NFNL Div 3 discussion 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Thinking outside the box , not even sure if possible.
I don’t believe a ‘merge ‘ would work, I’m guessing most of the guys in both clubs Ressies are the ‘call up’ Thursday evening ‘can you play?’ tight of blokes ( doing it for the club) , so I’d say you’ll lose most of these guys in a merge.
Once merged , at least 1 of the clubs (whichever their not based at) is gone forever.
I’m guessing both clubs are filled with ‘club men’ so you lose those people too.
What about if the NFL sponsor the bottom 2 clubs in div.3 , say $20-$25,000.
A bit of a tax right off for the league , a real chop out to those 2 bottom sides.
Now this can be invested in whatever way the club decides , but must be spent.
An example would be , the ability to bring in 4-5 good footballers on avg $300 a game ( up to club then to create culture to keep these players) or $ could be used to invest in juniors / U19s etc etc
I know it sounds ‘unfair’ to all the other clubs but if ongoing , who knows which clubs will need the $ injection going fwd.
Just a thought , as I’m sure there’s a bit of $ relief to new clubs coming into league , maybe better to invest in the clubs you already have..
I like your different thinking, but rewarding mediocrity never works.
Also, other clubs, ie. West, who struggled for years and have pulled themselves up without help, would probably consider this a severe slap in the face.
These clubs have put themselves in this position, especially Ressa, certainly don't deserve to be rewarded.

On SM-G980F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don’t believe a ‘merge ‘ would work, I’m guessing most of the guys in both clubs Ressies are the ‘call up’ Thursday evening ‘can you play?’ tight of blokes ( doing it for the club) , so I’d say you’ll lose most of these guys in a merge.
Once merged , at least 1 of the clubs (whichever their not based at) is gone forever.
I’m guessing both clubs are filled with ‘club men’ so you lose those people too.
A bit of a tax right off for the league , a real chop out to those 2 bottom sides.
An example would be , the ability to bring in 4-5 good footballers on avg $300 a game ( up to club then to create culture to keep these players) or $ could be used to invest in juniors / U19s etc etc
I know it sounds ‘unfair’ to all the other clubs but if ongoing , who knows which clubs will need the $ injection going fwd.
Just a thought , as I’m sure there’s a bit of $ relief to new clubs coming into league , maybe better to invest in the clubs you already have..
Extra cash is not the answer… Planned development is from primary school ages and help them that way (maybe invest the money into a dedicated NFNL club development manager… who actually has a clue).

Help the clubs with percentages lower than 50 for the season (for example) have every junior player from the NFNL who has played more than 50 games be 1 point regardless of MOU’s and alignment for a period.

They need to think creatively - it’s inevitable the clubs without help are going to disappear

Last edited:
The league sponsoring clubs for $25,000 would cause the biggest uproar in league history and rightly so.

Not to mention if you think Lalor or Reservoir could attract quality players for $300 a game you are dreaming!

I like your different thinking, but rewarding mediocrity never works.
Also, other clubs, ie. West, who struggled for years and have pulled themselves up without help, would probably consider this a severe slap in the face.
These clubs have put themselves in this position, especially Ressa, certainly don't deserve to be rewarded.

On SM-G980F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Ignoring clubs in the past for years shouldn’t mean they let Suburbs be void of a football identity now… Don’t repeat mistakes made - Grow the game, shouldn’t that be a KPI for keeping a paid position…?

2/4 league ambassadors for Melbournes inner north. I’m talking high profile ex player types Houli, Jong, Thomas, Roughead. They visit schools, run clinics at the schools, run sports classes with PE teachers. The kids start to know these blokes on a first name basis

Literally give every school 1000 Sherrins, free Auskick lessons and 100 free family tickets to the games each week. Kids can run home with a free family voucher to attend games

AFL players run the Auskick and I mean literally run. Put the cones out, run the drills, organise the volunteers. If you attend Auskick you’ll be running into the stars biggest games.

Yes it’ll be expensive but they need to reignite the area if they are serious.

2/4 league ambassadors for Melbournes inner north. I’m talking high profile ex player types Houli, Jong, Thomas, Roughead. They visit schools, run clinics at the schools, run sports classes with PE teachers. The kids start to know these blokes on a first name basis

Literally give every school 1000 Sherrins, free Auskick lessons and 100 free family tickets to the games each week. Kids can run home with a free family voucher to attend games

AFL players run the Auskick and I mean literally run. Put the cones out, run the drills, organise the volunteers. If you attend Auskick you’ll be running into the stars biggest games.

Yes it’ll be expensive but they need to reignite the area if they are serious.
What AFL player would want to do that?

Criteria needs to be set really doesnt it before the start of 2023, if the clubs even get to this point.

• Minimum amount of regsitered players by April 1
  • Minimum amount of $$ reserves
  • Plans for sustainable growth
etc etc

This should go for all clubs that have had a forfeit in any grade, across the whole competition.

Criteria needs to be set really doesnt it before the start of 2023, if the clubs even get to this point.

• Minimum amount of regsitered players by April 1
  • Minimum amount of $$ reserves
  • Plans for sustainable growth
etc etc

This should go for all clubs that have had a forfeit in any grade, across the whole competition.
The whole minimum thing never works. They’ll just ask anyone to register even with zero intention to play.

I wonder what their new coaches will do. Hopefully they are both in for the long haul but couldn’t blame them if they walked away.

The whole minimum thing never works. They’ll just ask anyone to register even with zero intention to play.

I wonder what their new coaches will do. Hopefully they are both in for the long haul but couldn’t blame them if they walked away.

Really?? If thats the case just shut the doors. No chance of survival if thats the case.

Fold them both for the season and merge them for 2023. If identity is lost so be it they only have themselves to blame.
Blame past years incompetencies as to why they have ended up that way. The league shouldn’t have to come up with the solutions for clubs poorly ran.
Reservoir didn’t think about sustainability when they won a flag - they decided to recruit older blokes who weren’t going to hang around to compete in div 2, they didn’t look to progress juniors or find an affiliation. KPJFC had no senior link at that stage, you’d think those could have been explored before West got involved with them.

WPL up the road have strong junior and senior numbers, why would there not have been outside the box thinking to target guys struggling to get a go there?

Lalor have been on a down hill slide, mass exodus of players a few years ago one can assume for financial reason bought about by their own self doing along with a negative image around the comp for incidents and behaviour probably only hurt over the years too. Thomastown have been able to survive quite well so again the area can’t solely be blamed when surrounding areas have teams competing just fine.

Go out look for replacements there’s options around, sell the league as giving new opportunity, give examples like turtles and banyule and you might just land an ivanhoe, preston or even Bulleen into the comp over time. Lalor and reservoir as sad as it sounds are done, can’t see it coming back from this unless a miracle happens.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Laurimar vs South - Hard to pick. South with their ruck stocks returning Will help but i feel at Laurimar they may just get the job done. Power 15

Turtles vs Res - Turtles 200

Mernda vs West - Season over for the loser here. West with 7 changes look to be bringing in some much needed reinforcements. I really think this might be close. im giving mernda a chance but i think west will do it 23

Kilmore vs Lalor - Kilmore 250

Round 6

Old Eltham (3rd 4-1) vs Reservoir (7th 1-4) The turtles will look to further increase their % this week against the struggling Reservoir. Experienced trio Quinton, Rogers and Snowdon return for the turtles and with Milne in great touch up forward will have too much class for Reservoir. Turtles by 137

Heidelberg West (6th 1-4) vs Mernda (5th 2-3) West will be desperate to get back on the winners list facing a confident Mernda who have had back to back wins. West get back Louis Hill and Mozdzierz which will help. Kimuliatis looms as a big threat for West and whoever gets the job on him will have his work cut out, Bulman most likely. Can West kickstart their 2022 campaign or will Mernda get 3 wins in a row. Heidelberg West by 14 points

Kilmore (4th 4-1) vs Lalor (8th 0-5). The bloods take the trip up to Kilmore looking to put in a competitive showing. The blues though with Ryall and Taylor-Egan leading the coaches award will have too much depth for the bloods. Kilmore by 138 points

Match of the day in Division 3 sees Laurimar (2nd 4-1) vs Sth Morang (1st 4-1). The Power were impressive in beating West last week with Jacson Cecil leading the way. Cecil stands 3rd in competition leading goalkickers and Sth Morang coaching staff will have plans to stop him. For the Lions coming off their first loss of the season, can they bounce back. They have added Failla and Stefanile back into their team and with Peterson and Mitch Kalapakis in good goalkicking form might be too much for the Power. Sth Morang by 14 points.

Enjoy the footy and remember it’s Pat Cronin Foundation round, let’s end the coward punch

Turtles by 180, less said the better

Kilmore by 180, less said the better

West by 4-5 goals, despite being seriously undermanned last week there form line looks better than Mernda. Looks to be some strong inclusions but Mernda look pretty close to full strength and I’m expecting a close game.

Laurimar by 2 goals, I’m good form and have been fortunate to keep most of there players on the park despite Thompson going down with a hamstring. South missing too many stars still with Potter Hall and Power out.

It’s been something that seems to keep cropping up and I personally think it’s a matter of time. But pretty sure Wallan are happy where they are
Thoughts on Wallan going straight to Div 2, I think they would be too strong for Div 3, they have Seniors, Reserves and Club 18 team so plenty of numbers to chose from. Again netball would be an issue.

Cracking game at Heidelberg West today. Both sides didn't leave anything out on the field. Was going to mention the Umpires but better not.

Bad luck to the Demons today deserved the 4 points

Cracking game at Heidelberg West today. Both sides didn't leave anything out on the field. Was going to mention the Umpires but better not.

28-2 last quarter, after being 3 goals down at 3 quarter time

Full credit to Heidelberg West for a big last quarter.

28-2 last quarter, after being 3 goals down at 3 quarter time

Full credit to Heidelberg West for a big last quarter.
They did play a fantastic last 1/4. Listened to the HW coaches address at 3/4 time and the players did exactly what he asked.

Mernda went from attacking for 3 quarters to defending in the last cost them.
Great battle for the Butterworth Cup.

South Morang invincibility well and truely gone

A loss next week to the Turtles and a super tough draw playing Lalor and Res only 4 times could make it very very hard.
for sure the players arnt happy and its starting to show . every side has injuries but morang ressies lost there first game in 18 months but if any side had depth to cover injuries it would have been them .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back