NFNL Div 3 discussion 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 4 and tipped 4 out of 4

Winner of the round: Old Eltham Collegians who got their first win over Laurimar in a tight battle at Turtle Park. 20-12 scoring shots by the turtles could have made the job easier but they came from behind to get a vital 4 points.

Loser of the round: Hard to be critical of reservoir as by all reports they have a number of unavailability last week due to COVID and injuries. Giving a walkover in the reserves and not scoring in the seniors is a bad weekend. It was a very very young team but on the park against Sth Morang and let’s hope they get a few players back this week.

Leading goal kickers
Ben Peterson - Sth Morang - 14
Mitch Kalpakis- Sth Morang -14
Nathan Stefanile -Sth Morang -13
Alex Colaidis - Sth Morang - 11
Jacson Cecil -Laurimar - 11

Unfortunately its just not sustainable to have Lalor and Reservoir sporadically fielding teams. Ruins the integrity of the competition.

Its bloody sad to see this happen, but there's just no way the league will persist with them through 2023 and beyond. Their time is better spent investing in clubs in other regions that can show growth.

Unfortunately its just not sustainable to have Lalor and Reservoir sporadically fielding teams. Ruins the integrity of the competition.

Its bloody sad to see this happen, but there's just no way the league will persist with them through 2023 and beyond. Their time is better spent investing in clubs in other regions that can show growth.
Yep, i mean if they are having dramas now it’ll only get worse as the season goes on.

Easy fix it merging their ressies and the club just put in 12 players a piece.

It’s no good for the divisions rep entirely to have 2 sides this poor and forfeiting games.

Besides that the standard of the top 5 is some of the best I’ve seen in a long time in D3.

Yep, i mean if they are having dramas now it’ll only get worse as the season goes on.

Easy fix it merging their ressies and the club just put in 12 players a piece.

It’s no good for the divisions rep entirely to have 2 sides this poor and forfeiting games.

Besides that the standard of the top 5 is some of the best I’ve seen in a long time in D3.
Couldn't disagree more. Went and watched South Morang on the weekend and have watched then twice this year. The team they are fielding wouldn't have got within 10 goals of Epping or South Morang 6-7 years ago. The standard is not good

Should Lalor and Reservoir merge in future? Is it the age demographic in the area meaning fewer young adults playing locally? Also more people playing soccer? I don't see how the comp can continue to support two teams with such terrible performances and lacking numbers for reserves - they're only down the road from each other would make sense.

When I was a kid we played against Lalor Bloods, Lalor Stars and West Lalor, do the Stars and West even exist anymore as junior clubs?

Should Lalor and Reservoir merge in future? Is it the age demographic in the area meaning fewer young adults playing locally? Also more people playing soccer? I don't see how the comp can continue to support two teams with such terrible performances and lacking numbers for reserves - they're only down the road from each other would make sense.

When I was a kid we played against Lalor Bloods, Lalor Stars and West Lalor, do the Stars and West even exist anymore as junior clubs?
No Mate... Lalor Stars and West shut up shop almost 10 years ago now. There isn't 1 registered junior in the entire suburb.

For people to suggest it's easier for the NFNL to turn their backs on these clubs is astounding - Get out from behind your desk at HQ and help with genuine support (i can assure you they were warned)... Get creative and get a 10 year plan behind them with Auskick and Primary school age support. Give them some hope and guidance.

If people think not fielding a reserves side in D3 off the back of COVID is hurting the "IMAGE", wait until clubs topple over and there is a fledging competition across both divisions due to imbalance in numbers.

This isn't just isolated to Lalor and Resa, there is a huge cliff on the horizon for clubs west of Plenty Road - Kids are just not wanting to join and the league needs to stop being bean counting police officers and start focusing on what their core business is which is a football competition for the suburbs within their region. SUPPORT THEM.

No Mate... Lalor Stars and West shut up shop almost 10 years ago now. There isn't 1 registered junior in the entire suburb.

For people to suggest it's easier for the NFNL to turn their backs on these clubs is astounding - Get out from behind your desk at HQ and help with genuine support (i can assure you they were warned)... Get creative and get a 10 year plan behind them with Auskick and Primary school age support. Give them some hope and guidance.

If people think not fielding a reserves side in D3 off the back of COVID is hurting the "IMAGE", wait until clubs topple over and there is a fledging competition across both divisions due to imbalance in numbers.

This isn't just isolated to Lalor and Resa, there is a huge cliff on the horizon for clubs west of Plenty Road - Kids are just not wanting to join and the league needs to stop being bean counting police officers and start focusing on what their core business is which is a football competition for the suburbs within their region. SUPPORT THEM.
That sucks and it must be terrible for those doing their best with limited time and resources to try and make things work.

What do you see as the main issues? Are kids playing other sports like soccer instead or just not playing anything at all? Are there just fewer kids in the area compared to 30 or 40 years ago?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That sucks and it must be terrible for those doing their best with limited time and resources to try and make things work.

What do you see as the main issues? Are kids playing other sports like soccer instead or just not playing anything at all? Are there just fewer kids in the area compared to 30 or 40 years ago?
Its a huge range of things and there's no silver bullet but the first step is for the NFNL is to listen and get behind the clubs that are already established... Don't ignore them and wait for it all to magically happen... And not at a senior level, AUSKICK and primary school ages. Without 100-150 Auskickers, the evidence suggest clubs will battle to field a 17's when the generation evolves so without that pipeline, you are playing on borrowed time and promises, club support dwindles and it spirals into disaster.

People want GENUINE help and support - Get out to schools and market/promote the league and clubs within to kids from pre-school ages.
Be specific in the targets, act for the micro, the generational teams and the volunteer trying their best - Don't just sit and wait for a burnt out admin staffer with low-level skill-set to build it from a blank piece of paper...! Have a plan.

Maybe ALL NFNL players from junior levels attract one point for a period of 3 years for Resa and Lalor (local footy's version of a priority pick) just be deliberate in the attempts, think creatively to grow the game and help their history survive.

Last edited:

Benny, you are 100% correct in what you are saying, Jnr numbers and teams shrinking west of plenty rd, Including power houses Morang and Mernda. Mill Park almost stuffed as well. No support or innovation from the league. Not once in my time involved at the bloods has Macdougal or his cohorts reached out to ask “how r u Going” or “how can we help” or “this is our plan”. They would prefer to fine u for wearing the wrong socks.

Mergers between clubs is a Sugar hit and the high will fast die. NFNL stand up a provide a plan for the future of suburban football in the north.

No chance
Why did he return?

NFNL should have AFL at their disposal to give areas a boost when required

Really Auskick should be FREE. It’s run by volunteers It would cost f all. I believe they take a large cut of the $100 fee (someone correct me if I’m wrong. Make it free, hand out flyers to parents via school. Parents love free activities

Free passes for school to attend afl. 100 family passes per school for kids to use. Maybe afl clubs could fund this?

Really it’s too late to be a quick fix . When clubs started disappearing in Lalor the AFL should have thrown absolutely everything at it.

Auskick is the key. I loved it and immediately wanted to play for my local side. The AFL need to make it easier and cheaper (yes realistically it’s cheap but could be free)

Benny, you are 100% correct in what you are saying, Jnr numbers and teams shrinking west of plenty rd, Including power houses Morang and Mernda. Mill Park almost stuffed as well. No support or innovation from the league. Not once in my time involved at the bloods has Macdougal or his cohorts reached out to ask “how r u Going” or “how can we help” or “this is our plan”. They would prefer to fine u for wearing the wrong socks.

Mergers between clubs is a Sugar hit and the high will fast die. NFNL stand up a provide a plan for the future of suburban football in the north
Why did he return?

Really Auskick should be FREE. It’s run by volunteers It would cost f all. I believe they take a large cut of the $100 fee (someone correct me if I’m wrong. Make it free, hand out flyers to parents via school. Parents love free activities

Free passes for school to attend afl. 100 family passes per school for kids to use. Maybe afl clubs could fund this?

Really it’s too late to be a quick fix . When clubs started disappearing in Lalor the AFL should have thrown absolutely everything at it.

Auskick is the key. I loved it and immediately wanted to play for my local side. The AFL need to make it easier and cheaper (yes realistically it’s cheap but could be free)
AFLVIC… You mean the Game Development Managers…. I’d love to share my thoughts there but maybe another place and time.

FREE is never an answer… 100% goes to AFL, it is astounding when you consider all the levels of nothing they provide. More should go back to the clubs that host it (along with a cut of the NAB sponsorship)

Each Auskicker nominates a AFL team and they get 3 game pass (that’s considered a club membership also)

The support should be from local levels (micro) not AFL - The elite competitions need to back further away… This is on NFNL and their admin, not AFL.

When you have pride and genuine love for a club/region you find a way… Maybe agendas of those that can make a difference should be looked at more closely and start being brought to account

Why did he return?

I expect him to only play vs Reservoir, maybe I will be wrong. I understand he stopped playing footy due to work and family commitments.

Auskick should be free and kids designated to clubs or areas. Clubs without seniors should be told who to be affiliated with, not arranged with the committee of the day. These deals should always be for the betterment of football.

Benny always said the future of Lalor was to have the best Auskick program in the northern suburbs. He is 100% correct and it’s a shame the league and club can’t see or understand the vision.

Would the Vafa be a viable option for Lalor or reservoir? D4 is a significant drop in standard against clubs in similar positions of recruitment and would bring a point of difference to other clubs in the area?

AFLVIC… You mean the Game Development Managers…. I’d love to share my thoughts there but maybe another place and time.

FREE is never an answer… 100% goes to AFL, is astounding when you consider all the levels of nothing they provide.

Each Auskicker nominates a team and they get 3 game passes (that’s considered a club membership also)

The support should be local (micro) not AFL - The elite competitions need to back further away… This is on NFNL and their admin, not AFL.

When you have pride and genuine love for a club/region you find a way… Maybe agendas of those that can make a difference should be looked at more closely and start being brought to account
Would the Vafa be a viable option for Lalor or reservoir? D4 is a significant drop in standard against clubs in similar positions of recruitment and would bring a point of difference to other clubs in the area?
Taking a suburban culture into the ammo travel/attendance/restricted sales landscape would be suicide.

The solutions a long burn and it starts with 4-6 year olds… Clubs need significant and genuine help to build from that point and support to help them through the next period (it can turn quickly) but it’s not a one-size fits all solution.

Who is actually helping clubs grow from a league perspective…?

Why did he return?

I assume the fees go towards resources ie all the footies the kids use, other equipment etc ground fees to the council

Really it is pretty cheap my son did indoor soccer a couple of years back that was a couple of hundred each term, karate is a couple hundred a month for two kids, even swimming lessons for kids are around $150 a term which is around $20 a lesson and the lessons only half an hour vs an hour of Auskick. Auskick averages out to around $10 a week which is cheap in comparison to other kids sports/activities.

I assume the fees go towards resources ie all the footies the kids use, other equipment etc ground fees to the council

Really it is pretty cheap my son did indoor soccer a couple of years back that was a couple of hundred each term, karate is a couple hundred a month for two kids, even swimming lessons for kids are around $150 a term which is around $20 a lesson and the lessons only half an hour vs an hour of Auskick. Auskick averages out to around $10 a week which is cheap in comparison to other kids sports/activities.
I agree with the costs, it is very affordable… it’s more about where the money ends up and why.

if there was a financial incentive to operate as well as the junior player advantages, you would see an increase towards it being a division of a club approach. At the moment you really need to hope and beg good people to invest a lot of time for very little security/reward.

Taking a suburban culture into the ammo travel/attendance/restricted sales landscape would be suicide.

The solutions a long burn and it starts with 4-6 year olds… Clubs need significant and genuine help to build from that point and support to help them through the next period (it can turn quickly) but it’s not a one-size fits all solution.

Who is actually helping clubs grow from a league perspective…?
Parkside were rooted not that long ago now thriving in the VAFA.. I don't think it's suicide at all.

Parkside were rooted not that long ago now thriving in the VAFA.. I don't think it's suicide at all.
Works for some clubs. Doesn’t work for others.

Junior football certaintly needs a boost in all suburbs. Eltham Research and Yarrambat required a 3 way merge to get a 17s on the park the other season, I couldn’t fathom that 10 years ago.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back