NFNL 2024 Div 1 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Let's name some clubs in any divison that DIDNT have significantly large 'donations' that went up grades or won flags?

Any wealthy businesses that would be keen to sponsor us at any stage - please chat to our committee 😂

Chump
Hamilton and Marino
Samma group
I'm sure those 2 could contribute more than enough , if not already

Funnily enough this year will mark 20 years since their dominance began. 8 Premierships out of 20 is a decent return, with two of those years null and void so more like 8 out of 18. Weren’t much chop between 1991 and 2003. Gilmore back in 2025.

Almost a 50% rate of a flag over an 18 year spell is one hell of an era.
If I’m not mistaken they’ve won a few twos flags in this time as well.

Definition of a powerhouse club.

D1 NFL is always one of the more competitive premier competitions in Victoria. Always good for a few upsets a year and sides have been relegated winning 4+ games a year shows how evenly matched it can be.

His money he can do with it as he pleases.
Totally agree - Every sporting club in Australia would want a bloke like this at their club!!
Powerhouse clubs are established off the field through lots of $$$ and a junior club - Hard to be successful if you dont have one or the other.
Leagues need blokes like this also as you would have to think his contribution to Heidelberg would be $100K a year for 10 years + ?
Attracts the great players to the the NFL rather than other comps.
Did he arrive at the Bergs when Murphy & Sinclair came across?

Totally agree - Every sporting club in Australia would want a bloke like this at their club!!
Powerhouse clubs are established off the field through lots of $$$ and a junior club - Hard to be successful if you dont have one or the other.
Leagues need blokes like this also as you would have to think his contribution to Heidelberg would be $100K a year for 10 years + ?
Attracts the great players to the the NFL rather than other comps.
Did he arrive at the Bergs when Murphy & Sinclair came across?
Arrived before that, reckon Brian Wilson or someone associated with him got him down when Wilson was coach. Second half of the 90’s or thereabouts.

Watched the first half Macleod v Laurimar. 2 goal southerly breeze . It was Macleod leading 3.7 to 3.4 at half time.
Notable absentees were Hurley and White.
I've been a past member, committee member and sponsor of Macleod but to be honest, I've been disconnected with the club since Ramsey left.
Laurimar looked quick by foot and should do okay in Division 2. They have loads of young kids coming through.
Macleod looked awful for a D1 team. Most of their backline was controlled by Darcy Barden and had he not been playing, Laurimar would have been leading easily.
I honestly can't see us winning more than 1 or 2 games this season and probably should head down to D2 just to be more competitive.
Just my observations and I hope they prove me wrong

Watched the first half Macleod v Laurimar. 2 goal southerly breeze . It was Macleod leading 3.7 to 3.4 at half time.
I've been a past member, committee member and sponsor of Macleod but to be honest, I've been disconnected with the club since Ramsey left.
Laurimar looked quick by foot and should do okay in Division 2. They have loads of young kids coming through.
Macleod looked awful for a D1 team. Most of their backline was controlled by Darcy Barden and had he not been playing, Laurimar would have been leading easily.
I honestly can't see us winning more than 1 or 2 games this season and probably should head down to D2 just to be more competitive.
What's preventing them from recruiting?
I'm assuming they now struggle financially and just can't make attractive offers?
Do you know?

With the Football starting next week and many pots downed with players, supporters and committee members over the preseason it is time for a ladder prediction:

• North H
  • Heidelberg
  • Banyule
  • Monty
  • Hursty

• Bundy
  • Panthers
  • Slime

• West
  • Macleod

I reckon the top 5 sides are miles ahead of the bottom 5 and the bottom 5 are in 2 divisions also - Just an opinion based on playing lists and clubs access to VFL players. Some of the VFL players will only play 3 NFNL games with their NFNL club as they are either classy players or they are playing with Preston or Coburg and will get a game there each week.

laurimars last game was in D3 and picked up not much. If Macleod couldn’t beat them by 100+ they are in deep deep trouble.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What do people who have an eye on the VFL and local leagues think of the view..."Most of the players at Preston & Coburg VFL teams would not get a regular game for the top 2 sides in the EDFL, EFL, WRFL & NFNL. Are those 2 sides that bad?

With the Football starting next week and many pots downed with players, supporters and committee members over the preseason it is time for a ladder prediction:

• North H
  • Heidelberg
  • Banyule
  • Monty
  • Hursty

• Bundy
  • Panthers
  • Slime

• West
  • Macleod

I reckon the top 5 sides are miles ahead of the bottom 5 and the bottom 5 are in 2 divisions also - Just an opinion based on playing lists and clubs access to VFL players. Some of the VFL players will only play 3 NFNL games with their NFNL club as they are either classy players or they are playing with Preston or Coburg and will get a game there each week.

Attachments

• IMG_2622.jpeg
    IMG_2622.jpeg
    128.1 KB · Views: 159
Plenty seem to jumping on dogs lately. Quite a few weren’t so sure months ago. 50 % of div 1 coaches now tipping them too. ( can’t vote for their own club)

One thing is certain, I am expecting a record amount of 10 goal wins in the comp. The gap in the comp is quite decent .

Ok final predictions before the real stuff kicks off

-Ladder-

North Heidelberg
Montmorency
Heidelberg
Hurstbridge
Bundoora
———————-
Banyule
Boro
Eltham
West Preston
Macloed

GF - North Heidelberg vs Mont (preston city oval sell out)

Premier - North Heidelberg

Comp Medal - Nash Holmes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back