Roast Next year's Membership

Remove this Banner Ad

Even if I dont purchase a membership, I'm still gonna turn up to games. It's too hard not to. I dont even cry over my exes, I cried over this club
Love the passion brother but I have to ask, why turn up to games and support the pockets of the AFL rather than the football club that means the world to you? We're not a big club, we don't have 100,000 members. We need the supporters to rally around the club in a tough time on field, as hard as it might be. Every membership makes a difference.

I'll never stop supporting St Kilda, I love 'em to death and no football club can survive without the fans. I understand why people would feel like they shouldn't make a financial contribution to the club whilst we're struggling but I completely disagree with it.

If you love the club you'll support them through thick and thin, simple as that. Blaming the coach or the captain for everything that's supposedly wrong with the club is a pretty irrational thing to say in my opinion - that's not attacking one person, I know a lot of people here feel that way.

Record membership :heavycheck:
Move back to Moorabbin with top quality facilities :heavycheck:
Involved in the Good Friday appeal game :heavycheck:
Involved in the Pride Game :heavycheck:
Maddie's Match :heavycheck:
VFLW team with an AFLW side on the way :heavycheck:
New sponsors :heavycheck:

The club must be doing something right even if it hasn't gone our way on field this year. Massive knee-jerk reaction in my opinion.
Mate I will never stop supporting them either. This is just my way of making a stand that the decisions made over the last 2 years and performances have been unacceptable

As soon as the right decisions are made I'll spend the 300 odd that I usually do. Don't care if that's in round 23 next year. It's more so the principal.

We deserve better.

Love the passion brother but I have to ask, why turn up to games and support the pockets of the AFL rather than the football club that means the world to you? We're not a big club, we don't have 100,000 members. We need the supporters to rally around the club in a tough time on field, as hard as it might be. Every membership makes a difference.
I probably just end of buying a membership regardless. The guilt of not supporting something you love is too much. Like everyone else, we're going through a tough time with lot of doubts and high emotions.

Yes mate but he is away at the moment. And I reckon the club gets enough people calling to complain - they would know the issues that they are facing. With all due respect I don't think sending them anything will do much. They have backed Richo all year.
How is the campaigner going over there? I feel tired thinking of swimming the English Channel, let alone doing it.

One of the most stupid posts I have ever read. Cast your mind back to 2016 when we almost made the finals. Missed by percentage I believe and actually would have made the top 8 if the umpire had not cost us the game against North......Remember? We were all in shock at how quickly we rose off the bottom of the ladder. Unfortunately it was a false dawn. We needed to stay in the bottom 4 for another 3 years and lap up more top 10 picks because of all the bad recruiting that had happened with Lyon (and Watters for that matter). If you analyse our list we have very good youth (24 and under), but we don't have the quality of senior players other teams do. It's not the coaches fault it's the clubs fault for telling everyone that we would be top 4 by 2018. I hope the new List Manager realizes that we should still be rebuilding for another 3 years before we even start thinking about top 4. With this in mind I personably would trade Jack Steven IF, and only IF, we could get a pick close to the top 10 for him. I know he is our best player but he is nearing 30. If Collingwood, Hawthorn and Geelong finish 4th, 5th and 6th respectively they might be tempted to trade their first pick for him. Especially if we pay 25% of his contract. We then would go to the Draft with picks 3 and 12ish. Then next year I would do the same with Carlisle. Cash him in to IF and only IF we get a pick close to the top 10. If we do this and nail the picks then I will be confident that from 2022 onwards we would be a 'Real' threat for the premiership.
Lol.

Nexus, our list is ready for finals. I'm not overreacting by saying that. We need some tweaks here and there, and we be fine. As you stated we almost made it the last two seasons, that was no fluke mate. This year, we lost experience in Roo, Joey, Dempster (around the club), cursed by form and injuries, we had certain expectations on players which didn't live up (Billings, Weller, Newnes..etc). We also implemented a new gameplan, which our players struggled to adapt to for many reasons. I genuinely think the frustration of the failure this season and failing to meet the expectations set by fans and the club as lend to us wanting to sack the coach, get rid of coaches, get rid of players.

Without Steven & Carlisle, we wouldn't even beat Carlton mate.

It would be a shame to see all that good work in attracting new members go into reverse, but it's inevitable in every sport that struggling teams see attendances fall. The hardcore remain in all circumstances, but a lot of fans want something in return, which is hardly unreasonable. The club has a huge decision to make regarding Richo and the impact keeping him might have on memberships. Changes in the playing list will also be required. Saints supporters could never be accused of being fair weather fans, but they deserve better than this.

I don't blame people if they jump off. The times we live in are not exactly cheap and most people are not exactly seeing pay rises. For many it's going to be a choice of paying for what is effectively a sub standard product or use that 300 plus dollars on something else. I do wonder if the club understands that?
These days there is so much more choice on spending that money. This isn't 1980 where the only thing on during the weekend was the footy.

Last edited:
How is the campaigner going over there? I feel tired thinking of swimming the English Channel, let alone doing it.
No idea but I reckon enjoying life more than if he were here!

I'll still buy one but it's got height of insanity to do so. We are essentially paying the salaries of the frauds that have mismanaged our club and now have the audacity to blame the players they have drafted.

Look no ones saying they have stopped supporting the saints. They have stopped supporting this what this utterly incompetent management is doing to our club.
It's fair enough imo.
No its not. We have had one actual terrible year and people are an inch from frothing at the mouth. Meanwhile the club is actually making moves to make important coaching changes to fix the deficiencies in the way we play and this forum is god damned unreadable due to the echo chamber its become.

If we literally have no improvement over this year after the off season then its time to really start demanding answers but we are far from there. No we arent just going to do a Richmond and win a flag next year but its damn obvious where our deficiencies lie if you're not a ******* moron and the club is making an effort to fix that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No its not. We have had one actual terrible year and people are an inch from frothing at the mouth. Meanwhile the club is actually making moves to make important coaching changes to fix the deficiencies in the way we play and this forum is god damned unreadable due to the echo chamber its become.

If we literally have no improvement over this year after the off season then its time to really start demanding answers but we are far from there. No we arent just going to do a Richmond and win a flag next year but its damn obvious where our deficiencies lie if you're not a ******* moron and the club is making an effort to fix that.

Bit rough on yourself there mate since the obvious deficiencies lie in the Senior coach and you are defending him.
What they are doing is trying to save face by putting a bandaid over a cut artery.

You wanted us to stay in the bottom four for longer? Are you a St.Kilda supporter?

Trade Jack Steven and Jake Carlisle, our two best players, for top 10 picks. And what if we don't nail those picks. It's not a guarantee we get two stars with those picks. If we don't nail them we will be worse.

And you call the posters post that you replied to stupid. Come off it.
You have to be strategic if you want to win the premiership. Jack Steven will be 30 soon. Trade him now IF we can get a pick near the top 10. Nail that pick and when our window opens in 2022 we will have a gun 22 year old instead of a 34 year old Jack Steven. Me personally, anyone that is 26 or over as at next year is tradeable provided we get overs. To sum up, if we were to cash in Steven for pick 15 or better I would do it. If we were to cash in Carlisle for a top 10 pick I would do it. We are not going to win a premiership before 2022 so I would rather sacrifice the now for the then (2022 and beyond).

You have to be strategic if you want to win the premiership. Jack Steven will be 30 soon. Trade him now IF we can get a pick near the top 10. Nail that pick and when our window opens in 2022 we will have a gun 22 year old instead of a 34 year old Jack Steven. Me personally, anyone that is 26 or over as at next year is tradeable provided we get overs. To sum up, if we were to cash in Steven for pick 15 or better I would do it. If we were to cash in Carlisle for a top 10 pick I would do it. We are not going to win a premiership before 2022 so I would rather sacrifice the now for the then (2022 and beyond).
I don't know why I bother entertaining such a ridiculous strategy but anyway.

You do realise if those two picks don't come on it will set us back even further. We would be the laughing stock of the AFL if we traded our two best players.

Imagine the loss of membership, sponsorship and overall sales if we got rid of those two. We wouldn't win a game. Haha.

And what does it say to the rest of the playing group. They would be livid. Once they are 30 we turf them out the door. Some culture we'd have. Nobody would want to come to us.

I don't know why I bother entertaining such a ridiculous strategy but anyway.

You do realise if those two picks don't come on it will set us back even further. We would be the laughing stock of the AFL if we traded our two best players.

Imagine the loss of membership, sponsorship and overall sales if we got rid of those two. We wouldn't win a game. Haha.
We are already a laughing stock. I would NOT do both of them this year. Steven this year and Carlisle next year. I get it that it's a risk but if we don't do it then we will be stuck in the bottom half for another 4 years anyway. It's all about maximising our chances from 2022 onwards. Will we do any worse next year without Steven? I don't think so. With or without him we will be bottom 5 again. Then a year later I would cash in Carlisle. By then Austin and Goddard will both be ready. It's strategic decision that we must make. We have nothing to lose because our list is simply not good enough at the top end. We need more quality youth to come through together. The lead up to our dominant era from 2008 - 2011 was a coming together of established older stars and youth. This time we don't have the enough quality established stars for that to happen again. That's why the 2 that we do have need to be cashed in so more youth come through together. That's the best I can explain my reasoning. Is it risky...hell yes. But the alternative is worse IMHO.

We are already a laughing stock.
No we are not.

I would NOT do both of them this year. Steven this year and Carlisle next year. I get it that it's a risk but if we don't do it then we will be stuck in the bottom half for another 4 years anyway.
And if we do it and blunder the picks or the players we pick don't come on as we'd like we'll be stuck in the bottom half for another 8 years.

It's all about maximising our chances from 2022 onwards. Will we do any worse next year without Steven? I don't think so. With or without him we will be bottom 5 again. Then a year later I would cash in Carlisle. By then Austin and Goddard will both be ready. It's strategic decision that we must make. We have nothing to lose because our list is simply not good enough at the top end. We need more quality youth to come through together. The lead up to our dominant era from 2008 - 2011 was a coming together of established older stars and youth. This time we don't have the enough quality established stars for that to happen again. That's why the 2 that we do have need to be cashed in so more youth come through together. That's the best I can explain my reasoning. Is it risky...hell yes. But the alternative is worse IMHO.
Why 2022. Things turn quickly in football but trading our two best players guarantees we will be down the bottom for another 5 years as opposed to keeping them, getting young talent this year, rebuilding the football department and potentially challenging by 2020. History is littered with teams that turned it around quickly.

How do you know Austin & Goddard will be ready. What have they shown us so far to suggest they will be in our best 22 in four years time. Goddard's been on the list four years and hasn't done much. Austin barely seen him at all. It's not a strategic decision. It's ludicrous. What rebuilding side in AFL history has traded out their two best players. None of them. We have everything to lose. We will not win a game if we get rid of them and the hit we will take on membership, sponsorship, game day ticket sales and everything in between will be significant. We didn't gut Harvey Loewe Burke Hudghton before we became a dominant side in the late 00's, did we. 2008-2011 was a coming together of established older stars and youth but you want to go and trade anyone who is 30 in four years time. We have limited on field leadership as it is imagine if we went and did what you're suggesting.

The alternative is not worse. The alternative is being more creative with the picks we have and the players looking to leave rather than turfing out two stars that love the football club. The alternative to what you're suggesting is far, far better.

Can't imagine how toxic the football club would become if we were that ruthless that we give lip service to those who have represented our club so well for a very long time. You don't treat people like that. Imagine the domino effect it will have on players reaching a similar age in the future. Worrying about if the club is going to trade them irrespective of their form just because they are at a certain age. Jesus christ. What kind of club would we be. And then you can forget about bringing anyone into the club via trade or free agency.

"Yeah look Jack you've just won your fourth best & fairest but in four years time you're going to be a bit older and for some strange reason we think we're going to contend for our second premiership. I know you've played 200 games for us and deserve to be in a St.Kilda premiership side but eh, you're going to be 30. We found a club that'll give us the 10th pick in the draft so we'll be trading you for that and hoping that this 18 year old kid that hasn't played an AFL game turns into a superstar. Cheers for your services Jack! Goodbye"

Very funny!

Ill be a member next year, it will be a development year, like this year should have been, and I am also interested to see how we would look with Bruce, Long, hopefully Robbo back in the side.
Also keen to see 20 games for Hunter, Coff, Freeze, Phillips maybs even Paton etc.
Need players who can use the ball well and move us forward, average skilled players like Newnes, Sav, Geary, Mav, Armo are getting us no where.

i will still stay a member, feel like the club needs more support than ever.

i could only manage 4 games this year though (sporting commitments and thought we were not a chance against certain teams) with 2 of the games (north good friday utter joke of a game seriously they gave up against the mean north players it was pathetic) and this footscray game which just as repulsively pathetic.

My membership costs $800 per year with the Level 2 reserved seat etc. I'm over this mob. I'll rejoin but for the basic membership only which I can take out any time of the year. That way they get the membership stat but not my hard earned- they don't deserve it. This club takes its members for granted

We have few s**t seasons and supporters drop off and complain.
We come good and supporters jump back on and feel good.
Its just
tenor.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back