability to find the right replacements is going to be key.

This just in: Wallace still an incompetent f#@&wit parading as an expert in order to keep his name in peoples minds and thus stay in the lucrative speaking circuit*. Ideas still based around a combination of traditional footy cliches, short term pattern analysis and opinions copy pasted off Bigfooty...

*this is literally what he does. (it is dull and colourless I can report, although maybe I wasn't drunk enough)

Last edited:

There is more at the end

That' stating the bleeding obvious if I have ever seen it.

I thought the last part was reasonable.

“That’s the position that Fremantle’s in. And on what we saw with St Kilda and the Bulldogs, there are no guarantees.’’

Wallace believed Fremantle’s strategy was more akin to Hawthorn’s than Sydney’s, in that it involved laying a base by drafting top-end talent and then filling specific needs with experienced players.

Wallace said the claim that Lyon had left the Saints’ list in a mess when he walked out in 2011 was too simplistic and overlooked the club’s recruiting failures.

“To say Ross left St Kilda in a horrible position is a bit of overkill for mine,’’ he said.

“Ross missed out by a bounce of the ball twice (in grand finals with St Kilda).

“I can understand the (Lyon) philosophy completely and I think if you could guarantee the premiership, the supporter base would wear the pain of a six-year downturn.”

If we are pushing for a flag, I think we need to go into the draft looking for a few ready made players.

Josh Glenn who is 19-20 and has played SANFL for the last 2 years would hit the ground running. He would be good reliable lock down defender who has good skills.

Brett Eddy (3rd tall) and Sam Grimley (Ruck\fwd) have both had big years in the SANFL and VFL respectively, they have kicked 70+ goals each and would add options to our forward line.

Brett Eddy would be available as a late pick, but I think Sam Grimley would need our 2nd rounder to get him from the Hawks which I would like to use to get Josh Glenn.

So to get both players, we would need to trade some players out to get some more picks.

Ideally this could leave us with Hugh Goddard, Josh Glenn, Sam Grimley, Brett Eddy and maybe James Frawley.

To get this, I think we could afford to trade either Griffin or Hannath, and one of the mid's like C Pearce, Suban or de Boer.

If we did this, I think our Key positions would be set for 5 years and we could go back to the draft for Mid's next year.

There is more at the end

The article is not quoting Wallace. He's absolutely correct, we do have a challenge on our hands, no more than any other team in the league though. The draft is designed to penalise teams that finish at the top, as St Kilda and Doggies did. Hawks are in real trouble when their big guns go. What's new? Nothing article really.

i forget which show it was but a couple of months back they were interviewing the people involved at the saints during Ross's tenure amongst over things and it was made abundantly clear that there were failing in their drafting which had zero to do with Ross, but let's not truth get in the way of a good story.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is more at the end

Does Wallace realse that our most successful year came when we had both Pav and Sandi out for virutally the entire home and away season? When Pav goes, Tabs will be in his fourth year and the Apeman his third. Frawley can also go forward if Silvagni steps up and secures his place in the back six.

Does Wallace realse that our most successful year came when we had both Pav and Sandi out for virutally the entire home and away season? When Pav goes, Tabs will be in his fourth year and the Apeman his third. Frawley can also go forward if Silvagni steps up and secures his place in the back six.
Not having opinions ain't gunna pay for his spray tans..

Liam Anthony belongs on WCE's list.
Just saying have a look at his VFL stats this year, especially clearances and tackles. One of the main issues we had this year is we didn't have enough backup to positions so people like Clarke, D Pearce, etc never felt threatened that they would lose their spot. We need to be in a position where there are 8-10 people pushing legitimately to get into the team and then those in the team will lift their performance each week.

Just saying have a look at his VFL stats this year, especially clearances and tackles. One of the main issues we had this year is we didn't have enough backup to positions so people like Clarke, D Pearce, etc never felt threatened that they would lose their spot. We need to be in a position where there are 8-10 people pushing legitimately to get into the team and then those in the team will lift their performance each week.

His stats hide the fact he is terrible disposing of it, with average decision making. DPearce isn't going to feel his spot is under pressure with Liam Anthony running around for Peel.

He isn't going to improve us at all, it's as simple as that. I know it's the off season but can we stop suggesting picking up other team's crap?

I know it's the off season but can we stop suggesting picking up other team's crap?

The challenge is sifting through what their existing clubs consider is crap (or surplus to their needs perhaps) and finding gems like Kennedy, McGlynn and even Lake who filled a hole at the Hawks.

In his presser after the Port loss when things were still very raw, the Boss flagged for this offseason what I interpreted as an aggressive improvement of the list via free agency, trading & drafting using Sydney as his reference point. The Frawley pitch is in line with addressing the Key Position issue.

What I find interesting is that there appear to be only 3 reductions to our list at present (Gumbleton, Keplar and possibly MacPharlin) so not a lot of room made just yet for additions to the list. More to come there I'd expect.

With limited free agency options, seemingly we're going to have to find the cheap gems amongst the crap, be aggressive at the trade table and/or realistically, develop from within. And if aggressive with trading, our surplus needs are maybe Griffin, Suban, de Boer and C.Pearce - not sure how much perceived value there is amongst those. Aggressive as I see it might mean cutting deeper into the list (e.g. Clarke).

The challenge is sifting through what their existing clubs consider is crap (or surplus to their needs perhaps) and finding gems like Kennedy, McGlynn and even Lake who filled a hole at the Hawks.

In his presser after the Port loss when things were still very raw, the Boss flagged for this offseason what I interpreted as an aggressive improvement of the list via free agency, trading & drafting using Sydney as his reference point. The Frawley pitch is in line with addressing the Key Position issue.

What I find interesting is that there appear to be only 3 reductions to our list at present (Gumbleton, Keplar and possibly MacPharlin) so not a lot of room made just yet for additions to the list. More to come there I'd expect.

With limited free agency options, seemingly we're going to have to find the cheap gems amongst the crap, be aggressive at the trade table and/or realistically, develop from within. And if aggressive with trading, our surplus needs are maybe Griffin, Suban, de Boer and C.Pearce - not sure how much perceived value there is amongst those. Aggressive as I see it might mean cutting deeper into the list (e.g. Clarke).

I would say Josh Simpson is possibly out and Sam Menegola as well. In fact they could delist both and perhaps rookie list Josh, effectively reducing the main list by one.

This just in: Wallace still an incompetent f#@&wit parading as an expert in order to keep his name in peoples minds and thus stay in the lucrative speaking circuit*. Ideas still based around a combination of traditional footy cliches, short term pattern analysis and opinions copy pasted off Bigfooty...

*this is literally what he does. (it is dull and colourless I can report, although maybe I wasn't drunk enough)

Outstanding post in its accuracy.

Clancee Pearce>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Liam Anthony. I like the Anthony to West Coast suggestion, would fit in well with their unskilled plodders.

What about this Panos guy who starred in the SANFL grand final. Has had AFL experience so would be keen for a second chance, started as a forward and now midfield, 193cm so just the size midfielder we like to have .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back