Roast Next year's Membership

Remove this Banner Ad

If you combined our current team with that one, Carlisle would get a gig, Steven for sure, and maybe Roberton. Toss up in the ruck.

Who was our ruck then ? I can’t pick him in the photo.

Go Saints

just on this ... lets just consider a couple of points i might be wrong but someone who is a memorabilia buff might be able to help...
firstly that jumper would have come with a Certificate of Authenticity am i right ?
ok so let me explain my understanding of the AFL rules on memorabilia.. i believe the AFL dictates there is only a certain amount of genuine signed items the club is allowed to sell, i think it was in place to stop clubs doing dodgy under the table payments for signed memorabilia and players making money outside of their AFL wages for memorabilia... in turn you will find the signatures on non CoA peices (eg jumpers signed at training) is different to the signatures on CoA peices...
so back to your issue as this jumper has a CoA the club would have to be very careful about getting that signed as that CoA is to signify it is a player jumper not a fake but the CoA isnt to signify its an offical signature ..
if you were to say sell the jumper with a "training" signature on a CoA playing jumper you would be de-valuing the jumper
if you were to sell the jumper with the CoA and a "training" signature then you are misleading the buyer and pretty much every memorabilia dealer will say its now a fake ...

so i dont think in any way at all is the club being negative to you and not wanting to help you but it is a pretty sticky area that you have asked them to help you in ... remember the fines that the club can face for breaching AFL rules is huge sso as much as the average punter would look at your request as being reasonable there is much much more to it .. i think you would find EVERY club would face the same issue, its unfortunate but this is the world we live in now where simple things are much more complex ...

trust me our club does care very deeply for its members and where it can it does do a mountain of work for our members its just some things they cant do..

viable, but surely they could have explained that to him then

viable, but surely they could have explained that to him then
i dunno maybe they did maybe they didnt ... maybe the person he asked didnt know the whole process and just got told to say no they cant ... theres lots of questions that would need to be looked at to find out why... the point remains though the club are not as the OP said neglecting members and fans

just on this ... lets just consider a couple of points i might be wrong but someone who is a memorabilia buff might be able to help...
firstly that jumper would have come with a Certificate of Authenticity am i right ?
ok so let me explain my understanding of the AFL rules on memorabilia.. i believe the AFL dictates there is only a certain amount of genuine signed items the club is allowed to sell, i think it was in place to stop clubs doing dodgy under the table payments for signed memorabilia and players making money outside of their AFL wages for memorabilia... in turn you will find the signatures on non CoA peices (eg jumpers signed at training) is different to the signatures on CoA peices...
so back to your issue as this jumper has a CoA the club would have to be very careful about getting that signed as that CoA is to signify it is a player jumper not a fake but the CoA isnt to signify its an offical signature ..
if you were to say sell the jumper with a "training" signature on a CoA playing jumper you would be de-valuing the jumper
if you were to sell the jumper with the CoA and a "training" signature then you are misleading the buyer and pretty much every memorabilia dealer will say its now a fake ...

so i dont think in any way at all is the club being negative to you and not wanting to help you but it is a pretty sticky area that you have asked them to help you in ... remember the fines that the club can face for breaching AFL rules is huge sso as much as the average punter would look at your request as being reasonable there is much much more to it .. i think you would find EVERY club would face the same issue, its unfortunate but this is the world we live in now where simple things are much more complex ...

trust me our club does care very deeply for its members and where it can it does do a mountain of work for our members its just some things they cant do..

Hi St Trav - I think you are in part right. The memorabilia signing guidelines are set out in Appendix A of the current Collective Bargaining Agreement. In short these guidelines cover what are referred to as 'fan autographs' and 'player signatures' - these signatures are required to be written differently. 'Player signatures' are reserved for the AFL licensing program which includes the jumpers my son bought on the club auction. These are covered by clause 8 of Appendix A. There are no restrictions on the signing of these jumpers even with CoA's but clause 8 does set out a schedule of signing fees that the player is to receive for signing the jumper (or other items) - like $20 per item for a single player - so out of the $1k my son paid the club would have got $980. That said my information is that most clubs get their players to sign their jumpers that go to auction. For what ever reason St Kilda does not appear to do this;or at least didn't in this case; or the space cadet who took the call didn't want to check it out any further and just refused saying they had done all their signings for the year e.g. a crock.

Anyway not the end of the world, nor the tipping point for me - that was at the 20 minute mark of the third qtr last week.

One sort of funny follow up at the time my son received the jumpers was that the club also separately sent him a third jumper - and then rang him in a panic asking him to send it back. Of course they took 3 months to reimburse him for the cost. Lucky he is the honest type and didn't say "What jumper?"

For what ever reason St Kilda does not appear to do this;or at least didn't in this case; or the space cadet who took the call didn't want to check it out any further and just refused saying they had done all their signings for the year e.g. a crock.
That's a shocker!

Hi St Trav - I think you are in part right. The memorabilia signing guidelines are set out in Appendix A of the current Collective Bargaining Agreement. In short these guidelines cover what are referred to as 'fan autographs' and 'player signatures' - these signatures are required to be written differently. 'Player signatures' are reserved for the AFL licensing program which includes the jumpers my son bought on the club auction. These are covered by clause 8 of Appendix A. There are no restrictions on the signing of these jumpers even with CoA's but clause 8 does set out a schedule of signing fees that the player is to receive for signing the jumper (or other items) - like $20 per item for a single player - so out of the $1k my son paid the club would have got $980. That said my information is that most clubs get their players to sign their jumpers that go to auction. For what ever reason St Kilda does not appear to do this;or at least didn't in this case; or the space cadet who took the call didn't want to check it out any further and just refused saying they had done all their signings for the year e.g. a crock.

Anyway not the end of the world, nor the tipping point for me - that was at the 20 minute mark of the third qtr last week.

One sort of funny follow up at the time my son received the jumpers was that the club also separately sent him a third jumper - and then rang him in a panic asking him to send it back. Of course they took 3 months to reimburse him for the cost. Lucky he is the honest type and didn't say "What jumper?"
i think this is actually correct .. as per the agreement with the AFL the only way to truely manage the signings to make sure they are not in breach is to get all the official signings done in the one day ... i know from the past this day is a massive pain in the arse for the players as its basically a whole day of signing your name with the official present.. as you say its something like $20 paid to the player per signature during that time but i think there is a cap to the maximum that the player can make from the signings , just guessing but i would say pretty much all our players sign to the total of their cap on that signing day so that its clear and easy to track that is the only day they sign that autograph ..
as i said theres more to it then the club not wanting to help you cause i know for a fact the club do pretty much everything in their power to help our members

thats worse than someone ordering the 3XL and getting the small jumper in the wrong strip

as i said theres more to it then the club not wanting to help you cause i know for a fact the club do pretty much everything in their power to help our members
st-trav.....your post is very enlightening...…..I had no idea as I assume many didn't,that so much goes into the signing of a jumper....whether that be an online club auction or a live auction at a club function or a silent auction at a function..

It's mind boggling.

Actually I should have referred to clause 9 not 8 in the collective bargaining agreement which provides a higher fee to player as royalty payments for auctions. That said I don't think these payments form part of the TPP but I stand to be corrected on that.

st-trav.....your post is very enlightening...…..I had no idea as I assume many didn't,that so much goes into the signing of a jumper....whether that be an online club auction or a live auction at a club function or a silent auction at a function..

It's mind boggling.
yeah its crazy the hoops that are put in place in the back ground of things that seem to be very simple to manage ... another example is when the Saints came to perth the first time and they were locked out from Optus Stadium ... many members got quiet angry and upset that the club were not holding a training session for this first game .. there were heaps of people complaining about the club simpily not caring but it was totally wrong the club were locked out of optus so training there was impossible , and while it seems like a simple exercise of just finding another oval to hold training the logistics and the cost of such a thing is phenominal so the decision was made not to hold an open training session (especially when the team were back in perth 2 weeks later and they would have access to Optus stadium )...
lots of times things get interpreted in the wrong way and people find it very easy to think its just a case of the club not caring about its members

The problem now is footy is so homogenised there is no atmosphere and you have entertainment choices. Moorabin was raw, Marvel is like a cookie cutter stadium with no atmosphere.
Moorabbin made a MASSIVE difference. I loved going there no matter what. Etihad though ...enough said.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tonight seals it, if Ritcho is our coach March 2019 there's no way i'll be renewing. No F%^KING way.
why cause we lost a game quite realistically we were not expecting to win ? i mean dont gget me wrong i understand the frustrations and why people have had enough but to say it was because of that game that in all honesty went exactly as i expected it would is a bit strange

why cause we lost a game quite realistically we were not expecting to win ? i mean dont gget me wrong i understand the frustrations and why people have had enough but to say it was because of that game that in all honesty went exactly as i expected it would is a bit strange

I would say it was more HOW we lost, rather than we lost.

I would say it was more HOW we lost, rather than we lost.
really cause i thought we played worse the week earlier against the dogs then we did against the Dons ... our weaknesses were exposed in both games but we seemed to try and fight it out more in the Dons game then we did in the dogs game ...

It was my first membership year and won't be renewing at full price unless there is significant personnel change in the off season. I don't really care who we trade in or out player wise, talking more coaching here.

Having said that, my kids' primary school has a trivia night and Saints usually have a 3 game family membership at the blind auction. I was planning to bid face price for the membership to support the school and club, but now I will probably go half of face value :(

It was my first membership year and won't be renewing at full price unless there is significant personnel change in the off season. I don't really care who we trade in or out player wise, talking more coaching here.

Having said that, my kids' primary school has a trivia night and Saints usually have a 3 game family membership at the blind auction. I was planning to bid face price for the membership to support the school and club, but now I will probably go half of face value :(
i cant imagine a time where i would let the fact one man at our club means i wouldnt renew my membership ... personally i think Richo should go but if he stays or if he go's its still my team and ill be a member regardless

Trev I like you work on here but lets look at it, yes I never thought the boys would beat the Dons but in the 4th when they where 4 down i would have expected ritcho to make some changes to make sure we lost by less then bloody 40 pts. that's what upsets me, the fact freckles just sat there doing SFA. I hope for more from a SC that has 5 years under his belt. thanks for your reply...

Trev I like you work on here but lets look at it, yes I never thought the boys would beat the Dons but in the 4th when they where 4 down i would have expected ritcho to make some changes to make sure we lost by less then bloody 40 pts. that's what upsets me, the fact freckles just sat there doing SFA. I hope for more from a SC that has 5 years under his belt. thanks for your reply...
you are right but this is exactly the reason this year has been so s**t .. our coach doesnt have a counter punch to change things up in our favour ... we can go ultra negative and prevent a 100 blow out but we dont have the ability or desire to pull back a lead when we are behind and considering our starts thisyear have been terrible we are giving up leads very easily ... we are really good a coughing up a good lead but drawing one back in has not worked this year ...
ill expect a much worse prospect on Saturday ... Hawthorn i reckon will steam roll us from the first bounce - i reckon the clubs in the AFL know that we can be destroyed early and then put up little fight after that so the hawks will most likely get a 10 goal lead and coast the rest of the game ...
im prepared for that shitfit game so when it happens im not likely to be jumping up and down ranting how disapointed i am because realistically i havent got high hopes to start with ...
the games that kill me are the games against the dogs who we know we can compeat with but we just didnt turn up

Called the Saints to cancel my recurrance on membership. Had a good chat with the bloke from membership about my reasons.

I genuinely fear for the club next year if things don't get shaken up hard in the off-season. If it's still the remaining coaches and board I'm gone. And if a certain few players remain (Newnes, Wright, Gilbert, Weller) while a certain few don't remain (Goddard, Freeman, Pierce, Lonie) I won't even watch a game.

They do amazing work the membership dept. Feel sorry for them.
Called the Saints to cancel my recurrance on membership. Had a good chat with the bloke from membership about my reasons.

I genuinely fear for the club next year if things don't get shaken up hard in the off-season. If it's still the remaining coaches and board I'm gone. And if a certain few players remain (Newnes, Wright, Gilbert, Weller) while a certain few don't remain (Goddard, Freeman, Pierce, Lonie) I won't even watch a game.

That's why I was so conscious of makIng it a pleasant chat. It wasn't this blokes fault that we've collapsed this season.

I will possibly go around again but I think it sends a powerful message to the club if they get inundated with people saying "Don't auto renew my membership this year"

They do amazing work the membership dept. Feel sorry for them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back