Traded Michael Talia [traded to Sydney w/ pick 69 for a 2016 round-four draft selection]

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, pretty categorical that he did nothing wrong.

I mean Cheney obviously told a pretty funny joke, so funny he stood by his joke when speaking to Luke Beveridge twice. Maybe a career in stand-up awaits after his AFL career concludes?

Nothing suspect about Michael "losing" his phone and Daniel "deleting" his messages either.

Nothing suspicious at all

Yeah, pretty categorical that he did nothing wrong.

I mean Cheney obviously told a pretty funny joke, so funny he stood by his joke when speaking to Luke Beveridge twice. Maybe a career in stand-up awaits after his AFL career concludes?

Nothing suspect about Michael "losing" his phone and Daniel "deleting" his messages either.

Nothing suspicious at all

I can't believe how pathetic the Bulldogs management has been over this.

They've almost crippled Michael's career - he surely has grounds for legal action.

And for what ends? Chaney puts some mayo on a story about brothers chatting before a game - what impact did the Bulldogs really think a conversation could have had?

Chaney was embarrassed by his exaggerations and gets caught out. Clearly an idiot, and frankly may have damaged his own AFL career with his actions.

And the Bulldogs are still clinging onto the fact that Daniel Talia deletes messages from his brother like its a smoking gun?

I can't believe how pathetic the Bulldogs management has been over this.

They've almost crippled Michael's career - he surely has grounds for legal action.

And for what ends? Chaney puts some mayo on a story about brothers chatting before a game - what impact did the Bulldogs really think a conversation could have had?

Chaney was embarrassed by his exaggerations and gets caught out. Clearly an idiot, and frankly may have damaged his own AFL career with his actions.

And the Bulldogs are still clinging onto the fact that Daniel Talia deletes messages from his brother like its a smoking gun?

Haha.

You really buy that Cheney was joking? Why would he then confirm it was true to Luke Beveridge???

Legal action is obviously ridiculous, but if there was it would be against Cheney.

Haha.

You really buy that Cheney was joking? Why would he then confirm it was true to Luke Beveridge???

Legal action is obviously ridiculous, but if there was it would be against Cheney.

If that is the case then why did he back down now?

Regardless of what actually happened Cheney now looks like an idiot.

Haha.

Beveridge: did you speak to an ex-teammate and tell him the Talia's exchanged messages about the game?

Cheney: uh, yeah?

Beveridge: Duh duh duhhhh!

Cheney: ... did you just start underscoring this conversation?

We don't know the conversation that Cheney and Beveridge had. Obviously, it wasn't "the Talia brothers exchanged a series of text messages about the Bulldogs strategy and the Crows adapted their tactics because of this inside knowledge."

If it WAS that, the Crows wouldn't have been smashed in that first quarter, like they were, and frankly the AFL wouldn't have wrapped up the investigation with a clear ruling of innocence.

In any event - there's no evidence anything was discussed, and no evidence it impacted the game. The only outcome from all of this is the damage to Michael Talia's reputation and career.

The only outcome from all of this is the damage to Michael Talia's reputation and career.

If Cheney did lie (3 times and both Talias phones coincidentally became inaccessible), it's not the Western Bulldogs to blame, it is Kyle Cheney.

To help his team mate. To make it go away.

Why would he tell Beveridge something happened twice if it didn't? How could that possibly be a joke?

Then why stop now? That excuse is so flimsy, more like Beveridge massively overreacted and the whole bunch of them now look like fools.

Then why stop now? That excuse is so flimsy, more like Beveridge massively overreacted and the whole bunch of them now look like fools.

Why stop now??? So his teammate and teammates brother get off?

All the dogs did is follow the process as outlined by the AFL. The flimsy excuses are Michaels phone vanishing and Daniel deleting his text messages, just all coincidence I guess.

Why stop now??? So his teammate and teammates brother get off?

All the dogs did is follow the process as outlined by the AFL. The flimsy excuses are Michaels phone vanishing and Daniel deleting his text messages, just all coincidence I guess.

That doesn't make any sense though, if that were true then he would never had said anything in the first place. If he was so concerned for his teammate then he would never have said anything in the first place.

You're sticking up for your club so I understand your pov but the reality is that the dogs now look silly.

That doesn't make any sense though, if that were true then he would never had said anything in the first place. If he was so concerned for his teammate then he would never have said anything in the first place.

You're sticking up for your club so I understand your pov but the reality is that the dogs now look silly.

When he said it to Stratton in the first place he wouldn't have known that Stratton would report what he said and an investigation would follow.

If it was a joke why would he have not just said so when asked by Beveridge and became aware that an investigation was commencing? Because he found it funny?

When he said it to Stratton in the first place he wouldn't have known that Stratton would report what he said and an investigation would follow.

If it was a joke why would he have not just said so when asked by Beveridge and became aware that an investigation was commencing? Because he found it funny?

I have no idea why you're getting so upset by it but if all you say is true then why would he suddenly change his story? Your excuse of helping his teammate doesn't make sense, if that were true then he would have stopped as soon as the situation got out of hand.

Massive overreaction by the bulldogs in a clear attempt to ruin the reputation of a kid who obviously decided he didn't want to be there anymore. Sour grapes and all that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your excuse of helping his teammate doesn't make sense, if that were true then he would have stopped as soon as the situation got out of hand.

Everyone has their own perspective. To me it doesn't make sense that if it weren't true, he would have confirmed it as true to Beveridge. I'm yet to to see any good reason why he would confirm it as true?

As I've repeatedly said, I don't believe it had any impact on the result. I just don't think the Dogs have done anything wrong, we followed the correct AFL protocols.

If it's not true Cheney has done something writing. If it is true, Michael Talia has. I don't think the Crows or Dogs as a club have done anything wrong.

No - because he couldn't have possibly imagined the mountain this molehill became.

Think about it, ffs. This is two players, who once played together at Hawthorn, talking about a game between two different clubs. Players from different clubs talk about the game all the time, including brothers. That's not the same as football industry espionage, or whatever is being claimed.

Frankly, Beveridge and the Bulldogs come off as absolute sore losers in the whole scenario.

Clearly - even if a discussion occurred, it had no impact on the game because the Bulldogs smashed the Crows in that opening quarter and could have easily been five goals up.

Hang on, hang on.... do you guys have some sort of access to the conversations Cheney had with Stratton and either subsequently had with Beveridge? Is there a media release / story on all of this? Likewise that messages were definitively deleted / lost?

Seems like a lot of saving face from Western Bulldogs supporters, which means nothing really, and a club who albeit followed AFL protocol, but subsequently threw one of their young players (in a position of dire need, but on the fringe) under the bus and hence lost his trust and services.

On topic, think Sydney have got themselves a decent prospect to work with and they have a great record in this department so will look forward to Michael's progress. I have met him a few times and always track his progress, hope he does well and puts this s**t behind him. Think the Doggies botched this one, no matter how well he goes in Sydney.

Talia was already gone. Had refused a contract offer and wanted out because guys like Joel Hamling had gone past him.

He might do a ted Richards and become serviceable, or he might continue to struggle at state level

Hang on, hang on.... do you guys have some sort of access to the conversations Cheney had with Stratton and either subsequently had with Beveridge? Is there a media release / story on all of this? Likewise that messages were definitively deleted / lost?

Seems like a lot of saving face from Western Bulldogs supporters, which means nothing really, and a club who albeit followed AFL protocol, but subsequently threw one of their young players (in a position of dire need, but on the fringe) under the bus and hence lost his trust and services.

On topic, think Sydney have got themselves a decent prospect to work with and they have a great record in this department so will look forward to Michael's progress. I have met him a few times and always track his progress, hope he does well and puts this s**t behind him. Think the Doggies botched this one, no matter how well he goes in Sydney.

Caro's article states Cheney confirmed his story twice with Beveridge. He only played the "I was joking line" when interviewed by the AFL

Everyone has their own perspective. To me it doesn't make sense that if it weren't true, he would have confirmed it as true to Beveridge. I'm yet to to see any good reason why he would confirm it as true?

As I've repeatedly said, I don't believe it had any impact on the result. I just don't think the Dogs have done anything wrong, we followed the correct AFL protocols.

If it's not true Cheney has done something writing. If it is true, Michael Talia has. I don't think the Crows or Dogs as a club have done anything wrong.

I've thought it through a bit more and I agree with you. The reality is that regardless of what actually happened Cheney has done the wrong thing, either by telling porkies in the first place or by not following through with the truth. Because of his actions all the other parties look stupid.

Confirms *if* this was all just a big joke he had two chances to own up to it before it went any further.

And Cheney? According to the AFL's integrity unit, he had two chances when questioned early in the piece by the reportedly highly emotional Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge but failed to come clean that he was being light hearted about the so-called brotherly collision.

Rucci has weighed in as well.

http://m.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/a...chelangelo-rucci/story-fnia3gpe-1227619010338

No matter where the truth lies Cheney has a lot to answer

Yeah though Cheney might be taking the fall on this one.

My take is regardless of how guilty Talia is, the Dogs should've sat on it to get best trade value for him. Remove the bad egg and move on. AFL system and integrity don't really go hand in hand.

Seems like such a storm in a teacup. Why are the parties getting so caught up in the wording of the release statement? There's obviously nothing of substance to ping them on or even say to what extent the information helped the crows. I feel bad for Michael Talia and hope he gets a fresh start at Sydney with no black marks next to his name.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back