Roast Next year's Membership

Remove this Banner Ad

So I challenge anyone out there to stick fat and prove your loyalty, because we don’t need fair weather supporters, we need 50,000 members next year to jag a Dylan Shiel or the like.
That's the spirit there Doug!

I’ve been a member since 1981, and been going to Saints games since 1976 with my Grandad. I’ve seen us finish wooden spooners 7 times in 12 years from 1977, when if we won a quarter I was wrapped. I saw Big Carl run around in number 10 before he went back to Melbourne, Robbie Muir belting blokes left right and centre, Joffa Cunningham and Greg Burns dominate in the stinking mud and still lose.

Then there was God himself, Trevor Barker, the original peroxide blonde bombshell, who was bigger in the day than Nick Riewoldt in his prime. Val Perovic, Russell Greene, Silvio Foschini, Garry Sidebottom, Alan Sidebottom, George Young, Stewart Loewe, Nicky Winmar, Alex Jesalenko, Scoobs O’Donnell, Rob Harvey, Spida, hell I even survived Plugger’s defection when he shocked the club and went for the dollars in Sydney.

A cold pie and cold can of coke then beer when older at Moorabbin, there was nothing like it. And through all of this we lost most weeks!
I couldn’t name the amount of coaches we’ve had in my time but I’ll try: Ross Smith, Swampfox Patterson, Alex Jesalenko, Tony Jewell, Graham Gellie, Darrel Baldock, Alan Davis when Doc was sick, Ken Sheldon, Stan Alves, Tim Watson, Malcolm Blight, Grant Thomas, Ross Lyon, Scott Watters and Richo! None have won a flag, we’ve had countless presidents and I still love my club, despite them being cellar dwellers most of my life.

So I challenge anyone out there to stick fat and prove your loyalty, because we don’t need fair weather supporters, we need 50,000 members next year to jag a Dylan Shiel or the like.

The problem now is footy is so homogenised there is no atmosphere and you have entertainment choices. Moorabin was raw, Marvel is like a cookie cutter stadium with no atmosphere.

Got told at the start of the year that the area in which I sit will become an 'Ultimate' area next year, which requires us to pay $140 more for the same seat to get 'privileges' such as access to the 'Victory' room (which happens to be on the opposite side of the ground anyway) after the game and a guaranteed ticket to a Grand Final if we were to make it.

I know what the club was thinking with their 5 year plan and all but they might want to revisit that one if they don't want 2-3 empty bays on the wing.

Won't pay the extra money for my seat, am on the fence otherwise. Considering buying a non-attending membership and picking and choosing at this point.

Got told at the start of the year that the area in which I sit will become an 'Ultimate' area next year, which requires us to pay $140 more for the same seat to get 'privileges' such as access to the 'Victory' room (which happens to be on the opposite side of the ground anyway) after the game and a guaranteed ticket to a Grand Final if we were to make it.

I know what the club was thinking with their 5 year plan and all but they might want to revisit that one if they don't want 2-3 empty bays on the wing.

Won't pay the extra money for my seat, am on the fence otherwise. Considering buying a non-attending membership and picking and choosing at this point.
A couple of the ladies that sit further along our row mentioned to me back in June that they were told about this also.

And I vaguely remember hearing something about it pre season.

My first reaction to this "plan" is that's it's a bit outrageous......especially if the affected people have had the seat/s for years.

One would hope that this brilliant idea may be quietly shelved away given our year and the amount of pissed off supporters/members out there at the moment.

I will be buying again next year. At times like this the club needs our support more than ever.

Been thinking about something George between Stkilda & Melbourne Storm

Gerry Ryan major financial backer of both clubs.

Any thought of 2 clubs working together offering 3 game memberships reciprocal $50.00 during year.

Been thinking about something George between Stkilda & Melbourne Storm

Gerry Ryan major financial backer of both clubs.

Any thought of 2 clubs working together offering 3 game memberships reciprocal $50.00 during year.
I wonder if there would be any kind of ACCC issues there?

Here's a little story about how 'great' your club is- last year in advance of a milestone birthday for me this year one of my sons bought two match day jumpers in an on line auction run by the club. He paid $1000 for the two of them. I won't say whose they were. He later asked the club if the players concerned could sign them. The club refused. A follow up request was also rejected point blank. Remembering my son has just paid $1k for licensed memorabilia issued by the club. Not some dodgy jumpers given away in a pub raffle.

So while I don't have a problem with other people rejoining or not rejoining next year just please don't lecture to me how great this club is. I have been a member since 1971. Then as now this club does not give a toss about its members. Next year I won't be taking out an ultimate membership again - just a base membership probably later in the year. Oh - and guess what? my son - you know the next generation coming through - won't be renewing his ultimate membership - taken out for the first time this year either. This club takes its members for granted - it couldn't give a stuff - just like the way the team is run and plays.

A follow up request was also rejected point blank. Remembering my son has just paid $1k for licensed memorabilia issued by the club. Not some dodgy jumpers given away in a pub raffle.
Rabid....gee ...I haven't heard a situation like that before......I'm a little baffled as to why they'd refuse to allow the jumpers to be signed...….especially when it was a club auction.

That's not good at all to put it mildly.

Are the 2 players still playing?

No names of course.

Maybe George with his contacts at the club could put a little light on as to why this would have happened.

If I was working at the club....I'd be falling over myself to get the jumpers signed for you considering the coin yr son parted with.

Baffling !

I'd certainly be extremely pissed too!

As if the boys would turn that down and say no to signing them
Thats office politics bullshit or whatever it is, because youd put your house on it that the chance of the players not signing their match day jumpers that were auctioned off by the bloody club would be miniscule
There would be a 0.1% chance theyd refuse surely

Its stupid s**t like that and people think: well * ya then, wont do that again

Member since 1971, nearly 50 years ffs
Strength thru Loyalty at its finest

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here's a little story about how 'great' your club is- last year in advance of a milestone birthday for me this year one of my sons bought two match day jumpers in an on line auction run by the club. He paid $1000 for the two of them. I won't say whose they were. He later asked the club if the players concerned could sign them. The club refused. A follow up request was also rejected point blank. Remembering my son has just paid $1k for licensed memorabilia issued by the club. Not some dodgy jumpers given away in a pub raffle.

So while I don't have a problem with other people rejoining or not rejoining next year just please don't lecture to me how great this club is. I have been a member since 1971. Then as now this club does not give a toss about its members. Next year I won't be taking out an ultimate membership again - just a base membership probably later in the year. Oh - and guess what? my son - you know the next generation coming through - won't be renewing his ultimate membership - taken out for the first time this year either. This club takes its members for granted - it couldn't give a stuff - just like the way the team is run and plays.
That's not great mate can you e-mail me I will try to follow it up for you.

I will say one thing though - your comment about the club not caring about it's members is just flat out wrong. Generally the club does more good than bad, every club would have these slip ups on occasion, the bigger the club the more frequent these things would happen I reckon - so clubs like Richmond and Collingwood must have issues like this as well.

Club is doing fantastic stuff for people all the time, ask st_trav_ofWA ... and I'll have a great story at the end of the year about the club helping out one of our own here on BigFooty...it's not all doom & gloom. Again yes your situation is definitely pretty poor but please don't generalize!

I think the problem the club will have is that people will downgrade their memberships while the recent members may drop off.

Hard to sell hope with the current coach. He’s a dud.

But I’ll continue my membership.
I might do the same. Foxtel is looking better value, although nothing beats being there live. They'll still get my money, just not as much.

I will say one thing though - your comment about the club not caring about it's members is just flat out wrong. Generally the club does more good than bad, every club would have these slip ups on occasion, the bigger the club the more frequent these things would happen I reckon - so clubs like Richmond and Collingwood must have issues like this as well.

Club is doing fantastic stuff for people all the time, ask st_trav_ofWA ... and I'll have a great story at the end of the year about the club helping out one of our own here on BigFooty...it's not all doom & gloom. Again yes your situation is definitely pretty poor but please don't generalize!

Thanks George - I was probably more disappointed for my son than me. I understand that the club does lots of good things - most of which we don't hear about. That said its the 1% things that count and stick in people's minds.

We have resorted to handing out freebies on a shopadocket.......
If we have to go that far to get a crowd selling memberships forget it.
WOW......never seen that done by a club before......WOW....and it's us.

I know the club has been busting it's arse trying to get arse's on seats...…..and is trying think outside the box...but WOW.

I saw a poster on SS talk about the dockets and I just thought he was taking the piss.

It reminds me of the Gold Coast game....when the Suns kick 10 goals...which they did that afternoon......it flashed up on the board that you can get a free Big Mac at any Maccas if you present your entry tic.

Which I duly did.

Medium fries too please...lol.

Great stuff George......thanks for that.

I can only assume that Rabid had the bad luck of getting thru to someone at the club who was having a bad day or thought it may be "too hard"

In large organizations as you say George....things do at times "fall thru the cracks" and leave a very bad taste in peoples mouths.

I hate hearing stories like Rabids.

But I do understand....he's be pretty pissed at what happened.

I'm with you tho….the club is doing heaps of good stuff...….it's just you never hear about it.

Georgie Day anyone?

It reminds me of the Gold Coast game....when the Suns kick 10 goals...which they did that afternoon......it flashed up on the board that you can get a free Big Mac at any Maccas if you present your entry tic.

Which I duly did.

Medium fries too please...lol.
Geelong did something similar at Kardina Park games a few years back. Free burger if they won.

As if the boys would turn that down and say no to signing them
Thats office politics bullshit or whatever it is, because youd put your house on it that the chance of the players not signing their match day jumpers that were auctioned off by the bloody club would be miniscule
There would be a 0.1% chance theyd refuse surely

Its stupid s**t like that and people think: well **** ya then, wont do that again

Member since 1971, nearly 50 years ffs
Strength thru Loyalty at its finest

I went to the B&F a few years ago when Roo won.

I didn’t want to bug him on the night so I took the two entry tickets and sent them to the club with a brief congratulatory note to Roo on the award and the birth of James and asked him to please sign them, each one with a personal name on it for myself and my son.

Not only did they come back signed a little while later ( it was off season) they included a couple of stickers, and a brief thank you note.

It’s a shame what happened to your son, Rabid, there surely must have been some misunderstanding.

just on this ... lets just consider a couple of points i might be wrong but someone who is a memorabilia buff might be able to help...
firstly that jumper would have come with a Certificate of Authenticity am i right ?
ok so let me explain my understanding of the AFL rules on memorabilia.. i believe the AFL dictates there is only a certain amount of genuine signed items the club is allowed to sell, i think it was in place to stop clubs doing dodgy under the table payments for signed memorabilia and players making money outside of their AFL wages for memorabilia... in turn you will find the signatures on non CoA peices (eg jumpers signed at training) is different to the signatures on CoA peices...
so back to your issue as this jumper has a CoA the club would have to be very careful about getting that signed as that CoA is to signify it is a player jumper not a fake but the CoA isnt to signify its an offical signature ..
if you were to say sell the jumper with a "training" signature on a CoA playing jumper you would be de-valuing the jumper
if you were to sell the jumper with the CoA and a "training" signature then you are misleading the buyer and pretty much every memorabilia dealer will say its now a fake ...

so i dont think in any way at all is the club being negative to you and not wanting to help you but it is a pretty sticky area that you have asked them to help you in ... remember the fines that the club can face for breaching AFL rules is huge sso as much as the average punter would look at your request as being reasonable there is much much more to it .. i think you would find EVERY club would face the same issue, its unfortunate but this is the world we live in now where simple things are much more complex ...

trust me our club does care very deeply for its members and where it can it does do a mountain of work for our members its just some things they cant do..

I went to the B&F a few years ago when Roo won.

I didn’t want to bug him on the night so I took the two entry tickets and sent them to the club with a brief congratulatory note to Roo on the award and the birth of James and asked him to please sign them, each one with a personal name on it for myself and my son.

Not only did they come back signed a little while later ( it was off season) they included a couple of stickers, and a brief thank you note.

It’s a shame what happened to your son, Rabid, there surely must have been some misunderstanding.
i think as per my post its the CofA that has been the stumbling block ... if you sent in an ordinary jumper it would get signed no problem but with that CofA its differant

just on this ... lets just consider a couple of points i might be wrong but someone who is a memorabilia buff might be able to help...
Great post there st_trav……..when I first read Rabid's post......I wondered if there was some type of rule concerning auction jumpers being signed.

I meant to ask Rabid what was the explanation he received when the contact at the club said "no"

And speaking of this subject....my guest at last years B&F snagged a players jumper in one of the silent auctions.

I can't remember if it was signed and it didn't have a CoA with it.....she was going to follow up the club for the CoA.

I completely forgot about seeing what the outcome was...……..will check her up next time I see her.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back