Live Event Mid Season Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

View attachment 681736

Based on this, I dare say we can just give him an outright 2 year contract extension now.

So the players picked may not need to be drafted. They can just get contract extensions.

You can, but in this instance, the reason some Vic clubs never drafted him previously was due to a very high "go home" factor given he has such a young family. The bonus of this arrangement is that you get to understand if he'll hang in for the longer term. Could well be a cracking recruit if his family can adjust.

Is it fair to top up some teams mid season ? Yes they have injuries , but so has every team as long as footy has been played , it's the fall of the dice

Doesn't seem an even playing field to me

Every team had the same opportunity.

So the AFL create a mid season draft. They put rules in place. Clubs follow the rules. Yet are rotting the system. The AFL world is cut throat. Clubs were always going to use this to better themselves long term. There probably aren’t too many state league players who could step straight into the AFL straight up. There will be exceptions.
Integrity would be questioned if a player faked and injury to slide.

My club to a player from the u18 competition. I would have understood if those players were not eligible.

That might be your position, but you've seen some of your ilk in the 'no oppo' threads. You seriously going to say that if the shoe wasn't on the other foot right now, that others wouldn't be crying out bloody murder?

I'll say it one last time, I'm happy he got drafted as he deserves a second chance. I'm not happy that he replaced someone under the guise of 'getting in a ready made player to bolster the list' when it's a clear example of it not being the case.

You’d have more credibility if you didn’t sook up so much about Richmond. We’re one of the clubs that actually brought a mature player in.

Feels like you should be more salty about the clubs that took the younger players in the draft. But for some reason you’re not.

This has already been answered. Keep up
Zero cred. Epic melt. Go lie down.

"I'm just going to concentrate on getting my finger right in eight weeks, then we'll go from there." - Marlion Pickett, on radio this morning.

You’d have more credibility if you didn’t sook up so much about Richmond. We’re one of the clubs that actually brought a mature player in.

Feels like you should be more salty about the clubs that took the younger players in the draft. But for some reason you’re not.

No-one else brought in an injured player, lol. I am 'salty' about that side of it too, but at least they're fit and healthy, so could fill a need if an injury crisis strikes anytime soon. Pickett can't do that...as he's injured. I have said it umpteen times, I'm happy he got a shot, just think that his case specifically exposes how much of a farce this whole mid-season draft was in the first place.

I would be saying the same if this was any other club (including my own)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That might be your position, but you've seen some of your ilk in the 'no oppo' threads. You seriously going to say that if the shoe wasn't on the other foot right now, that others wouldn't be crying out bloody murder?

I'll say it one last time, I'm happy he got drafted as he deserves a second chance. I'm not happy that he replaced someone under the guise of 'getting in a ready made player to bolster the list' when it's a clear example of it not being the case.
But it is a clear case of that happening. Grigg was forced into retirement after trying to get better over the last 8 months. He wasn't able to so he retired and we're one player short so we picked up Pickett who could very well play games towards the end of the season.

Had we picked up a kid unlikely to play this year but was touted as a possible early round draftee then your argument would have had more weight.

No-one else brought in an injured player, lol. I am 'salty' about that side of it too, but at least they're fit and healthy, so could fill a need if an injury crisis strikes anytime soon. Pickett can't do that...as he's injured. I have said it umpteen times, I'm happy he got a shot, just think that his case specifically exposes how much of a farce this whole mid-season draft was in the first place.

Where does it say he has to play right away? He can still be injury cover in the last four weeks of the season. It’s not binary that he must be available to play immediately to be drafted. The younger players are just as much of a chance if not less of making their senior debuts this year.

Your argument is contradictory and self defeating.

Are you Theresa May? You don't give in...what a pointless low brow rant.

Marlon is a WAFL player who has missed countless drafts and only recently was overlooked again. Why so mad mate, the likelihood is he may never play a game for us FFS.

And in reality, we just did you guys a favor. It might make Tim Kelly happier to stay in Vic.

But you haven't said it about any other club, it's pretty much been about Richmond and Pickett.

BTW if you think Geelong didn't have a long discussion about putting player/s on the LTI before the draft you're kidding yourself.

Mate, you’re barking up the wrong tree. Richmond are not the right team to complain about. The fact you’re targeting Richmond makes you look partisan.

There were 5 18 year-olds drafted, all of whom would be eligible for the regular draft and none of whom have any chance of playing this year. These are the rorts you should be concerning yourself with if you don’t want to be ridiculed.

If he plays this year, I'll rescind my statement. 'Til then, if it looks like a duck...

It's a broken finger, not a broken leg. He will definitely have a chance to play in the last month or so of the year if his fitness and form warrants it. Is ready-made, we didn't do anything that was 'not in the spirit of the game'. We recruited him for the now (2 months or so for his finger to heal) and the future coming years.

It's meant to be used to replace an injured player on the LTI list. Replacing an injured player with another injured player is just dodgy af. Not meant to be a 'free hit' just so clubs can get someone in they like the look of. If he hadn't of broken his finger, then you guys most likely wouldn't have been first to draft him - Essendon being a good example of this:

https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl/es...n-mondays-mid-season-afl-draft-ng-b881208985z

If you don't see the lack of integrity that's on display here, I feel sorry for you

No, i feel sorry for you, just another salty Cats supporter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back