Roast Next year's Membership

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm still in and always will be and that goes for our group...…...6 of us as the core(reserved seats) and occasionally one or two others may join us during the season for a night or day out.

We're pretty well rusted on.....we've had our seats since the start of the 2003 season when the club couldn't basically give them away.....and got great seats because of this.

With us any any others joining us,it's a great social time before,during and after a game.....I probably wouldn't see them all as often if it wasn't for the footy.

Yes...it's been a tough year to watch them...a very very tough year.

At this point....it's quite obvious our "rebuild" hasn't worked out as planned...it's a sinking/gut reaching realization.

I don't believe for one nanosecond that the club set out to F*** things up......bad decisions in various areas(off field excluded) had been made and it's come home to roost.

The good news(yes...there is some) is that I reckon we have drafted well in the 2015/16/17 drafts...….that's a basis we can build on...….

Let's see what other changes to personnel in all areas is made at seasons end.

I feel your frustration as I'm guessing most do and if we are in the same position this time next year I'll be making the same stand.

For now I'm happy to back the club in to put the correct structure/asst coaches etc in place around Richo and give him the benefit doubt.

George are you still in regular contact with Finnis? Forwarding this thread onto the club might force them to act on Richo. It's a real worry when long time and loyal members are withdrawing their support from the club.

Worrying that the saints have gone from the highest retention of members to having long time members withdraw their financial support.
if the CEO sacks a coach cause some guys on an internet forum are upset then we are in real strife

far be it for me to say what people do with their money or how they suppoert our club but i just ask you this what is it that made you support St Kilda in the first place ? surely it wasnt our decoarated history of constant success...
what is it that made you decide to join an internet forum to talk about St Kilda ?
for you to be a member and to have a care factor enough to spend time on an internet forum discussing this club there is that deep down love for our club , for the red white and black .. i dont think any of you guys saying you are done are first year members so you havent joined the bandwangon you hvae already put in the hard yards for this club , because ultimatly its the club that is the constant players come and go , coaches come and go, administrations come and go but the club remains constantso by all means be pissed off... i am , want change... i do, there are hundreds of fantastic Saints people, Barb from the Angels who with her group donate memberships to struggling familys to kids who their home life is the pits so they can come to the foorty each week to escape.. Georgie from the herritage Museum who knows everything about every player to ever walk through the door who still after years and years of being involved with the club is still as enthusiatic as day one to tell members and fans about our history.. Ree from the tassie supporters group , Donna from the Wodonga group, Gail from the Ballarat, Jason from NSW and the Pride committee, Bev from Qld, Geoff from the Sinners who do anything for the club that requires manual labour and have always assisted other Supporter Groups within the club. My group here in WA, the guys who voulenteer their time their efforts their moneyfor this club ...
if you are thinking of leaving because of one man... then how bout instead of that you stay for these people .. stay for the the things that make this club great the things that are the real soul of the club ...

this week i learnt a whole heap about Trevor Barker , a guy i was too young to remember playing footy but a guy that loved our club warts and all through our darkest and most dire days ... Barks loved the club the admin the coachs the players came and went and did their damages and left their legacys but it was the club above all he loved ... perhaps we need more of that not just on the field and off the field but in the stands as well ...

far be it for me to say what people do with their money or how they suppoert our club but i just ask you this what is it that made you support St Kilda in the first place ? surely it wasnt our decoarated history of constant success...
what is it that made you decide to join an internet forum to talk about St Kilda ?
for you to be a member and to have a care factor enough to spend time on an internet forum discussing this club there is that deep down love for our club , for the red white and black .. i dont think any of you guys saying you are done are first year members so you havent joined the bandwangon you hvae already put in the hard yards for this club , because ultimatly its the club that is the constant players come and go , coaches come and go, administrations come and go but the club remains constantso by all means be pissed off... i am , want change... i do, there are hundreds of fantastic Saints people, Barb from the Angels who with her group donate memberships to struggling familys to kids who their home life is the pits so they can come to the foorty each week to escape.. Georgie from the herritage Museum who knows everything about every player to ever walk through the door who still after years and years of being involved with the club is still as enthusiatic as day one to tell members and fans about our history.. Ree from the tassie supporters group , Donna from the Wodonga group, Gail from the Ballarat, Jason from NSW and the Pride committee, Bev from Qld, Geoff from the Sinners who do anything for the club that requires manual labour and have always assisted other Supporter Groups within the club. My group here in WA, the guys who voulenteer their time their efforts their moneyfor this club ...
if you are thinking of leaving because of one man... then how bout instead of that you stay for these people .. stay for the the things that make this club great the things that are the real soul of the club ...

this week i learnt a whole heap about Trevor Barker , a guy i was too young to remember playing footy but a guy that loved our club warts and all through our darkest and most dire days ... Barks loved the club the admin the coachs the players came and went and did their damages and left their legacys but it was the club above all he loved ... perhaps we need more of that not just on the field and off the field but in the stands as well ...

Great post!

Absolutely well said there st_trav………..it's the connection to the club as you said......the crest...the colours ….the history...GULP.

Yes....many here are pissed with the coach...and some with the admin.....they all have come....and they all will at some point go.....but the club remains.

And of course as St.trav says.....it's a choice on whether people become a member or not and if they do.....decide when they cease being a member.

And speaking of Barks....aka the legend...….I'm pretty sure that one year he won a car from the club(possibly the B&F prize) but the club couldn't actually afford to give him a car.

He was very gracious about it...the club came first.

Barks used to go to Cheltenham high....I went to Moorabbin high....the sports rivalry was huge....we were about 2 miles from each other.

When Barks started played for the Saints...…..suddenly a huge amount of Moorabbin High girls would barrack for Chelt high....funny about that!!!!!!

It was like us guys were suddenly invisible.....WTF !!!

LOL.

4 less members next year two mates, my father and I all 25 year members won’t be rejoining until Richo is gone and most likely the board as well. This is the darkest days I’ve seen personally at least when we were being thumped in the 80s 90s we had Lockett, winmar, Harvey, Loewe etc that would provide some joy. Club is a disgrace, selling out of the song to dare coffee was the last straw for me !

The club has no heart or soul anymore and the current admin don’t give two f#*#s about their supporters they definitely don’t show it. The small things that strong clubs do we don’t. A simple number year of support on your scalf, maybe a thankyoubcall just once in 25 years of support as a premium level supporter and social club every year. Not inviting all members even 5 year plus members to a q and a the club is having, my question isn’t relevant as only been a member 25 years?!

Clubs going nowhere fast, look out for the tassie saints soon!

4 less members next year two mates, my father and I all 25 year members won’t be rejoining until Richo is gone and most likely the board as well. This is the darkest days I’ve seen personally at least when we were being thumped in the 80s 90s we had Lockett, winmar, Harvey, Loewe etc that would provide some joy. Club is a disgrace, selling out of the song to dare coffee was the last straw for me !

The club has no heart or soul anymore and the current admin don’t give two f#*#s about their supporters they definitely don’t show it. The small things that strong clubs do we don’t. A simple number year of support on your scalf, maybe a thankyoubcall just once in 25 years of support as a premium level supporter and social club every year. Not inviting all members even 5 year plus members to a q and a the club is having, my question isn’t relevant as only been a member 25 years?!

Clubs going nowhere fast, look out for the tassie saints soon!
again your choice to do so as you wish ... but i think you have a few things actually totally wrong with this post ...

you think the club has no heart or soul ill give you the group of school kids a few weeks ago the club hosted from WA at the request of former player David Sierakowski , ill give you the Maddie match we support even though Nick isnt on our list our clubs return to Moorabbin being helped by donations by the head coach out of his own pocket , the players donating to the club, former players donating to the club, staff donating, and as per my above post the countless people who make up the fabric of our club... our club is the most compasionate and the most inclusive club bar none.. we have a heart we have a soul we have passion.. what we have is a poor team and a terrible season but our heart and soul is still strong!!

you say the admin dont give a F*** , i can tell you that is very far from the truth .. the head of our club are as devistated as we all are our season has been woeful and our club have been fairly open to talk to our angry members and hear their frustration as they echo a lot of it , where our club leadership differ is unlike many of of our members who want blood for this season the club are more balanced and clear headed and wont make knee jerk reactions
what do other clubs do we dont do ? i can tell you from running a supporter group and being active with other clubs groups our is by far the most active with their members , our club is by far the most generious with their time and are by far the most open to its members ... i wont go into details but if you wish i can rattle off many areas where we are more valued then other clubs members are
a number on the scarf... really send me your scarf ill get my mother to embroide it on for you if that will make you happy .. i personally choose to have my scarf donated as i dont need one every year ..

a thank you call... really ...

the club also invite members to many differant events the focus being on the smaller more intimate the better and the more chance to get your question answered .. that said how many Q&A sessions have other AFL clubs held ??

by all means its your right to throw away 25 years of membership but just maybe think about the real reason why if its frustrations cause we are losing then fair enough but call it that not some incorrect notion we have no heart

I will be buying again next year. At times like this the club needs our support more than ever.
same ... ill be buying my membership ...
ill also buy my Nephews first junior membership and in the first trade of the year ive managed to convert my father back to the saints and will be buying his membership next year ...

"where our club leadership differ is unlike many of of our members who want blood for this season the club are more balanced and clear headed and wont make knee jerk reactions what do other clubs do we dont do"

yet we handed a 24 month contract extension to someone who was still contracted for another 18 months. giving him 3 and half years. then when people rightly criticise it, they point to two other clubs, richmond and collingwood. its literally the very definition of knee jerk and doing what other clubs have done with no insight as to why those clubs actually made those calls.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"where our club leadership differ is unlike many of of our members who want blood for this season the club are more balanced and clear headed and wont make knee jerk reactions what do other clubs do we dont do"

yet we handed a 24 month contract extension to someone who was still contracted for another 18 months. giving him 3 and half years. then when people rightly criticise it, they point to two other clubs, richmond and collingwood. its literally the very definition of knee jerk and doing what other clubs have done with no insight as to why those clubs actually made those calls.
Yep, drives me nuts.

Instead of looking at a club with much more similarities to where we are right now, the Western Bulldogs under McCartney a few years ago, we are following 2 clubs that are nothing like where we are now in Collingwood and Richmond.

It is boneheaded stuff, even for our club and most of us have had enough with so many poor decisions and are not going to enable the club any more by handing over our hard earned. Enough is enough until they get the message.

again your choice to do so as you wish ... but i think you have a few things actually totally wrong with this post ...

you think the club has no heart or soul ill give you the group of school kids a few weeks ago the club hosted from WA at the request of former player David Sierakowski , ill give you the Maddie match we support even though Nick isnt on our list our clubs return to Moorabbin being helped by donations by the head coach out of his own pocket , the players donating to the club, former players donating to the club, staff donating, and as per my above post the countless people who make up the fabric of our club... our club is the most compasionate and the most inclusive club bar none.. we have a heart we have a soul we have passion.. what we have is a poor team and a terrible season but our heart and soul is still strong!!

you say the admin dont give a F*** , i can tell you that is very far from the truth .. the head of our club are as devistated as we all are our season has been woeful and our club have been fairly open to talk to our angry members and hear their frustration as they echo a lot of it , where our club leadership differ is unlike many of of our members who want blood for this season the club are more balanced and clear headed and wont make knee jerk reactions
what do other clubs do we dont do ? i can tell you from running a supporter group and being active with other clubs groups our is by far the most active with their members , our club is by far the most generious with their time and are by far the most open to its members ... i wont go into details but if you wish i can rattle off many areas where we are more valued then other clubs members are
a number on the scarf... really send me your scarf ill get my mother to embroide it on for you if that will make you happy .. i personally choose to have my scarf donated as i dont need one every year ..

a thank you call... really ...

the club also invite members to many differant events the focus being on the smaller more intimate the better and the more chance to get your question answered .. that said how many Q&A sessions have other AFL clubs held ??

by all means its your right to throw away 25 years of membership but just maybe think about the real reason why if its frustrations cause we are losing then fair enough but call it that not some incorrect notion we have no heart

We are here to support a footy club its not a chairty organisation, yes they and every other club do many great things but unfortunately they are a FOOTBALL club that cannot play FOOTBALL and are lead by one of the worst coaching groups in history! Statistically proven! I spend $1000 a year on two memberships and id rather give that straight to a charity now that we are on the subject and the money would be much better spent.

The resign a coach who'd never made the finals to a two year extension, WHY???

The point is that the club is run terrible on all fronts, not the number on the scalf, but clubs like collingwood, hawthorn, essendon, richmond all do it and funnily enough year upon year upon year we don't see these clubs decimated financially and making idiotic decisions do we? Obviously you have no buisness sense at all in how to run a successful organisation. How many times has Telstra called you to say thanks, or your bank or your insurer asked how things are going? Countless for me and these organisations have 100s of thousands of customers, its not much to do something that makes the average supporter feel like the club care about them. Rather each year St Kilda see how they can minimise and decrease the quality of the tiny little member pack they give you worth about $1 next year itll be 90c i bet make our scalfs out of used rags or something. Its the little things that make members feel wanted and special, St Kilda haven't ever done that for their everyday supporters. You think the players do everything in their free time? You are wrong its written into their contracts they have to go to these schools etc etc they are paid to go, yes they might enjoy it and find it rewarding but spare me the absolute junk talk that its all outta the goodness of their hearts.

Time for this club to stand up and make a change, enough is enough 1 premiership in 120 years, been in debt for most of their history, scandal after scandal, the clubs reputation and past speaks for itself! Some of the soft supporters that think the club is doing AOK are just as soft ass the current board, coaches and playing group! There is one positive at the club Simon Lethlean, he certainly isnt happy with how the club is ran, his own words he cant believe how the club is ran hence the bloodbath that has started of coaches and im sure it will run much deeper in the end and it cant come soon enough.

Last edited:
We are here to support a footy club its not a chairty organisation, yes they and every other club do many great things but unfortunately they are a FOOTBALL club that cannot play FOOTBALL and are lead by one of the worst coaching groups in history! Statistically proven! I spend $1000 a year on two memberships and id rather give that straight to a charity now that we are on the subject and the money would be much better spent. - then why not just buy a membership for Richmond ? then when they drop buy another club membership ... if its Success you are only chasing then you chose poorly with St Kilda

The resign a coach who'd never made the finals to a two year extension, WHY??? - I agree with that .. was a dumb move to do so we all know that but what is achieved by re-hashing over it again and again and again ... im actulay of the belief Richo should be sacked but my support of my club doesnt hinge on one man..

The point is that the club is run terrible on all fronts, not the number on the scalf, but clubs like collingwood, hawthorn, essendon, richmond all do it and funnily enough year upon year upon year we don't see these clubs decimated financially and making idiotic decisions do we? - you brought up the scarves like it was a huge deal.. as i said if you want your years of membership on it ill sew it on for you ... we do get recognition of our years of support with our pin.. personally i prefer that takes up less room in the house.
Obviously you have no buisness sense at all in how to run a successful organisation. How many times has Telstra called you to say thanks, or your bank or your insurer asked how things are going? Countless for me and these organisations have 100s of thousands of customers, its not much to do something that makes the average supporter feel like the club care about them.- im not going to roll out my resume to you to show my involvment in successful organisations, but to your comment on Telstra calling up to see how things are going how many calls from Andy Penn have you had ?? you do realise these are paid call centre staff (most often outsourced) that call you with the actual core of their call to upsell you not to actually find out how you are..
Rather each year St Kilda see how they can minimise and decrease the quality of the tiny little member pack they give you worth about $1 next year itll be 90c i bet make our scalfs out of used rags or something. - the membership packs are pretty standard across the AFL, cheap crap from china mass produced for little cost, its not a st kilda think its a every club thing... from that point i would much rather the cost of the membership pack kept lower and my membership money go to running the club... you need to ask yourself are you a member of the club to be a member of something or to just get a goodies parcel delivered??

Its the little things that make members feel wanted and special, St Kilda haven't ever done that for their everyday supporters. - Really ... Friday they hosted 21 WA members to moorabbbin putting on lunch and a tour of the facilities, im constantly seeing events in Melbourne for Saints members to attend , family days, kids clinics, season launches , open training sesions.. ill give you an example here in WA the Geelong football club for the past 5 years have locked out their supporters from training, thier supporter group of dedicated fans get NOTHING from the club, their game tickets in Perth have to be purchased and the club held a $350 per head function on game day against their supporters groups own function.. our club has had only one game where they havent had an open training session in perth (and that was cause the oval was closed to them).. our supporters pack is filled with things we use as prizes for our members and for our functions on game day the club work with us to make our function special for their members

You think the players do everything in their free time? You are wrong its written into their contracts they have to go to these schools etc etc they are paid to go, yes they might enjoy it and find it rewarding but spare me the absolute junk talk that its all outta the goodness of their hearts. - of course its in their contracts to do non football related work... it works out that there is a certain number of hours that the players as to do for promotional aspects of the club each year.. but its up to the club how they "spend" these hours .. some clubs use them for the corporate events to get a return on the hours . our club use those hours to grow the membership.. as far as AFL clubs go the Saints are one of the highest in using those hours for community engagment.. our club most certainly value our saints community and invest in developing that side of things.. the club had no obligation to host a WA junior footy team there was very little commercial value to them doing that but they did it all the same .. why because at the heart of our club its about developing that community spirit its about doing the nice thing, its not all about ruthless business

Time for this club to stand up and make a change, enough is enough 1 premiership in 120 years, been in debt for most of their history, scandal after scandal, the clubs reputation and past speaks for itself! Some of the soft supporters that think the club is doing AOK are just as soft ass the current board, coaches and playing group! - Who is saying its AOK? all im saying is chucking the shits cause we have had a shitty year and a mass member exodus will lead us further away from that second premiership
There is one positive at the club Simon Lethlean, he certainly isnt happy with how the club is ran, his own words he cant believe how the club is ran hence the bloodbath that has started of coaches and im sure it will run much deeper in the end and it cant come soon enough. - im confident things will change and im sure some of the changes will work well and some not so well , it wont be quick , its going to take time but we will come good in the end .. we will have roadblocks we will have false starts and we will possibly go further backwards then we already are but its all part of the trip to the second flag .. if you want to jump off then fine good luck to you but im here to support the red white and black and will do so forever

I think you miss my point, it’s not about anything I get from the club I couldn’t care less it’s just good business to do so. It makes members feel like the club put a little effort in after members put their hard earned money in to support the club and keep it running.

Getting less and less effort in things as simple as a membership pack makes me feel the club do not care at all. Then they do things like sell out the club song to dare coffee? I have also sent at least 5 emails to the club this year not one response to a hard question and asking why some aspects of the club are ran as they are.

Even after a horrible game on the weekend Freeman’s debut, 19 touches 3 tackles, didn’t set the world on fire but gee it’s not bad for a first game coming back from what he has. Then in the presser will he play next week Richo? Oh I’m not sure yet we have a few coming back... (this little positive spin the club could give and a little excitement in a horrible year, immediately Richo pours more cold water on things and makes members feel the young fellas may have opportunity taken from them for the last couple games) give these young kids a go give them some confidence they have the last month to pay. What did someone like brandan white do to not still be playing?? Why is Goddard not playing, brown and Gilbert are not out future we need games into the players to see if they can play and we aren’t gonna learn anything g knew from the older blokes where as games into those young blokes is so important.

Game day as well so much could be done we have the worst social media and events staff going round. Maybe have a look at freo or west coast to see how a pre game should be run, or go to a nfl game or nba game. Why are we not creating an environment at games that makes it feel uncomfortable for other clubs? I could go on and on there isn’t much we do right as a club and it’s evident in infield performance and crowds that show up to watch us. Even in the 05-11 era we couldn’t capitalize on members and financial opportunities and we have one of the largest supporter bases. These questions need to be answered and actioned they don’t take much to get them moving.

No its not. We have had one actual terrible year and people are an inch from frothing at the mouth.
That. That, right there. "We have had one actual terrible year"? What?

Here's the last 7 years.

2018: 16th (probably)
2017: 11th
2016: 9th
2015: 14th
2014: 18th
2013: 16th
2012: 9th

One time last. Three times bottom 3. Four times bottom 5. No time in finals.

But we've had "one terrible year"? Do you think Collingwood would consider that record "one terrible year"? Hawthorn? West Coast?

All the spin about rebuilds, and going down to come back up again, is all just that: spin. Hawthorn, West Coast, Collingwood, etc, don't work that way. Because their fans won't allow them to. They are in the business to win premierships, not draft picks.

It is the blind, sanctimonious acceptance of mediocrity, as if it's some kind of freakin' virtue, that is the reason this club is as perpetually stuffed as it is.

If I have the money , or if another saints fan wants to help me like SaintBatty did this year then I will definitely get another membership. You might be feeling bad now but just wait until the draft and we get some new exciting kid and it will change your mind as you will get excited again . After all we are Saints supporters, it’s not like we haven’t been disappointed before . I know some will stop going but that always happens. I just hope all you people who are on this site , who have been friendly with me , stick at it . Who knows what can happen in a year . We always have hope for next year .
I remember when we won 7 wooden spoons in 11 years but I still kept going because I love the club . Never give up .

Go Saints

That. That, right there. "We have had one actual terrible year"? What?

Here's the last 7 years.

2018: 16th (probably)
2017: 11th
2016: 9th
2015: 14th
2014: 18th
2013: 16th
2012: 9th

One time last. Three times bottom 3. Four times bottom 5. No time in finals.

But we've had "one terrible year"? Do you think Collingwood would consider that record "one terrible year"? Hawthorn? West Coast?

All the spin about rebuilds, and going down to come back up again, is all just that: spin. Hawthorn, West Coast, Collingwood, etc, don't work that way. Because their fans won't allow them to. They are in the business to win premierships, not draft picks.

It is the blind, sanctimonious acceptance of mediocrity, as if it's some kind of freakin' virtue, that is the reason this club is as perpetually stuffed as it is.
Amen to that

st-kilda-players-celebrate-after-winning-the-wizard-cup-grand-final-picture-id3081435

Lol jks, we all know we aren't winning another premiership ;)

If you combined our current team with that one, Carlisle would get a gig, Steven for sure, and maybe Roberton. Toss up in the ruck.

I’ve been a member since 1981, and been going to Saints games since 1976 with my Grandad. I’ve seen us finish wooden spooners 7 times in 12 years from 1977, when if we won a quarter I was wrapped. I saw Big Carl run around in number 10 before he went back to Melbourne, Robbie Muir belting blokes left right and centre, Joffa Cunningham and Greg Burns dominate in the stinking mud and still lose.

Then there was God himself, Trevor Barker, the original peroxide blonde bombshell, who was bigger in the day than Nick Riewoldt in his prime. Val Perovic, Russell Greene, Silvio Foschini, Garry Sidebottom, Alan Sidebottom, George Young, Stewart Loewe, Nicky Winmar, Alex Jesalenko, Scoobs O’Donnell, Rob Harvey, Spida, hell I even survived Plugger’s defection when he shocked the club and went for the dollars in Sydney.

A cold pie and cold can of coke then beer when older at Moorabbin, there was nothing like it. And through all of this we lost most weeks!
I couldn’t name the amount of coaches we’ve had in my time but I’ll try: Ross Smith, Swampfox Patterson, Alex Jesalenko, Tony Jewell, Graham Gellie, Darrel Baldock, Alan Davis when Doc was sick, Ken Sheldon, Stan Alves, Tim Watson, Malcolm Blight, Grant Thomas, Ross Lyon, Scott Watters and Richo! None have won a flag, we’ve had countless presidents and I still love my club, despite them being cellar dwellers most of my life.

So I challenge anyone out there to stick fat and prove your loyalty, because we don’t need fair weather supporters, we need 50,000 members next year to jag a Dylan Shiel or the like.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back